Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,046 members, 7,928,127 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 09:46 AM

Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel (2366 Views)

Ten Richest Nollywood Actresses 2015(with Pictures) / Nollywood Actresses And Their Personal Houses/Mansions ( Photos ) / Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by koolchicco: 10:02am On Nov 21, 2009
Some Nollywood stars namely: Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola Jolade, Chioma Chukwuka-Akpotha, Rita Dominic, Stephanie Okereke, Funke Akindele, and one or two others were mentioned favorably in a new American novel written by Nona David.

Title of the book is: "Feddie Girl: The Hilarious Adventures of an American Teen in a Nigerian Federal School"
Author is: Nona David,Publisher is: Bernard Books Publishing (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA)

While some people are happy that these actresses are gaining international fame, others feel that Nollywood movies are still sub-standard and therefore will be an embarrassment to foreigners who might be influenced to watch the movies because of the good credits given in the novel.

However, since the book is authored by an American, I'll say let honor be given to whom honor is due. If Americans like our Nollywood movies and actresses, who are we to tell them otherwise? Why should we be so negative about the progress of our own nation?
Many of these Nollywood stars have really worked hard for their careers and some of them truly deserve International recognition.

Please let's stop being sour about our own nation's progress and learn to appreciate what we have.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by omar22(m): 11:06am On Nov 21, 2009
However, since the book is authored by an American, I'll say let honor be given to whom honor is due. If Americans like our Nollywood movies and actresses,

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha,

Tell me, if the book was authored by an Iraqi or a Mongolian would you still publish it on NL? its good Oprah is pulling the plug on her show because, since the last time she mentioned Genevieve her back-side or bum should be sore now from the kissing from a certain set of Nigerians
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by semid4lyfe(m): 8:37am On Nov 22, 2009
The only reason why these Nollywood 'stars' were mentioned in the book is because

1. The Author (Nona David) lived in Nigeria at a certain point in her life AND

2. The book is basically about the adventures of a wayward & temperamental half nigerian/american girl in a boarding school in Nigeria.

Under these circumstances,  it's no 'biggie' she mentioned those actresses at all.

The plot is somehow similar to Chukwuemeka Ike's 'The Bottled Leopard' if u ask me.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by omar22(m): 9:49am On Nov 22, 2009
Lets turn it into a Hollywood or Nollywood movie,

Lets talk about who plays what role!!!
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by donjon: 10:23am On Nov 22, 2009
The author is not a full blooded yankee.,.,.,.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by THEAMAKA3(f): 11:50am On Nov 22, 2009
omar22
you are always talking shit. you never have anything good to say.
i dont even know why you bother sometimes.
seriously you havent said one good thing about nollywood, all you do is badmouth and talk rubbish 24/7
be proud that your father's land is actually doing something.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by semid4lyfe(m): 12:53pm On Nov 22, 2009
Na wa o! So much venom for omar22? Wetin u for do if to se na MrCrackles?
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by omar22(m): 6:03pm On Nov 22, 2009
omar22
you are always talking shit. you never have anything good to say.
i dont even know why you bother sometimes.
seriously you havent said one good thing about nollywood, all you do is badmouth and talk rubbish 24/7
be proud that your father's land is actually doing something.

You keep talking, someday you'll say something intelligent.

when did I mention anything about Nollywood, you know what everyone has the right to be an idiot, but you are abusing the privilege
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by THEAMAKA3(f): 6:08pm On Nov 22, 2009
omar22:

You keep talking, someday you'll say something intelligent.

when did I mention anything about Nollywood, you know what everyone has the right to be an idiot, but you are abusing the privilege
WOW! put your hands together for yourself. now how did that make you feel? tongue
you have to DIRECTLY say anything about nollywood but you always got something negative to say when it comes to either nollywood or the people involved in nollywood.
you never have one good thing to say. why do you even bother?
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 7:59pm On Nov 22, 2009
semid4lyfe:

The only reason why these Nollywood 'stars' were mentioned in the book is because

1. The Author (Nona David) lived in Nigeria at a certain point in her life AND

2. The book is basically about the adventures of a wayward & temperamental half nigerian/american girl in a boarding school in Nigeria.

Under these circumstances,  it's no 'biggie' she mentioned those actresses at all.

The plot is somehow similar to Chukwuemeka Ike's 'The Bottled Leopard' if u ask me.

Actually, I disagree.

1. The author of "Feddie Girl" is an American, and according to what I heard, she only visited Nigeria for a few weeks to do her research for the novel. That, in my opinion, does not qualify as "living."

2. The major character in the book is a girl who is three-parts American and one-part Nigerian. (i.e Her dad is a half-cast, while her mom is a full-blown American). According to the book, the girl looks exactly like her mom (white).

3. There is no way the plot of this novel can be compared to that of "The Bottled Leopard." While Chukwuemeka Ike was basically talking about "Amobi" a guy who had inherited Leopard powers and manifested them in a boys' boarding school; Nona David is talking about how the future of some die-hard wayward American children can be salvaged. Basically, she's saying:

"If your child is too hot to handle, send him/her to a disciplinarian boarding school and they will learn about life the hard way. No need letting them waste away their future by smoking and doing drugs."

This is not the same theme/message that Chukwuemeka Ike put across in his book.

Also, the twists and turns of the plot itself, plus the sub-plot that brings in the activities and organized crime connections of the girl's American family, puts "Feddie Girl" in a class of its own. The syntax of the author alone is something else altogether.  kiss

For those Nollywood actresses that were mentioned in the novel (out of the whole lot), kudos to them. They have gained some International recognition because this "Feddie Girl" novel is being read by Americans. Hopefully some of them will see themselves featuring in Hollywood movies because of this. They deserve it please, and it is a [b]big deal, [/b]too.  cheesy
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 8:05pm On Nov 22, 2009
donjon:

The author is not a full blooded yankee.,.,.,.

Please how do you know that? Do you know him or her personally? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 22, 2009
How can you talk about Nigeria and forget to mention Nollywood? It's just a matter o giving reality to the novel.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 8:13pm On Nov 22, 2009
michelin89:

How can you talk about Nigeria and forget to mention Nollywood? It's just a matter o giving reality to the novel.

Good point! But how many Nigerian novels/authors have actually done that?

Correct me if I'm wrong cos I've not finished reading Chimamanda Adichie's "Purple Hibiscus" which spans the era of Nollywood being in existence, how many times was "Nollywood" mentioned in that novel? How many actors/actresses were mentioned?

Wait, not even only Nollywood, how many musicians (E.g Lagbaja, Fela, etc) were accredited?

I'd like to know. Thanks. grin
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 22, 2009
We are talking about the teenage generation of the current Nigeria. Who are their models? Hollywood and Nollywood.

It's like writing a novel about me and forgetting to mention my obsession for Johnny Depp and bulges. grin
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 8:21pm On Nov 22, 2009
omar22:

Lets turn it into a Hollywood or Nollywood movie,

Lets talk about who plays what role!!!

Hahahaha,

I'd say Genevieve Nnaji should play the role of Zika

Monalisa Chinda should play Shelley; The Ghanian actress should be Carlotta; or vice-versa

Van Vicker or Ramsey Noah should play Richard

Stella Damasus should play Rema

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde (Omo-sexy) will be great as Maria (the sexy Doctor's assistant)  wink

Chioma Akpotha or Stephanie Okere should play "Senior Chidi"

Kate Henshaw should play Sandra (very befitting, Lol!!!!!)

Funke Akindele should be Bukola (The Yoruba class prefect) LWKMD!

Enebeli Enebuwa or Pete Edochie should be Daniel (that role fits either of them like gloves)  grin grin grin grin

Patience Ozokwor (Mama G) should play Aunt Nkem, i.e. Daniel's wife

Rita Dominic should play the role Anita Desouza (the dormitory prefect)

Does anyone know the name of that Igbo guy that's always playing the roles of "Black Americans" or "Janded guy" in Nollywood movies? He always speaks with an accent in his roles. I can't remember his name.
He would be good as "Slinky Sam" Lol!  grin grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:27pm On Nov 22, 2009
^^^^
lol you talking about Jim Iyke? cause thats all i can think of.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 8:36pm On Nov 22, 2009
Yeah, that may be "Jim Iyke" but I'm not sure 

He was in "Sound of Love" You know, the movie where Chioma Chukwuka Akpotha was a princess and was in love with a poor and lazy flutist. Something like that. The catch lyric sound track in the movie was "Akwugo obioma oooo, SAMBOLA!"

The guy I'm talking about was the "big boy" that just returned from Yankee and was "faxing dollars" everywhere. He later turned out to be a fraud.
So was that Jim Iyke? Do you think?   undecided
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:38pm On Nov 22, 2009
i havent seen the movie so i dont know.
but he was in the movie Show Me Heaven, Love My Way, Fatal Seduction with Ini Edo.
google image those movies and see if he is on the cover.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:40pm On Nov 22, 2009
or better yet just google image his name. lol
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by donjon: 8:44pm On Nov 22, 2009
3 parts yankee & 1 part 9ja!
Itz a good thing americans are reading it sha!
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by donjon: 8:48pm On Nov 22, 2009
BTW,
i thought jim iyke played a tough guy/lover boy/bad boy role?
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:48pm On Nov 22, 2009
donjon:

BTW,
i thought jim iyke played a tough guy/lover boy/bad boy role?

yeah he does 75% of the time. and he is damn good at it. lol
he is one hell of a character. lol
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 9:03pm On Nov 22, 2009
donjon:

Naija's are reading the book, too. It's being sold left and right in Nigeria now. See the details on https://www.bernardbooks.com/news.html

The book is also on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Hilarious-Adventures-American-Nigerian-Federal/dp/0982452608

Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by semid4lyfe(m): 10:07pm On Nov 22, 2009
@ Ifez
I said the plot is SOMEHOW similar to Chukwuemeka Ike's The Bottled Leopard and not that it's the same. Obviously you've forgotten Amobi's half-caste best friend, Chuks who was born in America to a Nigerian father and a white -American mother and was shipped off to a Government Boarding School in Nigeria for his High School Education. Granted, he is not the major character in the book but in that respect the two novels are a 'bit' similar.

After all said and said, can I get an E-copy of the novel?
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 10:37pm On Nov 22, 2009
@semid4lyfe

No qualms. I'm just realizing you haven't read the novel. I thought you had so that's why I was wondering how it was possible for you to see so much similarity as to be able to make a comparison.

I don't know if there's an e-copy of the novel. What I have is a hard-copy.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by koolchicco: 12:13pm On Nov 23, 2009
Ifez:

@semid4lyfe

No qualms. I'm just realizing you haven't read the novel. I thought you had so that's why I was wondering how it was possible for you to see so much similarity as to be able to make a comparison.

I don't know if there's an e-copy of the novel. What I have is a hard-copy.

lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by mamagee3(f): 7:58pm On Nov 23, 2009
I haven't seen the book or watched the movie. undecided
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 9:49pm On Nov 23, 2009
mama-gee:

I haven't seen the book or watched the movie. undecided

Mama-gee, the book is an Amazon.com See the links below:

Ifez:

Naija's are reading the book, too. It's being sold left and right in Nigeria now. See the details on where to buy https://www.bernardbooks.com/news.html

The book is also on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Hilarious-Adventures-American-Nigerian-Federal/dp/0982452608

It may also be in bookshops in Lagos. Check Shop Rite or The Palm Springs, etc.

Title of the book is: "Feddie Girl: The Hilarious Adventures of an American Teen in a Nigerian Federal School"

The book cover is attached below.

Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 9:52pm On Nov 23, 2009
I heard secondary schools (Federal & Private) are now contracting the book. Is that true? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Do you think they're thinking of using it as a literature novel? Lwkmd! grin

It's a great book, sha. I guess our youths and Young Adults will benefit from it. cool
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by semid4lyfe(m): 1:47am On Nov 24, 2009
Have they run out of novels by Nigerians to use as literature texts that they'll now use Feddie Girl? Make them take am stock up their libraries sha. Maybe I'll tell my lil' sis to borrow it and bring it home for me to read.
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by Ifez: 3:18am On Nov 24, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Have they run out of novels by Nigerians to use as literature texts that they'll now use Feddie Girl?

Shakespeare, Mayor of Casterbridge, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, etc,
Are they all written by Nigerians? Did you not read some or all of them in sec sch?
Versatility is the key, my brother.

Just keep it simple, shey u get? wink
Re: Nollywood Actresses Accredited In New American Novel by semid4lyfe(m): 10:30am On Nov 24, 2009
Those books you mentioned are 'classical' masterpieces that were deliberately picked to teach the structure, composition & nature of the English language to students in Secondary Schools.

Anyhow sha, the Government determines the syllabus of subjects and hence the recommended reading texts or do these schools write other exams apart from NECO & WAEC?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Reggae Star,majek Fashek Returns Home / Actress Uche Iwuji’s Nuudé Photo Scandal Crashes Her Marriage / Photo: Limpopo Crooner, Kcee Acquires A New Mansion In Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.