Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,678 members, 7,878,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 10:43 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2022085 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
Winter last year wink

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iamsheye(m): 3:56pm On Aug 28, 2017

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ekpekus:
Winter last year wink
The bow.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 4:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
Anyone needs naira?? I need can$. Pm pls
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Elixir123: 4:24pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ekpekus:
Winter last year wink
Omg,nice view plus snowy roads! @maziude nice shots and the prices of those packaged food looks affordable.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ltee: 4:25pm On Aug 28, 2017
Abby2017:
Hi,

Also a QS.

Congrats @ bolded. What does the assessment for the CEC status entail? Did being MNIQS, PMP & having foreign experience contribute to your transition?

It looks more like the experience was the main criteria even though I am not quite certain. It reinforces the fact that your local experience still matters just package it well.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 4:26pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ekpekus:
Winter last year wink

Nice photo, is that a frozen river/lake in the background of that tower? shocked

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kingspaco: 4:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, I also don't have a background in construction like you do but from what you seem to have found out in your research, you're certainly on the right path! Might I suggest you reach out to your family and friends already here to put you in touch with any one in Canada in their network who has the same background as you do to share their experience with you. You can also search through LinkedIn for Nigerians working in that industry here in Canada to request for tips on how to integrate professionally. That was how I reached out to some people prior to my landing and their insight helped a lot. All the best ahead.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'll do as you suggest
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 4:40pm On Aug 28, 2017
The first one is Pearson airport....
The second one is the view from the 360 restaurant CN Tower, downtown Toronto. ( I think the Blue Jays were playing on that day)
#summer 2016 #touristbehaviour lol

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:48pm On Aug 28, 2017
Oyamade:

Nice photo, is that a frozen river/lake in the background of that tower? shocked
that is a frozen river...bow river.
The pic below is a frozen lake from one of my trip to the canadian rockies.

frozen lake are unique in saskatchewan, manitoba and other territories because new short cut routes are created..the lenght of your journey by road could be reduced by an hour(s).

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 4:48pm On Aug 28, 2017
Oyamade:

That's Olympic park in downtown Calgary.. not a river
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Abby2017: 4:56pm On Aug 28, 2017
Okay. Thanks.
I sent you a PM
ltee:

It looks more like the experience was the main criteria even though I am not quite certain. It reinforces the fact that your local experience still matters just package it well.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
Driving in a snow fall...before roads are cleared. Sometimes the snow storm could be so severe (a white out condition) and you wont see the car some meters in front of you. Roads can also be very slippery during winter, especially when there are lots of black ice, so some wits and skills may be required.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 5:46pm On Aug 28, 2017
salford1:
Driving in a snow fall...before roads are cleared. Sometimes the snow storm could be so severe (a white out condition) and you wont see the car some meters in front of you. Roads can also be very slippery during winter, especially when there are lots of black ice, so some wits and skills may be required.

A friend of mine in Winnipeg had a fatal accident driving during winter. The black ice spun her car on to the train tracks. She was stapled from the neck down to her waist. Advice on winter tyres and driving with caution, cannot be over emphasized. But not to scare anyone though lol. Funny enough I passed my driving test on a snow day grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
The rockies in summer.. Lovely.

The lady wearing the blue jacket is a tourist...The weather was very hot, yet she had a jacket on.

It's going to be hot today. 33c forecasted.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
Canadianfly:

A friend of mine in Winnipeg had a fatal accident driving during winter. The black ice spun her car on to the train tracks. She was stapled from the neck down to her waist. Advice on winter tyres and driving with caution, cannot be over emphasized. But not to scare anyone though lol. Funny enough I passed my driving test on a snow day grin
Alot of people avoid raking road test in winter...the cars sometimes have a mond of their own during that season grin. You get mind o.

Hope she had a good recovery. I hate accidents in Canada...the accidents here are usually serious. Lots of t-boning do occur cos people miss the yield signs or misinterpret the right of way rules..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 6:04pm On Aug 28, 2017
[quote author=salford1 post=59884834]

Haha..i once threw a fish into the microwave, i voluntarily offered an apology cos the smell was very strong.

Confess is it oporopo spiced with iru? Confess o. grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
[quote author=Ballerz post=59909959][/quote]
grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 6:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
salford1:

Alot of people avoid raking road test in winter...the cars sometimes have a mond of their own during that season grin. You get mind o.

Lol! Yes they have a mind of their own, but that's the trick. The instructor will excuse any mistakes as the car's fault due to weather conditions grin
However, I don't advise anyone who hasn't driven in harsh North America conditions before to try this oh. No go talk say Canadianfly advised we drive test on a snow day and run into somebody cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
Canadianfly:

Lol! Yes they have a mind of their own, but that's the trick. The instructor will excuse any mistakes as the car's fault due to weather conditions grin
However, I don't advise anyone who hasn't driven in harsh North America conditions before to try this oh. No go talk say Canadianfly advised we drive test on a snow day and run into somebody cheesy

grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:18pm On Aug 28, 2017

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2017
Lunch time in Fort qu' appele ... saskatchewan.
Houston Pizza restaurant.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 8:56pm On Aug 28, 2017
It seems from this pic that only aged people patronise this pizza house grin

salford1:
Lunch time in Fort qu' appele ... saskatchewan.
Houston Pizza restaurant.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Abby2017: 10:42pm On Aug 28, 2017
Read the first 5 pages of this thread. Link below

https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Maxy001:
Goodday house, am interested in travelling to Canada with my wife and I need advice on how to go about it.i would appreciate the best package to getting a visa and what type of visa I should go for.
I have to be truthful here.I don't plan coming back to Nigeria and wants to settle and start my family in Canada.We are less than a year couple and seeking the best and most reliable option in living in canada.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 12:15am On Aug 29, 2017
@ekpekus... Was referring to the horizontal white strip behind the tower, @salford said its The Bow river. The Olympic park is the white square in the SE of the photo right?

So @salford, tell me something, do people drive across frozen lakes for the sake of short cuts!!!?? shocked

I have seen documentaries of fatal accidents on black ice, and towing services make tons of bucks During white outs grin

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:40am On Aug 29, 2017
Oyamade:
@ekpekus... Was referring to the horizontal white strip behind the tower, @salford said its The Bow river. The Olympic park is the white square in the SE of the photo right?

So @salford, tell me something, do people drive across frozen lakes for the sake of short cuts!!!?? shocked

I have seen documentaries of fatal accidents on black ice, and towing services make tons of bucks During white outs grin

Driving on ice is very common in Saskatchewan. Students especially like driving using the shortcuts to save money on gas and reduce travel time cos sask is huge and long distance travel is very boring. Ice fishing is common too. People drill hole in the ice to pass the fishing line through.

Yes...towing services make alot of money cos some cars fall into ditches....especially if its an unfamiliar terrain.

toyogirl:
It seems from this pic that only aged people patronise this pizza house grin

Lol. In my opinion, in small towns across sask..most of the population are retirees and a few younger white population. For some reasons..you would also find lots of philipinos working in the food/restaurant industry and a few indians who usually owns the gas stations and work in stores. If you see a black person, he/she is likely working in a government office somewhere in town, or the person is likely a Nigerian medical doctor. There are few sudanese found around small town too.

Pic 1: Sask gov recommendations
Pic 2: A 42-kilometre ice road across Wollaston Lake.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:52am On Aug 29, 2017
Destination, Yorkton. Saskatchewan. Pic is downtown Yorkton. The city mall, stores, restaurant, hotels e.t.c are all located in this area.
Yorkton with a population of 18,000 is the 4th largest city in Saskatchewan. A settlement in Alberta with that kind of population will not be given a city status..
Different province, different rules.

Pic 2. Looking down from the hotel window. This hotel is likely one of the tallest buildings in town. Probably one of the tallest buildings in the city.

Pic 3..one lovely thing about Canada is that no matter how small a town or city is, they always have events lined up for the summer...no dulling at all.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 2:38am On Aug 29, 2017
salford1:

Driving on ice is very common in Saskatchewan. Students especially like driving using the shortcuts to save money on gas and reduce travel time cos sask is huge and long distance travel is very boring. Ice fishing is common too. People drill hole in the ice to pass the fishing line through.

Yes...towing services make alot of money cos some cars fall into ditches....especially if its an unfamiliar terrain.

Lol. In my opinion, in small towns across sask..most of the population are retirees and a few younger white population. For some reasons..you would also find lots of philipinos working in the food/restaurant industry and a few indians who usually owns the gas stations and work in stores. If you see a black person, he/she is likely working in a government office somewhere in town, or the person is likely a Nigerian medical doctor. There are few sudanese found around small town too.

Pic 1: Sask gov recommendations
Pic 2: A 42-kilometre ice road across Wollaston Lake.

Heavy trucks across lakes!!!, I can bet they are more reliable than most Nigerian roads... won't mind getting a snow mobile...

42km grin... that's like driving 3rd mainland bridge X 4 grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nwandy218: 7:02am On Aug 29, 2017
Thanks Mazi. I ll PM u. I join @toyogirl to prophesy,
blessings fall on U. Pls keep the pix coming.
maziude:

Hello boss,
I have been here for just a month though.

So, I might not be entirely correct.

It all depends on your budget...
For cheap rent, it is usually in the Quebec side (Gatineau area, hull etc) with services and quite close to downtown. At the moment I stay in Orleans, the rent there aint bad though.

For transport: Buses get to almost everywhere.

In terms of security, well I have heard from some friends that some part especially the byward areas, are bit rough.
But, then it depends on your routine.

For french locals, I think there is a good mix of them in Ottawa, then more in Gatineau. So, you are covered.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mazi

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 8:46am On Aug 29, 2017
careerwoman:

smiley
Wow!!! God bless you for taking out the time to write this post. Your opinions are very insightful. I am a final year medical student (will be graduating this year hopefully.. ASUU strike be trying to hold me back but God is in control). I was going to go through the Masters route but based on your post, I may have to reconsider and probably take the UK plab route after NYSC. PLAB is way faster and more affordable than USMLE based on the information I gathered from my seniors. I know a host of medical doctors from my school who had written and passed PLAB within their NYSC year.
I actually thought Masters route was the best pathway. Well, I guess I was wrong.. Thank you for opening my eyes to this..
this is based on Canada immigration.
Babe to pass plab is one thing.. To get a Damn job or residency is another. Same thing is usmle. My colleague wrote primaries, plab, usmle and got residency in the USA first before d UK or naija. So I say it's God grace. It's not on cap fits all

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.