Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,144 members, 7,880,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:41 PM

Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities (14415 Views)

8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams / 6 Reasons Why Students Fail Examination Despite Studying / Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 12:50am On Jan 14, 2017
According to the message we preach, there are a lot of opportunities available for anyone that will explore them, there are a lot of people waiting to pay you for what you can do without cohesion- your hobby. A lot of petroleum companies dish out scholarship opportunities yearly, but over the years, even some so-called brilliant student miss out of it, and they struggle to live a fulfilling life.

We quickly look at the top five reasons why students fail to get successful on the stage of opportunities. The recent failure at the Etisalat literature fiction competition says a lot. The failure was not due to bad submissions, but there are more to it.

1. Fear of Failure

Fear of Failure is a great sickness that has bedeviled the African Continent for decades, the failure of not trying hurts more than the failure after trying. Trying is not an offense, Thomas Edison is a testimony to this. Many students are afraid of failing in a scholarship, they are afraid of being ridiculed. But the decisions made by ourselves are the real things that makes us who we are. Try an opportunity today, and see that fear is also afraid of itself.

2."Nothing goes for Free" Mentality

I once inteview a brilliant friend sometimes ago on why he does not apply for competitions and related offers. He simply put "do you think anything goes for free in Nigeria?"
Yea, there are lots of freebies out there for people who deserves them, but if they don't show up, then those who doesn't, gets it. There a real scholarships that you don't need a dime to get it.

3. Lack of intensive Efforts

If many students had taken the war of scholarships to be the war of building a G.P as an undergraduate, they would have been scholarship winners. But most times students only put effort into reading for their test, and only make a scholarship to be 50-50 chance. Put your best into anthing you're doing, it pays, no time or effort is a waste.

4. Indecisive Nature

Some students don't know what they want, maybe to travel out of Nigeria to study or stay in Nigeria. By so doing, they take anything that comes their way, and call it destiny. No! It's not, Know what you want and don't settle for less.

5. Over-dependence on Parents

One thing is sure, no matter how rich your parent may be, the money your parents gives you can never be enough. So, getting another source of income as a scholarship is not a bad idea. But some students choose to depend on their parents for every dime, so they don't take up opportunities.

This are the key reasons, adjust your self today and place yourself at the centre of opportunities.

http://scholarzine.com.ng/top-five-reasons-why-students-miss-out-of-scholarship-opportunities/

Cc: lalasticlala, Fynestboi, seun

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Bowwow11(m): 1:00am On Jan 14, 2017
U ar right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 14, 2017
basic thing is this, most public schools are now good for nothing: could remember back in the days where u wouldnt hv to mention three of the best school in abuja without GSS Maitama, School for The Gifted Gwagwalada, GSSS pyakasa et al. but u cant say the same today. secondly, most private schools are now business enterprises.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:59am On Jan 14, 2017
That number 2 really hit a chord.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Donshemzy1234: 9:01am On Jan 14, 2017
Op include rigid requirements from the scholarship board. in most cases before one can be considered as an aspirant for some scholarship, the money to get such requirement is enough to get some needs for your education. meanwhile check my signature students needs these the most......

3 Likes

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by plainmirror(m): 9:01am On Jan 14, 2017
I have my reservations to school system. If my parents had bought me a mobile device with Internet connection at the age of 10, I would have appreciated it more compared to sending me to a classroom everyday.
Even as an undergraduate presently in a federal varsity, I loathe the system and the static/backward knowledge it impacts.
In primary school we were thought that the 'sun rises in the East and sets in the West' which if false as Internet made me understand the Earth revolves around the sun.

The Internet and environment has taught me a whole lot. Thanks to whomsoever invented the former.
Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education.”

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by PETUK(m): 9:01am On Jan 14, 2017
I miss times when I was working at the zoo. My boss fired me just because I left the lion's gate open. I mean who would steal a lion?

5 Likes

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by TeeFeh(f): 9:02am On Jan 14, 2017
I dedicate this FP to my family grin

I'll come back and modify this when I come back from the village.

Good morning lalasticlala,another saturday has passed and we're not yet married,please do fast let's get married cheesy or don't you like Yoruba girls? kiss love you baby
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by ayatt(m): 9:02am On Jan 14, 2017
g
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Obiwannn: 9:03am On Jan 14, 2017
How did this make FP? sad
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by succyblinks(f): 9:04am On Jan 14, 2017
You forgot to add you will need your father, king of your town, course adviser, pastor of your church, vc or rector of your school, hod, dean, assistant dean, the coordinator of your class and even your course mate to sign your application form

When even just to get your course adviser to sign your course form is harder than finding a virgin above 27years old

Dah shii is stressful bruh undecided

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 14, 2017
That soo true...I need scholarship now self.....My parents are fucking up
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by NotNairalandi(m): 9:05am On Jan 14, 2017
op...if we check very well now you have never won any scholarship in your life.....and you are here telling us why we have not bn gvn any scholarship

commom gearrarahear mehn grin

3 Likes

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Saraben(f): 9:05am On Jan 14, 2017
I dedicate this to all of us who wants to apply for post graduate scholarship but can't afford the English proficiency test. ..smh

3 Likes

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by obamd: 9:08am On Jan 14, 2017
For international scholarships, Nigerians miss out because of poor writing skils. You need to write a good statement of purpose to get an organisation give you free money
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by toprealman: 9:08am On Jan 14, 2017
Nice topic, very poorly written article.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by SleekHoyeen(f): 9:08am On Jan 14, 2017
Thanks for this, OP.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by McBrooklyn(m): 9:10am On Jan 14, 2017
OP, you maybe right though... cool
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by izzy4shizzy(m): 9:11am On Jan 14, 2017
I see, where them students
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by adewumiopeyemi(m): 9:13am On Jan 14, 2017
ok
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Deeypeey(m): 9:13am On Jan 14, 2017
I regret not taking my scholarship chances while in school....now they seem very easy to secure to me...buh too late.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by SMREXY(m): 9:19am On Jan 14, 2017
Saraben:
I dedicate this to all of us who wants to apply for post graduate scholarship but can't afford the English proficiency test. ..smh
That's another hindrance my dear... The cost of these proficiency exams could start a postgraduate program in some universities here.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by TeeFeh(f): 9:23am On Jan 14, 2017
NotNairalandi:
op...if we check very well now you have never won any scholarship in your life before....and you are here telling us why we have not bn gvn any scholarship

bad belle people cheesy
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Naijalabel(m): 9:24am On Jan 14, 2017
Nice read
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by TeeFeh(f): 9:25am On Jan 14, 2017
NotNairalandi:
op...if we check very well now you have never won any scholarship in your life before....and you are here telling us why we have not bn gvn any scholarship

so you can't see the good in this post??nawa o
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by soath(m): 9:26am On Jan 14, 2017
Obiwannn:
How did this make FP? sad
Common the op is on point.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Aliyu333: 9:27am On Jan 14, 2017
I dont think scholarships today are actually free. I mean yea you might not need to pay a dime to get the scholarship, but the process to go through is for the okay class. I mean most masters scholarships demand a GMAT costing up to 75k a test of English costing up to 80k, a transcript costing 20k, and a whole lot of other nitty gritty.
To some the above is just a piece of cake, but in a family where u hardly have one meal a day you will understand what I meant. So its okay to fear.
That been said, it is very good to try, those money can never equal the value of what you will get IF you get the scholarship. No harm in trying, the future is bright.

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by NotNairalandi(m): 9:39am On Jan 14, 2017
TeeFeh:
bad belle people cheesy
op na your boyfriend?...dont allow that his white teeth to decieve you oooo..dat guy no get 1naira oo grin
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by BalogunIdowu(m): 9:50am On Jan 14, 2017
sure you are not incorrect... me I need notifications on available scholarship... any help
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Superbrain(m): 10:00am On Jan 14, 2017
Aliyu333:
I dont think scholarships today are actually free. I mean yea you might not need to pay a dime to get the scholarship, but the process to go through is for the okay class. I mean most masters scholarships demand a GMAT costing up to 75k a test of English costing up to 80k, a transcript costing 20k, and a whole lot of other nitty gritty.
To some the above is just a piece of cake, but in a family where u hardly have one meal a day you will understand what I meant. So its okay to fear.
That been said, it is very good to try, those money can never equal the value of what you will get IF you get the scholarship. No harm in trying, the future is bright.

I totally agree with you Aliyu because I've personally experienced both situations. In 2009 after graduating from university, I really wanted to study abroad for an MSc. I ended up using all my savings (almost 200k) to write the GRE, TOEFL and pay numerous application fees. Things didn't work out on the scholarship end despite all the hard work so I decided to take a break, work a bit but still pursue my dreams.

Fast-forward to 2015, I had saved up a lot more and now decided to pursue an MBA. Experience had taught me to be tactical and I was finally able to do my MBA last year all on a full scholarship. While finances may be a limitation, it's all about planning and staying focused. I could have given up after 2009 if I wanted to (by the way, I didn't have a job then and my financial situation was not good).

Just like the OP mentioned, the reason most people do not get opportunities is because they do not attempt in the first place. It takes a lot of work and grit to go after some scholarships but in the end, it all pays off. There is free money to pursue one's dreams but that money needs to be gotten with hard work and tenaciousness. Therein lies the true value of the scholarship.

Believe you can and pursue with all you have. Once you are focused on your goals and plan accordingly, you would achieve whatever you want. Delay is definitely not denial though delay can take a while, longer than we anticipate sometimes.

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by MsFaith: 10:46am On Jan 14, 2017
True talk jare, I had these weaknesses in me back then. Wish I could turn back the hands of time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lead City University Ibadan. / ASUU STRIKE:- Outcome Of Todays Meeting / Update ON Lagos Teacher Knocked Off My Nephews Tooth And Threatened Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.