Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,505 members, 7,898,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 07:18 AM

Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? (1123 Views)

Worldwide Black Govt or Pan Kemet Government setup / Jonathan Didn’t Order Electricity Tariff Reversal, Ex-nerc Chair Replies Fashola / Nigerian Government Secretly Increased Electricity Tariff (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by stone07(m): 7:42pm On Jan 13, 2017
I want to ask and be sure if it is true they have increased electricity tariff.
This is because when I went to pay my bill yesterday,I was told by the cashier that tariff has been increased from #23 to #24.
Let us know if it is true they have increased the tariff.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by idupaul: 7:43pm On Jan 13, 2017
It was quietly increased
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by Kondomatic(m): 7:58pm On Jan 13, 2017
Previous Bill. N7.5K Current Bill. N10k
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by greatgod2012(f): 8:05pm On Jan 13, 2017
It has been quietly increased! Thats naija leaders for you!

It's only in Nigeria that you'll have to pay for what you're not enjoyed.......... High tariff, very low power supply. Higher tariff, total blackout.

1 Like

Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by Eazybay(m): 8:21pm On Jan 13, 2017
8k last month, 13k dis month!! Same service, different bills. What do u think
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by stone07(m): 8:42pm On Jan 13, 2017
This issue should be moved to the front page if it is true govt quietly increased the tariff.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by blank(f): 11:11pm On Jan 13, 2017
The MYTO, Multi Year Tariff, was signed into law last year. It is for 5 years. Each disco proposed their own tariff. Each year will be a different tariff. Most disco's increased initially and from the 3rd year, it will start going down.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by chiscodedon(m): 11:18pm On Jan 13, 2017
abeg help me ask o...phed don cut my head...used to pay 5k was increased to 10k by December now January bill out,billed 14k...Wtf!
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by nickxtra(m): 11:23pm On Jan 13, 2017
stone07:
This is because when I went to pay my bill yesterday,I was told by the cashier that tariff has been increased from #23 to #24.
I noticed an increase of #1 to the bill of electricity units I purchased at Utako office of AEDC. I think Nigerians must be alert of this criminal act
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by nickxtra(m): 11:24pm On Jan 13, 2017
blank:
The MYTO, Multi Year Tariff, was signed into law last year. It is for 5 years. Each disco proposed their own tariff. Each year will be a different tariff. Most disco's increased initially and from the 3rd year, it will start going down.
Pls explain better
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by Milichoco(f): 11:30pm On Jan 13, 2017
Yap
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by blank(f): 11:21pm On Jan 16, 2017
nickxtra:
Pls explain better

Let me use Enugu disco tariff.

The disco proposed a 10 year tariff which was approved in 2016.

For R2 customers, 2015 - N16.44,
2016 - N27.13,
2017 - N34.28,
2018 - N34.36,
2019 - N25.40,
2018 - N23.27, etc.

This has already been approved in 2016 so they do not need to return to NERC or govt to ask for permission to increase as it has already been granted. All they need to do is continue to follow the tariff regime till the 10 years is over. However, this tariff was based on dollar at 199. Now that dollar is almost 500, they are asking for an increase.

This is same for all discos. The disco might decide not to implement the increase but it is supposedly at their discretion (or some arm twisting behind the scenes).

Hope that was clear enough.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 17, 2017
blank:

2016 - N27.13,
2017 - N34.28,
2018 - N34.36,
2019 - N25.40,
2018 - N23.27, etc.

This has already been approved in 2016 so they do not need to return to NERC or govt to ask for permission to increase as it has already been granted. All they need to do is continue to follow the tariff regime till the 10 years is over. However, this tariff was based on dollar at 199. Now that dollar is almost 500, they are asking for an increase.

This is same for all discos. The disco might decide not to implement the increase but it is supposedly at their discretion (or some arm twisting behind the scenes).

Good Blank, but anyone can guess that with this push to increase tariff in this economy, many would attempt to bypass the system.

Even now many bypass the prepaid meter (wholly or partially -- kitchen and laundry especially) to cut electricity costs.

How do the discos know the exact homes that bridge this? Can they see power usage per price paid without visiting? That is track the exact erring customers?

Plus I assume if there is a revenue shortfall (relating it to expected income) it would hamper their operation, right? Back to square one?
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by progress69: 8:51am On Jan 17, 2017
I saw a thread about this the other day.

IKDC have not incrased as at Monday last week after the thread by someone claiming an increase. I bought 20k worth and was still the same. Don't know if it depends on the Discos.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by nickxtra(m): 9:28am On Jan 17, 2017
blank:

2016 - N27.13,
2017 - N34.28,
2018 - N34.36,
2019 - N25.40,
2018 - N23.27, etc.

I think this arrangement is subject to corresponding efficiency on the part of the Discos and at least a guaranteed improved power supply. This, they have not been able to attain. So it will treacherous of them to be asking for increase in tariff.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by stone07(m): 9:39am On Jan 17, 2017
I think this stupid idea by phcn or what do they call them now will make me to think twice. I did promise I wld not bypass the metre before, but now nobody can stop me from going ahead with bypassing. Because where will I get money to pay during this high tariff.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by blank(f): 2:59pm On Jan 17, 2017
stone07:
I think this stupid idea by phcn or what do they call them now will make me to think twice. I did promise I wld not bypass the metre before, but now nobody can stop me from going ahead with bypassing. Because where will I get money to pay during this high tariff.

What Disco are you under?
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by blank(f): 3:04pm On Jan 17, 2017
nickxtra:
I think this arrangement is subject to corresponding efficiency on the part of the Discos and at least a guaranteed improved power supply. This, they have not been able to attain. So it will treacherous of them to be asking for increase in tariff.

Yes, guaranteed power supply but from government. You have forgotten that the discos do not generate power. The gencos generate and send to transmission which is still under govt. Govt, under NBET, are supervising the entire value chain. They promised the discos that they will ensure improved power supply thus the discos limited the tariff. However, govt has reneged as usual.

Improved power supply is not a function of the discos but the gencos under supervision of govt. Discos only ensure that the final output get to you. Where you can fault them is if you're transformer is spoilt or if some other issue happened on your line. But the availability of light is not really subject to them.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by blank(f): 3:05pm On Jan 17, 2017
cedaraustine:

Good Blank, but anyone can guess that with this push to increase tariff in this economy, many would attempt to bypass the system.

Even now many bypass the prepaid meter (wholly or partially -- kitchen and laundry especially) to cut electricity costs.

How do the discos know the exact homes that bridge this? Can they see power usage per price paid without visiting? That is track the exact erring customers?

Plus I assume if there is a revenue shortfall (relating it to expected income) it would hamper their operation, right? Back to square one?

Good question. Will respond better later tonight or tomorrow.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by stone07(m): 4:18pm On Jan 17, 2017
blank:

What Disco are you under?
I am under Ibadan.
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by nickxtra(m): 9:48am On Jan 18, 2017
blank:

Yes, guaranteed power supply but from government. You have forgotten that the discos do not generate power. The gencos generate and send to transmission which is still under govt. Govt, under NBET, are supervising the entire value chain. They promised the discos that they will ensure improved power supply thus the discos limited the tariff. However, govt has reneged as usual.

Improved power supply is not a function of the discos but the gencos under supervision of govt. Discos only ensure that the final output get to you. Where you can fault them is if you're transformer is spoilt or if some other issue happened on your line. But the availability of light is not really subject to them.
There are so many faulty transformers and power installations under their watch across Nigeria, yet they don't respond to fixing these issues as at when they should, even at times, they even ignore you when you make a complaint to them. Don't also forget that they are expected to provide transformers to communities, but have they fulfilled this obligations? No. As am making this comment, I know of a community (a new layout) somewhere around Dutse, Abuja, where AEDC refused to give or provide them with a transformer, but the residents resorted to be tasking every landlord or landlady to cough out about 40, 000 naira to purchase a transformer. And later, AEDC will start to claim ownership of this transformers. Is this supposed to be the case?
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by Nobody: 10:37am On Jan 20, 2017
blank:

Good question. Will respond better later tonight or tomorrow.

Okay
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by blank(f): 2:09pm On Jan 23, 2017
cedaraustine:

From what i gather:

How do the discos know the exact homes that bridge this? They go round and monitor the connections. They also have smart meters that show when the system has been bypassed.

Can they see power usage per price paid without visiting? Only with the smart meters. They can see general consumption from the meter reading of the transformers or feeders.

That is track the exact erring customers? When they check the connections, they can see if a person has bypassed. Sometimes, the people on the street give them information. That's how they track erring customers.

Back to square one? Exactly. But they are working with law enforcement officials to arrest such people and charge them to court. They also charge fines and penalties. It's not really great but it's what they are working with. They would rather partner with the CDAs so that it's a little easier.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 23, 2017
stone07:
No GOTV hasn't
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by laudate: 3:59pm On Jan 23, 2017
blank:

And when your pre-paid meter goes bad and they refuse to fix it, who bears the blame and who bears the brunt? shocked Eko Disco has turned a deaf ear to appeals for them to fix faulty pre-paid meters. Instead they prefer to share out estimated bills of 30k to 45k monthly to residential houses, when it is clear that the only thing they have supplied for the better part of the month, is nothing more than blackout! angry
Re: Has Govt Or Nepa Increased Electricity Tariff? by laudate: 2:08pm On Feb 01, 2017
Eko Disco must be the worst Disco in Nigeria, followed by Benin Disco. Chai!! They added a =N= 50,000 naira surcharge to my monthly bill. What da heck does that mean?? angry

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari Pictured With Ogun State Governor And Others In London / Gambia: Jammeh Was Ready For War – Troop Commander / Fayose Urges Nigerians To Pray For Buhari’s Quick Recovery. AIT NEWS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.