Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,283 members, 7,887,826 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:33 PM

By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads (24000 Views)

NPC Puts Nigeria’s Population At 198m / Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) / Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million, Kano Leading Lagos With 526,294 – Nbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by bettercreature(m): 9:26am On Dec 30, 2016
An analysis of the figures showed that Nigeria currently had an estimated population figure of 78,971,690 of those between the ages of 15 to 39.
The above statement is false! 15-39 are the largest population in Nigeria
It's difficult to know the true population of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Dirkcoyt: 9:27am On Dec 30, 2016
tbarrister:
can you compare kano land size to that of lagos or rivers , so why should you expect it to be congested?
You should know landmass is not a basis for population. from your logic, this mean Niger state is populous than kano right? And if you don't know economic migration is also a determinant factor in how population explode. Take this from someone who has visited kogi, kaduna, sokoto, katsina, zamfara, Kebbi, Abuja., niger state, except for kano which have not visited but I have friends there and I know how northerners celebrate it, with exception of kaduna and kano, I can tell you the rest are just plain desert encroaching piece of large land mass with few population! Only in North you see cattles on Highway.

4 Likes

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 30, 2016
tbarrister:
can you compare kano land size to that of lagos or rivers , so why should you expect it to be congested?

You're right about the land mass. Kano has massive land area. But my point is I've travelled through Kano city and the country side and as a matter of fact served in Kano. It's doesn't look 13 million to me. The north has a history of exaggerating population figures for political gains.

3 Likes

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Koleman(m): 9:33am On Dec 30, 2016
RockHard:
Crap. Everyone knows that even that 2006 census was a fraud. Nigeria has always politicized population censuses for obvious reasons. But Thank God there are other data sources that give a ballpark estimate of current state populations, like the one below gotten from the Telcos, courtesy of the same NBS, where you can easily deduce the most populated states in the country. The good thing about these sort of numbers is that they're devoid of ethnic/tribal, political or sentimental colorations that have always plagued national censuses. These are reliable enough data that points to the actual estimated population of each state as at today, whichever way one chooses to slice or dice it (you can choose to add 1 or 2 million to any of those numbers, doesn't make much difference in the end):

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/486
you try but you ignored one important determining factor. The literacy level. if we all agree that the north are educationally backward and 80% are almajiris who obviously do no own phones then these data becomes too thing and incomplete for conclusions.
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Godstraight(m): 9:35am On Dec 30, 2016
[quote author=nwabobo post=52382234][qoute]

You got it wrong there. Nigeria's market size is not equivalent to its population but rather to the size of the population that has got the purchasing power. Can Honda come and establish a plant in Nigeria because their population is almost 200M when SA with a much smaller population presents a bigger market for their product? How many Nigerians can afford to buy a new Honda?why not check the statistics before spilling trash because the last time I check Nigeria has the highest norminal GDP (PPP) in Africa,even the southern market alone outlarges other African market,you are talking of a whole 193 million people compare to 53 million,Honda cannot put their plant here because una nor get light,it doesn't even sell here ,Toyota sells more, MTN and DSTV,south African companies make more than 50% of their profit here in nigeria
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by me69: 9:36am On Dec 30, 2016
cjrane:
Nigeria is the ONLY West African country with the anomalous population distribution where the northern arid zones of West Africa supports more population than the southern rainforest belt near the Atlantic ocean.

In every other west African country, the southern areas have more population than the northern area EXCEPT Nigeria.

If you dig into this anomaly, you will discover Nigeria is the one that distributes resources based on population. Little wonder why merely counting themselves is such a hugely important event to rig in favor of the north.
Help me here. Which West African countries from the coast have significant arid zones except Nigeria. And if you actually been to the north you would know that there is lots of vegetation and during the raining season, it rains a lot.
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by RockHard: 9:39am On Dec 30, 2016
Koleman:
you try but you ignored one important determining factor. The literacy level. if we all agree that the north are educationally backward and 80% are almajiris who obviously do no own phones then these data becomes too thing and incomplete for conclusions.

Nice try. You don't need to be 'literate' to you use a dumb phone, guy. Communication is a NEED these days, even in the 'illiterate' North. I've seen an Elderly Aboki in Lagos ask me to assist him in loading his recharge card on an old Nokia phone he used in calling the North. Northerners were the biggest beneficiaries of GEJ's mobile phone fertilizer distribution initiative. In other words, most Northerners now use phones, maybe not necessarily smartphones.

4 Likes

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by vatiqan(m): 9:39am On Dec 30, 2016
They counted to the last unit. NBS, please how did you guys get to this figure, because I know of villages where women still put to birth without documentation.

I just believe the guy at NBS stays in Kuvukiland, where the smoke Beetle dung and plays much of gwarra-gwarra.

Dull heads like their oga at the top.

1 Like

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by tbarrister(m): 9:40am On Dec 30, 2016
Dirkcoyt:
You should know landmass is not a basis for population. from your logic, this mean Niger state is populous than kano right? And if you don't know economic migration is also a determinant factor in how population explode. Take this from someone who has visited kogi, kaduna, sokoto, katsina, zamfara, Kebbi, Abuja., niger state, except for kano which have not visited but I have friends there and I know how northerners celebrate it, with exception of kaduna and kano, I can tell you the rest are just plain desert encroaching piece of large land mass with few population! Only in North you see cattles on Highway.
you have not visited kano lol, kano is the commercial base of the north and people from chad , Niger , northern Cameroun all move to kano to trade in fact that's a historical fact , you are made to believe that kano land is empty forgetting their social cultural setting of massive reproduction and very little if any birth control is practiced , I never meant kano have larger population because of its land but I only countered someone who spoke about the congestion in Lagos being more than that in kano
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 30, 2016
wristbangle:
With the vast human and natural resources we have in this country, it's a pity that only few percentage are rich.

NBS estimation is wrong because Lagos is among the top 10 most populous city in the world.
in Africa not in d world. Lagos is not even in the top 20 in the world.
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 30, 2016
tbarrister:
look guys you need to stop wailing , kano definitely have more population, Lagos is very small when it comes to land size and therefore its densely more populated and congested , kano is the commercial capital of the north, we marry up to 4 wives , even atiku have up to 30 children , where do you think out population will be? the north has more population than the south take it or leave it, one idiot above posted some stats about who uses phones more and network , do you expect kano to have more phones than Lagos? where everybody eye don tear lol. you guys are there doing family planning but yet expecting a larger population upon all una abortions , ode!!!

Even UN and Lagos state govt estimates puts the population of Lag at 18-19m and u still dey doubt. Everyone who followed the 2005 census knows a lot of streets weren't counted and therefore was now was the census result in the south could reflect the actual population. As a matter of fact the census results was a gross under estimate of actual population figures in many southern cities.

Don't let yourself be carried away my northern political machinations. The population of Kano is inflated.

3 Likes

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by tbarrister(m): 9:44am On Dec 30, 2016
Fifthcolumnist:

You're right about the land mass. Kano has massive land area. But my point is I've travelled through Kano city and the country side and as a matter of fact served in Kano. It's doesn't look 13 million to me. The north has a history of exaggerating population figures for political gains.
I'm sure you were counting as you were travelling and you also moved all around the 44 local government area
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by wristbangle: 9:46am On Dec 30, 2016
Ighoga898:

Google is there for reference.
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by tbarrister(m): 9:50am On Dec 30, 2016
Fifthcolumnist:

Even UN and Lagos state govt estimates puts the population of Lag at 18-19m and u still dey doubt. Everyone who followed the 2005 census knows a lot of streets weren't counted and therefore was now was the census result in the south could reflect the actual population. As a matter of fact the census results was a gross under estimate of actual population figures in many southern cities.

Don't let yourself be carried away my northern political machinations. The population of Kano is inflated.
the population of Lagos is also inflated , its 2006 census not 2005 . , tge north have more population than the south simple, they marry more , they born more, they use less condoms and birth controls, lower crime rates, lower accidents , if you talk about foreigners like Ghanaians , Togolese etc moving to Lagos , then you should also talk about people from Niger, chad , cameroon moving into kano for greener pastures in far larger numbers because of the wide unmanned borders in the north
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by yedidiah(m): 9:58am On Dec 30, 2016
Rubbish!! I am sure very soon, they'll say Kaduna is more populated than Lagos.

During my time in Kano, I combed through the state, if I hear say them near 10million sef. Even Kanawas dey run go Lagos and Kaduna.

1 Like

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Koleman(m): 10:04am On Dec 30, 2016
RockHard:

Nice try. You don't need to be 'literate' to you use a dumb phone, guy. Communication is a NEED these days, even in the 'illiterate' North. I've seen an Elderly Aboki in Lagos ask me to assist him in loading his recharge card on an old Nokia phone he used in calling the North. Northerners were the biggest beneficiaries of GEJ's mobile phone fertilizer distribution initiative. In other words, most Northerners now use phones, maybe not necessarily smartphones.
hahaha. Do you know the same stats you rely upon can also be interpreted to mean less and less persons in the north use mobile phones? Like i said you are ignoring an important factor and making a random factor a major factor by making mobile phones goods of necessity which is not. So the same stats you posted may also mean the north do not see phones as important.
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Horus(m): 10:10am On Dec 30, 2016
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by RockHard: 10:13am On Dec 30, 2016
Koleman:
hahaha. Do you know the same stats you rely upon can also be interpreted to mean less and less persons in the north use mobile phones? Like i said you are ignoring an important factor and making a random factor a major factor by making mobile phones goods of necessity which is not. So the same stats you posted may also mean the north do not see phones as important.

In what way can it be interpreted to mean they don't see phones as important? By what logic? On what basis? Nigerian censuses have ALWAYS been controversial. Therefore unless one is conducted by international bodies/neural parties, they'll never be widely accepted for obvious reasons. These telcos data (from registered lines) are for now the closest things to an unbiased representation of an extrapolated estimate of population distribution in the country. If you have some other more reliable data please present it for us to peruse.

2 Likes

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Koleman(m): 10:28am On Dec 30, 2016
RockHard:

In what way can it be interpreted to mean they don't see phones as important? By what logic? On what basis? Nigerian censuses have ALWAYS been controversial. Therefore unless one is conducted by international bodies/neural parties, they'll never be widely accepted for obvious reasons. These telcos data (from registered lines) are for now the closest things to an unbiased representation of an extrapolated estimate of population distribution in the country. If you have some other more reliable data please present it for us to peruse.
no no. am not saying any data is wrong. am only saying no data anywhere in d world is completely flawless. I know Nigerian census can never be trusted too especially in the north. but one thing is for sure all data are based on certain assumptions. and assumptions mean ignoring other factors
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Origin(f): 10:31am On Dec 30, 2016
All I know is half of that population stays in Lagos. True we are now breathing in CO2 in Lagos due to overcrowding.

The next census must be fully automated and secured. Finger print, eye scan the whole nine yards. Everyone must be included then we will remove foreigners.

P.S - i dont know what bomb have been killing in the north . Who is computing d figure.

3 Likes

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 30, 2016
tbarrister:
the population of Lagos is also inflated , its 2006 census not 2005 . , tge north have more population than the south simple, they marry more , they born more, they use less condoms and birth controls, lower crime rates, lower accidents , if you talk about foreigners like Ghanaians , Togolese etc moving to Lagos , then you should also talk about people from Niger, chad , cameroon moving into kano for greener pastures in far larger numbers because of the wide unmanned borders in the north

Feel free to stick to what u believe in. As for me, in fully convinced the population figures in the north are inflated. Please go and do your research from several articles on the net. You can start with this
http://saharareporters.com/2013/12/10/debunked-harold-smith-nigeria-census-lies

1 Like

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 30, 2016
wristbangle:

Google is there for reference.
just follow dis link below.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762524.html
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by tbarrister(m): 11:17am On Dec 30, 2016
Fifthcolumnist:

Feel free to stick to what u believe in. As for me, in fully convinced the population figures in the north are inflated. Please go and do your research from several articles on the net. You can start with this
http://saharareporters.com/2013/12/10/debunked-harold-smith-nigeria-census-lies
guy did you even read before sending the link here, according to the article Harold Is an old man and he was a student in London in 1954 so how did the British send him to rigg 1952/1953 election in Nigeria ,, when he is not yet in Nigeria in 1954 , go and read your article and see how it counters the claim of the old man suffering from memory lose

1 Like

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by ceejay4real(m): 11:32am On Dec 30, 2016
Buyeradvertcom:

National Population Commission (NPC) and the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) have put the current figure of Nigeria’s population at 193,392,517.
This is just as the Federal Government proposed a total budget of N9.799 billion for the NPC in 2017, which, according to the sources, is a little above the United Nations’ estimate of 186,988,000.

It will be recalled that the national population census was last conducted in Nigeria in 2006 when the total figure was put at 140,431,790.

According to the latest population forecasts released by NBS, in its website www.nigerianstat.gov.ng, Kano remains the largest state, by an estimated population figure of 13,076,892 than the population of Lagos which is put at 9,113,605.

However, there exists a sharp contradiction in the actual population figure of Lagos, as both the United Nations and Lagos State government put the population of Nigeria’s commercial capital at about 22 million.

The 2006 census figures put Kano population at 9,401,288 and that of Lagos at 12,550,598.

Some highlights of the latest estimates indicated that there are 98,630,184 males with 94,762,333 females.

Also, the population figure of infants within the age bracket of zero to four years, according to NBC and NBS, constituted the largest percentage of the population with 31,116,156, followed by the figure of those between five to nine years with a population of 27,549,964.

An analysis of the figures showed that Nigeria currently had an estimated population figure of 78,971,690 of those between the ages of 15 to 39.

According to the analysis, there were 106,257,431 people within the working population of 15 to 64 years.

It also showed that despite Boko Haram insurgency, which has ravaged substantial parts of the North-East since 2010, the population figure increased substantially.

From a population of 21,614,789 in 2010, the six states of the North-East is currently put at 26,263,866.

Six south-west states of Lagos, Ondo, Ogun, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti states, according to the analysis, grew from 31,533,821 in 2010 to 38,257,260.

The analysis also showed that Kaduna retains its position as third most populated state with 8,252,366 inhabitants followed by Oyo with current population estimate of 7,840,864, which outpaced Katsina now with a figure of 7,831,319.

In 2006, Katsina’s population followed that of Kaduna State while Oyo was in the fifth place.

Bayelsa maintains its position as the least populated of the 36 states of the federation with an estimated figure of 2,277,961.

Anambra is the most populated state in the south-east with 5,527,809 inhabitants while Rivers State leads in the south-south region with 5,198,716 people.

For the north-east, Bauchi is the largest state in terms of population with a figure of 4,653,066 while in the case of the north central, Benue leads with 5,741,815 inhabitants.

According to the details of 2017 budget proposal submitted to National Assembly, by President Muhammadu Buhari, NPC will fully commence preparation for 2018 population census during 2017.

A stakeholders’ conference to present the 2018 census instrument to gulp N50 million, would hold during the year while N41.7 million has been earmarked for training of staff in Washington, for data collection and interviewing techniques.

There is also a proposal for N1.950 billion to be spent on field demarcation and another N1 billion is expected to be deployed to acquiring satellite imagery.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/nbs-estimates-nigerias-population-now-193-3-million/

Why is the North always lying about Kano's population? The UN and World Bank estimate Lagos' population at about 21 million and the NPC is telling us 9 point something? Abeg how on Earth can an Arid desert city be bigger than a flourishing port city on their coast? This country is truly very sick! Rubbish!

3 Likes

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by ezeegolimited30(m): 11:42am On Dec 30, 2016
guys let's reason like dis! d next budget Worth's trillions,why can't d federel government bring out 200 billion cash nd share to every citizens hand by hand nd use d remains for d over all project

1 Like

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Chukazu: 11:44am On Dec 30, 2016
cjrane:
Nigeria is the ONLY West African country with the anomalous population distribution where the northern arid zones of West Africa supports more population than the southern rainforest belt near the Atlantic ocean.

In every other west African country, the southern areas have more population than the northern area EXCEPT Nigeria.

If you dig into this anomaly, you will discover Nigeria is the one that distributes resources based on population. Little wonder why merely counting themselves is such a hugely important event to rig in favor of the north.

the truth is, we never had an accurate population census, and probably will never have in the nearest future.

for the North/South density divide... as long as we have a distorted federation where the states keep going to Abuja for "monthly allocation " we will keep having manipulated census figure.. because the higher the figure, the more money you get to receive.

I also think that by culture and religious tradition, the north should have a higher population.e.g :Muslims in the north still marry as many wives as possible based on tenets of their faith but in the south east and south south, that is rear.. even my people in the east tend to marry late.

finally, if we have equitable distribution of wealth, nobody would bother who has more population or not. I don't see why to stress myself over one state that has a bigger population than mine, it's their burden and it doesn't make them well-off than mine
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by math2001: 11:58am On Dec 30, 2016
Who is the idiot making that estimation.

They should watch video of other cities.
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by ceejay4real(m): 11:59am On Dec 30, 2016
RockHard:
Crap. Everyone knows that even that 2006 census was a fraud. Nigeria has always politicized population censuses for obvious reasons. But Thank God there are other data sources that give a ballpark extrapolated estimate of current states populations, like the one below gotten from the Telcos, courtesy of the same NBS, where you can easily deduce the most populated states in the country. The good thing about these sort of numbers is that they're devoid of ethnic/tribal, political or sentimental colorations that have always plagued national censuses. These are reliable enough data that points to the actual estimated population of each state as at today, whichever way one chooses to slice or dice it (you can choose to add 1 or 2 million to any of those numbers, doesn't make much difference in the end):

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/486

God bless you my brother! The table gives a truer and fairer view of the population of the various states. Even then, when you want to go into the nitty gritty of ethnic origin, the SE States are depleted heavily because the Igbos travel a lot and are scattered all over the country and beyond in their millions! For instance, the Igbos make up almost half the population of Lagos, close to 35 percent of the population in such Northern cities like Jos, Kaduna, Abuja and Kano. So the Northern establishment shd stop this population war as it were cos it's of no use! The Hausa/ Fulani are not more than the Igbos in numbers so they should forget that pipe dream unless they are planning to reenact the pogroms of 1966!

It's high time our population census documentation forms carry such things as religion/ Faith, tribe, tongue or ethnic group, state of residence and state of nativity that would be wired and saved permanently in a central data bank in Abuja with back up in Lagos, Kaduna and Enugu just in case. This way, we can better analyse our population figures for more meaningful development instead of making wild guesses with regards to our population and its various components like number of Christians, Muslims, Yoruba, Tiv, Igbos, Hausas, Efiks, Ijaws etc. all the time. We need to know our population in and out for proper planning and futuristic forecasting.

The major problem we have is that our leaders are parochial and unpatriotic! Till we get patriotic leaders at the helm, we will continue going around in circles. A case of so much locomotion yet no movement! An ironical paradox if you ask me!

2 Likes

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Godstraight(m): 12:06pm On Dec 30, 2016
nwabobo:

You got it wrong there. Nigeria's market size is not equivalent to its population but rather to the size of the population that has got the purchasing power. Can Honda come and establish a plant in Nigeria because their population is almost 200M when SA with a much smaller population presents a bigger market for their product? How many Nigerians can afford to buy a new Honda?

I'm sorry, Nigeria doesn't have a big market size, except for basics like rice and bathroom slippers.
do u even know the meaning of norminal GDP?,purchasing power purity?do you know Nigeria has the largest in Africa ?,do you know southafrican biggiest company dstv and mtn make 50% of their profit in Nigeria?, do also know south Africa has a populated of 53 million compare to Nigeria 193million?,removing the 46% of Nigerians living below poverty lines will still almost 90 million middle/upper class folks,talking about Honda how do even expect them to displace Toyota,we the largest importers in this continent sadly the third largest exporters
Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Godstraight(m): 12:08pm On Dec 30, 2016
Ighoga898:

stop being ignorant,Lagos is among the 6th most populated cities in the world,even more than new York and london

1 Like

Re: By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads by Chukazu: 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2016
tbarrister:

I sincerely think the most disadvantaged of all regions has to be the south east when it comes to population manipulation... the North will always aligne with Niger republic and Chad, the south west have got their Togolese, Ghanaians and Benin Republic to inflate theirs while the Ijaw can add "mami iwater " winkwinkto their own, the south east is left out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

IGP Appoints 13 New Command Police Commissioners / Peter Obi Received By Supporters In Kafanchan, Kaduna State (Video, Pictures) / Atiku, PDP Governors And Realignments Ahead 2023 Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.