Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,314 members, 7,881,158 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:34 PM

Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time (671 Views)

How to Spot Rogue Web Developers before giving a project / How Do I locate My Smf Boardindex.template.php File Via Ftp / What Type Of Ftp Client Do You Use To Upload Websites And Why Do You Use It ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by Nobody: 6:15am On Dec 10, 2009
Please i am new to smf. I have heard stories ftp is the best option for transfering & uploading files e.t.c. Now i want to edit some codes in my files & upload again to overwright the existing ones. In my case, there are just stories as i do not find these options LIKE: Find Code, Replace Code e.t.c. Please can someone please post a newbie way to using ftp, the right ftp to use. I have used Net2ftp, Filezilla e.t.c. What am i doing right pls. Thanks
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by mavenbox: 6:17am On Dec 10, 2009
Download the files, open them in notepad or another editor, edit what you want to edit, save the files and then upload again.

Cheers.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by DualCore1: 9:22am On Dec 10, 2009
Could mail you a tutorial I wrote on filezilla. I think its an ftp client that just has everythingg you will need.

You can use the Notepad++ editor, its got an FTP plug-in.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 10, 2009
Cheers man i got it now
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by mrperfect(m): 11:44am On Dec 10, 2009
Glad to know that.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by mavenbox: 3:33pm On Dec 10, 2009
@DualCORE yeah i use ++ too. And DW. Notepad is a joke but i assumed it would do for a fast editing if he didnt have ++. Lol.
@OP: Congrats!
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by DualCore1: 5:37pm On Dec 10, 2009
Roger that, ma'am.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
Sorry i got little problem here. Saving the files creates a new directory. Pls how can i make my downloaded files which i ve already edit to overight the existing files. Rather they create their directory instead of replacing the existing files. Your last help please.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by DualCore1: 8:34am On Dec 15, 2009
I don't think you are copying the files to the exact location where it should be.

Here's a suggestion, rather than copy a folder containing files, open the folder and select all files and transfer to the exact place where the ones to be overwritten are. If you're doing everything correctly you should get a dialogue box askign if you want to overwrite the files.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 15, 2009
Actually i never copy the files This is what i did, downloaded index.template.php, then opened it with notepad, then save. Then on ftp precisely net2ftp.com, i just tip where i ve index.template.php and then click upload at the left side of the ftp to upload the edited files (this is where my problem lies) From my explanation now, i mine away off 4rm it. I have coreftp too, but is more confusing than net2ftp. Thanks. Please your procedure in doing it.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by DualCore1: 2:44pm On Dec 15, 2009
It really doesnt matter what ftp client or web application you use, they all work with the same principle.

I cant tell what the issue is at your end but all u need to get up to speed with FTP is. . . when u take out a file to work with, put it right back to where u removed it when u're done editing. Get yourself well acquainted with the directory structure of what your working on.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 15, 2009
Sorry i am dull here. My problem is putting the files back to the directory where i download it as i don't get the message overight existing files?.
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by sayhi2ay(m): 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2009
Have you tried Coda?
Re: Help: Ftp Giving Me Tough Time by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 15, 2009
No

(1) (Reply)

Graphic Designer: I Need A Poster Design / Heya Im New On Here / Web Design Video Training For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.