Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,323 members, 7,881,199 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:11 PM

4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature (1061 Views)

Download Aero Whatsapp Latest Version 8.22 For Android / Whatsapp Latest Feature: Swipe To Reply, Dark Mode And Lots More / 6 Reasons Not To Use Your Phone In Bed At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by Geekylady(f): 12:43pm On Feb 11, 2017

World's top messaging app WhatsApp has just got another layer of security -- two-step verification. The feature offers another way of authentication of your account via a six-digit passcode and is aimed at deterring people from using other users phone numbers for WhatsApp.

Excited? Can't wait to activate the new security feature in your smartphone? Wait, there’s a ‘flip side’ too. Here are four reasons to stay away from WhatsApp’s new security settings.

1. Danger of Losing WhatsApp Access For 7 days.

Two-step verification requires specifying an email address that can be used to turn it off if you forget the six-digit passcode. But if you forget the passcode without specifying the backup email, you won’t be able to reverify your number on
WhatsApp within 7 days of last using it.

Essentially, this means that you won’t be able to access WhatsApp for seven days.

2. Risk Of Your WhatsApp Account Getting Deleted

If you reverify your number on WhatsApp after 30 days of last using the app, without the passcode, your WhatsApp account will be automatically deleted.

Although a new account will be created automatically once you successfully reverify, there’s still a risk of your account and all your chats getting deleted, unless you regularly back them up.

3. Nagging Reminders To Enter Passcode

If you use the internet regularly, you already know how annoying pop-ups are. And with two-step verification enabled, you may have to deal with something like that in WhatsApp frequently.

That’s because the app will periodically ask you to enter your passcode, thus ‘helping’ you to not forget it. There’s no way to disable this nagging prompt without turning off two-step verification altogether.

4. Potential Security Risk To Your Email ID

As mentioned above, enabling two-step verification requires you to specify a valid email address, which can be used to disable the feature in case you ever forget your passcode.

Although WhatsApp claims that it won’t verify the email to confirm its accuracy, you still the run the risk of having your e-mail address exposed to security threats and possibly unwanted promotional messages.

Source:
http://ladygeeky..com.ng/2017/02/4-reasons-not-to-use-whatsapp-latest.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by Whizpeter(m): 12:51pm On Feb 11, 2017
Me I no kuku like stress before...
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 11, 2017
Hmmmmmm.
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by directonpc(m): 5:28pm On Feb 11, 2017
Number 4 is the main thing. Whatsapp wants to have ur email for some marketing benefits.
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by Geekylady(f): 7:57am On Feb 14, 2017
shocked
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by Youngpo413: 3:43pm On Feb 14, 2017
Who WhatsApp epp
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by Mustay(m): 7:26pm On Feb 14, 2017
directonpc:
Number 4 is the main thing. Whatsapp wants to have ur email for some marketing benefits.
But Facebook already has that
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by directonpc(m): 8:28pm On Feb 14, 2017
Mustay:
But Facebook already has that
True but this one is your mobile number + email
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by FellaL: 8:55pm On Feb 14, 2017
mtcheew who even need whatsapp self
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by pr0blem: 8:56pm On Feb 14, 2017
if they like let them block it i have Google+ with me
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by Mustay(m): 10:07pm On Feb 14, 2017
directonpc:

True but this one is your mobile number + email

My point being that FB owns WhatsApp - reason why FB suggests your number or even suggests someone you just called or saved his or her number as a 'people you may know'. I get you though but almost everything is interconnected these days
Re: 4 Reasons Not To Use Whatsapp's Latest Security Feature by directonpc(m): 12:34am On Feb 15, 2017
Mustay:

My point being that FB owns WhatsApp - reason why FB suggests your number or even suggests someone you just called or saved his or her number as a 'people you may know'. I get you though but almost everything is interconnected these days
Yeah I sure know fb owns IG and Whatsapp since I am a developer and I follow tech news.

A little more interconnection never hurts these guys. And unlike us they gather data for even the future.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Share Data On All Network In Nigeria Using USSD Codes / Neatly Used Infinix Note 2 4G LTE 35k Give Away / Nokia 3 Review By Techknowng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.