Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,647 members, 7,921,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 02:04 AM

Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 - Sports (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 (20629 Views)

Poll: Who takes the cake?

Nigeria: 60% (85 votes)
Benin: 24% (34 votes)
Draw: 15% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Ghana: Friendly (1 - 0) - Live / Nigeria Vs Uruguay - Confederations Cup: (1 - 2) On 20th June 2013 / First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by Iyineda(m): 7:34pm On Jan 16, 2010
9jafreak:

[size=13pt]MATCH ANALYSIS:

Bunch of Headless Super Chickens running here and there without direction & creative purpose[/size]

Best. Post. On. This. Thread.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by kvolander: 7:45pm On Jan 16, 2010
I quite understand how you guys feel about the nigerian match. But You guys need to understand that football has come of age and thus, no country should be taken for granted. Remember that the 16 countries participating in this nations cup are the best so far as far as africa is concerned.

There's no automatic rule that states that Nigeria must win all their underdogs.

For the coach, I don't think Amodu is good enough to handle the super eagles. As long as a Nigeria coach is in charge, I tell u that there'll always be people (NFF members and even government) influence in selection of players but this would have been different if it was a foreign coach.

Anyway guys, I believe we'll learn from whatever becomes of us in this nations cup knowing well that it'll help us our improvement towards world cup preparation.

Oya, e don do, make we dey watch Everton 2 vs Mancity 0, that match sweet no be small. It's also full of stars e.g. Robinho, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Saha, e.t.c.
Cheers guys
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by Iyineda(m): 7:52pm On Jan 16, 2010
kvolander:

I quite understand how you guys feel about the nigerian match. But You guys need to understand that football has come of age and thus, no country should be taken for granted.

This match wasn't annoying because Nigeria failed to score more than 1 goal against the Squirrels. No. It's the tactical. . . wait, the problem is the absence of anything remotely close to a game plan.

Nigeria sucked. Amodu sucked. And I cannot get over it. 90 minutes of my life. Gone to oblivion.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by biozy(m): 8:17pm On Jan 16, 2010
i await the eagles to disgrace Naija at the world cup in SA! bunch of wingless fowls!
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by An0nimus: 8:29pm On Jan 16, 2010
Any update on the Egypt encounter?
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by nas00(m): 8:30pm On Jan 16, 2010
Iyineda:

My player ratings of this sh*tty match:

- Enyeama: 5

- Yusuf: 4.5

- Yobo: 5.5

- Shittu: 7

- Echiejile: 4.5

- Etuhu: 5

- Mikel: 5

- Uche: 4.5

- Obasi: 3.5 (biggest disappointment)

- Osaze: 5.5

- Yakubu: 5 (only thanks to the goal)
---------------------------------------------
- Apam: 5

- Nsofor: 4

- AMODU: [size=14pt]1.5[/size]

I'm so pissed to leave any relevant comment as of now. Words fail me. . . Super Eagles my foot.

My guy, ur rating of Ogbuke shows u don't understand d game of football. Otherwise, u don't need Sir Fergie to come tell u Obasi was one of the few who made sense in d match.
The point is obasi had no well-positioned striker to link with. Did u see d thru pass he gave nsofor? Did u see the sense behind it, or u think he just threw d pass waitng on chance?     Did u see d set pieces he played with Mikel (oloshi)? If not because Obi wasn't resourceful enuff.

Anyway, i don't blame u much. When very few good players are put in d midst of  a bunch of erratic fballers, some ppl would always hav difficulty identifying the valuable ones .
, btw, given the chance, Obasi could be an awesome striker.

Players i would rate high in d Benin match:
1. Danny Shittu (notice how many goal bound shots he blocked with his own body?  Now, dat's a defender)
2. Yusuf
3. Apam
4. Echiejile
5. Obasi
6. Osaze
7. Yakubu

These 'n others could hav done better, though.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by An0nimus: 8:41pm On Jan 16, 2010
@MUNEER
Thank God for mobile internet.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by semid4lyfe(m): 8:43pm On Jan 16, 2010
Danny Shittu was undoubtedly the man of the match on our side. That guy plays with his heart anytime anyday.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by oluclem(m): 8:52pm On Jan 16, 2010
An0nimus:

Any update on the Egypt encounter?

Egpyt leading by a lone goal
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by lastpage: 8:56pm On Jan 16, 2010
For me too, Danny Shittu stood tall.
@kivolander
For the coach, I don't think Amodu is good enough to handle the super eagles. As long as a Nigeria coach is in charge, I tell u that there'll always be people (NFF members and even government) influence in selection of players but this would have been different if it was a foreign coach.
Now, l am almost amazed when guys come-up and start yawning about a foreign coach!
I know some people still suffer from color complex and slavery mentality

but P-L-E-A-S-E wasn Berti Voghts (Nigerians coach to the last ACN competition) from Ibadan or Kaduna or Onitsha?

How foreign can a foreign coach be, if That German was not one?
And tell me what happened when he was our coach, yes, ell me the wonders that happened?

Point is, our system is bad, corruption, mis-management and lack of foresight is what is killing our game.

Maybe you guys should contribute money and employ Guss Hiddink or Arsene Wenger or even Sir Alex and lets see what happens, instead of all this whinning about foreign coach

We need to start from the grassroots and get those leeches in the glass house out of there, fast.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by semid4lyfe(m): 9:29pm On Jan 16, 2010
All these people wey no sabi ball sef. Me I dey dance dey celebrate jare. I dey dedicate this song to all of una wey dey dissapointed and wan die becos we won today. Make all of una go jump inside lagoon jare. Super Eagles carry Go jare! Una never see anything yet. . . . E go do una like film trick when we win the cup. Make I continue my song and dancing jare.

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDtCvClh4yM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="[/flash]
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by ndigbo: 9:32pm On Jan 16, 2010
can som1 plz tell me, if the ref had not awarded the PEN those Super chickens wouldn't have scored.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by An0nimus: 9:55pm On Jan 16, 2010
@Ndigbo
we for stil score. . .after fulltime. grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by 9jafreak: 9:55pm On Jan 16, 2010
Iyineda:

This match wasn't annoying because Nigeria failed to score more than 1 goal against the Squirrels. No. It's the tactical. . . wait, the problem is the absence of anything remotely close to a game plan.

Nigeria sucked. Amodu sucked. And I cannot get over it. 90 minutes of my life. Gone to oblivion.

Dude, I don't know who you are but nothing more exciting than reading from a Nigerian who is not lost in the maze of patriotism.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by mamagee3(f): 10:02pm On Jan 16, 2010
Nigeria need a bottle of wine for winning this one. grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by IVYNerd: 10:11pm On Jan 16, 2010
Surprisingly, Nigerians are expecting flawless football from Amodu and his pensioners "aka super eagles." In this day and age, we still have grand pa Kanu playing for the national team, and we expect him to perform wonders. I suppose Nigerians are drinking a lot of coolaid nowadays. Personally, i don't waste my time watching pensioners play soccer, let alone watch Amodu's inept skills. I have decided to ignore the super eagles until Amodu is fired. I refuse to be bamboozle or hoodwink by our incompetent NFF and horrible Super Chicken.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by teeluv(m): 10:27pm On Jan 16, 2010
when Daddy Kanu is playing why wont Grandpa Okocha say he wants to come back and play.
i think i have an idea; why dont we call Sunday Oliseh, Finidi George, Garuba Lawal, and Peter Rufai to come and keep. we should also not forget to call Uncle Rasheed Yekini to come and Strike for us.

i wonder if this is what we are going to showcase in the world-cup. i wonder hw we qualified.

aaaaahhhhhhhh NIGERIA. na only god fit save us.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by rasputinn(m): 10:45pm On Jan 16, 2010
Not impressed
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by Infomatrix: 11:09pm On Jan 16, 2010
Wat a relief, opeeee ooooooohhhh! make we manage am like dat.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by Daboncrush(m): 11:38pm On Jan 16, 2010
At least better than nothing.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by deb(m): 11:45pm On Jan 16, 2010
Now, l am almost amazed when guys come-up and start yawning about a foreign coach!
I know some people still suffer from color complex and slavery mentality

but P-L-E-A-S-E wasn Berti Voghts (Nigerians coach to the last ACN competition) from Ibadan or Kaduna or Onitsha?

How foreign can a foreign coach be, if That German was not one?
And tell me what happened when he was our coach, yes, ell me the wonders that happened?

Point is, our system is bad, corruption, mis-management and lack of foresight is what is killing our game.

Guy let me tell you one fact, calling for oyinbo coach is not about any color complex, I even think black is more beautiful, or any slavery mentality.
What we simply clamour for is the best to handle Nigerian team be it white or black and that best is definitely not Amodu. You could sense that Amodu is dull
merely by listening to his various responses to press interviews and the rest.

And don't tell me that Berti Vogt is not good , I believe we were not just patient enough for the man because under him even though we were yet to start winning
lots of matches, I observed that Eagles were beginning to play like a team. If you doubt me go and get the tape of all our eagles matches under him.
Berti had a development plan that we were not patient enough for him to achieve. I personally had began to see the changes before we sacked him just because
he lost a match to Ghana at the quarter finals. Now, we are all complaining about eagles not playuing as a team meanwhile that was what Berti was trying to achieve
in his time but Nigerians love short-term results without looking at the big picture. That is why we hear some people call Amodu a great coach just because he was winning matches
without pattern, tactics and without any performance worth reckoning with. There's only a little that luck will do for you. My own opinion based on my observation
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by Iyineda(m): 11:47pm On Jan 16, 2010
nas 00:

My guy, your rating of Ogbuke shows u don't understand d game of football

I stopped taking you seriously after reading that, nas 00.

So what now? You're going to teach me how to appreciate a game of football? You probably think I'm one of those who only follow the games because of a bandwagon mentality. Dude, I've played football at club level in France for several years. Obasi sucked in this match. Period.

You gave me some examples where he didn't do too bad, but those were overshadowed by the relentless back passing attitude of his in the 2nd half. He stopped pressing forward after the Yak converted the penalty. He did like most players, but I was expecting much more from him given his display against Egypt.

He is one of the few on our current squad (with Osaze and Mikel) that I have high regard for. So, yeah, he disappointed me the most. My judgement wasn't hasty. That's how I still feel.
I just want Amodu to change his tactics and try a 4-4-2 formation because it's like the 4-3-3 burns our cards in attack and breaches our midfield.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by JNdupu: 2:36am On Jan 17, 2010
I agree with most of your ratings but I also agree Obasi deserves slightly higher rating even though I was disappointed as well  (I introduced my young son to the joys and pain of watching the SE today and the first thing he asked was "Oya, Dad, this Super Eagle sef, who is the best player?".  I said "watch out for Obasi or Osaze"wink.

And why so high for Uche?  He was anonymous and deserves a zero rating.  When the ball breaks forward in the attack, he was nowhere to be found.  He should be dropped immediately.

Yusuf is still a liability defensively but I agree his performance improved because his contribution going forward but it is just a shame Osaze (he must be carrying an injury because he faded out quickly today) and Obasi did not build enough with the additional width that created.

Amodu is trying to shoehorn as many big names as possible into the team which is why he is playing too many defensive midfielders.  Unfortunately both of them are playing woefully.  Etuhu offers nothing creatively and he is easily bypassed by skillful opponents while Mikel is really too negative and lackadaisical for positive African football.  It transmits across the whole team and is easily regarded as laziness, I mean, why bother running into good positions when the main ball distributor has to shake yansh before thinking of what to do with the ball?

I can't believe the man has taken these players through several qualification rounds, competitions, friendlies and training and still does not know his best team.  They are playing like strangers.

Iyineda:
So what now? You're going to teach me how to appreciate a game of football? You probably think I'm one of those who only follow the games because of a bandwagon mentality. Dude, I've played football at club level in France for several years. Obasi sucked in this match. Period.

You gave me some examples where he didn't do too bad, but those were overshadowed by the relentless back passing attitude of his in the 2nd half. He stopped pressing forward after the Yak converted the penalty. He did like most players, but I was expecting much more from him given his display against Egypt.

He is one of the few on our current squad (with Osaze and Mikel) that I have high regard for. So, yeah, he disappointed me the most. My judgement wasn't hasty. That's how I still feel.
I just want Amodu to change his tactics and try a 4-4-2 formation because it's like the 4-3-3 burns our cards in attack and breaches our midfield.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by glassman: 5:21am On Jan 17, 2010
ds SE are rily annoying. dey r mor of celebrities dan futbal playas
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by afrodoc(m): 6:45am On Jan 17, 2010
D guy dt said Berti Vogts had a development plan must b joking! Berti was a legendary fullback BUT as a coach his results hv bin ambiguous.his only success was in 96 when he had an xperienced German team.2 reasons 4 dat 1)der Mannschaft r capable of winning at ANY tournament no mata d quality of their players and coach. 2)other major nations lyk France,Holland,Italy were building a new team at dt tym. Wit Scotland and Nigeria Berti was WOEFUL!
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by Obinoscopy(m): 8:17am On Jan 17, 2010
@Allboyz
it was really a boring match, why don't u resuscitate the nairaland forum in facebook?
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by chidyke77(m): 9:57am On Jan 17, 2010
@iyineda
your rating for obasi is wrong and i dnt agree wt u on dat and u also mentioned dat u  played in France and bcoz of dat u knw everytin abt futball technically is off point.
Had it bn dat Amodu introduced nsofor earlier,we could hv gotten more goals. Our attack is always sharper wt those olympic guys bt when pair wt Yakubu u cnt get d best frm them. Yakubu plays beta wt d other older players dat undastand hm beta.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by sheriffman(m): 12:23pm On Jan 17, 2010
Those guys are wack lets see what they can do against Mozambique.
I think it's time we really forget Amodu,He's played his part and this is how far he can take us.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by tnk24: 12:29pm On Jan 17, 2010
@ded
I agree with your assessment

What the Super Eagles need is a coach that is tactically sound irrespective of colour. Then the coach must be given enough time to build a good team irrespective of early results and above all, there must be a developmental plan beginning from the grassroot level to the local league with both players and coaches. But, all this starts with the quality of those running the game of football administratively.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by 9jauk: 1:10pm On Jan 17, 2010
we need okoro at least for the world cup,enough of slow Yakubu is not sharp plz,i hope Oba goal will be fit enough and uche, utaka is a world class player as well
Mikel is useless look for Karibe Ojigwe,Kanu needs to play 90min:strikers are not feed enogh passes staright from willenhall.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by philip0906(m): 2:03pm On Jan 17, 2010
ol boy i dey benin republic now.i watchd d match i a viewing centre in cotonou.kai c as beninnoise dey insult us "Nigeria i don die.nigeria i don finish.nigeria e no sabi anytin" grin grin grin.ol boy i no show my identity 4 there o grin grin.
Re: Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 by kkkossy(m): 2:06pm On Jan 17, 2010
philip0906:

ol boy i dey benin republic now.i watchd d match i a viewing centre in cotonou.kai c as beninnoise dey insult us "Nigeria i don die.nigeria i don finish.nigeria e no sabi anytin" grin grin grin.ol boy i no show my identity 4 there o grin grin.
lols

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Goals From Nigerians All Over The World 2014 / Ronaldo Nears 700 Career Goals After Scoring Against Luxembourg / Rashidi Yekini Now Walks The Streets Of Ibadan Barefooted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.