Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,518 members, 7,951,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 11:36 AM

Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday (5051 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Celebrates Her Father, James Nwoye Adichie's 86th Birthday / Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Chinua Achebe's 86th Posthumous Birthday Is Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by LifeQuest(m): 1:36pm On Jan 13, 2017
I wont forget a good literature ride I had in my form one in 1986 reading Flora's Efuru. It was a ride into African culture and the plights of women folks in Africa. Sadly, it has been difficult to make my children read African Writer Series. Perhaps there is need for a new generation of African author who will promote Africanism in literature in modern language and settings. You stood out FLORA NWAPA...even in death.

Florence Nwanzuruahu Nkiru Nwapa (13 January 1931 – 16 October 1993) was a Nigerian Igbo author best known as Flora Nwapa, who has been called the mother of modern African literature. The forerunner to a generation of African women writers, she is acknowledged as the first African woman novelist to be published in the English language in Britain and achieve international recognition, with her first novel Efuru being published in 1966 by Heinemann Educational Books. While never considering herself a feminist, she is best known for recreating life and traditions from an Igbo woman's viewpoint

Born in Oguta, in south-eastern Nigeria, eldest of the six children of Christopher Ijeoma (an agent with the United Africa Company) and Martha Nwapa, a teacher of drama, Flora Nwapa attended school in Oguta, Port Harcourt and Lagos. She went on to earn a BA degree from University College, Ibadan, in 1957. She then went to Scotland, where she earned a Diploma in Education from Edinburgh University in 1958.

After returning to Nigeria, Nwapa joined the Ministry of Education in Calabar as an Education Officer until 1959. She then took employment as a teacher at Queen's School in Enugu, where she taught English and Geography from 1969 to 1971. She continued to work in both education and the civil service in several positions, including as Assistant Registrar, University of Lagos (1962–67). After the Nigerian civil war of 1967–70, she accepted cabinet office as Minister of Health and Social Welfare in East Central State (1970–71), and subsequently as Minister of Lands, Survey and Urban Development (1971–74).

Nwapa's first book, Efuru, was published in 1966, a pioneering work as an English-language novel by an African woman writer. It was followed by the novels Idu (1967), Never Again (1975), One is Enough (1981) and Women Are Different (1986). She published two collections of stories — This Is Lagos (1971) and Wives at War (1980) — and the volume of poems Cassava Song and Rice Song (1986). She was also the author of several books for children.

Flora Nwapa died from pneumonia on 16 October 1993 in hospital in Enugu, Nigeria, at the age of 62.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 13, 2017
I guess you are right about new crop of African writers...or else we may lose our African core values

1 Like

Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by slurryeye2: 6:55am On Jan 14, 2017
Continue to rest in peace Madam
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Ekpekus(m): 6:56am On Jan 14, 2017
Hmmmm but I don't know her though, I bet literature students would. sad
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by johnjay4u2u(m): 6:59am On Jan 14, 2017
nice
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by mcayomind: 7:00am On Jan 14, 2017
Hmmnn..... Oga oo
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by mcayomind: 7:02am On Jan 14, 2017
I wish i could get one of her book. I love literatures, second to india telenova
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by ThePathfinder(m): 7:03am On Jan 14, 2017
As a student of literature, I love all the literary works by Flora Nwapa. She actually set the pace for the likes of Chimamanda Adichie and the other modern writers. Rest on literary icon.

4 Likes

Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by moneylords(m): 7:07am On Jan 14, 2017
These are people worthy of celebrating.
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by sladimeji(m): 7:11am On Jan 14, 2017
#legendary
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by ahamonyeka(m): 7:13am On Jan 14, 2017
Is it nwapa or nwankpa?
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Samirana360(m): 7:39am On Jan 14, 2017
Nwada igbo
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by coolebux(m): 8:39am On Jan 14, 2017
A total "Diva"
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by EniHolar(f): 8:57am On Jan 14, 2017
Hmmmm... Efuru.

Can't forget.
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by internetpo(m): 9:11am On Jan 14, 2017
I loved that book Efuru. Kai. I need me a copy to reread and relive memories. Madam you formed part of my inspiration as an author, rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by pamcode(m): 9:12am On Jan 14, 2017
She was a heroine rest on ma.
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by dfrost: 9:22am On Jan 14, 2017
Nice write up. I saw her Google doodle and was impressed. So ironical that the world celebrates our own but Nigeria does not celebrate her own. So ironical. lipsrsealed cry
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Orikinla1: 10:02am On Jan 14, 2017
Thanks OP.
She was a great writer.
Her novels should make good movies.
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by avicky(f): 10:13am On Jan 14, 2017
Flora... One of the female literary icons I cherish so muvh.

Only literary addicts can relate.
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by sagitariusbaby(m): 10:24am On Jan 14, 2017
She was indeed a great writer. I love all her works especially Idu. Rest on madam
Re: Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Glorygrace(f): 7:57pm On Jan 14, 2017
Efuru!I remember reading the novel by Flora Nwapa.I never knew she was that popular almost like Chinua Achebe.Her works lives on after her.

(1) (Reply)

Amazon Kindle Ebook & Paperback Publishing! +All Digital Channels! / The Hyena Men - Gadawan Kura / Sex Stories: Jide Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.