Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,336 members, 7,891,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 02:04 PM

Who Will Feed Us!! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Who Will Feed Us!! (858 Views)

The Top 3 Ways Nigeria Will Feed The World (Pictures attached) / How Many Bags Of Feed Will Feed 500 Broiler Chicks / Gov. Bello’s Omi Rice Mill Will Feed The Nation – Smart Adeyemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Will Feed Us!! by Nobody: 12:03am On Feb 04, 2017
*WHO WILL FEED US?*
(The Problem: Views From my backyard)

The Giants of Africa,most populous black Nation in the world, 56years of Independence, 80 million hectares of cultivable land and we can barely feed ourselves. I need not write about our obsession with oil and how it has lead to our current situation. However, how we choose to interprete/evaluate these series of not so fortunate events determine how well/fast we bounce back. Permit me to offer my own interpretation, Our economy has been brought down in the Box 18, a penalty kick awarded, who do we call on to take the winning shot? The world is watching, we need a win. If Agriculture is the answer, well there is a problem.
I am a 400lvl student of the department of Agricultural Administration, Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta(FUNAAB), after spending over 3 years in the same lecture halls,Laboratories,Practical fields with agriculture students there are a few changes I think we need to make if we are to tap the full potential of this our chosen path(or the path FUNAAB chose for us).
The bitter truth is the average agriculture student has a little case of inferiority complex, most likely due to the general perception that Agriculture is equal to farming and of course when you think of farming the first image that might come to your head is that of the poor old man with a muddy hoe hung on his shoulder in the last Nollywood movie you watched, "'LIKE SERIOUSLY' why waste 5 years of my life on that?".
The Problem comes in phases.
Phase 1 starts at the secondary school level where most science students circle around a list of about 5 courses they want to study.
1) Medicine
2) Engineering
3) Biochemistry
4) Microbiology
5) Computer science
Mostly because these courses are seen as difficult and a lot of respect is given to people who dare to study them, just telling people you picked one of these courses in jamb gives you a little sense of accomplishment.
Phase 2 sets in when you pick one of these courses but FUNAAB gives you an Agriculture course you have not even heard about.
Then Phase 3 you start to wonder,what is this course about? What can I do with it?.
You ask the wrong people and the answer they give you is most likely one of these two(or both).
1) As long as you have a certificate you can work in a bank
2) Just complete your 5 years, you will figure something out later, how many people work with their certificate these days?
So our Soil scientists, Seed technologists, Extension agents ,Animal physiologists and Agric Administrators all want to work in the bank or figure something else out later, *Who then will feed Nigeria?*
#SMK

......To be continued....

=========================
*FCM PUBLICITY TEAM*
=========================
lalasticlala
Re: Who Will Feed Us!! by bakila: 7:09am On Feb 04, 2017
ennyhola:
*WHO WILL FEED US?*

The bitter truth is the average agriculture student has a little case of inferiority complex, most likely due to the general perception that Agriculture is equal to farming and of course when you think of farming the first image that might come to your head is that of the poor old man with a muddy hoe hung on his shoulder in the last Nollywood movie you watched, "'LIKE SERIOUSLY' why waste 5 years of my life on that?".

So our Soil scientists, Seed technologists, Extension agents ,Animal physiologists and Agric Administrators all want to work in the bank or figure something else out later, *Who then will feed Nigeria?*
#SMK

lalasticlala
The persistence of the hoe holder. The persistence and professionalism of the students and graduate of Agric. The investment of entrepreneurs and the ability of citizens to demand for good governance that will ensure that the infrastructure is there for optimal harvest.
Eluwilussit should stop looking down at those in the Agric sector. Olayinkanmi and others in the agric produce sector should provide financing, since the bank are unwilling to lend.
Yes with Agriculture degree you can work anywhere, so also with law, medicine, engineering and theatre arts.
Even Lalasticlala read something like Agriculture.

1 Like

Re: Who Will Feed Us!! by Eluwilussit(m): 12:58am On Feb 05, 2017
bakila:

The persistence of the hoe holder. The persistence and professionalism of the students and graduate of Agric. The investment of entrepreneurs and the ability of citizens to demand for good governance that will ensure that the infrastructure is there for optimal harvest.
Eluwilussit should stop looking down at those in the Agric sector. Olayinkanmi and others in the agric produce sector should provide financing, since the bank are unwilling to lend.
Yes with Agriculture degree you can work anywhere, so also with law, medicine, engineering and theatre arts.
Even Lalasticlala read something like Agriculture.

Hey, I don't remember saying anything derogatory about agriculture. As a matter of fact, I am a big advocate of return to farm project. grin. How are you?
Re: Who Will Feed Us!! by bakila: 10:30am On Feb 05, 2017
Eluwilussit:

Hey, I don't remember saying anything derogatory about agriculture. As a matter of fact, I am a big advocate of return to farm project. grin. How are you?
OK, when you said "this dawa... and recession " I thought you mean someone will only do foodstuff out of hardtimes.
I am good, hope you are fine.

1 Like

Re: Who Will Feed Us!! by Eluwilussit(m): 5:16am On Feb 06, 2017
bakila:

OK, when you said "this dawa... and recession " I thought you mean someone will only do foodstuff out of hardtimes.
I am good, hope you are fine.

Nah, I love agriculture. Dad had farms and lots of cash crops and livestock. I am still thinking of the best way to reach u without getting my id out in the open. I want us to do business and build a political bridge. cool
Re: Who Will Feed Us!! by bakila: 10:33am On Feb 06, 2017
Eluwilussit:

Nah, I love agriculture. Dad had farms and lots of cash crops and livestock. I am still thinking of the best way to reach u without getting my id out in the open. I want us to do business and build a political bridge. cool
Since you have respect for agric, go and sin politically no more.
The Agricultural revolution of the present government is making farmers kings.
Re: Who Will Feed Us!! by Eluwilussit(m): 12:05pm On Feb 06, 2017
bakila:

Since you have respect for agric, go and sin politically no more.
The Agricultural revolution of the present government is making farmers kings.

I thought it was the last government that was credited with Agricultural Revolution? Bro, this government is daft. There's little to argue about this. The evidence is everywhere. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Will Feed Us!! by bakila: 12:33pm On Feb 06, 2017
Eluwilussit:

I thought it was the last government that was credited with Agricultural Revolution? Bro, this government is daft. There's little to argue about this. The evidence is everywhere. grin grin grin grin grin
Bros go ask the farmer who vote. The Foreign exchange consumers are the onesame that are not happy.
Re: Who Will Feed Us!! by Eluwilussit(m): 7:23pm On Feb 06, 2017
[quote author=bakila post=53467652]
Bros go ask the farmer who vote. The Foreign exchange consumers are the onesame that are not happy. [/quote

Please, who are the forex consumers and why are they not happy? I am not understanding

(1) (Reply)

Palm Oil Supply / Shelled Maize For Sale. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.