Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,628 members, 7,882,126 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 04:19 PM

The Smartphone Journalist - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Smartphone Journalist (418 Views)

How COVID-19 Taskforce Brutalises Journalist For Taking Pictures In Osun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Smartphone Journalist by Ononachi(m): 1:52pm On Jan 09, 2017
A few days ago, I was travelling back to Lagos by road after the Christmastide. Just along Benin-Ore road, we saw a Toyota Sienna tumbled and fell into a ditch. On sighing the accident, our driver quickly halted our vehicle so we could go and rescure the occupants of the car. On getting there, all the occupants were screaming for help as they could not get out of the car on their own. We quickly swung into action - evacuating them and their luggage's. While we were busy doing this, I noticed that some Smartphone Journalists were busy videoing us and the evacuated victims. A particular lady who stood some inches away from a severely injured victim, bleeding profusely from a deep wound she sustained on her forehead, was busy videoing how the blood was gushing out. She never made any effort to provide help to the lady screaming out her larynx for help. All she was engrossed with was her phone and the video she was taking with it.
On seeing this, I became mad. I shouted myself almost into tears. How could people be that heartless? A young lady was bleeding to death and all that mattered to someone was to video how she would eventually bleed to death. What would she use the video for?

I approached the lady in anger and asked her to go back to which ever vehicle she came down from since she was not there to provide help. It was then that someone told me that they were five, 4ladies and a guy, videoing the victims. I could not imagine that a man would join in such a heartless venture. I turned to the guy and asked him if he was a journalist, he said no. I asked him what he would do with the video and photos he was taking. I asked him is the video and photos were more important to him than saving lives. He was shameful and could not answer my questions.

That experience shocked me to the bone.

Those people wanted something to rush to the social media with - gory video and photos.

Smartphones have sadly turned many people to journalists.

(1) (Reply)

Federation Association, Recognises Five / FOODFRIK.COM Invites All Foodies To Post Their Ads For Free. / 8 Reasons Older Road Users Need Your Assistance On Daily Basis - FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.