Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,366 members, 7,920,390 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 05:57 AM

Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK (4677 Views)

UAE cancels Three months tourist visa for Nigerian Passport Holders / Who Has Applied for international Passport After March 1 New Price? / The Official Cost Of Obtaining A Nigerian Passport And Other Related Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by Ola04: 11:47pm On Feb 05, 2017
Dear all,

I got married in November 2014 in Nigeria, but am only getting round to changing my name on my Nigerian passport now (Feb 2017). Both my husband and I live in the UK. I've gone to the Nigerian High Commission UK website to see how to change my name to my married name on my passport and seem to be going round in circles! I've been directed to https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/passport/changeDetails, but when trying to select the Processing Country, it only gives you the option of Nigeria. I want to process the application here in UK, but can't see how to do this.

When I could not get round this, I tried applying for a new passport, but that is now asking me for $106. According to http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/pdf/changeMarriage.pdf and http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/pdf/epptchonamebymarriagewomenonly.pdf, it should only cost a maximum of £40 for a woman to change to her married name.

If you are/know of any woman who recently (from 2016 or so) changed her surname on her Nigerian passport from the UK, please advise how you did this and how much it cost.

Thank you and God bless you!
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by Flexherbal(m): 11:59pm On Feb 05, 2017
Nairaland is a home of solutions.
You will get useful comments, soon.
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by Ola04: 12:43pm On Feb 07, 2017
Flexherbal:
Nairaland is a home of solutions.
You will get useful comments, soon.
I hope so bros/sis, because I need to get this done right now.

Thanks.
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by travelpoint: 1:14pm On Feb 07, 2017
Ola04:

I hope so bros/sis, because I need to get this done right now.

Thanks.
To my knowledge, you can only do it in Abuja
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by travelpoint: 1:15pm On Feb 07, 2017
Ola04:
Dear all,

I got married in November 2014 in Nigeria, but am only getting round to changing my name on my Nigerian passport now (Feb 2017). Both my husband and I live in the UK. I've gone to the Nigerian High Commission UK website to see how to change my name to my married name on my passport and seem to be going round in circles! I've been directed to https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/passport/changeDetails, but when trying to select the Processing Country, it only gives you the option of Nigeria. I want to process the application here in UK, but can't see how to do this.

When I could not get round this, I tried applying for a new passport, but that is now asking me for $106. According to http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/pdf/changeMarriage.pdf and http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/pdf/epptchonamebymarriagewomenonly.pdf, it should only cost a maximum of £40 for a woman to change to her married name.

If you are/know of any woman who recently (from 2016 or so) changed her surname on her Nigerian passport from the UK, please advise how you did this and how much it cost.

To my knowledge, you can only do it in Abuja
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by acubbed: 4:36pm On Oct 18, 2018
Dear Ola04

please did you get this issue resolved? what did you do.
I'm on the exact same situation and cant seem to get any clear guidance from NHC.
Can you please let me know what you finally did to resolve this.
they said I need to contact Nigerian immigration service but cant find the procedure for this.
Like you, it seems the only option is to make a totally new application to Nigeria and pay the full price.
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by semac00(m): 6:16pm On Oct 19, 2018
Ola04:
Dear all,

Ok let me assist you here. This is something I did sometime last year for a friend in Ukraine. Please I will only give you the information on how to do it and it’s very possible from any country with the Nigerian embassy there.
First step you need some documents ready, husbands copy of international passport, your previous international passport and marriage certificate. Go to the Nigerian embassy in the country you want to apply for and tell them you want to apply for a new passport but will like to change your surname due to marriage. Show them all the documents then they will ask you to write an application for change of name address it to the director general Nigeria immigration service Abuja. Write the application and state the reason why you like to change your surname.
The embassy should guide you on how you will fill the online application, pay the necessary fees for new passport.
Now where the work begins is that from the embassy in the country you are submitting the application they will scan the application, copy of your husbands international passport and the marriage certificate. Marriage certificates must be translated to English if it’s not in English.
In immigration office in Abuja every country with the Nigerian embassy has two people assigned to receive emails and calls coming from those countries and process the information they got from the email and calls but they reluctantly attend to those emails and it may take months before you get any response or you might not even get a response at all cos the documents are not complete.
Step 2
Find a relative in Nigeria best in Abuja after the email has been sent to the immigration headquarters Abuja. The friend of relative will help you go to the immigration office. The immigration office is along airport road sauka Abuja.
When the person gets there he or she should ask the security at the gate to direct him or her to Glass house that’s what it is popularly called there. Glass house is where the officers in charge of different countries embassy work and they also process passports, National identification card and so on. When the person gets there he should ask that he wants to speak to the person in charge of all call and emails that comes from mention the name of the country and they will direct him or her.
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by semac00(m): 6:30pm On Oct 19, 2018
Finally when he or she meets with the person in charge of emails and calls, he will be willing to help but will tell you to be appreciative after it’s done.
Now he will go to the system and print all Your information sent through the email and bring them to show you they got they email.
Concluding documents that will be demanded for at the immigration that your representative will need to provide to them are court affidavit for change of name and news paper publication to notify the public in Nigeria of your intentions to change your name when these documents are submitted the officer in charge will get an approval from the DG and will inform your friend in Abuja that it’s done you can go back to the embassy to get the passport printed and wholla your surname is changed. But don’t forget ooohh you must tip the person in Abuja getting the approval ooohh if not you case is long thing.
I hope this helps I have done it and it worked
Good luck

PLEASE AND PLEASE I BEG YOU NO ONE SHOULD CALL MY NUMBER TO ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS. THATS ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED AND I AM ON ROAMING NOW IF YOU CALL ME THEY CHARGE ME 100 NAIRA PER MIN FOR RECEIVING CALLS MY NUMBER IS HERE FOR OTHERE BUSINESS PLEASE DONT CALL ME. IF YOU CALL AND ITS ABOUT HOW TO CHANGE NAME I WILL HANG UP AND DONT BE ANGRY IF I DO THAT

2 Likes

Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by kunzzy4me(m): 8:16pm On Oct 19, 2018
Thsts nice of you
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by DeeMoks: 3:26pm On Jan 08, 2019
Hi pls can any one advise how they changed their name in the UK? Please step by step will be appreciated.
Re: Change Of Name In Nigerian Passport After Marriage From UK by Flowercrescent: 6:31pm On Feb 24, 2019
Please how was the issue resolved, help please

(1) (Reply)

Top-10 Cheapest Nigerian Cities To Live / My Electricity Bill In UK VS Canada / First Time Visitor To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.