Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,918 members, 7,945,967 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 10:21 AM

Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down (22015 Views)

Immigration To Canada- The Winners / Pitures Of Illegal Immigration To Europe. / Immigration To Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by MrCrackles(m): 10:29pm On Dec 07, 2009
Poster

You can settle down at the airport
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by Sauron1: 10:30pm On Dec 07, 2009
ideas78:

Hello House,

For all our members in the states either as permanent residents or US citizens.
Which state is the best to recommend for anyone desiring to relocate based on permanent residency as a Family
Your opinions will be highly appreciated.

Go to California.
All the other States apart from Florida, Nevada and some parts of NY are rubbish.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by SeanT21(f): 3:23pm On Dec 08, 2009
ubiaa5:

Abeg make una come minnesota na,ive been here for 6yrs n have met only a handfull of nigerians.Meanwhile i wan run b4 cold finally kill me grin grin.

My uncle lives in Minneapolis. Its so freaking cold over there.There are also a lot of Liberians.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by ubiaa5(f): 4:16pm On Dec 08, 2009
SeanT21:

My uncle lives in Minneapolis. Its so freaking cold over there.There are also a lot of Liberians.
u can say that again,i would say we have maybe 4 or5 mths of good weather in a yr. cry
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by SeanT21(f): 6:36pm On Dec 08, 2009
ubiaa5:

u can say that again,i would say we have maybe 4 or5 mths of good weather in a yr. cry

Cant live in a place like that. Down here it hardly snows. Its in December and so far no snowdrops. Thank God.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by mamagee3(f): 6:51pm On Dec 08, 2009
The best place to settle down is Dallas, Texas tongue
I'm telling you from Sources and my own idea
. tongue

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 10, 2009
chicago , is the best if i would go to U.S.A
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by Spader9(m): 8:24pm On Jan 13, 2010
Just be happy you're outta Nigeria.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by Pittbaby(f): 3:08am On Jan 22, 2010
Texas (Houston ), Georgia (Atlanta) or North Carolina (Charlotte) . Ok weather, cost of living average , black population ok (and educated for the most part) NY , Chicago , Maryland and Virginia are also good but pretty expensive. Would not advise it unless you have secured a good job in advance . You can work an interim job while building your career and still have an ok life in the first states i listed.

Most of all be realistic about your job search, US does not respect degrees or work experience from developing countries ( some exceptions) so be willing to make some compromises to build your experience level and if possible get another degree. Please don't be another visa lottery kid that wastes the opportunity by coming here and working menial jobs forever. You have a degree you can do better it just requires some sacrifice upfront

Good luck

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by tobidaflava(m): 10:01am On Jan 22, 2010
@The last poster, please come again. What do yo mean by Visa Lottery Kid . . . ?
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by Pittbaby(f): 11:50am On Jan 23, 2010
several people here that have won the visa lottery and totally forgotten that they have a university degree from back home . Busy working menial jobs. Too each his own , but i just think that you could do better . Nothing wrong with doing menial jobs for awhile , but there should be a long term plan why waste those 4 years.

Visa lottery kid is not meant in a demeaning manner , just anybody who has won the visa lottery .

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by mamagee3(f): 2:46am On Feb 02, 2010
Houston, Texas is the best place to settle down if you're coming new to the country.

2 Likes

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by shilling(f): 7:33pm On Feb 04, 2010
ubiaa5:

Abeg make una come minnesota na,ive been here for 6yrs n have met only a handfull of nigerians.Meanwhile i wan run b4 cold finally kill me grin grin.

I totally understand that, I'm in ND, a few hours away from Canada.

I'm wondering why it's really important to live in a city with a significant black population. I'm in ND, few blacks, haven't experienced racism., yet.

So, you could come to North Dakota. ND is one of the few states that haven't been hit bad by the recession, with estimates of about $1.2 billion budget surplus. It's freaking cold, but you'll live.

"In North Dakota, the Good Times Are Still Rolling"

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by lraahul8: 8:35am On Aug 16, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I am Rahul lal and I am writing here for a help and advice.

I want to settle in US, I am into human resources for last 7 years now. And I feel like living aboard.

Please advice me which city would be good to stay , earn and live. Please also let me know how should I go about it. Do i need a job in hand first or can i first shift and live there and then look for a job. Please advice me.

Thanks
Rahul
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by rafcrown(m): 2:38pm On Aug 23, 2014
A complete JJC to the USA,WHERE would you recommend in terms of employment,accommodation,hope of getting documents sorted and cost of living?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations / Traffic Alert: President Buhari To Visit Lagos Tuesday / Flood Sweeps Four-year-old Boy Away In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.