Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,351 members, 7,891,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 03:00 PM

Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed (871 Views)

Tips On How To Speed Up A Slow Computer. / How Can I Download A Large Size File, Very Fast / Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by jumbex03: 2:08am On Nov 27, 2009
is the large size of my hd disk (250 g)responsible for the slow speed or my operating system (vista).thanks d gurus
Re: Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by sidnazious(m): 12:53pm On Nov 27, 2009
Nope the large size of your hard disk may not be the problem, many factors can make your system slow.

- the power of your processor
- your ram size
- your hard disk speed (rpm)
- your graphics card
- operating system you are running e.t.c

so let us know this things so one can know where to start, also your system may just need a little tweaking and maintenance. so reply
Re: Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by mikesleek(m): 7:00am On Nov 29, 2009
@poster, what is the config of your system?
Re: Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by deji2009(m): 11:05pm On Nov 29, 2009
jumbex03:

is the large size of my hd disk (250 g)responsible for the slow speed or my operating system (vista).thanks d gurus

Efficient 252 GB >512MB OF RAM. no good

80GB HD >512>Good. Having 250GB HD or more

does not cause slow performace. RAM upgrade/increase

is what you need if that what you are considering

Good luck
Re: Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by blackweaver(m): 11:30pm On Nov 29, 2009
@deji i guess u must be a patient pc user for me o with any os more recent than xp
ram < 1gb is not acceptable in fact even xp is just barely manageable at 1gb
@poster i suspect the problem may either be because of some program(s) hoggin the memory
then again, how long have u been using the pc and how long ago did you
start noticing that it was slow?
Re: Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by deji2009(m): 11:35pm On Nov 29, 2009
blackweaver:

deji i guess u must be a patient pc user for me o with any osmore recent than xp
ram < 1gb is not acceptable
@poster i suspect the problem may either be because of some program(s) hoggin the memory
then again, how long have u been using the pc and how long ago did you
start noticing that it was slow?

Yeah you"re right my brother. majority of PC i stripped either

have 512MB or 1GB OF RAM. personally is not acceptable

I have XP dual boot Lunix and windows 7 that utilises

2 GB of Ram and on my laptop Windows 7 3 GB. @ poster

yeah you were asked. when does it start occuring.

Good luck
Re: Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by blackweaver(m): 11:50pm On Nov 29, 2009
@deji
u know for a minute i thought you said 7.3gb ram on your laptop i wan shout
will have to take time to count how many oses i have on my pc
celeron 2.8ghz, 1.5gb ram, 3 hard disks making a total of 360gb
win xp, win7, freebsd,Opensolaris and up to 7 or more brands of linux
Re: Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by deji2009(m): 12:07am On Nov 30, 2009
blackweaver:

@deji
u know for a minute i thought you said 7.3gb ram on your laptop i wan shout
will have to take time to count how many oses i have on my pc
celeron 2.8ghz, 1.5gb ram, 3 hard disks making a total of 360gb
win xp, win7, freebsd,Opensolaris and up to 7 or more brands of linux

lol. windows 7 then 3GB I meant.

what interface did you use to connect

all this. IDE, SATA, EIDE 1.5GB RAM i think

that small for all those O/s you have

cool
Re: Is The Large Size Of My Hd Disk (250 G)responsible For The Slow Speed by blackweaver(m): 11:26am On Nov 30, 2009
2 ides and 1 sata, would have added another ide but i don't have another power "slot" on my power pack
1.5gb is usually not too small for me , i only run 1 os at a time virtual machines are so slow so i seldom use them,
most time my ram usage is under 1gb anyway (i just like seeing all that free ram)
i think my biggest bottleneck is actually my processor, problem is the only way to upgrade is to
buy a new mobo; it's even hard to get a pci or avg graphics card in pc villa now, everything is
pci express not to talk of a processor; and buying a new mobo is not a priority at the moment

(1) (Reply)

Brand New Hp Mini Laptops 4 Sale / Affordable Voip Intercom System / Is It Possible To Password A Folder In My P.c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.