Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,864 members, 7,872,865 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:52 AM

House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets (6833 Views)

Ondo Government Orders Closure Of All Markets / Coronavirus: FG Orders Closure Of Varsities, Schools Nationwide / Codeine Ban: Five Other Pharmaceutical Drugs Abused By Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Captain6(m): 9:11am On Jan 24, 2017
As a Pharmacist in the making,i applaud this idea,i hope it would be properly implemented.
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by gabbytabby: 9:40am On Jan 24, 2017
There is one in my house run by Mr and Mrs Tawakalitu Owoide who live across the street at 5/7 Olufemi Akintunde street. Majek, Ajah lagos.

They sell fake and expired drugs and she says she is a Nurse and has been carrying out all manner of illegality. They will usually open between 6pm and 11pm

Area J Commander at Ajiwe police station Ajah is aware but has okayed their continued stay. Apparently the papa is part of police funding agency that has been donating to Ajiwe.

I no want make them kill person for my domot.

e
Lautechgossip:
Worried by the nefarious activities of unqualified individuals in the trade and distribution of drugs , House of Representatives has mandated the Federal Ministry of Health and the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria, PCN, to immediately shut down all unregistered pharmaceutical shops within the country and discipline the culprits accordingly.

Pursuant to Act P17 LFN 2004 and other relevant Pharmacy and Drugs Laws of the Federation, the PCN has mandate to inspect, approve and license premises where pharmaceutical activities take place (manufacturing, importation, distribution,wholesale and retail pharmaceutical premises and patent and proprietary medicine vendors shops).

Deliberating on the “need to regulate the establishment of pharmaceutical shops and drug stores” on Thursday December 1, 2016, the House urged the “Federal Ministry of Health and the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria to commence inspection of all pharmaceutical shops with a view to closing down all those that are not duly registered and to carry out disciplinary measures against the defaulters”.

The House acknowledged the categories of pharmaceutical shops and the scope of their practice as well as the peculiar needs of each in terms of man power, equipment and premises specification but expressed concern that one-room apartment pharmaceutical shops, otherwise known as “chemist shops” exist in all sort of locations and buildings which lack basic facilities and in most cases manned by laymen.

Further, the House observed that some “spiritual and healing homes masquerading as worship centers or charity homes operate freely as drugs and medicines dispensaries, while some local manufacturers of drugs and medicines use all sorts of rickety vehicles to advertise and sell their drugs and medicines”, noting that these unprofessional ways of warehousing, distribution and dispensing of drugs and medicines serve as channels for the infiltration of quacks into the pharmacy profession and a major challenge to public health.

“The infiltration of the pharmaceutical practice by unqualified persons and the attendant unprofessional services being rendered by these people have resulted to the death of countless number of innocent Nigerians, not counting the economic losses due to the supply and purchase of fake, expired and unwholesome drugs and medicine”, the House said.

The Registrar of the PCN, Pharm. Elijah Mohammed, expressed gratitude to the House and said the resolution came at a time when the Council had stepped up its enforcement activities.

He acknowledged that it served to strengthen the Council influshingout the quacks and will help to win theneeded peace in the pharmacy practice environment.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/01/house-of-reps-orders-closure-of.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

4 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by mmsen: 9:44am On Jan 24, 2017
Shouldn't this be happening all the time? Why do the House of Reps have to order a ministry to do its job?
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Aawizdom(m): 10:45am On Jan 24, 2017
Lautechgossip:
Worried by the nefarious activities of unqualified individuals in the trade and distribution of drugs , House of Representatives has mandated the Federal Ministry of Health and the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria, PCN, to immediately shut down all unregistered pharmaceutical shops within the country and discipline the culprits accordingly.

Pursuant to Act P17 LFN 2004 and other relevant Pharmacy and Drugs Laws of the Federation, the PCN has mandate to inspect, approve and license premises where pharmaceutical activities take place (manufacturing, importation, distribution,wholesale and retail pharmaceutical premises and patent and proprietary medicine vendors shops).

Deliberating on the “need to regulate the establishment of pharmaceutical shops and drug stores” on Thursday December 1, 2016, the House urged the “Federal Ministry of Health and the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria to commence inspection of all pharmaceutical shops with a view to closing down all those that are not duly registered and to carry out disciplinary measures against the defaulters”.

The House acknowledged the categories of pharmaceutical shops and the scope of their practice as well as the peculiar needs of each in terms of man power, equipment and premises specification but expressed concern that one-room apartment pharmaceutical shops, otherwise known as “chemist shops” exist in all sort of locations and buildings which lack basic facilities and in most cases manned by laymen.

Further, the House observed that some “spiritual and healing homes masquerading as worship centers or charity homes operate freely as drugs and medicines dispensaries, while some local manufacturers of drugs and medicines use all sorts of rickety vehicles to advertise and sell their drugs and medicines”, noting that these unprofessional ways of warehousing, distribution and dispensing of drugs and medicines serve as channels for the infiltration of quacks into the pharmacy profession and a major challenge to public health.

“The infiltration of the pharmaceutical practice by unqualified persons and the attendant unprofessional services being rendered by these people have resulted to the death of countless number of innocent Nigerians, not counting the economic losses due to the supply and purchase of fake, expired and unwholesome drugs and medicine”, the House said.

The Registrar of the PCN, Pharm. Elijah Mohammed, expressed gratitude to the House and said the resolution came at a time when the Council had stepped up its enforcement activities.

He acknowledged that it served to strengthen the Council influshingout the quacks and will help to win theneeded peace in the pharmacy practice environment.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/01/house-of-reps-orders-closure-of.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique
Excellent development if thoroughly implemented. I hail yah.
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by APCmyheart(m): 12:44pm On Jan 24, 2017
Good move, Igbos will suffer for this..
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Lagusta(m): 2:35pm On Jan 24, 2017
ontolegit:
The prospect is bright. U need to register adequately. I'm also interested,im a doc too,so let's brainstorm on this together

That's nice....

so please how does one register??

In order not to derail this thread, please PM me via any of my contacts on my siggy....

thanks
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by mccoy47(m): 2:59pm On Jan 24, 2017
Ginaz:
Good move, there was this pharmacy I saw while in P.H it looked horrible and there were just few dirty looking drugs all over the place.

I said to the woman I forgot the name of the drug I came to buy and hurriedly left with my life. Before they give me expired drug or ebola infested one.

POSTINOR2 grin

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Dynamite02: 3:45pm On Jan 24, 2017
ontolegit:
The prospect is bright. U need to register adequately. I'm also interested,im a doc too,so let's brainstorm on this togetherquote author=Lagusta post=53078539]Please only mature replies....

I am a doc and I'm thinking of opening a pharmacy store.....

Please what are the prospects
Employ a pharmacist!
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Lagusta(m): 3:51pm On Jan 24, 2017
Dynamite02:

Employ a pharmacist!

Give me just one reason why i shouldn't employ a pharmacy technician instead.....
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by coolestchris2: 7:46pm On Jan 24, 2017
This girl u go don burst bottle before
Ginaz:

Chailll, if you be politician you go thief wel wel. You didn't comment like 3 minutes ago. You booked a space with a smiley. grin

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by ontolegit(m): 7:08pm On Jan 25, 2017
Sure.....!i respect all profession
Dynamite02:

Employ a pharmacist!
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by ontolegit(m): 7:12pm On Jan 25, 2017
Alrigt
Lagusta:

That's nice....

so please how does one register??

In order not to derail this thread, please PM me via any of my contacts on my siggy....

thanks
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 29, 2017
Lagusta:

Give me just one reason why i shouldn't employ a pharmacy technician instead.....
Cos a pharmacy tech is not a pharmacist nd for ur premises to be registered u must have a pharmacist as stipulated by PCN

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Lagusta(m): 5:22pm On Jan 30, 2017
fabulousfortune:
Cos a pharmacy tech is not a pharmacist nd for ur premises to be registered u must have a pharmacist as stipulated by PCN

story for the gods...... grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Negative Effect Of Taking Cold Water That You Need To Know Now.. / Where Can I Get A Urologist In Lagos! / Forever Lite Ultra With Aminotein Shake Good For Sports People, Body Builders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.