Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,957 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:02 AM

Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term (1207 Views)

Pics: OBJ Deserves 2 Years Jail Term For This Insults On Fayose! / Breaking; Radio Biafra Director, Nnamdi Kanu Arrested / Drop Your Goodbye Message For Outgoing President-Emeritus Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by AloyEmeka6: 2:47am On Nov 26, 2009
Former director gets 20 years jail term
Posted To The Web: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - Adelanwa Bamgboye,Lagos

A Lagos High Court yesterday sentenced a former Director in the Oyo State Civil Service Mrs. Helen Banke Laoye to 20 years imprisonment on a two count charge of fraud levelled against her by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

The statement of offence in her charge stated that she obtained money under false pretence and conspired with one Dr. Olaoluwa Balogun who is said to be at large to fraudulently collect N4 million from one Segun Olorunfunmi and Adeola Adepoju of East Atlantic Business Systems Support Services under the pretence that they would partner with the Oyo State government to support a developmental project.

The project according to the defendant was being funded by the British department for International Development (DFID). The judge found her guilty of conspiracy and obtaining money under false pretence which the charge sheet said was contrary to section 8(a) 3e and convicted her on both counts. Justice Obadina while delivering judgment said, “It is unfortunate that the defendant abused her office. I hereby sentence her to 10 years for each of the charges to run concurrently from September 21, 2005, when she was first arraigned in court and she should refund N4 million as restitution for her release from custody.”

While giving his plea for mercy, her counsel told the court that Helen had spent 27 years with the Oyo State civil service. He said the defendant had led international organizations in the Ministry of Health, adding that she is a mother. He maintained that she was a first offender and had learnt her lesson. The plea however did not succeed. [size=14pt]Since the court ordered a concurrent jail term, she will only spend 10 years out of the 20 in j[/size]ail.

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=10920&z=12
Re: Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by bawomolo(m): 4:30am On Nov 26, 2009
poor womn, she should have racked up more charges like bode george

24/12 = 2, 20/2 = 10

cheesy
Re: Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by AloyEmeka6: 4:50am On Nov 26, 2009
I don't know how Bode got 2 years and she got 10 years even though she didn't steal up to 10% of Bode's loot.
Re: Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by sjeezy8: 4:55am On Nov 26, 2009
aiye le ohhhh
Re: Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by lyfe(m): 8:35am On Nov 26, 2009
I am joining PDP right away, No immunity elsewhere
Re: Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by AloyEmeka6: 7:03pm On Nov 26, 2009
lyfe:

I am joining PDP right away, No immunity elsewhere

Get ready for the coming Nigerian revolution to throw your ass in jail for life. Revolution is nigh.
Re: Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by RICHIEBOI1(m): 7:20pm On Nov 26, 2009
my brother govt money sweet oo! grin
Re: Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by jamace(m): 9:02pm On Nov 26, 2009
my brother govt money sweet oo! grin

But If the bone hook your neck, you will become sober like ---(I f you say Bode, na you sabi)! cheesy cheesy
Re: Female Director Emeritus Gets 20 Years Jail Term by MrCrackles(m): 9:04pm On Nov 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I don't know how Bode got 2 years and she got 10 years even though she didn't steal up to 10% of Bode's loot.
It beats me too. . .

(1) (Reply)

Delta Guber Race Hots Up As Mercenaries Bomb Ukusare’s Home(pics) / Un-scribe-lauds-election-postponement / I Have Laid Foundation For Industrial Take Off - Ohakim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.