Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,542 members, 7,948,083 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 01:37 PM

Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. (17068 Views)

All Beneficiaries Should Ensure To Stamp Their Deployment Latter And Upload It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 9:22am On Jan 12, 2017
AndyMolarAllwel:
Well, op am a HR personnel too in the international market. I will tell you vividly that your talent acquisition method lack validity, reliability & objactivity. You should know what I mean if really you are a practicing one.

Expatiate sir. I am a learner.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by casiello(m): 9:24am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

Ayam just learning from you guys o

I like your sincerity.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by histemple: 9:26am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

You are absolutely correct. You would however agree with me that this can only happen in robust HR department right?.
However, I am open to your comments. Like you said, you are a god in HR so what do I know than to learn from you.
The discussion was made open for people like you. Thanks for your comment.

Do you mind enlightening me how you reduce a million cvs to 50 in 4 hours?. Just curious. I can send you a pm if you feel my question is sardonic.

I find your statement (You are a god in HR) absolutely inappropriate.

However, let me disregard that and respond to your comment.

First if you don't have a robust HR department, then it's not good enough and your experience in such an environment can't reflect acceptable HR practices. It's just like using the experience of a manual subsistent farmer to discuss the effect of agriculture in an economy.

Secondly, there are unannounced preferences a HR personel anticipates while advertising a vacant position. The most important aspects of these preferences are usually on the first page. So, sometimes it's like opening some applications and closing them almost immediately.

Other times, honest but suspicious omissions could also be a factor. For instance, an experienced applicant failing or avoiding his/her last boss or a fresher avoiding his/her school as a reference. These and many more could help you while sorting.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 9:27am On Jan 12, 2017
casiello:

I like your sincerity.

Its the truth. There are always people above one who can bring the best out in one.
It does not reduce who we are, what our worth is nor what we can become.
Rather, it brings out the best in us, makes us a better person and helps build a good relationship with those whom you learn from and by extension continue to be with you all through the journey.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by AndyMolarAllwel(m): 9:31am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

Remember your target(passive seekers)/they don't submit C.V, they don't even read job ads & even when thy submit, they submit late. Then, how will you locate them? Well, may because of high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, but try & improve your method of going through the C.V. The average time to go through C.V is 11sec, so no matter the volume, you advertised the job, you have to go through it to get the target.....
All the best man.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 9:31am On Jan 12, 2017
histemple:

I find your statement (You are a god in HR) absolutely inappropriate.

However, let me disregard that and respond to your comment.

First if you don't have a robust HR department, then it's not good enough and your experience in such an environment can't reflect acceptable HR practices. It's just like using the experience of a manual subsistent farmer to discuss the effect of agriculture in an economy.

Secondly, there are unannounced preferences a HR personel anticipates while advertising a vacant position. The most important aspects of these preferences are usually on the first page. So, sometimes it's like opening some applications and closing them almost immediately.

Other times, honest but suspicious omissions could also be a factor. For instance, an experienced applicant failing or avoiding his/her last boss or a fresher avoiding his/her school as a reference. These and many more could help you while sorting.

''A god in HR'' is a figure of speech, do not take offense but thanks.

Remember not everyone can work in a robust HR department, hence the importance of having open discussions like this may help.
But you know what, I get your point, thanks so so much.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by AndyMolarAllwel(m): 9:36am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

Again, in a standard org, one person don't do the work of HR, you have HR Admin, HR Recruiter, HR compensation Officer, HR Trainer, HR I.T and in that order.....
So if your work is HR Recruiter, I see no reason you should not go through a million C.V.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 9:37am On Jan 12, 2017
AndyMolarAllwel:

Remember your target(passive seekers)/they don't submit C.V, they don't even read job ads & even when thy submit, they submit late. Then, how will you locate them? Well, may because of high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, but try & improve your method if going through the C.V. The average time to go through C.V is 11sec, so no matter the volume, you advertised the job, you have to go through it to get the target.....
All the best man.

Thanks chief. Few things worthy of note so far from all the comments of you guys are:

1. Take responsibility for the number of CVs received (All are equally important).
2. Take note of passive applicants who may actually be the folks you need.
3. Learnt how to sort out CVs without spending so much time on one. This way you can achieve much in less time.
4. Reduce the span of the vacancy to maximum of a week where the vacant position is limited.
5. Continually improve process.
6. Use a robust HR software of recruitment portal.
7. Someone should fill this in grin

Thanks guys and more importantly, to applicants like myself (because me self want a better job o) and others I am certain we have learnt from the guys here.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by ModestGal(f): 9:39am On Jan 12, 2017
casiello:

Y[b]ou are absolutely correct. You would however agree with me that this can only happen in robust HR department right?.
However, I am open to your comments. Like you said, you are a god in HR so what do I know than to learn from you.
The discussion was made open for people like you. Thanks for your comment.

Do you mind enlightening me how you reduce a million cvs to 50 in 4 hours?. Just curious. I can send you a pm if you feel my question is sardonic.[/b]

Modestgal already answered your question. Shorten the application duration!!

Where you have a vacancy for just one or a few position, you can limit the application period to maximum of a week.

Also, consider using an appplication portal, it would add objectivity and efficiency to your process.

Importantly, be solution-oriented! Don't always hide behind the excuse of excess applications. Fact is Nigeria is plagued with unemployment and under-employment so always factor in receipt of excessive and unsuitable applications prior to posting a vacancy.

Your process is obsolete and subjectivity, you need to move forward. Ever heard of the word Process improvement? Your job currently needs it.
Thanks for telling him the truth
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by AndyMolarAllwel(m): 9:40am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

Thanks chief. Few things worthy of note so far from all the comments of you guys are:

1. Take responsibility for the number of CVs received (All are equally important).
2. Take note of passive applicants who may actually be the folks you need.
3. Learnt how to sort out CVs without spending so much time on one. This way you can achieve much in less time.
4. Reduce the span of the vacancy to maximum of a week where the vacant position is limited.
5. Continually improve process.
6. Use a robust HR software of recruitment portal.
7. Someone should fill this in grin

Thanks guys and more importantly, to applicants like myself (because me self want a better job o) and others I am certain we have learnt from the guys here.

You are a correct man ready to learn. Thumbs up man..... God will lift you higher.... All the best
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by ikemesit4477: 9:46am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:
This is to help some of us who have been wondering how this is done and to all those who believe HR do not check CVs because of the volume. The assumption is that someone already has the job before the vacancy was posted.

For me, here is what I do:
Note: This does not represent all HR personnel mode of operation neither does it represent my organizations own.

1. When I post a vacancy to received CVs, from experience, most would be rejected because I use a screening technique that automatically sends emails that do not follow the stated instructions to spam. So those who did not follow the instructions were automatically taken to spam.

2. Those with luck who for some reasons found their way in as a result of some bug would be manually deleted by me.
Reason is that I have enough CV already and I cant start looking at someone who did not even follow instructions in the first place.
If you cannot follow instructions then you could be a bad fit.

3. The next step for me is to go from the beginning to see those who applied first (Its my own technique) then I start from there. I feel this is the only way for me to do justice. First come first served.

Thats why in the three major mistakes job seekers make, I mentioned that applicants should always apply fast: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/3-major-mistakes-job-seekers-make.html

4. I look at the contents, the structure before I even open the attachment. Your presentation matters to me.

My point is yes, we cannot look through all CVs but each HR person has a technique to ensure that fairness is implemented. How do you do it?

Related articles on www.HRtechnique.com
All I know job in Nigeria is man no man, permit me to share a little experience I have encounter, during job search, in 2009 when I wanted to do my IT, I was given a form to apply in mobil by a good Samaritan, though, the person didn't have hands he told me to try my luck after filling the form and I met all the requirements, now when to submit the form in Mobil, when I got there, I met one spy police, I never knew before he ask me what I came do I told him I want to submit my IT application, he ask me do u have anybody working here? I said no, he said had it been u have somebody, that these is not where I would have submitted it, that to tell me the truth, that slot have been shared long time ago, he now told to drop it in one basket like that uptill today I never receive any feed back.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

I am open to criticisms and recommendations. Appreciate your comment.

What would you have done to a million CVs?. Just asking in all humility.

Use an Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) before manual screening. Implement technological solutions and you won't have such issues. With ATS, you will have less work to do. Secondly, those techniques of yours ain't professional. They are not welcomed in the HR field. If you post this on top HR sites, you will be heavily criticized because there was no atom of professionalism in the post. HR posts are meant to educate job seekers and fellow HR professionals... Thanks
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Darayola(m): 11:03am On Jan 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od8oH8BygJA

Available for rent.
2 two bedroom flat
1 room and a parlour self contain

Location is Victory Estate, GSM bus stop, Adamo,Ikorodu Lagos.

Call/WhatsApp Yola@ 08035267070
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by realmindz: 11:14am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

I am open to criticisms and recommendations. Appreciate your comment.

What would you have done to a million CVs?. Just asking in all humility.

first come first served is injustice, unfair.

An application is open for a specified period and some candidates usually take their time for proper review then u are judging based on first come first serve? as long as applicants submit within timeline, this should be no basis for selection
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 11:16am On Jan 12, 2017
realmindz:

An application is open for a specified period and some candidates usually take their time for proper review then u are judging based on first come first serve? as long as applicants submit within timeline, this should be no basis for selection

Lesson learnt. Improvement in ones job is key. Appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 12, 2017
realmindz:

first come, first serve is normal. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 12:11pm On Jan 12, 2017
majekdom2:
first come, first serve is normal. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.

This is yet another perspective. Thanks but can you expatiate.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 6:58am On Jan 15, 2017
Uchihaitaci:

I get you, but trust me at the end of the day it pays to have someone with multinational experience or who has worked in a blue chip company in a similar position

True...
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 5:34pm On Mar 01, 2017
Urgent Vacancy To Close 6pm Today

Sorry this is coming late.

I urgently need to recruit a young man to execute a couple of functions in my organization.

Qualities i am looking for include:

> Attention to details
> Diligence
> Strong work ethic
> Advanced microsoft package skills
> Good communication skill
> Good presentation skill
> Quality people skill

Responsibilities will cut across areas like Logistics, Project Execution and Admin duties.
If you are such a person or you know such applicant, kindly forward CVs to seun.omotoso@meaircon.com
Deadline is 6pm today as interview comes up tomorrow.

Best regards.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 02, 2017
pls I'm a fresh graduate and my job experience is teaching. someone should help me pls (BSc. Holder), have been home since October. thank you
julietaregbule@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WAEC 2013 Recruitment Of Subject Officers / Apply For The 2017 Recare Limited Graduate Trainee Programme / N-power: N-power Batch C Included In 2021 Budget, To Commence Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.