Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,609 members, 7,944,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 05:11 AM

How To Spot A Bad Software Developer - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Spot A Bad Software Developer (4156 Views)

How To Spot A Hacked App / Macjoe Umanah (macjoe23) Is A Bad Scammer Big Thief On Nairaland / Advances In AI Are Used To Spot Signs Of Sexuality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 12:48pm On Jan 29, 2017
Febup:
@Asalimpo

I can provide you with free web hosting if you want, so build a complex web application without using google as a reference and l will post the link here.

I dont need your free web hosting. I dont need to try to prove myself to you or any1. I've told you all you need to know. Besides, your thinking is chronically wrong, how would you be able to prove that I did it, when you are not physically with me to observe me?

AntiWailer:
No serious programmer will not use google.

Except u are writing multiplication table .

You meet new challenges everyday and u need references online.

I am talking about challenges you have never come across before not how to use If Then Else.

.... and yes I am talking with over a decade experience In Programming and lead on several mission critical projects.

I quote that as an iconic example of ignorance and close mindedness in a supposedly logical discipline.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 29, 2017
@Asalimpo

When you start writing complex applications no one will tell you to start using google as a reference.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 10:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
@Febup
Like what really? I've given you a list of 23 types of apps that can be written completely unplugged from the worldwide web for the duration of the program. What else? What application will u write that books, language docs, compilers/interpreters alone will not be enough? In my opinion, NONE.

You are entitled to your opinion though. No need to drag the issue.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 12:05am On Jan 30, 2017
@Asalimpo

Okay I will give a simple test here, when you're reading a topic here on nairaland and then decide to login to comment on that topic, you get redirected back to the home page after logging in, now go and look for the solution in a book or e-book and tell us the page where you found the solution.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 5:08am On Jan 30, 2017
Febup:
@Asalimpo
Okay I will give a simple test here, when you're reading a topic here on nairaland and then decide to login to comment on that topic, you get redirected back to the home page after logging in, now go and look for the solution in a book or e-book and tell us the page where you found the solution.

Your test is too simple. I want a harder one and non web/mobile based one. (dont tell me web/mobile is the only kind of programming possible)
I dont want toy tests. Send me the baddest one you have worked on that absolutely couldnt be solved without google.

Your argument is that - you cant write Complex applications with just reference materials (books, language docs ) alone.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 30, 2017
asalimpo:

Your argument is that - you cant write Complex applications with just reference materials (books, language docs ) alone.

No you are wrong. You can get a language doc much faster by doing a google search.

Books are for those who are still learning or are unable to access the internet, but where there is internet access there is no reason to waste time reading a book if you have already been developing complex applications.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by romme2u: 12:27am On Jan 31, 2017
asalimpo:

Your test is too simple. I want a harder one and non web/mobile based one. (dont tell me web/mobile is the only kind of programming possible)
I dont want toy tests. Send me the baddest one you have worked on that absolutely couldnt be solved without google.

bro you are working up your nerves with these guys. Personality, Experience and skill level matters.
personally i hate googling and avoid it as much as i can except areas i am not too familiar with.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 8:57am On Jan 31, 2017
asalimpo:

This test is now simple for me but it was not when I first had to tackle it, and by using google for research I was able to get ideas from others who have had a similar issue, then I was able to add my own logic to the ideas I was able to gather from others to arrive at a solution.

Being a software developer means if you are giving a project you can research into it and come up with a solution, software development is not the same as performing magic, software development techniques keeps evolving and this is possible through research.

So there is no reason why you should not come up with the solution to the test I gave you and let us know the page of the book or e-books where you found the solution as you've insisted that you are a book and e-book person.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by AntiWailer: 11:12am On Mar 01, 2020
I really hope this one don grow up or he is still wallowing in the poverty of dogmatism.

He even claimed he will build banking software without 'googling'

Na only your coins go enter the software.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Deicide: 2:42pm On Mar 02, 2020
Most of the answer you would find on Google you would get them in the documentation if you know what you are looking for. But it's slow so searching on Google is still better if you don't wanna waste time.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by ensodev(m): 6:32pm On Mar 02, 2020
asalimpo:

Google bears no relevance to coding work, except you're looking for some script to download and use.
The api docs, references (ebooks) is enough. You dont need the latest api docs anyway, they dont change so often.
A program = data structure + algorithm. How much googling dyu need for that!

It ok.

I guess you've got your materials and style that works for you.

I can't do project and put Google behind me, we are always side by side possibly because I hate to cram. I don't have time to weaste also, if I need to remember how to use a function in any language I Google it and I get lots of implementations usage...and choose which one is best for the present project, say rand function or rand_int function in php. Mind you I don't do copy and paste, but have learnt to read people's code and so I can get better.

If youre into new stuffs and new project then I don't think you will be able to do away with Google or the likes. I consider your ebooks and YouTube to be Google siblings in this matter.

It not a shame, sometimes I have complete documentations of all the tools open on a monitor and Google open sepreately. I consider Google as my tech lead.

Whatever problem I have got has been solved by someone somewhere and only Google or other search engine can help me get those info.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need An Android App For Your Blog/website? Get One Free / Help!!! How Do I Download Premium Videos From Lynda, Tut+, For Free! / Why Nigerian Software Firms Are Absent On The Global Map

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.