Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,144 members, 7,880,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:50 PM

Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia (8387 Views)

Poll: Is This A Good Initiative?

Yes: 38% (26 votes)
No: 61% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

11 Road Contractors Collected N4bn Without Going To Site-Senate / Buhari Phobia: N2.5b Adada Dam Contractor Rushes Back To Site / Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by fidelitea: 12:40pm On Dec 13, 2009
gun factory ke? this is just a means of legalizing the gun trafficking that goes on in the east
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2009
@nchara
All i'm saying is that with the present tribal ego among the major tribes,citing a gun factory in igboland means another civil war and is unacceptable.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Horus(m): 1:01pm On Dec 13, 2009
ogbongzky:

Dont you think those guns would be licensed and properly documented?

Corruption and black market dont care about license and documentation. You can have anything with money. Criminals now will have unprecedented access to guns at affordable prices. Nigeria will have more waves of crime, and I mean Gun Crimes.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Austin234(m): 2:24pm On Dec 13, 2009
The FG should look b/4 they leap. Let me join one of my friend to say 'I hope the gun will not back fire'
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by strangleyo: 3:13pm On Dec 13, 2009
Nchara:

The makers are already private people, but it is rather unregulated and a reason the govt should step in.

Then I don't see what the problem is.

I am all pro guns making. I wish we made tanks, missiles and nukes too.

A healthy weapons industry is the backbone of every regional power.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Dede1(m): 3:32pm On Dec 13, 2009
~Bluetooth:

@nchara
All i'm saying is that with the present tribal ego among the major tribes,citing a gun factory in igboland means another civil war and is unacceptable.

What a nonsense coming out of a noted tribal irredentist? You will be fine if any industry fully backed by federal government of Nigeria is not cited in Igbo land. Why have we not stopped seeing ethnic and religious riots since DIC is cited in the Kaduna? Maybe given the dexterity of ethnic and religious riots that dotted the landscape of northern region of Nigeria since 1945, you would have at least voiced your ethnic-biased but skewed opinion against citing arms industry in part of the country.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by donjon: 3:35pm On Dec 13, 2009
Am okay with it, as far as the facility is guarded by the military
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Parnassuss(m): 3:43pm On Dec 13, 2009
The state of affiars right now cannot inspire confidence expecially where safety and maintainance is concerned, i mean, its fairly common to find entire Carrier ships missing, what then would safeguard hand held weapons. If we get a gun factory running what then, do we export, being that the only ones desperate enough to buy new and untested designs would be conflicting third world countries. Wether in Zamfara, Kogi, Abia, Lagos or Taraba, a gun factory is a bad idea. sad
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Parnassuss(m): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2009
back2back:

This is good but the GUNS should be sold abroad.

It must NEVER be sold or use in Nigeria!

It is time we have a clear strategic foreign policy.

We can for instance put Libya people against Gadafi by demanding for democracy then we sell the GUNS to both parties to kill themselves while ABAIA make money and can develop their state.

Or better we supply it to North Ireland guys or the Spanish Basique fighters.

Or we supply it to the Georgia, Ukraine to fight Russia.

Or we supply to Mexico drug lords.

It is time we pay them back!

You can't be serious, pay back for what, this'll just end up in the classical shot to the foot fashion by our own guns.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by kwekwe: 4:10pm On Dec 13, 2009
Thanks to the fed. govt. for trying to discourage criminality in Abia State by converting illegitimate gun manufacturers to be manufacturing legally/legitimately for the govt.
The State Govt. should as well create jobs to discourage people from going into crime in this part of the state.
Ngwa land is home to people from all parts of igbo land hence continued criminal activities there will have a negative effect, not only to Ngwa people but also to these numerous settlers that has made Ngwa land their second home.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 13, 2009
@Dede1
security concern is my ultimate arguement here and not tribal sentiment.Whether you like it or not,other tribes don't really trust the igbo and you know this.I saw comments from your fellow brothers on this thread and they boasted that the igbo manufacture and supply arms to the militants in the niger delta.Now tell me what good those arms in the hand of militants have brought to the region if not death and destruction.The Peace of nigeria should not be compromised by tribal sentiments besides we have enough arms in wrong hands already.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by blacwizard: 5:16pm On Dec 13, 2009
Dont mind those cretins claiming to be igbos!
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by seyibrown(f): 5:25pm On Dec 13, 2009
Not a very good idea , lipsrsealed
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by mekusxxx: 5:53pm On Dec 13, 2009
You guys do not  get the argument. The guns are already being made and used for bad instead of good because there is no regulation. Can those who oppose the idea give an alternative thing to do? What do you want done by the gun makers and by the govt? If you do not have any solution, why the opposition? The gun makers are essentially blacksmiths and while retraining them could be an option, note that those already trained including graduates do not have jobs.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by skisdon: 10:23pm On Dec 13, 2009
that is total rubbish,setting up a gun factory for ngwa people is the worst way to fight crime in that region the point is that the igbos dont really know what there want,that factory there is like legalizing the use of weapons it will increase that which we are avoiding this is nigeria there is a limit to which you can checkmate the production and distribution of those weapons.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by skisdon: 10:26pm On Dec 13, 2009
there are thousands of things this people can produce why gun among everything there can produce why is this factory not in awka the originators why ngwa the answer is simple ;;;;;propraganda;;;;;;;;;;;;.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by mekusxxx: 10:42pm On Dec 13, 2009
skis_don:

there are thousands of things this people can produce why gun among everything there can produce why is this factory not in awka the originators why ngwa the answer is simple ;;;;;propraganda;;;;;;;;;;;;.

These people have been making guns long before Nigeria came into existence. Your citing those making guns in Awka is a good reason why govt should step in because those in Awka do not use their skills for criminality, at least not as reported for Ngwaland. It is either they are regulated or left to continue producing guns for criminals and militants. Choose one.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by donjon: 10:54pm On Dec 13, 2009
So do they make bullets too? Or only guns?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by mekusxxx: 11:45pm On Dec 13, 2009
^^^^^^^

Lets see how smart you are. Which is easier, making guns and making bullets?

Now read this

Two weeks ago the police in Abuja paraded 19 suspected local manufacturers of illegal arms and ammunitions with large caches of firearms worth several millions of Naira. The suspects were arrested in Abala, a village in Abia State, eastern Nigeria.

The weapons recovered from the suspects, who will soon appear in court, include 96 AK-47 riffles, 93 magazines and pistols.

"The arrest of the 19 firearms manufacturers, which followed a tip off, in Abia State marks a breakthrough in efforts at mopping up illegally acquired firearms," Olakpe said.

http://ipsnews.net/africa/interna.asp?idnews=23435
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by emekagh(m): 11:50am On Dec 14, 2009
I think is the whole point of government stepping in is not really to 'encourage' manufacturing or increase the availability of gun. I suppose government want to regulate the 'gun industry' and make the operators more accountable.

The question concern about the guns be used in the country or not does not arise, because these guns are already being used. Regulations, control, is the operative word here. Government is concern, and intend to take regulatory action.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by udennaa: 1:13pm On Dec 14, 2009
federal govt to what?aru!everybody should start buying fire extinguisher because nigeria will soon be on fire.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by stede(m): 5:07pm On Dec 14, 2009
udennaa:

federal govt to what?aru!everybody should start buying fire extinguisher because nigeria will soon be on fire.
au much will it cost me to get a fire extingusher
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by afrikaam(m): 6:19pm On Dec 14, 2009
There goes Abia state. FGN can barely keep the lights on, but Gun production is now his primary goal. Who let this imbeciles into office. I smell a revolution.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 6:37pm On Dec 14, 2009
Talk, talk, talk by NL forumites but no action (alternative suggestions). Are you guys deaf that the guns are already being made (since adam) and even if the feds do not step in (to regulate) the guns will continue to be made illegally and supplied to robbers and militants who are ever ready to be highest bidders? Do you think these highly skilled crafstmen (essentially blacksmiths) will let their culture (of gun making) die just like that? What part of the statement is not clear?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by debosky(m): 9:31pm On Dec 14, 2009
So instead of teaching them to make other things with their skills such as industrial machines or farming implements the solution is to put them together in a factory and start making more guns - what an intelligent solution. undecided

A gun factory is a BAD idea - we have poor control of the guns in the country, with military personnel even selling guns to the militants in the ND, how much worse will it get when there's an actual factory making the weapons close by?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 14, 2009
Which part of our constitution recognizes gun-running.A Criminal is a criminal.Those manufacturing arms in Abala are not talented but criminals so they should be brought to book.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Kobojunkie: 10:10pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Which part of our constitution recognizes gun-running.A Criminal is a criminal.Those manufacturing arms in Abala are not talented but criminals so they should be brought to book.

Roflmao!!!
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 10:28pm On Dec 14, 2009
debosky:

So instead of teaching them to make other things with their skills such as industrial machines or farming implements the solution is to put them together in a factory and start making more guns - what an intelligent solution. undecided

A gun factory is a BAD idea - we have poor control of the guns in the country, with military personnel even selling guns to the militants in the ND, how much worse will it get when there's an actual factory making the weapons close by?

How many graduates (Ph.D, MSc, BSc and Diplomas) are actually employed? How many have been retrained (for e.g., a graduate of political science being retrained to something more useful, e.g., info tech), talk less of already highly-skilled craftsmen who just needs some regulation to the use of their skills? Moreover, what makes anyone think that engaging them in some other occupation will stop them from making guns in the sideline, considering that old habits die hard and gun-making is actually lucrative?

Perhaps you know about the Afghan situation where the govt tried to dissuade farmers from growing opium. The govt gave them incentives to grow wheat and other crops. Nevertheless, some of the Afghans plant wheat and the other approved crops but still intercrop those with opium. I have seen this on CNN. This means that old habits really die hard, especially if they are lucrative habits. In the same light, if the Abala guys are retrained, they may still be making guns in the sideline. This being the case, why not then harness the existing skill and put it to official use especially as we (naija) can make money from it instead of importing guns as we currently do, while the criminals buy locally?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 10:30pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Which part of the consitution does not recognize craftsmanship? Shame to you that the FGN thought it wiser to regulate them than arresting them, releasing them and they continuing their trade.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 10:31pm On Dec 14, 2009
Debosky?

Are guns not already being made in Nigeria at the DICON? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by omytex(m): 10:49pm On Dec 14, 2009
Maybe to help the BAKASI boys! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 14, 2009
@nchara
i didnt say craftmanship was illegal.Have you ever seen a carpenter or mechanic being arrested for practising that kind of trade.Illegality shouldn't be associated with skills or poverty!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

General Kills Kidnapper / Pdp, Oyinlola Sue Mtn For N150b Over Call Logs / ** Bola Tinubu's Mindless Acquisition Of Properties - To What End (PIC) **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.