Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,424 members, 7,888,309 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 02:19 AM

America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators (2697 Views)

Types Of Nigeria Senators / President Buhari In Perfect Health, Attends To Nigeria Senators Today At London / Between America's Senator David Vitter And Nigeria's Senator Bukar Abba Ibrahim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Emmahunk(m): 10:22pm On Jan 14, 2017
THE JOE BIDEN EXAMPLE: For all her Foreign Policy misadventures the US has raised the bar of governance and responsible leadership that the world and those who seek to truly serve the people must learn from. Joe Biden had been in public office for 43 years. He was elected into the Senate at 29. Served in the Senate for 35years and 8years as Vice President yet he couldn't afford to pay for the expensive cancer treatment of his son who was the Attorney General of his State of Delaware. The son was a Iraq war veteran who served in the Army before he became Attorney General. Biden had to offer his house for sale to be able to pay for the medical care of his son, of course the son must have spent himself out before Biden, the father could come in to help pay the bill. Obama had to stop him from selling his house and offered to pay for the medical care from his own personal money. Unfortunately the son died but not after the father had given all his best. Delaware is very close to Washington and he had come to Washington by train from Delaware everyday for work at the Capitol Hill and back home as a Senator. He will join the train back home on January 20th when he ends his tour of duty as the Vice President of United States. Delaware loves Biden for his years of service to the State and the people of United State. They call him the great son of Delaware. The point here is a man served for 35years as a Senator and 8years as Vice President and no tonnes of money buried inside his compound and bank accounts. How and where do politicians in US get their contentment that our own here can't go and find same. Leadership is about service. It is not a place to become billionaires and millionaires. For Biden, nothing but my admiration and respect.

-copied -

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
Niherian leaders see such positions as NPower programs

3 Likes

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jan 14, 2017
Them from the bottomless pit to finish this nation.

No light here since morning

2 Likes

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Favorite1: 11:15pm On Jan 14, 2017
Oyind17:

No light for 55 days now

1 Like

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by emorse(m): 11:22pm On Jan 14, 2017
Some of my people still have the guts to blame whites for our problems. We never see anything. Until we realise that our own leaders are our problems, we will remain the way we are.

4 Likes

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Nobody: 6:49am On Jan 15, 2017
Favorite1:

No light for 55 days now
Yours is worst gringrin still no light here though
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by seunmsg(m): 8:27am On Jan 15, 2017
Emmahunk:
How and where do politicians in US get their contentment that our own here can't go and find same.

-copied -

It is Not about our politician really, it is about our value system as a people. Americans talk so much about the love for their country and the values that were imbibed in them from childhood. Values of compassion, hard work, fairness, contribution to the good of the community etc. They take these values to public office when they become leaders.

In Nigeria, we have a crooked and corrupt societal values. We celebrate wealth irrespective of how it was gotten. Our leaders don't talk about the love of the country or any known values that propel them. If I am appointed a minister today, the people from my community, local govt and state will rejoice the most because of what I am expected to bring back home. I will be expected to share money, rice, okada etc regularly without anybody caring about where I got the money from. I will also be expected to give majority of the new employment in my ministry to people from my community and state irrespective of the federal character principle. If I don't do these things, my people will see me as a failure. Under the Nigerian value system, a successful leader is one who brings home the proceeds of corruption. That is why Bode George was celebrated when he came out of prison. That is why James Ibori will be celebrated by his people once he lands in Nigeria from the UK. Our leaders are a reflection of who we are.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Metroescobar: 8:37am On Jan 15, 2017
Oyind17:

Wetin concern nepa issue with Joe Biden? Or you just smoke up finish?
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by jpphilips(m): 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2017
There is something fundamentally wrong with the black man, who knows if the black man was made by Angel Gabriel not God.

1 Like

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by obyrich(m): 12:31pm On Jan 15, 2017
Food for thought. We really need constant review of our value systems. Rotimi Amechi once said and, I quote, 'we steal because you don't stone us.' It is a norm to rally round criminals and abusers of public offices in times of prosecution rather than condemn their action to further disuade future offenders, so long as they are 'from our place'. God help us to help ourselves.
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:08pm On Jan 15, 2017
jpphilips:
There is something fundamentally wrong with the black man, who knows if the black man was made by Angel Gabriel not God.

Angel Gabriel ole? I gasikwa.

No celestial body should be held responsible for that
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by LordAdam7: 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2017
seunmsg:

It is Not about our politician really, it is about our value system as a people. Americans talk so much about the love for their country and the values that were imbibed in them from childhood. Values of compassion, hard work, fairness, contribution to the good of the community etc. They take these values to public office when they become leaders.

In Nigeria, we have a crooked and corrupt societal values. We celebrate wealth irrespective of how it was gotten. Our leaders don't talk about the love of the country or any known values that propel them. If I am appointed a minister today, the people from my community, local govt and state will rejoice the most because of what I am expected to bring back home. I will be expected to share money, rice, okada etc regularly without anybody caring about where I got the money from. I will also be expected to give majority of the new employment in my ministry to people from my community and state irrespective of the federal character principle. If I don't do these things, my people will see me as a failure. Under the Nigerian value system, a successful leader is one who brings home the proceeds of corruption. That is why Bode George was celebrated when he came out of prison. That is why James Ibori will be celebrated by his people once he lands in Nigeria from the UK. Our leaders are a reflection of who we are.

A round of applause for you.

We are on opposite divides of the political spectrum, but this is as accurate as it'd ever get.

I guess the problem is that there is no consensus on how to combat this. Or maybe, the will is not there because both the elites and the hoi polloi don't want to give up these crooked values.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Wantedmiller: 4:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
wetin concern AGBORO with over load
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by 4Play(m): 4:57pm On Jan 15, 2017
It's about institutional checks and balances developed over centuries of trial and error. If Biden was a Nigerian senator, he would quite happily enrich himself as there is little repercussion for stealing.

We need to concentrate on building strong institutions that make it difficult to steal or to get away with theft. It is also why it is crucial, in the Nigerian context, to remove government intervention in markets: subsidies, regulations, e.t.c allow the political class to choose winners and losers.

5 Likes

Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by vedaxcool(m): 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2017
Nigeria senators only want to learn how to hide their loot.
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by omoolope2019(m): 6:07pm On Jan 15, 2017
emorse:
Some of my people still have the guts to blame whites for our problems. We never see anything. Until we realise that our own leaders are our problems, we will remain the way we are.

God bless you
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by jpphilips(m): 7:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Angel Gabriel ole? I gasikwa.
No celestial body should be held responsible for that
I think I agree!!
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Unimaginable123: 8:11pm On Jan 23, 2017
Op, have u watched 'Confirmation'? U will appreciate Senator Biden and American senators more
Re: America's Senator Joe Biden Vs Nigeria's Senators by Ferdinandu(m): 10:02pm On Jan 23, 2017
seunmsg:

You nailed the whole damned problem. it is all about faulty follwership not Leadership. The Leadership of today were once follwers. Bring the best Leaders that have ever been known to mankind with the mentality of our follwership, they are not achieving anything. But bring the worst leaders to the right follwership and you see they don't have option than to change or get out.

(1) (Reply)

APC Chairman Returns Buhari Branded Car In Imo State / Atiku Is Not Performing Well In The North / List Of Natural Resources In Nigeria And Their Locations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.