Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,565 members, 7,929,810 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 11:56 PM

RETROSPECT FIFA U-17 & U-20 2010! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / RETROSPECT FIFA U-17 & U-20 2010! (752 Views)

Falconet Player Sophia Omotola Omidiji: National U-20 Women / Nigeria Vs Korea DPR (6 - 2) FIFA U-20 Women's WC Semi Final On Wed 20th August / FIFA U-20 Women : Nigeria Score Fastest Goal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RETROSPECT FIFA U-17 & U-20 2010! by FBS: 12:18pm On Dec 02, 2009
Ok both the FIFA U-17 and U-20 tournaments are over and while we can at least congratulate the U-17 squad (coach inclusive) for a good performance (hey, forget about the age issue for now because it was clear for all to see that the boys played very well even after a shaky start) whereas the U-20 squad (coach inclusive) was a disaster.

Many lessons were learnt, new heroes and players were discovered during the U-17 tournament and my personal joy was aside, watching the boys play soccer the way we knew it, all the players were/are home based (Mr. Amodu can borrow a leaf from that). They had pace, skill, agility and precision. Hunger, passion and desire. True they only came second, but well, they tried.

The only thing to address here for many will be the age issue. It is a very difficult one to address given our environment and the thick-skins at the helms of affairs of our nations football a.k.a. NFF/NFA.
But it can be made easy if we start to scout for players now. The Pepsi Football Academy is leading the way by organizing under 13 – 15 years competition among all the centers of the Academy in Nigeria. This is a very bright start in the right direction.
Another major issue here is, how many of the U-17 squad will make it to the U-20 team.
Are they good enough? Certainly YES!

The U-20 team and performance as we all know (even if you don't agree) was a disaster and coach Samson Siasia  damaged his CV. . .too bad because we all held him in awe. Not only did he fumble with his selection, it turned out that he had no game plan.
The BIG QUESTION here is, how many of the players will make it to the Super Eagles.

The next FIFA U-17 and U-20 tournaments come up in Mexico (2011) and Colombia (2011) respectively and to be preceded by Continental Championships in the same year. Seems far but it is never late to start the preparations.

Drop your suggestions and who knows, maybe the "thick-skins" are reading.
Re: RETROSPECT FIFA U-17 & U-20 2010! by ojesymsym: 4:08pm On Dec 02, 2009
I beg to disagree sir, I dont think the under 20 team was that bad, if u recalled, they outplayed all the teams they met on their way, they just refused to score, that was the problem they had. They did not have an Emmanuel to rescue them. As for Siasia, I doubt if he could have done any differently considering the injuries before the competition and the fact that NFF (NFA) actually wanted him to fail.
Re: RETROSPECT FIFA U-17 & U-20 2010! by FBS: 5:47pm On Dec 02, 2009
First Sir, let me say thank you for your contribution.

Now, pray tell me, how can you as a team "outplay" your opponents yet you couldn't score on several occasions and you lost? Does that not mean that you were outplayed?
Who selected the "said" players that were meant to score?
Why was there no "Emmanuel" in the team?

Injuries ain't no excuse. . .There are no teams who had worse but still went further.

But sir even if we are the accept all that you have said, what proof have you concerning this:
ojesymsym:

As for Siasia, I doubt if he could have done any differently considering the injuries before the competition and the fact that NFF (NFA) actually wanted him to fail.
Re: RETROSPECT FIFA U-17 & U-20 2010! by FBS: 8:24am On Dec 07, 2009
Obiora Nwankwo Is Hot Cake. Agents Battle Over F/Eagles Star

Despite the seeming poor run of the Flying Eagles at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt, midfield ace, Obiora Nwankwo looks to be catching the attention with a flurry of agents and European club scouts on his heels.

The interest in the light-skinned player has even led to a face-off between two Nigerian licensed agents.
Nwankwo, whose registration is owned by ECO Football Club of Lagos, but featured for Nigerian Premier League side, Wikki Tourist, in the 2008/2009 season in Nigeria on loan, had started out Egypt 2009 in central defence for the Eagles before coach Samson Siasia moved him into midfield in the same game against Venezuela.

Complete Sports now have it on good authority that not a few clubs in Europe have taken more than a passing interest in his silky ball-playing skills, so much so that Italy based Nigerian agent, Sam Udeagbulam, has been accused of trying to poach the boy.

Peter Ejiasi, another Nigerian agent, who is based in Spain told Complete Sports:

“I’m the official agent of Obiora Nwankwo and I want to tell you that any other person that claims to represent the boy is a blatant liar.

“I can’t discuss about clubs interested in a player in the middle of a competition but what I have to say is that it is absolutely wrong for an agent that says he is licensed to start talking to a player that he does not have a contract with after that player had told him that he has an agent.

“That is what this Sam guy did and for me, doing such on the eve of an important match for the team is bad because you are going to distract the player.

“If he or any other agent for that matter, has something for the boy he can come to me and we can discuss, but the player should not be distracted with talk about interest from clubs until after the competition.”

Udeagbulam, who was said to have been introduced to the player by one of the coaches of the team, could not be reached for his own side of the story as he did not pick when Complete Sports placed a call to his mobile phone.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/2009/10/obiora-nwankwo-is-hot-cake-agents-battle-over-feagles-star/

--------

I remember telling one blind bat that he indeed started as a CB for the flying Eagles.
Anyways, the guy is good and should ultimately move to the SE.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Greatest Nigeria Starting 11 Of All Time? / Siasia And His Assistants / Motorsport venue in Senegal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.