Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:52 AM

List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (67042 Views)

Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, / List Of The Over 80 Ethnic Groups In Ethiopia / 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by greatjoey: 8:58am On Jan 08, 2017
laudate:

How interesting!! wink Anytime they say that Igbos are the indigenous people of Ibaji in Kogi State, I always laugh!! cheesy

Whoever says ibaji belongs to Igbo is not a good student of history. Ask such a person what ibaji means in Igbo language? In Igala, it means riverriners or river people. The founders were children and bonafide descendants of Idoko, OMA Abutu Eje. They were warriorsvwhom were sent from Ida to Bini, now Benin to wage a war against the Bini people. Igala, having defeated Bini in the previous war, killed Onu Bini and seized the eju b'eju ailo which the Attah Igala uses till date, the Bini people became afraid of the news. The Bini consequently selected their most beautiful women to go and welcome the Igala warriors while they were still afar. They were naked and the Igala warriors slept with them. This act defiled the charm the warrior came with to fight. Consequently, they returned and couldnt fight again. On their way back to Ida, they became afraid of the At a possible reaction of their failure. So, they decided to remain at where is called Onyedega today and sent an emissary to Ida of their plan to settle their. Being a rever-rine environment, they were name 'Ibo-Aji' hence Ibaji today. Thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by FengChui(m): 10:17am On Jan 08, 2017
demiladegold:
166 da best

GBU!!!!!!

God Bless U
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by laudate: 9:58pm On Jan 09, 2017
greatjoey:
Whoever says ibaji belongs to Igbo is not a good student of history. Ask such a person what ibaji means in Igbo language? In Igala, it means riverriners or river people. The founders were children and bonafide descendants of Idoko, OMA Abutu Eje. They were warriors whom were sent from Ida to Bini, now Benin to wage a war against the Bini people. Igala, having defeated Bini in the previous war, killed Onu Bini and seized the eju b'eju ailo which the Attah Igala uses till date, the Bini people became afraid of the news. The Bini consequently selected their most beautiful women to go and welcome the Igala warriors while they were still afar. They were naked and the Igala warriors slept with them. This act defiled the charm the warrior came with to fight. Consequently, they returned and couldnt fight again. On their way back to Ida, they became afraid of the At a possible reaction of their failure. So, they decided to remain at where is called Onyedega today and sent an emissary to Ida of their plan to settle their. Being a rever-rine environment, they were name 'Ibo-Aji' hence Ibaji today. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing!! Bless you... cheesy
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 4:04am On Jan 10, 2017
greatjoey:

Whoever says ibaji belongs to Igbo is not a good student of history. Ask such a person what ibaji means in Igbo language? In Igala, it means riverriners or river people. The founders were children and bonafide descendants of Idoko, OMA Abutu Eje. They were warriorsvwhom were sent from Ida to Bini, now Benin to wage a war against the Bini people. Igala, having defeated Bini in the previous war, killed Onu Bini and seized the eju b'eju ailo which the Attah Igala uses till date, the Bini people became afraid of the news. The Bini consequently selected their most beautiful women to go and welcome the Igala warriors while they were still afar. They were naked and the Igala warriors slept with them. This act defiled the charm the warrior came with to fight. Consequently, they returned and couldnt fight again. On their way back to Ida, they became afraid of the At a possible reaction of their failure. So, they decided to remain at where is called Onyedega today and sent an emissary to Ida of their plan to settle their. Being a rever-rine environment, they were name 'Ibo-Aji' hence Ibaji today. Thank you.

I do not think anyone here claimed the entire Ibaji to be Igbo but if I am correct, what was said rather was Igbo-influenced. Truth be told, Ibaji Igalas have a lot of Igbo influence in them that cannot be denied, from physical outlook, to speaking somewhat an Igbo-influenced Igala dialect, to even outlook on life. It is no brainer that so-called 'core igalas' from Idah and environs refer to Ibajis as 'omo Igbo' because of their Igbo-looking physical looks and also way of life. The entire Igala land uses the 4 Igbo market days which is of Nri origin. Idomas too and the Binis as well.

Also, we have an Igbo-speaking community made of several villages located in Igalamela/Odolu LGA - Eke Afulugo (Eke Avurugo) where Igbo is the first or native language and Igala comes as a second language to communicate with other Igalas. Akpanya is another Igbo-speaking community in Igalamela LGA where the natives speak entirely Igbo language and nothing else. Their speaking Igbo cannot just be tied down to inter-tribal marriage with Igbo speaking people. I find that hard to believe. Igbos from the Nsukka area must have settled down there in large numbers, and either assimilated the natives there or pursued them away. Odolu town in Igalamela LGA speaks Igbo as second language and Igala as first language. In addition, many towns in Igala south area have what we would call typical Igbo sounding names such as onicha, umueze, etc. Just as we have a few bilingual Igala speaking towns in Enugu state and Anambra state.

What I have often noticed is this taboo attitude somewhat to admitting to an Igbo influence or cultural exchange by other tribes but foreign-borrowed cultural exchanges by the Igbo from other tribes should be swallowed down the drain with full force. I always tell people, in history you cannot pick and choose which historical event to believe and what not to believe. Migrations in the past were not in one direction. A lot of to and fro movements happened between the borders of Igbo land north and Igala land south. In the end let us be mature enough to accept that we borrowed cultural influences from here and there. Such cultural exchanges happened when there was no collective ethnic identity, all that existed to the people were just languages.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 4:14am On Jan 10, 2017
Akpanya is a community under Igalamela/Odolu L.G.A of Kogi State. Being a border town between Kogi and Enugu States (Kogi is circled in blue in the map above), it’s so far away from its Local Government Secretariat which is located at Ajaka and very close to Igboeze South and Igboeze North Local Government areas in Enugu state. The community is made up of about 6000 Muslims, living in the Christian majority community - about 95% of the community are Ibos (Igbo and Hausa languages are commonly spoken). The Igbo Muslim community of Akpanya are not originally from the village, but made "hijrah" to the community after their ancestors converted to Islam. They have a very long history in the Akpanya community and are fully integrated into the community and its life.The Akpanya village is a very remote village that seem to enjoy nothing from the government in terms of provision of infrastructure- no good roads, no drinking water, no electricity, no good schools and no hospitals.
These Igbo Muslims of Akpanya have for time immemorial been mainly petty traders except for few among the younger generation now that are drivers in different companies and organizations, they survive on little, yet they tasked themselves to work extra for the purpose of making sure that their faith is maintained by building a Mosque which is used up to today as their one and only Central Mosque. There are two other Mosques three kilometers away from the central Mosque but are never used for Juma'ah Prayer. meaning, that all the sorrounding communities converge at this Mosque every Friday. Adjcent to the Central Mosque, is an uncompleted building which is serving as a classroom for teaching Islamic Studies, and it is called Islamiyya School. There are no desks, no chairs and no good blackboard.
The Akpanya Muslim Community
According to Alhaji Sayyidi (the Mufassir of the community), Akpanya is a very large community within which you can drive up to 40 kilometers before leaving the community.
The inhabitants are mostly settlers who are Fulanis and the Ibos (Ethnic Ibos being the larger segment of the population). Married men number around 500.

The Akpanya Christian Community with the help of the Catholic Church founded a school of higher standard that rivals that of the Muslims and so virtually all the Christian children were withdrawn, including some of the Muslims. This caused a decline in the population of the school which adversely affected the income of the School; as such, the highest pay for a teacher per Month now, dropped to four thousand Naira Only(4,000).
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 6:25pm On Jan 17, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You're not exposed well enough. Umuezekoha people of Benue state spread across 4 LGAs in Benue state. They number up to 1 million people. Look it up.
pls Wht the population of Benue state
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ibibiogrl: 5:34am On Feb 04, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Sorry. Ukanafun. The villages are Ohaobu, Mkpukpuagu and Ogbuagu.
I grew up in Abak, the immediate neighboring City to Ukanafun, but I have also confirm from a majority of my friends from Ukanafun including the daughter of the Paramount Ruler in Ukanafun. There are no such villages as any of these villages that you have mention in Ukanafun.
giles14:

http://www.nationalhelm.net/2016/12/gov-ben-ayade-hails-first-indigenous.html

engr MBA MBA eru.is from where pls
That's in Cross River state not Akwa Ibom state angry different states

3 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by giles14(m): 9:35am On Feb 04, 2017
ibibiogrl:

I grew up in Abak, the immediate neighboring City to Ukanafun, but I have also confirm from a majority of my friends from Ukanafun including the daughter of the Paramount Ruler in Ukanafun. There are no such villages as any of these villages that you have mention in Ukanafun.

ok
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by laudate: 4:28pm On Feb 04, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Akpanya is a community under Igalamela/Odolu L.G.A of Kogi State. Being a border town between Kogi and Enugu States (Kogi is circled in blue in the map above), it’s so far away from its Local Government Secretariat which is located at Ajaka and very close to Igboeze South and Igboeze North Local Government areas in Enugu state. The community is made up of about 6000 Muslims, living in the Christian majority community - about 95% of the community are Ibos (Igbo and Hausa languages are commonly spoken). The Igbo Muslim community of Akpanya are not originally from the village, but made "hijrah" to the community after their ancestors converted to Islam. They have a very long history in the Akpanya community and are fully integrated into the community and its life.The Akpanya village is a very remote village that seem to enjoy nothing from the government in terms of provision of infrastructure- no good roads, no drinking water, no electricity, no good schools and no hospitals.
These Igbo Muslims of Akpanya have for time immemorial been mainly petty traders except for few among the younger generation now that are drivers in different companies and organizations, they survive on little, yet they tasked themselves to work extra for the purpose of making sure that their faith is maintained by building a Mosque which is used up to today as their one and only Central Mosque. There are two other Mosques three kilometers away from the central Mosque but are never used for Juma'ah Prayer. meaning, that all the sorrounding communities converge at this Mosque every Friday. Adjcent to the Central Mosque, is an uncompleted building which is serving as a classroom for teaching Islamic Studies, and it is called Islamiyya School. There are no desks, no chairs and no good blackboard.
According to Alhaji Sayyidi (the Mufassir of the community), Akpanya is a very large community within which you can drive up to 40 kilometers before leaving the community.
The inhabitants are mostly settlers who are Fulanis and the Ibos (Ethnic Ibos being the larger segment of the population). Married men number around 500.

The Akpanya Christian Community with the help of the Catholic Church founded a school of higher standard that rivals that of the Muslims and so virtually all the Christian children were withdrawn, including some of the Muslims. This caused a decline in the population of the school which adversely affected the income of the School; as such, the highest pay for a teacher per Month now, dropped to four thousand Naira Only(4,000).

You have just confirmed what greatjoey said. The Igbo community in Akpanya are settlers or migrants into the area. They are not aborigines or indigenes of that town. So Akpanya does not have an Igbo origin. undecided

3 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:25am On Jul 18, 2017
ibibiogrl:

I'm from ukanafun and none of what he mentioned there are villages in ukanafun o.
The villages in ukanafun are Ikot Akpa Nkuk as headquarters, nkek urua Uko, nkek idim, ikot akpa idem, Mbiaso, Nyak Ibah and among others.

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ibibiogrl: 12:00am On Jul 28, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
I'm from ukanafun and none of what he mentioned there are villages in ukanafun o.
The villages in ukanafun are Ikot Akpa Nkuk as headquarters, nkek urua Uko, nkek idim, ikot akpa idem, Mbiaso, Nyak Ibah and among others.
Thank you for this confirmation smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Royan2017(m): 4:33pm On Jul 28, 2017
Is there any Pygmy tribe in Nigeria? If yes, what percentage of Nigerians are pygmies?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 29, 2017
patchsk:
Cross River people too much.
40+ languages...

That Na effect of dog meat.
a kilometer drive in cross river is another language.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by frankfab(m): 1:56pm On Sep 17, 2017
Proudly IGBO

2 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:31am On Dec 17, 2017
ibibiogrl:

Thank you for this confirmation smiley
afo base ke mmo? Yak e hook up ke December ammi eh
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:36am On Dec 17, 2017
patchsk:
Cross River people too much. 40+ languages...

That Na effect of dog meat.
shut up

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Dayoto: 12:20am On Dec 19, 2017
My tribe is not there o, what's going on?!
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ibibiogrl: 2:30pm On Dec 23, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
afo base ke mmo? Yak e hook up ke December ammi eh
Unfortunately mbaha ke Nigeria
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by laudate: 2:14am On Jan 23, 2018
greatjoey:
I am right in Kogi and an indigene at that. Which part of Kogi state are the indigenous Igboo? Is it Akpanya in Igalamela? Any Igbo person you meet there is a settler. At Ete in Olamaboro LG, any Igbo man you meet there is a settler for business too.

Hehehe..... cheesy

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by danieldinho: 12:53am On May 01, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Are they same or there are variations? I hear Peter odili is from there
sorry is coming these late, they are same, ndoni are pure stocked ukwuani. The world ndokwa is coined from ndo oshimile I.e riverine area of the Niger and ukwuani top land or mainland. If u look at the map of rivers state, at the top u would find ndoni separated from delta state through water boundary, ndoni use to be part of mid west Nigeria before the civil war and part of old bendel state, after the war it was ceded to rivers state because of its location across the river Niger, the people of obiofu addiah have more delta relations compare to rivers state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 01, 2018
danieldinho:
sorry is coming these late, they are same, ndoni are pure stocked ukwuani. The world ndokwa is coined from ndo oshimile I.e riverine area of the Niger and ukwuani top land or mainland. If u look at the map of rivers state, at the top u would find ndoni separated from delta state through water boundary, ndoni use to be part of mid west Nigeria before the civil war and part of old bendel state, after the war it was ceded to rivers state because of its location across the river Niger, the people of obiofu addiah have more delta relations compare to rivers state.
OK thank you

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by JikanBaura(m): 8:12pm On May 02, 2018
cheesy PROUDLY HAUSA Nigeria's most influential Ethnic group. cool
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Konquest: 5:13am On Jan 26, 2019
bigfrancis21:

I do not think anyone here claimed the entire Ibaji to be Igbo but if I am correct, what was said rather was Igbo-influenced. Truth be told, Ibaji Igalas have a lot of Igbo influence in them that cannot be denied, from physical outlook, to speaking somewhat an Igbo-influenced Igala dialect, to even outlook on life. It is no brainer that so-called 'core igalas' from Idah and environs refer to Ibajis as 'omo Igbo' because of their Igbo-looking physical looks and also way of life. The entire Igala land uses the 4 Igbo market days which is of Nri origin. Idomas too and the Binis as well.

Also, we have an Igbo-speaking community made of several villages located in Igalamela/Odolu LGA - Eke Afulugo (Eke Avurugo) where Igbo is the first or native language and Igala comes as a second language to communicate with other Igalas. Akpanya is another Igbo-speaking community in Igalamela LGA where the natives speak entirely Igbo language and nothing else. Their speaking Igbo cannot just be tied down to inter-tribal marriage with Igbo speaking people. I find that hard to believe. Igbos from the Nsukka area must have settled down there in large numbers, and either assimilated the natives there or pursued them away. Odolu town in Igalamela LGA speaks Igbo as second language and Igala as first language. In addition, many towns in Igala south area have what we would call typical Igbo sounding names such as onicha, umueze, etc. Just as we have a few bilingual Igala speaking towns in Enugu state and Anambra state.

What I have often noticed is this taboo attitude somewhat to admitting to an Igbo influence or cultural exchange by other tribes but foreign-borrowed cultural exchanges by the Igbo from other tribes should be swallowed down the drain with full force. I always tell people, in history you cannot pick and choose which historical event to believe and what not to believe. Migrations in the past were not in one direction. A lot of to and fro movements happened between the borders of Igbo land north and Igala land south. In the end let us be mature enough to accept that we borrowed cultural influences from here and there. Such cultural exchanges happened when there was no collective ethnic identity, all that existed to the people were just languages.

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Iba ji (Fever Wake/Woke) in Yoruba
language grin

I read a book where fever in Ibo
language is also called Iba.

What does Ibaji mean in Igala
language? What is fever in Igala?

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Konquest: 5:14am On Jan 26, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Interesting!
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Konquest: 6:21am On Jan 29, 2019
Nnamdd1:
A Comprehensive list of all the 371 Ethnic Groups in Nigeria.

Mine is 165, What is Yours?

Source: http://www.naijahelm.com/2016/12/complete-list-of-all-371-ethnic-groups-in-nigeria.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The New Mogadishu / When You Want To Get Married To An Igbo Girl(pic) / The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.