Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,205 members, 7,977,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 10:08 AM

Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? (1756 Views)

Diezani Alison-madueke Betrayed Jonathan By Sponsoring APC / "Those Accusing Me Of Sponsoring Boko Haram Are Mad" - Jonathan / Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by naijaking1: 5:16am On Nov 21, 2009
When Nigerians are just about getting used to the uncertain financial terrains of their own country, because of the new CBN governor, Sanusi has opened yet another aspect of his mind set by sponsoring golf tournament in honor of one of the most criminal leaders this country ever had, IBB.
And, he's sponsoring IBB with our own money. ---quite ironical for a man who has come as a messiah to clean up corruption and strenghten our financial system.
Does he not know what IBB did to this country for 8 long years?
Was he a direct beneficiary?
Was he in such a total agreement with the IBB record that he has to promote it years after it ended?
[/color]

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

[size=28pt]Gani’s chamber riles CBN on IBB golf sponsorship[/size]
National News Nov 21, 2009 By Abdulwahab Abdulah

The law Chambers of the late Gani Fawehinmi, yesterday condemned the alleged sponsorship of the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor’s Golf tournament by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), describing the gesture as “regrettable and show of rascallism.”

In an open letter to Nigerians signed by Mr Mohammed Fawehinmi, a copy of which was made available to Saturday Vanguard, the chambers said that the efforts by the CBN through its Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido to advert in the dailies and sponsor the said golf tournament was a show of rascalism and recklessness by the CBN and its Governor, especially when the fortune of the country and its citizenry were nothing to write home about.

The statement read : “ It is regrettable that a man who should be occupied and concerned  with salvaging the dwindling economic fortunes of Nigeria and the unstable financial system has the time to think, let alone collaborate with the IBB International Golf & Country Club to organize a golf tournament in honour of a self_styled military president whom so many conscientious Nigerians have condemned.

“What is more painful is that he (CBN Governor) had the effrontery to use our funds (Nigerians) to sponsor this advert in the name and on behalf of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

All these show of rascallism on the part of Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi justifies my questioning of his competence as the Governor of Central bank of Nigeria – who is at the helm of affairs of the Central Bank of Nigeria as an institution which is saddled with the responsibility of controlling and supervising other financial institutions and on whose hand the economy of Nigeria revolves.”

He condemned the nonchalant attitude of the government to  the plights of Nigerians and the financial system that is still struggling to get out of the woods and the sheer waste of the country’s resources by the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor.

He said with the steps the CBN Governor is taking, “the financial and banking sector of this country will suffer from the policies Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi will enact and set in motion as the man at the helm of affairs of the Central Bank of Nigeria which will further impoverish Nigerians.”

[color=#006600]
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by Ibime(m): 8:57am On Nov 21, 2009
Isnt it ironic that the CBN Governors Cup (not IBB cup, but hosted at IBB Golf course) has been running since Soludo's tenure, but now it suddenly seems right to stick it on Sanusi.

These journalists are really scraping the bottom of the barrell.

For all sports sponsored by the CBN, including the CBN Governor's cup, click here:

http://www.cenbank.org/CBNcommunity/Sports.asp
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by DisGuy: 9:21am On Nov 21, 2009
Ibime:

Isnt it ironic that the CBN Governors Cup (not IBB cup, but hosted at IBB Golf course) has been running since Soludo's tenure, but now it suddenly seems right to stick it on Sanusi.

For all sports sponsored by the CBN, including the CBN Governor's cup, click here:

Information is Power!!!

God bless you

Central Bank of Nigeria Governor’s Golf tournament
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by wirinet(m): 9:49am On Nov 21, 2009
Ibime:

Na wa o!!

I remembered that the CBN had been sponsoring the Governors Golf Tournament for many years now, so i was as surprised as you when the tournament was branded with Sanusi, and even more surprised at the twists and spins to it.

Nigerian Press (newspapers) are really hitting below the belt in their war with Sanusi.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by nex(m): 9:55am On Nov 21, 2009
@naijaking

you see why we keep saying that people should mind the source of their news? Look at the ridiculous link you posted. I was even afraid to clear on it for suspicion of viruses. It is people like you that will make nonsense of the FOI Bill when you begin to cook facts into fiction in such a manner.

@Ibime

you have done well! You just used little fact to defeat a quantum of lies. Heaven help us as we continue to help ourselves in this country.

CBN Governor's Golf Tournament all of a sudden became IBB Golf Tournament. Even the Fawehinmi boy can't simply respect the memory of his father?
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by TippyTop(m): 10:03am On Nov 21, 2009
Ibime:

Why do we expect so little from our leaders and public office holders?
Wouldn't it be worthwhile for Sanusi's (legacy) to say CBN would have nothing to do with such a corrupt leader. Does Sanusi not have colleagues and advisers, how come non of them foresaw this inconsistency?
Would Timothy Geithner allow his department to fund a " Treasury Cup" if it was hosted at nearby Bernard Madoff's football ground?
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by nex(m): 10:05am On Nov 21, 2009
@naijaking

if you say Sanusi is your Messiah or your anti corruption crusader, please personalis these all to yourself. He never took up such offices so they're all in your mind. You character assassin!
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by citizenY(m): 12:53pm On Nov 21, 2009
Is it the man or the sport? You could have stripped all the cities of Nigeria of streets and stadia
named after IB B, OBJ or Abacha. Nigerians sha cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by nduchucks: 12:57pm On Nov 21, 2009
@naijaking, we all know say your animousity towards sanusi na because him fascilitate de arrest your hero, cecilia ibru, wey help to ruin oceanic bank and wey dey on her way to prison.

dis new misinformation crusade wey you dey use to attack sanusi dey beneath even you.  make you remember say, informed people go point out your lies as soon as you post them for here.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by citizenY(m): 1:00pm On Nov 21, 2009
Make dis  boy no take small pikin sense spoil him papa name o.

Na true say antelope no go run and di pikin wey him born go crawl.

But his handlers in that chamber should be very careful.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by SapeleGuy: 1:24pm On Nov 21, 2009
Tippy top - God bless you.

Just because it was done before doesn't make it right or mean we must continue with 'rascality and recklessness'.
CBN has a monopoly in their sector, they do not need to be sponsoring a golf tournament?
How do CBN or Nigeria gain from such an enterprise?

There are clearly several more deserving causes across the country that CBN could channel this money, water projects and desert reclamation projects spring to mind.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by MrCrackles(m): 1:28pm On Nov 21, 2009
So NaijaKing what do you have to say about the flurry of posts (especially the ones that floored you) that followed your initial post
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by Parohfrey(f): 1:29pm On Nov 21, 2009
Poster

Must you criticise everything? Which one is your money there? You dey pay tax?
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by wirinet(m): 1:33pm On Nov 21, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Just because it was done before doesn't make it right or mean we must continue with 'rascality and recklessness'.
CBN has a monopoly in their sector, they do not need to be sponsoring a golf tournament?

There are clearly several more deserving causes across the country that CBN could channel this money, water projects and desert reclamation projects spring to mind.

So you expect Sanusi who had been there for just less than 5 months to cancel all past obligations of the central bank because you hate certain names. Why are you not using the same venom on Fashola for not renaming Third Mainland  Bridge, or the Governor of Kano for not renaming Sani Abacha stadium.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by violent(m): 1:52pm On Nov 21, 2009
Seems that Mohammed chap is ill advised, u don't just jump to criticize at every opportunity u've got, u simply don't. It is quite apparent that their are many folks out there with a hammer in one hand and a nail in the other, all they are waiting for is a chance to nail some skin
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by DisGuy: 2:02pm On Nov 21, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Bros, you know talk this one when Prof Soludo was in charge na, especially with land erosion and security problems here and there

Or are you basically saying Soludo promoted 'rascality and recklesness'??
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by mbulela: 2:37pm On Nov 21, 2009
naijaking1,
i am disappointed in you.How can you stoop to such low levels?
This CBN tournament has been on for ages.
the course is only named after IBB, it is not as i he owns it.
I guess we can all stop driving on roads named after Abacha,IBB and OBJ?

For Mohammed Fawehenmi, i only have one word;Get a life young man.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by SapeleGuy: 3:22pm On Nov 21, 2009
Dis Guy:

Bros, you know talk this one when Prof Soludo was in charge na, especially with land erosion and security problems here and there

Or are you basically saying Soludo promoted 'rascality and recklesness'??

Bros, I have said that Sanusi / Govt should investigate Soludo, since everybody now believes that Soludo didn't perform.

Of what value is this sponsorship to CBN?
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by citizenY(m): 3:33pm On Nov 21, 2009
@ Sapele guy,

Bros, you pass this levels na. CBN has been doin this for some time now and it is for the golf club.
If there was prior commitment, it cannot just be thrown away. Next time you go anytown, no pass
any street wey dem name after anyone wey you no like. A beg lef this one.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by naijatoday: 3:43pm On Nov 21, 2009
Mohammed Fawehenmi who has been trying to be relevant since his father died should be ASHAMED of himself.

He is obviously the one playing the ethnicity card in this whole matter why did he not bring up the issue during Soludo's time.

I hope and pray Nigeria newspapers take up this matter with Mohammed Fawehenmi.

This another example of poor journalism on the part of VANGUARD newspaper, it should have presented both sides.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by Jarus(m): 5:43pm On Nov 21, 2009
Make I talk? grin
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by naijaking1: 6:07pm On Nov 21, 2009
The argument that this event has been going on since the era of Soludo is not enough justification to continue this unfortunate waste of public fund. By the last time I checked, we' re under the impression that Soludo did things in a wrong way. So, anybody who's been looking up to Sanusi to be more prudent ought to be in order to question his continued support for this program given his numerous public mantra about accountability, probity, and sanitization of the system.
Has anybody asked the simple question: How much of our money is or has been used to promot IBB? You Sanusi apologists would be shocked when you find out the numbers.
I could have probably modified my introduction to this thread if I had known it's been one of those questionably corrupt practices of CBN, but that doesn't eliminate the need to question why our public fund has to be used to promote IBB when legitimate business people are being hounded and thrown in jail for loans they legally obtained from our banks.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by naijatoday: 7:04pm On Nov 21, 2009
naijaking1:

The argument that this event has been going on since the era of Soludo is not enough justification to continue this unfortunate waste of public fund. By the last time I checked, we' re under the impression that Soludo did things in a wrong way. So, anybody who's been looking up to Sanusi to be more prudent ought to be in order to question his continued support for this program given his numerous public mantra about accountability, probity, and sanitization of the system.
Has anybody asked the simple question: How much of our money is or has been used to promot IBB? You Sanusi apologists would be shocked when you find out the numbers.
I could have probably modified my introduction to this thread if I had known it's been one of those questionably corrupt practices of CBN, but that doesn't eliminate the need to question why our public fund has to be used to promote IBB when legitimate business people are being hounded and thrown in jail for loans they legally obtained from our banks.

What if there is a contract? Events like this usually have contracts that the CBN (or whatever company) will sponsor the event for a number of years.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by bawomolo(m): 7:23pm On Nov 21, 2009
naijaking has being on an attack sanusi campaign for a while.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by wirinet(m): 7:25pm On Nov 21, 2009
Naijaking1, you really have an axe to grind with Sanusi. I do not understand how you relate the sponsoring of an event that had been going on for years with the removal, arrest and prosecution of certain MDs for corruption and unethical banking practices. I need someone to help me understand the link between the two.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by nduchucks: 7:40pm On Nov 21, 2009
wirinet:

Naijaking1, you really have an axe to grind with Sanusi. I do not understand how you relate the sponsoring of an event that had been going on for years with the removal, arrest and prosecution of certain MDs for corruption and unethical banking practices. I need someone to help me understand the link between the two.

naijaking no go admit wrongdoing at all at all, especially if de ting be sanusi related matter. i don tackle am many times, him too stubborn. naijaking na de kind person wey my Yoruba copatriots de call "aj'okuta ma mu'min" meaning, person wey dey eat stone without drinking water to wash am down. cheesy dan iska ne naijaking.
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by mamagee3(f): 9:45pm On Nov 21, 2009
MrCrackles:

So NaijaKing what do you have to say about the flurry of posts (especially the ones that floored you) that followed your initial post

Please MrCrackles use your regular font. cheesy cheesy
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 21, 2009
This is really sad. Do people just sit and wait for Sanusi to slip? and if he does not, make up funny and sometimes stupid stories like this? Do we even know whjat we want as Nigerians?
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by mamagee3(f): 10:12pm On Nov 21, 2009
No, he's bound to steal the bank's money. angry
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by naijaking1: 4:23am On Nov 22, 2009
nex:

@naijaking

if you say Sanusi is your Messiah or your anti corruption crusader, please personalis these all to yourself. He never took up such offices so they're all in your mind. You character assassin!

Sanusi is definitely not my messiah, though he has portrayed himself as such for a while now. You've got to be retarded to speak about character assasination without debunking the Vanguard story.

You ask for character assasination, I'll show you a CBN governor who's sworn to uphold the law of the land, yet everyday, he has countless lists of unsubstantiated allegations against innocent bank CEOs and bussiness people who cases are already before the court of law--- that character assasination, not repeating a story in a national daily.

citizenY:

Is it the man or the sport? You could have stripped all the cities of Nigeria of streets and stadia
named after IB B, OBJ or Abacha. Nigerians sha cool cool cool cool cool cool
Come on, yearly sponsor and wastage of public fund is not the same as naming a structure after any of these people.

ndu_chucks:

@naijaking, we all know say your animousity towards sanusi na because him fascilitate de arrest your hero, cecilia ibru, wey help to ruin oceanic bank and wey dey on her way to prison.

dis new misinformation crusade wey you dey use to attack sanusi dey beneath even you.  make you remember say, informed people go point out your lies as soon as you post them for here.

Don't even worry, when all is said and done, the real essence of Sanusi, his followers, and his policies would be exposed. Meanwhile, if you think this is misinformation, go sue Vanguard, and let everything be ironed out.

citizenY:

Make dis  boy no take small pikin sense spoil him papa name o.

Na true say antelope no go run and di pikin wey him born go crawl.

But his handlers in that chamber should be very careful.
Some unrelated proverbs.

MrCrackles:

You should have known by now that flurry of ignorant or biased opinions don't move me one bit, even yours too.

Paroh_frey:

Poster

Must you criticise everything? Which one is your money there? You dey pay tax?
You don't want to know.
wirinet:

So you expect Sanusi who had been there for just less than 5 months to cancel all past obligations of the central bank because you hate certain names. Why are you not using the same venom on Fashola for not renaming Third Mainland  Bridge, or the Governor of Kano for not renaming Sani Abacha stadium.

How much time is enough to bring probity to CBN itself?

violent:

Seems that Mohammed chap is ill advised, u don't just jump to criticize at every opportunity u've got, u simply don't. It is quite apparent that their are many folks out there with a hammer in one hand and a nail in the other, all they are waiting for is a chance to nail some skin
Mohammed is doing just fine. People like you never agreed with his father's principles anyway.

mbulela:

naijaking1,
i am disappointed in you.How can you stoop to such low levels?
This CBN tournament has been on for ages.
the course is only named after IBB, it is not as i he owns it.
I guess we can all stop driving on roads named after Abacha,IBB and OBJ?

For Mohammed Fawehenmi, i only have one word;Get a life young man.
Having the tournament on for years is not an excuse you know.

naijatoday:

Mohammed Fawehenmi who has been trying to be relevant since his father died should be ASHAMED of himself.

He is obviously the one playing the ethnicity card in this whole matter why did he not bring up the issue during Soludo's time.

I hope and pray Nigeria newspapers take up this matter with Mohammed Fawehenmi.

This another example of poor journalism on the part of VANGUARD newspaper, it should have presented both sides.
The only constructive critiscm of the newspaper so far. By the time this matter is settled, we would have heard from both sides in details.

ndu_chucks:

naijaking no go admit wrongdoing at all at all, especially if de ting be sanusi related matter. i don tackle am many times, him too stubborn. naijaking na de kind person wey my Yoruba copatriots de call "aj'okuta ma mu'min" meaning, person wey dey eat stone without drinking water to wash am down. cheesy dan iska ne naijaking.

Each tribe has a degrading name for others in Nigeria. Do you know what your Yoruba copatriots call hausa people like you?
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by Depilot(m): 4:56am On Nov 22, 2009
Not to defend or bash Babangida, but let us all use our common sense for once.
1. CBN has been sponsoring such event for many years
2. CBN is an institution, Sanusi happens to be the sitting governor, but there are still many other supporting members that are directly involved in day to day CBN activities. In short, all the decisions of CBN are not made by Sanusi. Therefore, please stop making everything looks as if Sanusi is out to run CBN down to the ground.
3. IBB golf tournament does not belong to Babangida. It is a mere tournament named after Babangida. How stupid could one be?
4. If Banbangida is a criminal, please name one politician in Nigeria that isn't a criminal.

Enough of this Babangida shi t, I'm sick of it.
If Babangida has done anything wrong please go and prosecute him or else leave the dude alone. The shi t is getting too damn old.
Move on Nigeria!
Re: Should The Cbn Governor Be Sponsoring IBB Golf Tournament? by naijaking1: 5:11am On Nov 22, 2009
This is what the newspaper article says:
It is regrettable that a man who should be occupied and concerned with salvaging the dwindling economic fortunes of Nigeria and the unstable financial system has the time to think, let alone collaborate with the IBB International Golf & Country Club to organize a golf tournament in honour of a self_styled military president whom so many conscientious Nigerians have condemned.

Even if you disagree with the truth of the article, then write a re-joinder. There's no need for people to come and change the whole subject.
Once again, the CBN does not need to pay for golf tournaments to honor IBB shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yardua's Wants To Keep It In The Family -Yuguda Positioned To VP Now& President / Mr. Erastus Akingbola’s House Sealed Off By Efcc / Ladan Replaces Barkindo As Nnpc Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.