Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,209 members, 7,873,924 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:27 PM

Between Assumption And Ignorance, Which One Is Worse? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Between Assumption And Ignorance, Which One Is Worse? (680 Views)

Similarities Between Assumption & Abortion / Ignorance Or Laziness: Which Is Worse? / Noun Mass Failure And Ignorance To Their Students Complain. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Between Assumption And Ignorance, Which One Is Worse? by lexilla007(m): 8:57am On Jan 11, 2017
I heard this from the first cool lawyer I ever knew and ever since, that has pretty much be one of my favorite quotes. Barrister Robert Odihi once said, " assumption is the least level of knowledge ".

You might be wondering, " Where did this man put ignorance? Well, you thought well. Ignorance is a bad one but assumption is far worse. How so? 

Well, when one is ignorant, he or she probably knows that he has no knowledge of a particular thing. That state of awareness alone can make it easier or push him forward to seek knowledge. You will agree with me that that is hope in the horizon for him. 

But can we say the same for assumption? No is the answer. An assuming man feels he know something and in the real sense does not. As if that is not enough a problem, an assuming man in most cases does not see the need to seek knowledge because he feels he knows. What a pity? 

It is probably this line of reasoning that made George Bernard Shaw to make this statement :

"Beware of false knowledge, it is more dangerous than ignorance ".

follow Wednesday's Wisdom Words on www.ogunleyeakinola..

P. S read full story through this link
www-2/">https://ogunleyeakinola./2017/01/11/wednesday-words-of-wisdom-www-2/

1 Like

Re: Between Assumption And Ignorance, Which One Is Worse? by LarryBeryl(m): 4:17pm On Jan 11, 2017
Most of the knowledge embedded in economics are based on axiology which is otherwise known as assumption. Assumptions could be verified to be true or false. if any of the assumptions are false it could be due to its limitations. Every scientific and technological advancements went through series of assumptions before concrete solutions are met.

1 Like

Re: Between Assumption And Ignorance, Which One Is Worse? by lexilla007(m): 3:51am On Jan 12, 2017
LarryBeryl:
Most of the knowledge embedded in economics are based on axiology which is otherwise known as assumption. Assumptions could be verified to be true or false. if any of the assumptions are false it could be due to its limitations. Every scientific and technological advancements went through series of assumptions before concrete solutions are met.

cool thoughts. I never saw thought of this. But following that line of reasoning, if those scholars based their knowledge on just those assumptions without trying to prove them right or wrong, will there theories or teachings hold water? So even if assuming can be sometimes good, one still needs to check one's assumptions to see maybe they are right or wrong.

(1) (Reply)

The Lost Ark Of The Covenant - Solving The 2,500 Year Old Mystery Of The Fable / Top Ranked Nigerian Universities In 2017 / SARS Apprehends Thief, Recovers Stolen Items From Ceiling Top In Lautech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.