Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,419 members, 7,971,529 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 11:24 AM

Open Letter To Prospective Corps Member - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Open Letter To Prospective Corps Member (429 Views)

Man Going For Interview Speaks Rudely To Prospective Employer Inside KEKE NAPEP / Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates / Open Letter To All First Class Graduates – "Dear First Class Graduates” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To Prospective Corps Member by ImpactBooks: 1:51pm On Jan 12, 2017
Dear Fresh Graduates, after series of semester tests and examinations, finally, you are now a graduate. Accept my congratulations! As you however await your much anticipated National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) programme, it simply means your quest towards serving your fatherland is very much underway. My dear ‘Ajuwaya’, let the truth be told, being a corps member is much more than the paparazzi and fun that many graduates like you (perhaps) believed to be. In a nutshell, you must get yourself organize so as to make the best out of your service year. I have therefore painstakingly highlighted here few things that you should use as your guiding principle as you prepare yourself for the journey of serving your fatherland:

1. As you travel for the orientation camp, do not join a commercial vehicle that is fully chartered by corps member like you. Without being pessimist, I hold strong reservation towards this and my reason is simple: excitement among colleagues can create unnecessary distraction to everyone in the vehicle most importantly the driver. Hence, road mishap can be timely and necessary prevented by mere psychological test;

2. Watch out and participate in any educational, professional courses or training programme that could add value to your curriculum vitae while at the orientation camp;

3. At your place of primary assignment (PPA), avoid unnecessary travelling. In summary, always stay at the right place at the right time;

4. Start your registration (even if you don’t have the plan of writing the exam during the service year) with a choice of professional body like ICAN, CIPM, ANIM etc. Being a student of a professional body can add value to your virgin CV (abi u get real work experience as a fresh graduate?);

5. Start studying towards writing professional examination during your service year. Buy and pack along with you available textbooks and other materials for your studying pleasure. Doing this will boost your confidence and level of preparedness towards writing the professional examination at the end of your service year. I am a living testimony. With all humility, I did not write all my ICAN paper/exam twice before qualifying!

6. If you are opportune to get a job at your serving state (particular at any northern state), my advice is that you should hold grip of it! Don’t waste such golden opportunity with the wild believe of coming home to get a job. Don’t be brain wash my dear; down here graduates are scampering for the available few jobs. Wise up please!

7. Don’t reject any posting to school as your PPA. I have heard comment like, “I don’t want to teach ooo’’; “I don’t want to be posted to school because I don’t like teaching”; bla…b bla…. Bla….. Listen: Teaching build your confidence of public speaking! In addition, It helps you to keep your knowledge in ‘form’ at all time. These qualities will help you at your first job interview after your service year. You can quote me;

8. Listen: Being a graduate now simply means less financial support from your parents, family and well wishers. You must now learn to be financially independent and nothing is too small to start with. Therefore, start saving from your little allawee! People like us started good life with the little we were able to save from our little allawee. So don’t chop life finish with your monthly allawee but save little out of it! And remember that, the only true help is SELF-HELP;

9. Build an entrepreneurial spirit. Planning to be your own CEO should top your list of priority. Engage yourself in any vocational training that you have passion for. Job search should be your plan B and not A. With this thought, you won’t have to fight the battle of ‘no job’ after service.
10. Be faithful to your partner! This may sounds hilarious but it is a bitter truth. Corps member engage in a lot of social immoralities all in the name of enjoying NYSC. Yet, I have seen and read corps members who ended their service with beautiful stories of meeting their soul mate. Different strokes for different folks. Whatever relationship you may find yourself during your service year; please don’t you forget the golden rule- be faithful and act responsibly;

11. Let your parents, siblings, friends and well wishers eat their fruit of labour in you. Do you remember all those people that you acknowledged in your school project with those sweet words for their financial and moral support towards your education? Good! Now is the time to give back to them in kind and cash!;

12. Develop the power of positive thinking: By the end of your service, alot of negative thought will fill your membrane particularly on job search. Stay positive. No matter the struggle for job search and survival after service you will not be found wanting. You must believe in yourselvf and your dream. If others can still make it despite all the challenges, you will not be an exception. Your success stories must also be heard. No matter the odds, just believe in yourself; you will make it because I believe in you!

Please be kind to share this letter with your fellow prospective corps members while I sincerely hope that you find my letter insightful and useful.

Blessings!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Welders And Fabricators Wanted In Ikorodu / Why Not Go Professional? / Skill Acquisition And Capacity Building Program.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.