Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,275 members, 7,881,037 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:20 AM

How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom (1716 Views)

British Govt Must Issue An Autopsy Report In The Inevitable Buhari Demise / Nnamdi Kanu Wears Royal Attire As He Cherishes His Freedom. Photos / James Ibori Celebrates His Freedom On The Streets Of London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by freeze001(f): 10:50am On Dec 23, 2016
Influential former Delta State Governor, Chief James Onanefe Ibori, had to outsmart lawyers working for the British Government before he could regain his freedom from British jail, his Media Assistant, Tony Eluemunor, disclosed this evening in a statement.

Eluemunor said that following Ibori’s successful legal challenge against the attempt to continue to keep him in prison, Her Honour, Mrs. Justice Juliet May, Queen’s Counsel, ordered his immediate release at 12:20 p.m., Wednesday, December 21, 2016.

“With that Ibori’s lawyers won a major victory against the British Home Office, at the Royal Court of Justice, Queens Court 1, London, by successfully challenging the decision not to release Ibori who was due for freedom on Tuesday, December 20, after serving his sentence,” Eluemunor said.

Continuing, he said: “In a curious move, the British Home Office, instead of releasing Ibori on December 20, informed him that he would be detained on the grounds that his confiscation hearing had not been concluded.

“So, in court, Ibori’s lawyers exposed the injustice in the indefinite detention the Home Office had planned for Ibori. They told the Judge that there were no grounds in law under which Ibori could be detained and that his detention for one day by the Home office was unlawful.

“Therefore, there was high drama in the British High Court as senior lawyers for the UK’s Home Office failed in their last minute bid to prevent Ibori’s release. The apparent decision to block Ibori’s release and detain him appears to have come from the highest echelons of the UK Government – the Home Secretary who was accused in today’s hearing of acting unlawfully and misusing her powers.

“Sian Davies, the Crown Prosecution lawyer did not object to Ibori’s release and return to Nigeria, yet at the last minute the Home Office stepped in. There is clear discord between the two arms of the British Government.

“Ibori’s team was led by Ian McDonald QC, the leading QC on immigration.

“The visibly irritated Judge could not understand the Home Secretary’s position and at times was critical of the move to detain Ibori any further. Mrs Justice May rejected the Home Secretary’s requests for conditions to be imposed and ordered Ibori’s immediate release.

Ivan Krolic, who also attended, explained that Ibori’s confiscation proceedings collapsed in 2013, after the Prosecution was unable to establish any theft from the Delta State and any benefit for Ibori, from anywhere. A three-week hearing which heard live evidence was abandoned by the prosecutors – Wass QC and Shutzer-Weissman. Both prosecutors have since been dismissed from the case for gross misconduct.

“Krollic further explained that British police officers in the case led by DC McDonald, have again been referred to the Independent Public Complaints Commission and now face a thorough investigation into their corrupt activities in this case. The CPS has confirmed officers in the case were corrupt. It has since disclosed substantial material evidencing the graft.

“Ibori and others have long maintained that this prosecution was politically motivated. It was funded by the UK’s Department for International Development, DFID, whose senior employee was also the jury foreperson in one of the earlier trials.

“The Ibori case has been plagued with British police corruption, exceptional prosecutorial misconduct and fundamental non-disclosure. A multitude of Appeals have now been launched or are in the process of being launched.”

Eluemunor spoke of “spontaneous eruptions of celebrations by Ibori’s supporters, especially in (Delta State capital) Asaba and (Ibori’s hometown) Oghara, where people poured out into the streets to celebrate the good news that their champion has regained his freedom.”

http://newsexpressngr.com/news/32308
Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by Kenshinmunac(m): 10:54am On Dec 23, 2016
That's why he is the Godfather!
Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by Adminisher: 10:57am On Dec 23, 2016
Let me get this straight. You steal your people's money to another man's country and that country jail's you and retrieves that money and keeps it. They are charging you £18million pounds before they allow you to go .

So with all these you have outsmarted British Government

Stupidity is in the blood of Niger Delta people. No wonder they are not good for anything other than drinking and #@$.

8 Likes

Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by torres89: 11:05am On Dec 23, 2016
you call 6 years in prison outsmart
it should be how the British government pitied James ibori

3 Likes

Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by yarimo(m): 11:16am On Dec 23, 2016
And that is how US judge also out smart IBORI to spend some years in prison. grin
Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by gunuvi(m): 1:33pm On Dec 23, 2016
Adminisher:
Let me get this straight. You steal your people's money to another man's country and that country jail's you and retrieves that money and keeps it. They are charging you £18million pounds before they allow you to go .

Stupidity is in the blood of Niger Delta people. No wonder they are not good for anything other than drinking and #@$.
my brother, you lacks simple sense of reasoning. Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by vickylincon(m): 11:15pm On Jan 05, 2017
Adminisher:

you dey mind them.. Just watch how they will attack you without going to the point.

2 Likes

Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by talktimi(m): 12:37am On Jan 06, 2017
vickylincon:
you dey mind them.. Just watch how they will attack you without going to the point.
f00l, what stvpid point are you talking about ? Does the fact that Shina Rambo was an armed robber mean that all yorubas are amed robbers ? Why must your boyfriend and lover stereotype an entire tribe of people just because of his jaundiced way of reasoning ? Even a bushman from kuvukiland is more intelligent and exposed than you guys cool

1 Like

Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by vickylincon(m): 7:32am On Jan 06, 2017
talktimi:
f00l, what stvpid point are you talking about ? Does the fact that Shina Rambo was an armed robber mean that all yorubas are amed robbers ? Why must your boyfriend and lover stereotype an entire tribe of people just because of his jaundiced way of reasoning ? Even a bushman from kuvukiland is more intelligent and exposed than you guys cool
when the guy called you guys senseless, I thought he was wrong.. Now, I know why. The bad eggs among your tribe like you are the reason. That I support some of his points doesn't mean I hate the tribe. But the way some of you do encourage the avengers, that's y am angry with you guys cos they are spoiling your environment more. But now calling me a fool shows the character of your person. And I said it earlier, you guys will never bring out point.. You always resort to insults same as those e-warriors of ipob. I have ibo and Niger delta friends.. But the crops of people I see on nairaland everyday makes me worry for the future of Nigeria
Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by talktimi(m): 3:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
vickylincon:
when the guy called you guys senseless, I thought he was wrong.. Now, I know why. The bad eggs among your tribe like you are the reason. That I support some of his points doesn't mean I hate the tribe. But the way some of you do encourage the avengers, that's y am angry with you guys cos they are spoiling your environment more. But now calling me a fool shows the character of your person. And I said it earlier, you guys will never bring out point.. You always resort to insults same as those e-warriors of ipob. I have ibo and Niger delta friends.. But the crops of people I see on nairaland everyday makes me worry for the future of Nigeria
critically read your post again and tell me if it makes any sense to you. Point out where I've ever hero worshipped Ibori (even though he has served his punishment and is free to enjoy his life now) also point out where I've supported niger delta avengers. Can you prove it that ALL niger deltans support both Chief Ibori and the avengers ? Like I said earlier, stereotyping a people is a form of social backwardness and I owe you and your ilk no apologies for calling you guys f00ls when you deem it fit to insult my people, in fact I'll gladly call you guys f00ls again. cool

3 Likes

Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by me1234: 3:40pm On Jan 06, 2017
Adminisher:

I do not know where u are from, but one thing is sure is that ur entire lineage and the semen that gave birth to unfortunate you has the greatest stupidity in your bloood

1 Like

Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by Molake94(m): 3:54pm On Jan 06, 2017
gunuvi:

my brother, you lacks simple sense of reasoning. Nonsense

Afonja Everywhere grin grin grin
Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by Molake94(m): 3:56pm On Jan 06, 2017
me1234:

I do not know where u are from, but one thing is sure is that ur entire lineage and the semen that gave birth to unfortunate you has the greatest stupidity in your bloood

You Boiling for Nothing, it can boil yam grin
Re: How Ibori Outsmarted British Govt. And Regained His Freedom by vickylincon(m): 4:08pm On Jan 06, 2017
talktimi:
critically read your post again and tell me if it makes any sense to you. Point out where I've ever hero worshipped Ibori (even though he has served his punishment and is free to enjoy his life now) also point out where I've supported niger delta avengers. Can you prove it that ALL niger deltans support both Chief Ibori and the avengers ? Like I said earlier, stereotyping a people is a form of social backwardness and I owe you and your ilk no apologies for calling you guys f00ls when you deem it fit to insult my people, in fact I'll gladly call you guys f00ls again. cool
ordinarily, I won't have dignified you with a response.. But going by your points, it seems you are well versed in knowledge. I never put the blame on all of you and d guy did not do so. We just put the blame on all of the people supporting crime in your region. But calling someone a fool shows your level of maturity and intelligence. Have a nice day

(1) (Reply)

Soludo Is Joining The Cabinet / Pmb Dead? / How Buhari Tackled Recession Caused By Jonathan In One Year – Femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.