Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,743 members, 7,879,221 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 02:21 PM

Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin (6264 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Why Young Writers Need Their Own Association – Wole Adedoyin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by spytime(m): 8:07am On Feb 24, 2017
Samanza89:
With due respect to the Yoruba's, I did my service year in one of the south west state. What baffles me is that, they even use their dialect to teach English language in classes and they expect better results from the students, which is totally uncalled for. The rate of failure was alarming just because students couldn't express themselves when writing exams.
Oga have u had the cause to study in placeses like Russia, China to mention few how the teach? Bro the teach with their indigenous languages even set their exams questions with it.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 8:17am On Feb 24, 2017
Amusaopeyemi:

Wrong Mr Drabeey. DO Fagunwa

Yeah, i have corrected it

But are you truly an atheist?

That means u can help me with what i believe.

If you dont mind, can we talk?
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by harffie(m): 8:20am On Feb 24, 2017
eyinjuege:

I read that book in primary school, maybe class 4 or 5. I just saw it at home one day, and started reading it because of the pictures in it.
It was a scary book, but I couldn't put it down. It took me days to finish it because I wasn't so good reading the language but I just couldn't drop the book.
Very interesting book.
Hmm, it's very interesting that you can read Yoruba at primary 4/5
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by heywhy55(m): 8:21am On Feb 24, 2017
vintino:
I guess i have read 4 out of his 5 books, those are my favourite novels then! i got A1 in Yoruba Language in my SSCE, dnt ask me about other subject!
1. Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole
2. Igbo Olodumare
3. Irinajo Irinkerindo Lo Si Oke Langbodo
4. Aditu...

I dont know the 5th book and will be glad if anyone can help out, i will be happy to read those great books over and over again...

i head the man disapear by a riverbank in niger state!
Ireke onibudo
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by anonimi: 8:26am On Feb 24, 2017
Factfinder1:
Dont celebrate him annually for nothing make sure his old parents are at least living an average life.....

What are royalties on the books he authored for?
What is average life to you and why can't his parents support themselves in their old age from their own savings from what they earned while active?
I am almost certain that you are not looking forward to relying on your children sustaining an average life for you in old age or are you?
Should his family not be using the money to have a Foundation that endows a professorial chair to continue research into Fagunwa's works and create more awareness about his legendary talent

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855404_fbimg1442168436118_jpeg3abf4555427b1803302e6b4f3ffbbb15

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by baysol: 8:44am On Feb 24, 2017
Samanza89:
With due respect to the Yoruba's, I did my service year in one of the south west state. What baffles me is that, they even use their dialect to teach English language in classes and they expect better results from the students, which is totally uncalled for. The rate of failure was alarming just because students couldn't express themselves when writing exams.

....and how that take concern you. The fact that they use yoruba to explain English point to one fact that English may be used widely, but unfortunately it cannot in anyway compare in depth, meaning and substance to Yoruba Language. Take your myopic criticism else where one only wanders why you with colonial mentality always have nightmares whenever Yorubas are doing things for themselves and progressing. Who cares about fluency in english? Ede abinibi lo jowalogun, joo sun fun wa.(please interprete in English if you can I have said my own).

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Samanza89: 8:49am On Feb 24, 2017
spytime:
Oga have u had the cause to study in placeses like Russia, China to mention few how the teach? Bro the teach with their indigenous languages even set their exams questions with it.

My brother am still wondering how you came about your comparism. For example China has a universal language, hitherto every citizen of China understands it. Will you compare that to Nigeria where we have diverse dialects, and we all know that English is our Linqua franca. So if am from the Igbo tribe in Nigeria I can't study in a Yoruba speaking tribe because the make use of their dialect to tutor students there?... That can't work here bro!...
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Samanza89: 8:57am On Feb 24, 2017
baysol:

....and how that take concern you. The fact that they use yoruba to explain English point to one fact that English may be used widely, but unfortunately it cannot in anyway compare in depth, meaning and substance to Yoruba Language. Take your myopic criticism else where one only wanders why you with colonial mentality always have nightmares whenever Yorubas are doing things for themselves and progressing. Who cares about fluency in english? Ede abinibi lo jowalogun, joo sun fun wa.(please interprete in English if you can I have said my own).

Thank you!..
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by loadux(f): 9:02am On Feb 24, 2017
where can I buys his books from
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by RGem(f): 9:11am On Feb 24, 2017
vintino:
I guess i have read 4 out of his 5 books, those are my favourite novels then! i got A1 in Yoruba Language in my SSCE, dnt ask me about other subject!
1. Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole
2. Igbo Olodumare
3. Irinajo Irinkerindo Lo Si Oke Langbodo
4. Aditu...

I dont know the 5th book and will be glad if anyone can help out, i will be happy to read those great books over and over again...

i head the man disapear by a riverbank in niger state!

5. Ireke Onibudo.
The man is a legend.
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Rashdimuh(m): 9:11am On Feb 24, 2017
Samanza89:

That's even where I served... Ekiti State to be precise...
That state U guys did your youth produced the highest number of Professors in Nigeria. You can't just use a particular place as yardstick for the tribe. I served in Abia Ngwa precisely omo dem local for there on. But I can't use that as yardstick for all igbos

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by anonimi: 9:41am On Feb 24, 2017
loadux:
where can I buys his books from

Have you tried google?

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by prela(f): 10:01am On Feb 24, 2017
OP, this is what he looks like, not that one you put up there grin somebody that disappeared since 1960

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by eyinjuege: 10:50am On Feb 24, 2017
harffie:

Hmm, it's very interesting that you can read Yoruba at primary 4/5

Oh, I was a voracious reader as a kid. I read everything readable. I even started reading M&B books from primary 3. They were romance books, but not graphic ones. Now I can't stand reading romance novels again.
I usually went to the book shop myself to go and buy story books after harassing my folks for money.
I read all of Enid blyton books. So many books.... My school also had nice books then, and as pupils, we used to exchange personal story books

It took me a long time to finish the Yoruba book. That was the only one I read as a child, and probably till date. It was too draining. Of course I didn't know about the Ami ohun stuff, and just read the book like English, and only made sense out of it by applying common sense. A times, I went to my dad for some of the interpretations of the words I couldn't decipher.
I just couldn't drop the book.
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by eyinjuege: 10:55am On Feb 24, 2017
Rashdimuh:
That state U guys did your youth produced the highest number of Professors in Nigeria. You can't just use a particular place as yardstick for the tribe. I served in Abia Ngwa precisely omo dem local for there on. But I can't use that as yardstick for all igbos

Well, let's be honest though. The standard of education has dropped in our schools. I will talk about schools in the SW. Things are really bad now. The state govts need to sit up, and stop living on past glory.
They probably don't care since their own children are going to the best schools anyway
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by baysol: 11:04am On Feb 24, 2017
eyinjuege:

Oh, I was a voracious reader as a kid. I read everything readable. I even started reading M&B books from primary 3. They were romance books, but not graphic ones. Now I can't stand reading romance novels again.
I usually went to the book shop myself to go and buy story books after harassing my folks for money.
I read all of Enid blyton books. So many books.... My school also had nice books then, and as pupils, we used to exchange personal story books

It took me a long time to finish the Yoruba book. That was the only one I read as a child, and probably till date. It was too draining. Of course I didn't know about the Ami ohun stuff, and just read the book like English, and only made sense out of it by applying common sense. A times, I went to my dad for some of the interpretations of the words I couldn't decipher.

Well said even the writing of shakes speare cannot rival Fagunwa's writing anytime anyday. You may Argue this as far as you want but that's the truth.

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by baysol: 11:15am On Feb 24, 2017
eyinjuege:

Well said omoluabi, even the writing of shakes speare cannot rival Fagunwa's writing anytime anyday. You may Argue this as far as you want but that's the truth.

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by vintino(m): 11:30am On Feb 24, 2017
RGem:

5. Ireke Onibudo.
The man is a legend.
Yeah I remeber now, i guess d novel was so old n most of its pages missing then, so i just leave it..
will be glad if i see anywhere i can get the 5 though.
thanks dear
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by elfico(m): 12:33pm On Feb 24, 2017
Samanza89:
Its not an issue particular to one region. I served in Anambra and noticed the same thing too. And it happens in the North too. I think something should be done to address such issues.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bulk Recharge Card Pin Seller In Port Harcourt Nigeria / How To Make Steady Income Writing And Publishing Your Book On Amazon Kindle / My Sex Service To My Principaland Students – Nysc Member(part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.