Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,399 members, 7,881,448 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:53 PM

Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools (1019 Views)

Boko Haram "Writes" Public Schools In Lagos / Apapa Blasts: Lagos Issues First-line Order To Public Schools / Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by AloyEmeka6: 6:52pm On Nov 26, 2009
Lagos Begins Computerisation of Public Schools
By Gboyega Akinsanmi, 11.24.2009
Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lagos State government has commenced a comprehensive computer literacy programme involving teachers and counselors in all primary and secondary schools as part of its effort aimed at improving learning and teaching techniques.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/25/203.html

The Commissioner for Science and Technology, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat who disclosed this recently during a capacity-building programme, said it was imperative that all the teachers in the state were trained in the art and science of computer operations.

“Beyond the above, the capacity-building programme was robustly designed to enhance proper administrative procedures and security of documents in the schools and to develop computational skills of their students,” he said.

He explained that majority of the activities in the state “are now technologically driven unlike the last decade. It becomes expedient to train all the staff, particularly, our teachers who are the trainers.”

According to Hamzat, the old system of backing the students and facing the black board is over, he said, adding that the programme would be vigorously pursued so as to increase the capacity building of the teachers.

The course contents, he said were in three modules which included computing fundamentals, key applications and on-line computer networking concepts and the internet.

On the criteria for selecting the participants, Hamzat said his ministry, in partnership with the Ministry of Education, would pick candidates from the six education districts across the state, while the Ministry of Science and Technology, in conjunction with the council chairmen would also nominate participants for the empowerment programmes.

The participants at the programme tasked the government to adequately upgrade the classrooms to meet their needs and that it should make provisions for uninterrupted supply of power to aid effective use of computer in the teaching and learning of various subjects and that the duration of the training should be extended.

Commending the state government for the programme, the “Batch 5” participating teachers from 24 schools, described the training as “very enriching and timely”. Spokesperson of the batch, Ogunaike Ganiyu Adedeji from Igbo-Owu Senior Secondary School in Mushin said government has done well, adding that such programme should be on regular basis.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by Kobojunkie: 7:47pm On Nov 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

The Commissioner for Science and Technology, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat who disclosed this recently during a capacity-building programme, said[b] it was imperative that all the teachers in the state were trained in the art and science of computer operations.[/b]

“Beyond the above, the capacity-building programme was robustly designed to enhance proper administrative procedures and security of documents in the schools and to develop computational skills of their students,” he said.

He explained that majority of the activities in the state “are now technologically driven unlike the last decade. It becomes expedient to train all the staff, particularly, our teachers who are the trainers.”

According to Hamzat, the old system of backing the students and facing the black board is over, he said, adding that the programme would be vigorously pursued so as to increase the capacity building of the teachers.

The course contents, he said were in three modules which included computing fundamentals, key applications and on-line computer networking concepts and the internet.

On the criteria for selecting the participants, Hamzat said his ministry, in partnership with the Ministry of Education, would pick candidates from the six education districts across the state, while the Ministry of Science and Technology, in conjunction with the council chairmen would also nominate participants for the empowerment programmes.
The participants at the programme tasked the government to adequately upgrade the classrooms to meet their needs and that it should make provisions for uninterrupted supply of power to aid effective use of computer in the teaching and learning of various subjects and that the duration of the training should be extended.

Commending the state government for the programme, the “Batch 5” participating teachers from 24 schools, described the training as “very enriching and timely”. Spokesperson of the batch, Ogunaike Ganiyu Adedeji from Igbo-Owu Senior Secondary School in Mushin said government has done well, adding that such programme should be on regular basis.

Clap ! Clap!! Clap!!!
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by paddylo1(m): 7:56pm On Nov 26, 2009
good,hearty cheers to fashola and his cabinet
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by Parohfrey(f): 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2009
a complete waste of resources - we need food on the table - this is according to the diasporians.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by AloyEmeka6: 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Clap ! Clap!! Clap!!!

This is a day of joy because Fashola has impressed Kobojunkie finally.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by AloyEmeka6: 8:08pm On Nov 26, 2009
Paroh_frey:

a complete waste of resources - we need food on the table - this is according to the diasporians.

Food without education is as good as nothing. We need both and man shall not live by bread alone.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by MrCrackles(m): 8:09pm On Nov 26, 2009
Paroh_frey:

Are you hungry Mr Diasporic
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by Kobojunkie: 8:09pm On Nov 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

This is a day of joy because Fashola has impressed Kobojunkie finally.

Question: Must I be IMPRESSED by my governor? I mean must I WORSHIP him for doing his job, a job he was hired and paid to do? Shouldn't I reserve my praise for when a person goes ABOVE AND BEYOND the call of duty? Or is that FORBIDDEN in your Nigeria?
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On Nov 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Food without education is as good as nothing. We need both and man shall not live by bread alone.

I am glad you are the one saying it.

Not until the government starts to focus more energy into actually making sure millions are WELL EDUCATED will we see LASTING change in that country. Nigeria, can boast that it has the most number of graduates in all of west africa, yet we cannot boast of having the best educational system, let alone educated people, in the same region. No amount of food, high rise buildings, flashy cars, boats and houses will make that happen.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by AloyEmeka6: 8:15pm On Nov 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Question: Must I be IMPRESSED by my governor? I mean must I WORSHIP him for doing his job, a job he was hired and paid to do?

In a country of the blind, one eyed man is the king. Since we live in a society where mediocre is celebrated, Fashola deserves a round of applause.After all, can you name any other government official in Nigeria who can match half of his performance. It may be his job, but I think he deserves a pat in the back sometimes. Its called motivation but I wouldn't want you to degenerate into a Fashola apologist tho.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by Kobojunkie: 8:21pm On Nov 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

In a country of the blind, one eyed man is the king. Since we live in a society where mediocre is celebrated, Fashola deserves a round of applause.After all, can you name any other government official in Nigeria who can match half of his performance. It may be his job, but I think he deserves a pat in the back sometimes. Its called motivation but I wouldn't want you to degenerate into a Fashola apologist tho.

@AloyEmeka, I don’t subscribe to same standards as you do there. There are exceptional beings in that same country, even as we understand that the majority are quite ok with the mediocre. That does not in any way mandate that we applaud those who rise up to do what they were supposed to do in the first place.

You think, that is fine! But is it also possible for you to understand that we do not ALL think alike, and we do not all have the same set of standards when it comes to what we expect of our leaders? 

I don’t think I can ever be considered an apologist – would describe myself more as a realist and an idealist second. Let ME praise him when I feel I need to, you go ahead and praise him when you perceive you want to. @AloyEmeka,only accord me the same respect knowing that I do not have to hold them to the same standards are you do.

@AloyEmeka, In this case, I applaud the fact that, finally, attention is being paid the state of education in the state, and the teachers; some focus is being put on educating the teachers. They, the teachers will definitely help shape the society a great deal. When we educate our educators, they will be better able to educate the populace, and help feed minds with needed information to fight necessary battles.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by Seun(m): 8:53pm On Nov 26, 2009
Let them actually do it first before you start fellating them.  This is just an announcement.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by paddylo1(m): 8:59pm On Nov 26, 2009
Let them actually do it first before you start fellating them.  This is just an announcement.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
seun u bush man. . .never knew u still lurk around these nonsensical threads.
anyway fashola is the man,i would vote for him for president if not that soludo and the east are zoned the hot seat from 2015
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by babapupa: 9:26pm On Nov 26, 2009
Great move as usual.

They are constantly proving that they are and always will be on the job.  Recognizing and encouraging good governance  is a million miles away from being an apologist.

This is not even a big deal because it's just one of many ideas they roll out everyday and end up accomplishing and regardless of nay sayings and cynical attitudes, they're yet to disappoint.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by AloyEmeka6: 9:43pm On Nov 26, 2009
babapupa:

Great move as usual.

They are constantly proving that they are and always will be on the job.  Recognizing and encouraging good governance  is a million miles away from being an apologist.

This is not even a big deal because it's just one of many ideas they roll out everyday and end up accomplishing and regardless of nay sayings and cynical attitudes, they're yet to disappoint.
grin grin LWKMD wink wink
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by back2back(f): 9:50pm On Nov 26, 2009
well done.

Hopefully, there will be 'electricity' soon to use these computers!
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by babapupa: 10:05pm On Nov 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

grin grin LWKMD wink wink

Just letting you know we heard you and we know the difference regardless of whatever label or terminology you guys subscribe to.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by AloyEmeka6: 12:02am On Nov 27, 2009
E be like say fashola get watchmen for Nairaland. The don't let any comment go scot-free no matter how sly the comment is. wink wink
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by babapupa: 12:13am On Nov 27, 2009
It's a tuff job and somebody got to do it.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by AloyEmeka6: 2:47am On Nov 27, 2009
Do you get paid for this Lagos state public relations job?
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:01am On Nov 27, 2009
WONDERFUL!!!
now its time for the rest of the states (that actually care about education) to follow along.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by babapupa: 3:42am On Nov 27, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Do you get paid for this Lagos state public relations job?

I don't know how much the state is paying or if they're paying for PR job on NL. Obviously, you are the PR man, you started the thread to alert us per the great work the state is doing and you yourself defended the state per kobo's usual silly rant. I honestly think you're in a better position to know if the state is paying and what they paying. 

I'm a Lagosian and I exude my Lagos pride accordingly.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by 9ja4eva: 4:51am On Nov 27, 2009
Fashola carry go

This is long overdue.
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by becomrich15: 4:54am On Nov 27, 2009
now let talk business, i can get you cheap computers. nigeriamail@hotmail.com very cheap
Re: Lagos Begins Computerisation Of Public Schools by THEAMAKA3(f): 5:09am On Nov 27, 2009
^^^^ on that note
*exits thread*

(1) (Reply)

Governor Adams Oshiomole; A Purposeful Leader / Ibb's Government Will Be The Best! / Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.