Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:48 AM

Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition (760 Views)

Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Beaf: 6:11pm On Dec 04, 2009
[size=14pt]Nuclear power : IAEA okays Nigeria’s ambition[/size]
National News Dec 4, 2009

By Oscarline Onwuemenyi

ABUJA—The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said yesterday that it is fully in support of the country’s ambitions to build a nuclear power plant to meet its growing energy needs.

The position of the agency was conveyed by the representative of the Director-General of IAEA, Dr. Vincent Nkong-Njock, who spoke at the presentation of the Strategic Plan for the Implementation of the National Nuclear Power Programme, in Abuja .

According to him, the implementation of a complex programme such as a nuclear power project, over a long time scale, and requiring investment of huge national resources in time, finance and human resources, is a major national undertaking requiring careful planning and preparation, thus the development of the National Strategic Plan.

Nkong-Njock noted that, “The development of an appropriate infrastructure to sustain the introduction of nuclear power is an issue of primal importance and should be painstakingly developed, exercising the necessary caution.

“This entails the provision of the necessary resources including human, financial and logistic, to create the appropriate technological, economic and social conditions that will adequately support the establishment of sustainable national infrastructure able to absorb a nuclear power plant.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/12/04/nuclear-power-iaea-okays-nigerias-ambition/
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Beaf: 6:13pm On Dec 04, 2009
Where will this thing be built? . . .Nuclear plants generally require a plentiful water supply. Lokoja?
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Parohfrey(f): 6:20pm On Dec 04, 2009
Good move government.
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Singular: 6:58pm On Dec 04, 2009
Beaf:

Where will this thing be built? . . .Nuclear plants generally require a plentiful water supply. Lokoja?

Does Iran have plentiful water supply?
Comot for my domot.
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by nuesaweso(f): 7:01pm On Dec 04, 2009
angry
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Beaf: 7:07pm On Dec 04, 2009
Singular:

Does Iran have plentiful water supply?
Comot for my domot.

Which yeye domot? Two questions will finish you off.

[list]
[li]How do you convert the nuclear energy to electricity? And[/li]
[li]How do you cool the plant down?[/li]
[/list]

The answer to the first is by powering steam turbines. Steam is water.
The second is, they are usually cooled directly by [b]water [/b]and rarely (certainly not for Nigeria) by liquid metal or molten salt.
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Beaf: 7:12pm On Dec 04, 2009
nues aweso:

Question is Do we really need Nuclear power now?

I'll say NO! Why?

Countries go into Nuclear Power to ensure Diversity of Energy and not Reliability.

I think we need to achieve reliability before we start thinking of diversity!

Not really, eg France gets almost 80% of its electricity from nuclear power.
I actually think we need something as serious as that, because if we know that the thing is capable of ending the place, we will sit up and begin to approach, not only nuclear, but all other forms of technology with seriousness. That, alongside constant power supply will actually kickstart development.
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by nuesaweso(f): 7:21pm On Dec 04, 2009
angry
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Singular: 11:26pm On Dec 04, 2009
Beaf:

Which yeye domot? Two questions will finish you off.

[list]
[li]How do you convert the nuclear energy to electricity? And[/li]
[li]How do you cool the plant down?[/li]
[/list]

The answer to the first is by powering steam turbines. Steam is water.
The second is, they are usually cooled directly by [b]water [/b]and rarely (certainly not for Nigeria) by liquid metal or molten salt.

I asked you a question you answer me with question. Why question my question when you can answer my question?
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Beaf: 11:35pm On Dec 04, 2009
Singular:

I asked you a question you answer me with question. Why question my question when you can answer my question?

Thats the hallmark of a Nigerian. grin
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Onlytruth(m): 11:46pm On Dec 04, 2009
Definitely not in my backyard! Una never finish manage simple oil refinery. na nuclear station una want. I no wan die for nuclear accident. naija and nuclear station, sighs and logs off!
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Onlytruth(m): 11:51pm On Dec 04, 2009
My brother beaf abeg no vex!
If only someone can show me one functioning Nigerian technology, I may be convinced. The last satellite the chinese launched for us simply got lost in space! All we do is plan, plan and more plan. No action. And if anyone tries to do something, government will stifle him/her. That's how all our best technologists are based overseas. sad
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by blackmann(m): 12:42am On Dec 05, 2009
This one dat they are talking abt nuclear power nd nuclear plants, i hope they will have a good way of disposing their waste cos with the situation of naija where most things dnt work, i wnt be surprised if someone embezzles the funds for the waste disposal. nuclear waste is not something one shld play with, cos if it starts seeping into ground water, it could be catastrophic
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by becomrich15: 12:58am On Dec 05, 2009
who ever Dr. Vincent Nkong-Njock is, most be very ignorant of Nigeria and its politics. The world should expect atomic bomb from this. watch as Talaban take over the unit. Another sept 11 in the making.

Nigeria does not have a sincere motive toward nuclear energy. It is my country and I know what I am saying. The nuclear energy is just to continue injustice. Look it would be sited in the north and converted to Atomic bomb.

watch and see. This is the reason, we want it.

We can generate cheap form of energy from other means. And they cancel them. what do you think. we would use it for. We have talaban looking people in Nigeria. They would teach the west a lesson they would regret in thier life.

Nigeria is not a place safe to have nuclear form of energy.

By the time nigeria bomb up one of two things, then you people would know I am speaking the truth. May be when half of New york is gone. Then I would be the messiah.
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Beaf: 1:03am On Dec 05, 2009
^
Do you think it is knockout that kids use at xmas time? Wash your face, you're talking nuclear weapon here, you think anybody will be so foolish to drop a nuclear weapon anywhere close to where they live?

. . .Bomb new York? shocked This is beginning to sound like a Nollywood movie were you can go to jankara/okija to acquire powers and start throwing jazz by hand. Becomerich, Nuclear weapon no be jazz o!

Think of another story jare!
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by CyberG: 4:04am On Dec 05, 2009
becomrich,:

who ever Dr. Vincent Nkong-Njock is, most be very ignorant of Nigeria and its politics. The world should expect atomic bomb from this. watch as Talaban take over the unit. Another sept 11 in the making.

Nigeria does not have a sincere motive toward nuclear energy. It is my country and I know what I am saying. The nuclear energy is just to continue injustice. Look it would be sited in the north and converted to Atomic bomb.

watch and see. This is the reason, we want it.

We can generate cheap form of energy from other means. And they cancel them. what do you think. we would use it for. We have talaban looking people in Nigeria. They would teach the west a lesson they would regret in thier life.

Nigeria is not a place safe to have nuclear form of energy.

By the time nigeria bomb up one of two things, then you people would know I am speaking the truth. May be when half of New york is gone. Then I would be the messiah.

LOL. . .Alawada Comedy!! Where are the relevant satellite maps??
Re: Nuclear Power : IAEA Okays Nigeria’s Ambition by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 05, 2009
With the abundance of other sources of generating electricity that this country is blessed with,why settle for nuclear source, Or is nigeria intending to build an atomic bomb.?

(1) (Reply)

Yar’adua’s Daughters, In-laws Gather In Jeddah, As His Health Worsens / Fiscal Commission Meets To Determine Jonathan’s Salary / Like Him Or Not, Obj Is A Great Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.