Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,676 members, 7,885,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 03:34 PM

Can Someone Help Me? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Someone Help Me? (3467 Views)

Someone help me!!! I've gotten depressed to the extent I sleep with prostitutes / Can Someone Help Me Please, I Need A Job to Keep My Family Please. / Can Someone Help Me Describe This Guy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 10, 2017
Hi folks,
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section cause I don't know where it fits.

Not knowing the Igbo language (and other tribal languages) unfortunately has put me at a disadvantage on this website but I'm trying to learn. I don't know which words are from which tribe or if some of the words are just general words used by all Nigerians. What are the meaning of the following words that I see often on threads & posts:

1). Abeg
2). Oga
3). Abi
4). Wahala
5). I see the words "na" before a word
6). Koboko

Also I've seen the words "Yoruba Demon" a lot and am wondering what specifically that means?
I asked the veteran, expert Nairaland relationship counselor Sir Toks2008, but he refused to tell me this one. I want to be aware so I can identify one if needs be....Will someone help me out please? I'm trying to learn.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by CyberGypsy(m): 12:34am On Jan 10, 2017
Lady39:
Hi folks,
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section cause I don't know where it fits.

Not knowing the Igbo language (and other tribal languages) unfortunately has put me at a disadvantage on this website but I'm trying to learn. I don't know which words are from which tribe or if some of the words are just general words used by all Nigerians. What are the meaning of the following words that I see often on threads & posts:

1). Abeg
2). Oga
3). Abi
4). Wahala
6). Koboko

Also I've seen the words "Yoruba Demon" a lot and am wondering what specifically that means?
I asked the veteran, expert Nairaland relationship counselor Sir Toks2008, but he refused to tell me this one. I want to be aware so I can identify one if needs be....Will someone help me out please? I'm trying to learn.
Thanks
sorry. where are you from? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Lastking147(m): 12:34am On Jan 10, 2017
Lady39
well lemme try small for u
abeg means please (its a Yoruba word)
Oga- means boss
Wahala- Trouble lol
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Lionbite(m): 12:57am On Jan 10, 2017
Lady39:
Hi folks,

1). Abeg
2). Oga
3). Abi
4). Wahala
6). Koboko

Thanks
abeg= please
oga= dude
abi= right?
wahala= doom
na= it's
koboko= whip

How is the weather over there. hope the cold is not too much.
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 1:19am On Jan 10, 2017
1). Abeg-Please 2). Oga-Sir 3). Abi-Right? 4). Wahala-Trouble 5). I see the words "na" before a word 6). Koboko-cain.
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by lilmax(m): 1:27am On Jan 10, 2017
I can see you want to trend, not to worry you'll get it soon..... just make sure you don't run when it gets hot
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Toks2008(m): 2:48am On Jan 10, 2017
Lady39:
Hi folks,

1). Abeg
2). Oga
3). Abi
4). Wahala
6). Koboko

Thanks

On the contrary I promised to tell you even more but I forgot to respond to this particular one.

You need to be in constant verbal communication with one who understands this language to learn more in a faster way.

Abeg is a pidgin word for please..pidgin English is a special type of English peculiar to Nigeria.

Oga could mean many things both in pidgin and in Yoruba or even other languages

Oga could mean boss in pidgin
Oga also means Camellion in Yoruba
Oga is also a type of sign word in Yoruba.

Abi is just a simple pidgin word of attestation to the truth...like reaffirming a stance.

Wahala is a Yoruba word which also doubles as a pidgin word for trouble.

Na or nah is also pidgin like saying it's or he is or she is,you are...I could say you are the finest or Na you be the fiinest.

Koboko is generally a whip but could be used interchangeably for many things and in some contexts it is used to describe the pnis..

Yoruba demon means demon of Yoruba tribe or southwest part of Nigeria

Hausa demon means demon of Hausa or Nothern part

Igbo Demon means demon from the eastern part of Nigera

Now you can see why I opined that you need verbal communication to understand all these and many more as it is quite tasking explaining in written form.

I hope I have finally answered.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by CyberGypsy(m): 8:31am On Jan 10, 2017
undecided na wa oooo ..
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by mrjojo: 10:05am On Jan 10, 2017
Toks2008:

On the contrary I promised to tell you even more but I forgot to respond to this particular one.

You need to be in constant verbal communication with one who understands this language to learn more in a faster way.

Abeg is a pidgin word for please..pidgin English is a special type of English peculiar to Nigeria.

Abi is just a simple pidgin word of attestation to the truth...like reaffirming a stance.

Na or nah is also pidgin like saying it's or he is or she is,you are...I could say you are the finest or Na you be the fiinest.

Koboko is generally a whip but could be used interchangeably for many things and in some contexts it is used to describe the pnis..

Now you can see why I opined that you need verbal communication to understand all these and many more as it is quite tasking explaining in written form.

This is not right Bros, Yoruba demon doesn't exactly mean a demon from the Yoruba tribe, it an urban saying meaning a sophisticated "player"(chronic heart breaker) who happens to be Yoruba by tribe. And there is no hausa or igbo demon as of now

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Toks2008(m): 12:09pm On Jan 10, 2017
mrjojo:
This is not right Bros, Yoruba demon doesn't mean a demon from the Yoruba tribe, it an urban saying meaning a sophisticated "player"(chronic heart breaker) who happens to be Yoruba by tribe. And there is no hausa or igbo demon as of now

I'm Yoruba and I gave the meaning in the most realistic manner...

I have never heard that urban word before tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 10, 2017
CyberGypsy:
sorry. where are you from? undecided

Born & raised in the U.S...half Igbo. Don't know any of the languages.
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 10, 2017
Lionbite:

abeg= please
oga= dude
abi= right?
wahala= doom
na= it's
koboko= whip

How is the weather over there. hope the cold is not too much.

Thanks sir...the weather has been crazy cold and I don't even live in the Northern part of the U.S!! But the warmth will be here in a few more months.
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 10, 2017
Thanks sir....

Toks2008:

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 10, 2017
Lastking147:
Lady39
well lemme try small for u
abeg means please (its a Yoruba word)
Oga- means boss
Wahala- Trouble lol

Thank u sir...
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 10, 2017
Catalin:
1). Abeg-Please
2). Oga-Sir
3). Abi-Right?
4). Wahala-Trouble
6). Koboko-cain.

Thank u ma'am
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 10, 2017
lilmax:
I can see you want to trend, not to worry you'll get it soon..... just make sure you don't run when it gets hot

Ok...thanks (if this post was meant for me?!)
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 10, 2017
mrjojo:
This is not right Bros, Yoruba demon doesn't mean a demon from the Yoruba tribe, it an urban saying meaning a sophisticated "player"(chronic heart breaker) who happens to be Yoruba by tribe. And there is no hausa or igbo demon as of now

Hmmm..welll thank u sir for clearing that up....interesting.
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by CyberGypsy(m): 8:26pm On Jan 10, 2017
Lady39:

Born & raised in the U.S...half Igbo. Don't know any of the languages.
Good to know .. but you look like a black American, how come I couldn't detect ? well welcome on board and hope you have answers to your questions ?
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by olureignforever: 8:28pm On Jan 10, 2017
lilmax:

Lol
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 10, 2017
CyberGypsy:
Good to know .. but you look like a black American, how come I couldn't detect ? well welcome on board and hope you have answers to your questions ?

Lol...aren't u a gypsy? U should've been able to detect this..lol.
Just kidding...well I am black American (my late mom was black American) and Nigerian (my dad is Igbo).
But the culture I'm most influenced by & knowledgeable about is my American side. Thanks for the welcome. I've been a member for about 1 month minus a few days or so. If
perhaps I have more questions, I'll ask u..if that's ok?
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Lastking147(m): 10:09pm On Jan 10, 2017
Lady39:

Thank u sir...
Your welcome
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Ishilove: 10:31pm On Jan 10, 2017
Toks2008:

pidgin English is a special type of English peculiar to Nigeria.
This is incorrect. Pidgin English, or broken English is not peculiar to Nigeria but to countries whose lingua franca is the English language. It is simplified or broken down and flavoured with indigenous languages and used as a medium of communication. There are various brands of Pidgin English, and the one spoken in Nigeria is 'Nigerian pidgin'.

Read more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Toks2008(m): 11:18pm On Jan 10, 2017
Ishilove:

This is incorrect. Pidgin English, or broken English is not peculiar to Nigeria but to countries whose lingua franca is the English language. It is simplified or broken down and flavoured with indigenous languages and used as a medium of communication. There are various brands of Pidgin English, and the one spoken in Nigeria is 'Nigerian pidgin'.

Read more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin

I see..I had always believed it's just a Nigeria thing o.

Thanks for the info
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by CyberGypsy(m): 6:17pm On Jan 12, 2017
Lady39:

Lol...aren't u a gypsy? U should've been able to detect this..lol.
Just kidding...well I am black American (my late mom was black American) and Nigerian (my dad is Igbo).
But the culture I'm most influenced by & knowledgeable about is my American side. Thanks for the welcome. I've been a member for about 1 month minus a few days or so. If
perhaps I have more questions, I'll ask u..if that's ok?
Lady39:
Lol...aren't u a gypsy? U should've been able to detect this..lol.Just kidding...well I am black American (my late mom was black American) and Nigerian (my dad is Igbo).But the culture I'm most influenced by & knowledgeable about is my American side. Thanks for the welcome. I've been a member for about 1 month minus a few days or so. Ifperhaps I have more questions, I'll ask u..if that's ok?
lol, even the so called Internet is unable to solve major cases. And am not a gypsy .it just a nick , c' mon.And as knowledge you desire , you will get it in double folds.. This is Nairaland, you are bound to make encounter with different animals in Human skin, different humans with different view.. You will like it here(sorry about your mum though).
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 12, 2017
Lady39:
Hi folks,

1). Abeg
2). Oga
3). Abi
4). Wahala
6). Koboko

1. Abeg- a pidgin corruption of the words "I beg", but really means please, (as in, i'm sorry, or excuse me).

2. Oga- a Yoruba word which is now popularly used by various tribes within and outside Nigeria. It literally means boss, but could mean "dude".

3. Abi- a Yoruba word which is now incorporated into other languages in Nigeria, even English too. It primarily asks, "right?" or "is that right?" it could also have secondary meanings too.

4. Wahala- is a Yoruba and probably Hausa word which means trouble, problem etc.

5. Using the word "na" before a sentence generally means "it's" or "that's". It's pidgin. For example, "na your wahala be that" that's your problem. Etc.

6. Koboko-is a Hausa and Yoruba word popular among Nigerians and means whip, especially the type made from cow tail.

7. The word "Yoruba demon" was coined by envious group of people to describe the suaveness of the Yoruba man who is usually handsome and romantic, sweeping ladies off their feet.
Haters will say they are heartbreakers, but rest assured, there's nothing to fear from them.
Lol.
I hope this was helpful.

cc jagugu88li

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 12, 2017
CyberGypsy:
lol, even the so called Internet is unable to solve major cases. And am not a gypsy .it just a nick , c' mon.And as knowledge you desire , you will get it in double folds.. This is Nairaland, you are bound to make encounter with different animals in Human skin, different humans with different view.. You will like it here(sorry about your mum though).

Lol...I have encountered just what u said. What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger! Thanks for your condolences! What a wonderful, wonderful woman, wife, mother, teacher & friend she was!
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 12, 2017
Thanks a lot for replying. I truly appreciate kindness & courtesy. Lol @ your last definition!!!

Ioannes:

1. Abeg- a pidgin corruption of the words "I beg", but really means please, (as in, i'm sorry, or excuse me).

2. Oga- a Yoruba word which is now popularly used by various tribes within and outside Nigeria. It literally means boss, but could mean "dude".

3. Abi- a Yoruba word which is now incorporated into other languages in Nigeria, even English too. It primarily asks, "right?" or "is that right?" it could also have secondary meanings too.

4. Wahala- is a Yoruba and probably Hausa word which means trouble, problem etc.

5. Using the word "na" before a sentence generally means "it's" or "that's". It's pidgin. For example, "na your wahala be that" that's your problem. Etc.

6. Koboko-is a Hausa and Yoruba word popular among Nigerians and means whip, especially the type made from cow tail.

7. The word "Yoruba demon" was coined by envious group of people to describe the suaveness of the Yoruba man who is usually handsome and romantic, sweeping ladies off their feet.
Haters will say they are heartbreakers, but rest assured, there's nothing to fear from them.
Lol.
I hope this was helpful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 12, 2017
Lady39:
Hi folks,

Thanks

Yoruba men are very cunning, conniving and romantic. They will lay down their life, fly to the moon and back, and fight another man just to be with you. However he may be doing the same for ten other women. You will be so convinced that he loves you and you alone, that when you find out he has another woman, you will feel like shattered glass flowing down the river. cool I cannot say if Toks2008 is one, but at his age, he may have settled down a bit.

Also Koboko is frequently used to refer to the male organ if someone is speaking about intimate matters.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Toks2008(m): 8:38pm On Jan 12, 2017
FortuneTeller:

Yoruba men are very cunning, conniving and romantic. They will lay down their life, fly to the moon and back, and fight another man just to be with you. However he may be doing the same for ten other women. You will be so convinced that he loves you and you alone, that when you find out he has another woman, you will feel like shattered glass flowing down the river. cool I cannot say if Toks2008 is one, but at his age, he may have settled down a bit.

Also Koboko is frequently used to refer to the male organ if someone is speaking about intimate matters.

When you meet an educated and cultured Yorba guy I believe you will have a rethink...of course at my age it will be a terrible thing to start playing about..I should be thinking of becoming a grand dad...though I'm still young sha

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2017
Toks2008:

When you meet an educated and cultured Yorba guy I believe you will have a rethink...of course at my age it will be a terrible thing to start playing about..I should be thinking of becoming a grand dad...though I'm still young sha

My dear Toks, we have Yoruba demons here in the US. Many are pastors and doctors fresh off the boat from Nigeria, collecting as many women as their pockets allow. Thank God I did not fall into the hands of one who tried to get me.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 12, 2017
Lady39:
Thanks a lot for replying. I truly appreciate kindness & courtesy. Lol @ your last definition!!!

You're welcome. smiley
Re: Can Someone Help Me? by Toks2008(m): 6:27am On Jan 13, 2017
FortuneTeller:

My dear Toks, we have Yoruba demons here in the US. Many are pastors and doctors fresh off the boat from Nigeria, collecting as many women as their pockets allow. Thank God I did not fall into the hands of one who tried to get me.

Madam fortune there are yoruba igbo hausa American London Canadian male and female demons and there are Angels too...pray you don't fall into wrong hands and do your due diligence before allowing your emotions to rule you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Day I Confirmed Witches And Wizards Do Exist. / Unexpected Pregnancy: Whose Decision Is It? / Spirit Husbands And Spirit Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.