Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,223 members, 7,880,819 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:27 AM

Grace - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Grace (24624 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie, Her Father, James Nwoye Adichie & Mother Grace Ifeoma Bond / Chimamanda Adichie Nearly Cried Seeing Mother, Grace Ifeoma Read Online Comments / Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:04am On Feb 20, 2017
eitsei:
what about Grace's father? We really need to know if kome and her mom get along well? Did she found out kome is her biological mom and not adopted mom? And other questions waiting to be answered
Seriously, I will give thought to this but not now. I am quite busy with some other things. This is the kind of criticism I have been waiting for. Thanks.
Re: Grace by eitsei(m): 7:45am On Feb 20, 2017
Akposb:

Seriously, I will give thought to this but not now. I am quite busy with some other things. This is the kind of criticism I have been waiting for. Thanks.
you are welcome
Re: Grace by Lolsd: 11:16am On Feb 20, 2017
it's interesting but d ending is not what I expected, we don't no if kome's father accepted grace etc.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:55pm On Feb 20, 2017
First of all, I have thought over this story and I have resolve to continue at a later date. I am sorry for the delay. Thanks for your patience.

If you are interested, here is a link to one of my story though it's short.
https://www.nairaland.com/2326860/inordinate-pleasure-novellete#33937869
Re: Grace by oyinella(f): 7:43am On Feb 23, 2017
Akposb:
This comment got some Twist to it. Let's wait and see.
waiting patiently

1 Like

Re: Grace by triplemmm3(f): 10:11am On Feb 23, 2017
Seriously this story doesn't have an ending
Re: Grace by Missmossy(f): 10:57am On Feb 23, 2017
Not a good end. Reveal more asap. Such a beautiful piece.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 12:53pm On Mar 07, 2017
Thanks for the patience and I will appreciate if you come around.

xaviercasmir, johnsonibx, hannysmilez, adefunke2, etsie, mismossy, kajsa08, triplemmm3, oyinella, Blessytee, bibijay123, Loved, chuks134, Eveluv, Oluwabuqqola, Heenah etc
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 12:59pm On Mar 07, 2017
Kome drove home under a cloud. The chance meeting with John had left a bitter sweet taste in her mouth. She could agree to his offer and that would be sweet but she was not interested. This latter feeling had effectively rid her of the supposed comfort she felt she would have after such a thrilling trip. She needed the excitement on Grace’s face to confirm the fact that she was indeed at a cross road. She took surreptitious looks at the side mirror of the car as she examined the split image of hers. They had barely exchanged enough words which was another burden on her mind.

‘’ So did you enjoy the beach?’ She asked.

‘’ Yes ma’’ she replied.

‘Mummy would have sounded better’ she thought.

She turned to look at the road and could only envisage a tight period ahead. She was unprepared for anything related to an office romance. She turned to the stereo for solace at that moment and slotted in a CD. The music was quite inspirational and brought momentary comfort to her mind. They arrived home just before it was 5:00pm. Immediately she got to her room she placed a call to Bose. Her thoughts were filled with how she was going to confront John’s impossible request when Bose spoke.

‘’ Good evening ma’’ she greeted.

‘’ Hello dear, how are you?’ she asked.

‘’ I am fine ma’’ she replied.

‘’ How about your daughter?’ She asked.
The word ‘daughter’ irked her.

‘’ She is fine. We just returned from a trip to the beach’’ She said.

‘’ That is great’’ Bose replied.

‘’ Ma’’ she said.

‘’ Yes’’

‘’ I think its best I tell her the true state of our relationship. I am finding it difficult to have a good conversation with her’’

‘’ If that is the best option you have, try it. I think either options would suffice at this moment but if that is what you want do it’’ Bose replied.

‘’ Okay ma’’ she said.

Bose’s line went off immediately to her dismay. She was about to ask her opinion on John. She dropped the phone and looked around her room. She ought to feel at peace especially in relation to how much she had acquired but then she realized that the past always had a way of appearing in the present. Grace was both her past and present and she had no choice but to strike a relationship between the two. She left the room and walked to stand beside Grace’s room. She knocked on the door and it opened almost immediately. Grace had a cheerful look on her face and her eyes shone.

‘’ Can I come in?’ Kome asked.

‘’ Yes ma’’ Grace replied.

She followed her into the room and looked around. She turned around soon after and hugged Grace.

‘’ I love you’’ She said.

She felt Grace’s shoulders drop and held her for a while before letting go.

‘’ So what would you like to have for dinner?’ Kome asked.

‘’ Anything you have ma’’ She replied.

‘’ I will like your opinion’’

‘’ Okay, I like eba and soup’’

‘’ Okay. I want you in the kitchen soon’’

Kome left the room and walked to the kitchen. Grace joined her soon after. They prepared the meal together and ate thereafter. After the meal, they sat together in the sitting-room to see a movie. Grace’s attention was firmly taken by the movie but Kome’s mind was struggling to juggle two worlds. She was at least grateful for the improvement in her relationship with Grace but John was gradually becoming a distraction. She had agreed to have lunch with him at a notable restaurant the next day thus her worry. She was about to refuse his proposal of marriage when he suggested the meeting. She must have slept off as she was woken by a soft pat. She opened her eyes to see Grace standing in front of her.

‘’ Ma, the movie is finished’’ she said.

‘’ Okay, Grace I want you to understand that I am your mother now so mummy will be a preferable title’’ Kome said.

‘’ Okay ma’’ she replied.

‘’ Let’s pray’’

They had a short prayer before they retired for the night.

The next day, they went to church together and had a great time in the presence of God. Kome rested a while after their return from church before she left the venue of her date with John. The venue was the exquisite Chantel’s restaurant. The interior was an extravagant mixture of white and pink paint on the walls. She saw John immediately she entered. He was seated at the middle of the restaurant. She made her way towards him. He had stood up once he saw her approaching and he shook her hands. A bottle of malt was on the table in front of him.

‘So how are you?’ John asked.

‘I am fine’ she replied.

‘So what would you like to take?’

‘A glass of wine’

‘Okay’

He beckoned to a waiter who came around to meet them. John dictated his preference to him and he left immediately.

‘I am happy you honoured my request’

‘That is alright’

‘So what more aside your daughter I don’t know about you?’

‘Nothing else. As I said, I know little about you at the moment’

‘At least you are aware that I am divorced. Also I have lived in Port Harcourt before my eventual transfer here. I am from the Ijaw ethnic group and an indigene of Bayelsa’

The waiter returned at this point with two glasses of wine which he placed in front of them. Kome drank from hers while John finished up with his malt. She enjoyed the taste of the wine while she took the time to look at John. She knew no other person who had shown as much interest in her like Eric. Despite the intervening years, the thought of the times they had together still crept in.

‘John, I am clearly not ready to commit to a relationship yet. I like you but I do not want to suffer another failed relationship. I am still trying to get together with my daughter’

John waited a little while before he broke the silence.

‘I do understand whatever may be holding you back but I just want to assure you that my interest in you is genuine. I can give you some time to think about my proposal’

She drank the rest of the wine from the glass.

‘So what do you do on Sundays?’ he asked.

‘I go to church and spend the remaining time indoors’ she replied.

‘That is good’

‘What about you?’

‘It is just another day of rest though sometimes I do go on some emergency trip’

‘How about going to church?’

He chuckled ‘I have been giving thought to that of recent’

‘You can come to my church and I believe you will have a desire to become a regular’

Gradually, the time spilled away. Instead of a clammy feeling, Kome felt better as they left the restaurant. John followed her down to where her car was parked.

‘See you tomorrow’ he said.

She smiled back and drove out of the compound. She drove home with pleasant sensations cropping up in her mind. The meeting was interesting but yet she was cautious. She was firm on her desire to stay away from any form of romantic relationship. Just as she stopped in front of her house, her phone beeped. She checked and saw a message from Bose. It was a reminder of Franca’s marriage that was coming up the next week. She alighted and walked into the house. Grace was in the sitting room watching a television program.

‘Welcome ma’ she said.

‘So how have you been?’ Kome asked.

‘Fine’

She left immediately for her room. She was yet to decide on how she was going to approach Grace with the revelation of their true relationship. She sat on the bed and looked directly into the mirror on her dresser. She smiled at the image that reflected. Her face still bore a sheen which age had not dampened. After some contemplation, she stood up and walked to the sitting-room

3 Likes

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 1:41pm On Mar 07, 2017
Akposb:
Thanks for the patience and I will appreciate if you come around.

xaviercasmir, johnsonibx, hannysmilez, adefunke2, etsie, mismossy, kajsa08, triplemmm3, oyinella, Blessytee, bibijay123, Loved, chuks134 etc
Present boss. I know that you will continue with this work that why i had not unfollow this tread.
Thanks for the mention and nice update. More ink to your pen.

1 Like

Re: Grace by bossy512(f): 4:07pm On Mar 07, 2017
Well done, nice update, more wisdom

1 Like

Re: Grace by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 07, 2017
The storyline is simply beautiful.*thumbs up* smiley
Re: Grace by oyinella(f): 12:55am On Mar 08, 2017
wow! akposb you r truly amazing..... tnc for continuing our story
Re: Grace by kajsa08: 10:07am On Mar 08, 2017
@ Akposb thanks for the continuity. Time aff reach, coman update.
Re: Grace by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 08, 2017
Thanks for the continuation of the story

1 Like

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 8:27pm On Mar 08, 2017
cheesy
Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 8:27pm On Mar 08, 2017
OP thanks for continuing. More wisdom!!!

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 9:53pm On Mar 08, 2017
Missperfect28:
The storyline is simply beautiful.*thumbs up* smiley
Thanks and you are very much welcome.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 9:53pm On Mar 08, 2017
oyinella:
wow! akposb you r truly amazing..... tnc for continuing our story
Yeah... it's indeed our story.
Re: Grace by oyinella(f): 10:08pm On Mar 08, 2017
when are we expecting a very long update na
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:14am On Mar 09, 2017
The sitting room was quiet as Grace had left for her room. She went to the kitchen and prepared dinner. They ate thereafter and she called for prayers immediately. Once they were done, they returned to the sitting room and saw a movie for a while. All through, her mind was set on the perfect moment to reveal the secret.

‘Grace’

‘Ma’

‘I have something to tell you’

‘Okay ma’

‘What idea do you have about your true mother?’

‘I have not really thought of that as the reverend mother will always tell us that our parents are in heaven’

‘That is strange. So do you agree with her?’

A little silence ‘Yes, I do see my friends at school with their parents and it has never occurred to me to think about my parents’

‘How about if you were to discover that your mother is alive and actually cares about you’

‘I really don’t know what to say ma’

‘Grace, I am your mother’

Gradually, her eyes glistened in surprise. The realization had gradually crept on her. Kome watched her for a while without saying anything. It was a cold silence that descended on the sitting room.

‘How come?’ Grace asked suddenly.

It was a surprise question which Kome could not reply to. In the intervening silence, Grace stood up and left the sitting room. She made to stand up but sat back. Some minutes passed before she stood up and went to her room. She knocked on the door and pressed on the door knob. It opened and immediately her eyes met Grace’s. She was sitting on the bed with her hands crossed.

‘If you are my mother, how come I grew up in an orphanage?’ Grace asked.

Kome walked slowly into the room and sat beside her.

‘I took you to the orphanage to protect you. I had no support when I conceived you’

‘Who is my father?’

‘Your father and I are no longer together. He lived in Benin then but I am not so sure of his location’

Grace was clearly at a loss on what she would do with the new information. Kome drew her close and gave her a side hug. She stood up and left the room. She walked to her room with thoughts churning in her head. She climbed on her bed and grabbed her pillow. She had not thought of the reactions that would trail her revelation but now she knew this was obviously beyond any of what she would have predicted. She tossed and turned for a while on the bed all to no avail as her eyes showed no form of weariness.

She was woken up by the beeping noise from her phone. She felt a slight strain of ache shoot through her head. She struggled to sit on the bed. Immediately, she was confronted by the result of her discussion with Grace. In order to ward off the storm of thoughts that was gradually building up, she knelt and prayed. Few minutes after, she stood up and walked to the sitting-room. It was dark and quiet. She left and went to knock on Grace’s door. There was no answer at first, she repeated the knocking and soon after, it was opened. Her eyes were red and weary.

‘Good morning ma’ she said.

‘Good morning, how are you?’

‘I am fine’

‘I am about preparing to leave for work, dress up and come to the sitting-room’

Kome left for her room immediately. She was still struggling to get going with the kind of relationship she felt in her head. She prepared for work and found Grace waiting as she stepped into the sitting-room.

‘So what would you want for breakfast?’

‘I don’t feel hungry’ a grudging reply.

A mixture of pain and anger coursed through her head. She could not imagine that this kid was about pushing her into a corner.

‘All right, here have this’

She gave her a sum of five hundred naira.

‘There are provisions in the kitchen, buy whatever you want’

She left the sitting room immediately. All through the journey down to the office, she tried to ward off thoughts that assailed her mind. She was not about to regret a decision she thought she made for the benefit of a seeming ungrateful child. She arrived at the compound just in time to see John alight from his car. A remembrance of their meeting gave her momentary relief. She had barely given thought to his gentleman disposition. He had managed to filter some of the negative questions she had about him in her mind. Although, she was not ready to change her stance yet. She contemplated this as she walked to the reception.

Grace felt free once Kome drove out of the compound. She had been taken up by surprise at Kome’s revelation. She would not have imagined that she would confront this possibility someday but rather than been excited, she felt cheated. She had denied her the opportunity to grow up under her tutelage and also have separated her from the comfort she had with her other mates at the orphanage. The revelation had only accentuated the difference she had felt once her adoption was confirmed. Also she could not come to terms with the fact that she had taken too long in telling her.

The sun was out basking in its glory before she stood up from the couch in the sitting room. The stillness in the house accentuated her desire for company. She stood up and left for her room. She had her bath and dressed up. She strolled out of the compound into the streets. The environment was quiet as many of the neighbours had gone to work. Once in a while, the loud burst of music came from houses. She had not thought of eating but then her stomach rumbled. She needed to eat. She went to a nearby store and bought meat-pie and a bottle of Fanta. She sat down to eat.

Just then, a girl came to the store. She had an average height and a fair skin. She looked inquisitively at the dark and tall frame of Grace. Grace’s eyes met with hers.

‘Hello’ she said.

‘Good morning’ Grace replied.

‘I haven’t met you before. You are definitely new here’ she said.

She came to stand near Grace.

‘Yes, I just moved in with my mother’

‘Okay, my name is Temi, what’s yours’

‘Grace’

‘So what class are you?’

‘S.S. 2’

‘Okay, I will soon start my senior secondary school education. So where do you live?’

‘Over there’

She pointed some distance to the left.

‘Okay, my house is just down there’

Temi pointed to the opposite direction. She also went and bought the things she had come for earlier.

‘Good to see you’

Temi left immediately. Grace finished her meal and stood up. She left the front of the shop and started walking towards the right. She was taking note of the area as she had not walked the distance. She was always taken by Kome in her car whenever they were going out. The walk seemed to ease her.

Kome arrived home in the evening to meet a locked door. She was surprised to see that the door was locked and the expression of worry that registered on her face confirmed her fear. She was sure Grace hardly knew her way around the neighbourhood. She went to her room and tried to put aside the uncomfortable feeling that was gradually taking over her mind. The day at work had been stressful hence she needed rest which she was unsure of at the moment. She took a can of malt from the freezer and drank from it. It brought a bit of relief to her troubled nerve. The time was 6:00pm and yet the door at the entrance had not opened. She went to check her room to confirm and found the door was locked.
Kome was easing off with a programme showing on television when Grace came into the sitting-room. She had broken no sweat as her face was shining with traces of powder.

‘Good evening ma’ she greeted.

‘Where are you coming from?’ Kome asked coldly.

‘I went to see a friend’

‘What, where did you find a friend?’

‘Her name is Temi, I met her today’

‘And you decided to return this late’

‘I am very sorry. It was due to some…’

‘I can’t accept any stupid excuse from you’

It was an outburst that brought sudden silence to the room.

‘You didn’t even bother to look at the time?’

Kome was sitting on the edge of her seat clearly angry.

‘Ma, I am sorry’ she said.

‘You just leave’

She waved her off. Grace walked out of the sitting-room while Kome looked suddenly disinterested in the programme. She was struggling to put her expectations in place.
Kome had finished preparing the table for dinner when she realized that Grace had been in her room since their little squabble. She went and knocked on her door but there was no reply. She knocked again and there was none. She turned on the door knob and it opened. Grace was sitting on the bed with tear lined face. She walked to sit on her bed with concern clearly written on her face.

‘What is wrong with you? Why are you crying?’

‘I want to return back to Benin’

A cold silence followed.

‘Grace, why are you acting this way?’

‘Ma, I am not happy here’

Kome shifted on the bed and drew her head close.

‘This is your home. You must understand that I do everything out of my love for you’

She embraced Grace who reciprocated reluctantly.

‘You must come now to the dinning. Dinner is ready’

Grace stood up and they walked together to the sitting room. They had their dinner in silence each clearly contemplating their relationship. Kome knew it was best she start defining the relationship in a not too forceful tone.

‘So where did you meet this friend of yours?’

‘I met her at the shop down the road’

‘And you went to her house?’

‘She invited me over when she saw me on the street’

‘Okay, that is okay. I see you are bored’

‘Yes ma’

‘So what would you want me to get for you to keep you busy?’

Grace looked up clearly undecided and with a tinge of surprise.

‘Grace, you must understand that everything I am willing to share everything I own with you. You just have to trust me enough to tell me everything about you at any point in time’

‘Okay ma’

‘Alright, take the plates to the kitchen’

Grace stood up and carried the plates to the kitchen. They had their prayers soon after. Once Kome laid down to rest, she breathed easily at the outcome of their little after dinner meeting. She was sure that singular discussion had thawed the ice that was gradually forming between them.

3 Likes

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 12:18pm On Mar 09, 2017
kome really need to understand how to be parent. Using harsh tone will make her daughter not to be herself around her. Although she later correct herself.
Nice write up boss.
Re: Grace by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 09, 2017
Hello, need your service on a writing project, how do I contact you?
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 5:55pm On Mar 09, 2017
Fiyinfoluwa20:
Hello, need your service on a writing project, how do I contact you?
Good evening, send me message on aruakpookoribe@gmail.com
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 2:32pm On Mar 10, 2017
She was right as their relationship became better as the days went by. Kome felt at peace as their communication became better. At work, there was little time for cheer as events came rolling in like a whirl wind. She scarcely had time to meet John long enough to brush any personal conversation with him. Caught between a busy work place and a growing relationship with her daughter, the week went quite fast. Franca’s marriage was billed for the weekend and she felt better at the realization that she would meet Bose.

Shadow of the Past

She had Grace for company as they travelled to Benin just before the close of work on that Friday. She had obtained permission from the manager earlier to leave before the close of work on that day. The stereo entertained her as she drove without getting into much conversation with Grace. She had some important things to do in Benin and she needed as much rest she could get. They arrived the home of Bose in about two hours. The environment bore some element of festivity. She had her bag in her hands while Grace took hers as they walked into the house. Young girls and some women milled around the house. She walked into the house and met Bose conversing with Franca.

‘Waoh, Kome you are here!

‘Good evening ma’ she greeted.

‘So where is Grace?’

Grace came into the sitting-room and Bose immediately walked to embrace her.

‘How are you?’ Bose asked.

‘I am fine ma’

‘I can see your mom is taking care of you very well’

Grace smiled in acknowledgement.

‘Alright, please be seated’

‘Good evening ma’ Franca greeted.

‘Franca, I am so sorry. Congratulations’ Kome embraced her.

Bose returned to sit beside Franca while Kome had Grace by her side.

‘Once again, I am so happy to have you here Kome. I believe you saw traces of our little ceremony yesterday’

A coy smile appeared on Franca’s face.

‘Yes, she is taken and tomorrow will be the final hand-over. I am already missing her’

Bose eyes met Franca’s and she immediately averted her eyes.

‘Kome, mom has been troubling me with too much attention since my return. I am just glad tomorrow is the moment’ Franca said excitedly.

‘You can imagine that feeling of becoming independent’ Bose mocked ‘any way, I definitely know Peter’s house’

They all burst into rapturous laughter. They discussed for a while before Grace left the gathering. Franca followed next after she got a call. Bose stood up and went to sit beside Kome.

‘So how are you feeling?’ Bose asked.

‘Well…I am trying my best’

‘It’s definitely not easy to become a mother. I am sorry I have not called as much to check how you are faring. It is instructive that you go to the orphanage before you leave. I have been in contact with Bridget’

‘Okay ma’

‘So how did she take the revelation?’

‘It was not a pleasant reaction at first but I kind of managed the situation. She is not that difficult’

‘That is the spirit’ Bose grinned.

Kome felt a kindred spirit looking at the smiling face of Bose.

‘So how is the preparation so far?’ Kome asked after a brief silence.

‘Fine. Tomorrow is the day all of these will finally end. I have just taken a little time off to rest. There is so much work to be done before we retire for the night’

They discussed a little more before Bose was called outside. Kome followed behind as they walked to the side of the building where a group of women were boiling a huge pot of tomatoes. Grace was nowhere in sight and this got the interest of Kome who left the women immediately. She found her in company of Franca and some other ladies. She found Tessy among the other ladies and they exchanged pleasantries. They were sizing up some clothes and accessories. Kome sat on the bed and watched as the ladies argued about some little details. The ambience of the room reflected cheer and warmth. The evening went on in this mood and it was indeed far into the night that they decided to go to bed. There were so many people in the house that all rooms were occupied. Bose invited Kome and Grace to share her room with her. They said little as everyone slept off almost immediately already envisaging a stressed but happy tomorrow.

The women woke up just before the clock struck five the next morning and they began cooking immediately. Kome slept some more with Grace beside her. They woke up an hour after and set about helping with other chores. The church ceremony was fixed for 10:00am hence there was a little bit of haste as they went about their preparations. Franca was feted with care and attention and was largely restricted to her room.

Kome and Grace left the house already dressed at eight. Their destination was the orphanage. She had called the previous day to inform Bridget about her impending visit. There was less vehicular movement as Kome drove through the streets on the way to Mother Theresa orphanage home. They arrived the home to the cheerful voices of the kids who were out playing some games. Grace looked from the passenger’s seat with nostalgia. She had been away barely a month and it seemed a year already.

She loathed the feeling that was gradually creeping up on her mind. It had been a week of revelation and was gradually coming to terms with the implication of her relationship with her adopted mother. She alighted from the car at the order of her mother and started towards where the children were playing. Immediately, one of the kids shouted her name and the others ran enthusiastically to meet her. She tried to control the children but gave up after much effort as they embraced and pulled at her. The door of the main building opened and there was Bridget standing dressed in her usual cloth. Kome walked to meet her.

‘Good morning ma’

‘Good morning Kome, how are you?’

‘I am fine ma’

‘I am happy you came with her. Though distance may separate us but we have always had her in our thoughts. How has the relationship been?’

‘It’s been fine’

‘Definitely, she is a good girl’

Grace came soon after.

‘Good morning ma’

‘Good morning my dear, how are you?’

‘I am fine ma’

‘Kome, I’d like to have a word with Grace’

‘Okay. I will be waiting’

‘Okay thank you’

Bridget took Grace’s hand and they walked inside the building. Kome took the time to savour the environment. Faint rays of the sun were already visible in the lawns while the kids continued in their morning exercise. She had little to think about as she tried to engage her thoughts. Franca’s marriage brought back thoughts of her past relationships. She was yet to recover from those hurts and this was affecting her in the present. John could be sincere but yet she was unwilling. Her age was almost proving an unmovable albatross. She could not imagine walking the aisle to pledge her faithfulness to a man. She was rescued from this labyrinth of thoughts once Bridget and Grace returned.

‘Thank you Kome. I will also like to speak with you’

‘Okay’

She followed Bridget into her office.

‘First of all I must commend you for taking care of our daughter not minding the fact that she is yours now’

‘Thank you. I do appreciate your kind disposition ma’

‘You are welcome. So what plans do you have for her education?’

‘I am thinking of enrolling her in a school in Warri’

‘Okay, that is good. So how well has she behaved or what is your relationship with her like?’

‘It is fine. We had some issues along the way but we have been communicating’

‘That is good to hear. Bose has consistently kept us abreast of all development concerning you and Grace. We wish you the best’

‘Thank you’

Bridget stood up and led Kome out of the office. They got outside to see Grace playing with the kids. Bridget called Grace and they all walked to the car park together. Bridget drew Grace into her embrace just before she was about to take the passenger’s seat. Immediately, Grace sat on the seat, Kome drove out of the compound. Grace had a smile on her face as they drove into the streets. She was thrilled to have finally met her friends after her first separation from them.

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:02pm On Mar 11, 2017
Kome and Grace met the wedding service mid-way. The venue was the Holy saints Catholic Church. They sat at the back even though the attendance was sparse. It was not surprising as most people had interest only in the reception party. The ceremony finished some thirty minutes after and they were off to the Grand event Centre for the reception. Kome managed to catch a glimpse of Bose who was resplendently dressed in wrapper and blouse. A gold necklace adorned her neck and she was indeed the cynosure of all eyes.

Kome and Grace sat at one of the several tables that occupied the big reception hall. The tables sat four hence they had two chairs empty before them. Some minutes after they were seated, a fair complexioned lady looking almost the same age as Kome, dressed in a lovely lace gown stopped by the table.

‘Hello, is anybody sitting here?’ She asked pointing to the two empty chairs.

‘No’ Kome replied.

‘Okay, I and my husband will sit here then’

She sat down and placed her bag on the empty chair beside hers. Kome and Grace kept their concentration on the events going on around the stage set for the couple. The couple danced in followed by a crowd of family members and friends. The ceremony began in earnest. The ceremony was chaired by Chief Osareimen. The name rang a bell in Kome’s mind until she was confronted by a huge dark man with greying beards. He looked very much like Eric’s father. The remaining members of the high table were called and immediately the ceremony was declared open. The chairman gave the opening speech and some nice music followed as the couple were duly engaged with several task. The lady who sat with them was becoming uncomfortable with each passing moment as she kept looking around the hall. Some attendants came by their table and gave them a meal of rice and fish. They started eating immediately. Some minutes after, a man came by the table and sat down beside the lady.

‘Dear, what took you so long?’ the lady queried.

‘I am sorry, I had to help my dad with some little things’ he replied.

The voice was unmistakably Eric’s even though it had become bolder. Kome stole a look at the man for confirmation and on seeing him, she struggled to turn away from him. Eric’s attention was on his wife. The room suddenly became claustrophobic and Kome stood up leaving Grace who was trying to take in the activities of the couple. Kome stayed outside for what seemed like hours and she would not have gone back if Grace had followed her. She thought of looking to see if Eric had left but he was seated drinking from a bottle of malt. She went back after a while and sat down. Immediately Eric’s eyes met hers. The shock on his eyes was clear and visibly expressed.

‘Kome, how come’ he chuckled.

His wife looked from him to Kome and then back to her husband.

‘You know her?’ She asked.

‘Yes, my former girlfriend’

He said it with some bit of assurance that irked Kome. She stood up to leave before she remembered Grace whose attention had turned to the little scene playing out in their table.

‘Grace, let’s leave’

Grace stood up immediately and they walked out of the hall. They had almost reached the car park when Eric caught up with them.

‘Where are you running to?’ Eric asked.

‘It is none of your business’ she replied calmly.

‘Seriously, we met after all these years and you are running away’

‘Stop that accusation’

‘Okay. I am just surprised to see you and I must say I am kind of happy to have met you after all these years. You are looking good’

‘Grace, let’s leave’

Eric looked at Grace and was suddenly curious.

‘Who is she?’ he asked.

‘She is my daughter’

Eric chuckled and suddenly shock returned to his eyes.

‘Is she my daug…?’

‘Don’t you dare utter that word. Grace, get in the car’

Eric rushed to stand beside Kome.

‘Please you don’t have to leave like this. I am very sorry for what I did to you’

‘Eric, what is your problem?’

‘Dear’ the voice of Eric’s wife.

Kome seized that moment and entered the driver’s seat. Eric was not done.

‘I do sincerely wish you would forgive me’ He said.

Kome exhaled with her hands firmly on the steering wheel.

‘Eric, you have no worries, I have forgotten about you long ago’ she said.

She turned on the ignition and drove out of the compound. She caught a glimpse of several onlookers who had gathered to witness the scene. She had in fact told a lie when she said she had forgotten as thoughts of the past came racing into her head. Tears had taken residence at the corner of her eyes but she struggled to keep them under control. She was not oblivious of the watching teenager. The journey to Bose’s house was an unhurried process as Kome drove under moderate speed. She was almost operating in an autopilot state. Once she stopped in front of Bose’s house, she rested on her seat and then the tears flowed freely.

‘Mummy, sorry’ Grace said.

Kome felt little comfort and embraced her consolation from a torrid past.

3 Likes

Re: Grace by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 11, 2017
wow! imagine the pain, I don't think that Eric get sense at all. Ewu Gambia. nice one bro

1 Like

Re: Grace by Lolsd: 3:34pm On Mar 12, 2017
d eric of a guy is an idiot oooo ...... after what he did nd he had d gut to say kome is looking good .I bet he was expecting her to look hungry nd shattered. He does not deserve forgiveness
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:38pm On Mar 12, 2017
adefunke62:
wow! imagine the pain, I don't think that Eric get sense at all. Ewu Gambia. nice one bro
Lol... which one is Ewu Gambia.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:41pm On Mar 12, 2017
Lolsd:
d eric of a guy is an idiot oooo ...... after what he did nd he had d gut to say kome is looking good .I bet he was expecting her to look hungry nd shattered. He does not deserve forgiveness
You can't discount the fact that he is completely surprised. Forgiveness is a two way thing.
Re: Grace by yorhmienerd(m): 9:51pm On Mar 12, 2017
angry That Eric get mind o shocked

Assuming I was Kome, I'd have stab him with the table knife or fork. Hian, what insolence sad

Nice work man, just had time to read it after following since the begining.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 5:43pm On Mar 13, 2017
yorhmienerd:
angry That Eric get mind o shocked

Assuming I was Kome, I'd have stab him with the table knife or fork. Hian, what insolence sad

Nice work man, just had time to read it after following since the begining.
You are very much welcome bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate / The Consequences of Rape - By Classcaptain / Stranded-by Ogunnawo Mathews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.