Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,319 members, 7,897,457 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 02:28 PM

Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? (904 Views)

Stephen Keshi Return Again To Lead Nigeria In Remaining Afcon Qualifiers. / Iheanacho, Ezeh, Obasi And Baba With Nigerian U13 In 2010 (Pic) / Shocking! Hidden Message In 2010 World Cup Logo. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by khanye(m): 7:12pm On Dec 01, 2009
Roberto Mancini might be heading to World Cup 2010 as coach of Nigeria according to the latest reports in Italy.

Sky Sport Italia claim the former Inter coach has been contacted by the Nigerian Football Association and they have offered him the job. The report claims the Super Eagles are keen to have 'Mancio' lead them out in South Africa.

It is said the lure of the World Cup scenario could tempt Mancini into accepting the offer, meaning there will be three Italian coaches at the tournament, Marcello Lippi with Italy, and Fabio Capello on the England bench.

The Jesi-born tactician has also been linked with Real Madrid, Manchester City, Russia and Notts County.

Despite the report, Mancini has not added any substance to it just yet.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/12/01/1659387/roberto-mancini-to-lead-nigeria-in-2010-world-cup
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by snowdrops(m): 4:47pm On Dec 02, 2009
Millions of £$£$ about to be wasted on another oyinbo.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by davidif: 9:08am On Dec 03, 2009
poster,
Goal.com is not actually known for there journalistic integrity, they cook up rumors just to increase the number of readers they have so until this is confirmed by the NFF, i am not buying it. If it is true, then it is excellent news.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by nastydamus(m): 2:08pm On Dec 04, 2009
I'd rather pitch tent with Guus anyday. Truth be told though, Amodu isn't the man for the WC in S.A.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by hollandis(f): 8:30pm On Dec 04, 2009
whether it is Gus or Mancini,there will be an exit of Olofijana,kanu,Taiye ,Aiyegbeni and other bench warming and unfit players
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by davidif: 6:44am On Dec 05, 2009
nastydamus:

I'd rather pitch tent with Guus anyday. Truth be told though, Amodu isn't the man for the WC in S.A.

Omo, you wan bankrupt NFA?
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by edoyad(m): 7:37am On Dec 05, 2009
OP If you frequent the English premier league/ UEFA . . . subsection, you'd sites like goal.com aren't taken that seriously there. I think that david guy already said it.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by BloodShed1: 11:48am On Dec 05, 2009
Cool, rather him coach us than that fat bastard.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by otokx(m): 6:35pm On Dec 05, 2009
They should allow AMODU to finish what he started
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by nguage(m): 10:04pm On Dec 05, 2009
NO!!!! Siasia/Westerhoff '09
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by davidif: 3:56pm On Dec 08, 2009
n-guage:

NO!!!! Siasia/Westerhoff '09

So we can end up getting knocked out in the second round again? abeg, it is time we started aiming for the Cup itself and not just the second round or quarter finals. I am tired of that "at least they tried sha" mentality that Nigerians have.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by Sagamite(m): 4:56pm On Dec 08, 2009
otokx:

They should allow AMODU to finish what he started

Most likely he would.

Mancini ko, Eshinshin ni.

davidif:

So we can end up getting knocked out in the second round again? abeg, it is time we started aiming for the Cup itself and not just the second round or quarter finals. I am tired of that "at least they tried sha" mentality that Nigerians have.

You want to win WC with Yobo, Nwaneri, Ayinla, Ike Uche, Odems, Mikel and Nigeria bigman mentality?  undecided

So what do you expect the likes of Brazil, England, Holland, Italy, Argentina, Germany with Kaka, Robinho, Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Van Persie, Robben, Cannavarro, Pirlo, Messi, Tevez, Ballack, Klose to be doing?

It would be a miracle to use our above average players to win the ANC, talkless of WC.

SE lacks:

[list]
[li]Commitment - Which a coach needs time to develop AND SUSTAIN. It is hard to achieve, and harder to achieve with black Africans. Hardest with "I am too important" mentally-caused Nigerians.[/li]
[li]Creativity - There is no creative player that has a Nigerian passport at the moment that is able to play at that level. Hence commitment above becomes more important with the use of people like Odems to do what they can with creativity.[/li]
[li]A Leader - Very few teams win anything without an obvious leader in the team. We have no Drogba, Essien, Etoo that can change a game in an instance, motivate or carry the team. The closest we have is Kanu, but he can not play more than 25 mins because he is 55 years old. Yobo is not an inspirational leader but is the captain as Odems does not have the charisma to carry that clout.[/li]
[/list]

I repeat, Nigeria is not in the top 3 African football nations based on player quality and team-playing capability. So who are we to be demanding some success from someone already achieving with the limited team. Amodu is not going to make pigs fly without some magic.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by davidif: 2:08am On Dec 11, 2009
You want to win WC with Yobo, Nwaneri, Ayinla, Ike Uche, Odems, Mikel and Nigeria bigman mentality?   

So what do you expect the likes of Brazil, England, Holland, Italy, Argentina, Germany with Kaka, Robinho, Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Van Persie, Robben, Cannavarro, Pirlo, Messi, Tevez, Ballack, Klose to be doing?

It would be a miracle to use our above average players to win the ANC, talkless of WC.

I know that we have average talent  but if Hiddink can take a team like South Korea to the world cup semis and the Russians to the Euro 2008 semis then there is nothing stopping us from at least getting that stage. Remember that what seperates a legendary coach from a great one is the ability for the coach to make his team punch waaaaaaaaay above there weight. Let's not also forget that football is the ultimate team game and not a sport like basketball that is overly dominated by an individual (like Kobe and the Lakers). There are teams like Greece who have beaten teams that had much better decorated players than them. A good coach is able to make the team gel sooooooooo well together so that they can beat teams with better players than them just like Egypt did in the last two ACN's.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by Sagamite(m): 4:26am On Dec 11, 2009
davidif:

I know that we have average talent  but if Hiddink can take a team like South Korea to the world cup semis and the Russians to the Euro 2008 semis then there is nothing stopping us from at least getting that stage. Remember that what seperates a legendary coach from a great one is the ability for the coach to make his team punch waaaaaaaaay above there weight. Let's not also forget that football is the ultimate team game and not a sport like basketball that is overly dominated by an individual (like Kobe and the Lakers). There are teams like Greece who have beaten teams that had much better decorated players than them. A good coach is able to make the team gel sooooooooo well together so that they can beat teams with better players than them just like Egypt did in the last two ACN's.

No doubt you are right on your points but:

1) I doubt Hiddink can do that under 6-8 months, I will think he would need about 2 years to build his team.

2) You can not sack a winning coach and replace with one that would come and reap where he did not sow especially when he failed at his own given task.

3) Amodu has done his job well and has a great record with the SE and is by far the only feasible candidate that can conclude the work. Others are likely to be another waste of money like Bora.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by snowdrops(m): 9:05am On Dec 11, 2009
You guys like you FA are wasting precious time debating who the next coach will be while other countries are putting finishing touches to their world/nations cup plans.
Weldone.
Re: Roberto Mancini To Lead Nigeria In 2010 World Cup? by honeric01(m): 9:13am On Dec 11, 2009
Amodu remains

(1) (Reply)

Segs... / Keshi Releases 23 Man List For Confederation Cup / EPL First-day Fixture 2013/2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.