Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,514 members, 7,885,158 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 01:53 AM

Which African Country Speaks The Best English? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which African Country Speaks The Best English? (54654 Views)

Please Which Is The Best English Grammar Text / Which African Country Speaks The Best English Language / LIST: Best English Speaking Countries In Africa See Where Nigeria Is On The List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:00pm On Feb 25, 2017
odimbannamdi:
So upon all the "pasta" (to mean pastor) and "educashan" (to mean education) wey Ghana dey speak, na still 9th dem carry...lol
you cant see that it's pure conjuncture
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by goingape1: 1:01pm On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:
While I was browsing the net this evening with my itel S31, came across this and decided to share.
Who speaks the best English in Africa? And the answer is Uganda. According to the world linguistic Agency, Uganda takes the cake for being the best English speaking African Nation.
First off, the idea behind the best English speaking African nation ranking is in no way to slight any nation. Africa is a country of an entirely different culture from the west. So, it is understandable that some African countries are still not fluent in them. As a matter of fact not all the nations of the world fancy the English language.
English language is the global/international language at the moment.
Like we say, anything worth doing is worth doing well. There are 28 English speaking African nations. From these 28, the World Linguistic Agency made a list of those who speak the best of English language in Africa.
Best English Speaking Countries In Africa:

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

It is also worthy to mention that as some countries were not colonized by the British, their Lingua franca differs. It will be asking too much to expect fluency from them.
Africa is not a county! undecided

is a continent. put that into consideration
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by sheeda995(f): 1:02pm On Feb 25, 2017
vowsng:
U

So if there was no english language, after you finish learning housa, you will go and learn yoruba, anyday you want to travel to south africa or any foreign country, you will spent atleast 1 year to learn the language of that country and so on, also imagine as we have this platform, (nairaland) you are typing in igbo and another is typing in house and yoruba, how do you think there wouldnt be a bridge in communication?

Stop trying so hard to be wiser than your masters, a general language that makes it easier to communicate globally is a sinequanon. If an african country was opportuned to be the colonial master or country, they inturn would have enforced their language on their subjects, but nature did not permit them, instead, they were busy jumping with monkeys in the bush, and when you ask them, they will say that civilisation started in africa, i tend to wonder what has stopped them from getting more civilised even with the exit of the colonial masters.
Lols, that's it bro. Jumping around the bushes with monkeys, when their mates are doing something worthwhile. I think they deserve to be colonised and forced language upon, About having a common language in Africa, even in Nigeria, they will kill each other finish fighting for whoose language to use, the Hausa's will want a bigger share,the Igbos and the Yoruba's too will wage wars, even WAZOBIA cannot work, because Africans are genetically programmed to destroy any good attempt with their tribal mawkishness. Trust me, the problem Africans generally have is just too plenty, corruption, dishonesty etc which all point at one thing, genetically with low IQ. If we were to still be under our colonial master, Nigeria would have become more industrialised and maybe better than what we have today
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:03pm On Feb 25, 2017
Gerrard59:

There is nothing wrong with speaking the English Language. The problem is that we relegated our indigenous languages to the background. But then, how do you want an extremely diverse country to communicate effectively and properly? In Akwa Ibom, an Oron indigene knows Ibibio, however, the Ibibios don't know the Oro Language. Can please tell me how you want both parties to communicate effectively? Don't tell me both should speak Ibibio, as the Oro people prefer speaking their language than speaking another. What about Cross River where an Atam person doesn't know Efik and vice versa? What about Rivers where the Ijaws speak a different language from the Eastern Obolos and the Igboid group Ikwerre? What about Delta? The diversity (which is actually a good thing) calls for a common language - either Pidgin or English language. But to expect everyone to speak their native language calls for confusion. Babel will be a child's play.

Additionally, unfortunately, we have not utilized our use of the English language to proper economic value. Unlike India, Philippines or even Kenya which utilized the language for their BPO business, we don't even when we speak a proper form of the English language than them (Indians). By now, we should be the numero uno in the outsourcing industry. A suggestion will be to legalise the speaking/use of our native languages. Examples include Switzerland, Singapore etc. But that works effectively when it is four languages and few ethnic groups not 250+ ethnic groups and a plethora of languages. The use of WAZOBIA will be like an imposition on the minorities. Another will be teach our children (at home not school) - (from 3-6 years native languages of both parents - if they are of different ethnic groups). Research shows that the younger one is, the likelihood of learning a new language. But that shouldn't stop the teaching and usage of the English Language - properly.

So sir, let's continue the use of the English language - properly and economically.

At the topic, I am surprised Ghana is down the list. I remembered a thread where the Chinese Government sponsored a program to recruit English teachers from African countries and Zambia, Ghana and Kenya made the top three. South Africa and I think Zimbabwe were somewhat close. Old thread. On the other hand, Nigeria was nowhere to be found. Not like I was surprised sef.

Time to listen to how other African nations speak the language. Too much watching Ghanaian programmes have deceived me. grin
Just look at the write up and you will realize, the person was making a list up

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:04pm On Feb 25, 2017
Mandateinfinito:
I thought it was Ghana b4! Not knowing that Nigeria is even better than Ghana, provided WLA's ranking is correct! But Uganda.............. am surprised!!!
its a make up guy, dont get excited yet.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:06pm On Feb 25, 2017
asuustrike2009:

How can Nigeria be number 3 and Ghana no 9! So all d forming wen Ghana dey give na wetin? You hear words like pasta instead of pastor. Abeg oh make una explain
Its a list of the successfully colonized countries. In Ghana English only come second to the various Akan Languages when it comes to the most spoken languages

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by jordinsparkles(f): 1:07pm On Feb 25, 2017
zinaunreal:
Nigeria should be number one jor. Our accent and english are plain and simple. Wetin SA dey speak? This list is absolute rubbish
I agree with you, uganda and south Africa can't speak properly! To me its Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:08pm On Feb 25, 2017
GlorifiedTunde:

Na so grin grin

But Ghanaians also have phonetic extremes like Pasta instead of Pastor.

However, I know Nigeria is one country where you will see someone who has never stepped into an airplane speak Queen's English like he/she was born into the hands of the Queen of England. cheesy
grin grin grin seems like you are dreaming
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by DavidEsq(m): 1:09pm On Feb 25, 2017
If Uganda citizens are still required to sit for English proficiency test, in order to sch abroad, then there is no need for the best-in-English award or recognition.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:11pm On Feb 25, 2017
CoolVoice:

Ghanaians that call Work "Weck" nko?
mind you, according to Phonetics
thats the best pronunciation.

The way you Nigerians pronounce that word is horrible.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by DavidEsq(m): 1:12pm On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:
This type of topic should be deleted by the moderators as its promoting slavery. English is not our language!!. It is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors when we were slaves, and as such, you shouldn't be proud speaking it.

Some of you often ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved? What they were doing is the same thing you're doing today when you promote English language or feel proud speaking it.

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. I regret to have learned to speak English in school. I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.
Let's start with you: how well can u speak your native language or better, how ha u taught ur kids to speak it (if u don born pikin sha)
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:13pm On Feb 25, 2017
CoolVoice:

Ghanaians that call Work "Weck" nko?

wəːk
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:15pm On Feb 25, 2017
safarigirl:
the best English-speaking African nation as fqr as I know is Zimbabwe.

Dunno where this list came from, but it's not correct.

Ghana shoukd make Top 5

Nigeria should be second.... I have never heard Ugandans speak English that can be understood, even SA.

South Africans that call black 'blek'
yes the South Africans are correct. You Nigerians have the horrible
pronunciations

blak
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by tarboshi(m): 1:15pm On Feb 25, 2017
grin grin Honestly, If the rating is according to spoken English, Nigeria really tried to occupy that position.

Imaging the different versions of spoken English we have in Nigeria

Calabar English

Aboki Version

Anambara English ....(like, this is vely (not very) good)!

Ijebu Ode Version ......(like tirii for three)

Tiv Intonation.....Its worse than Calabar

Nigeria is lucky to have occupied that position
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by bujy: 1:19pm On Feb 25, 2017
Just30:
yes the South Africans are correct. You Nigerians have the horrible
pronunciations

blak
very true cucumber they pronounce kukumba
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Heavance(m): 1:20pm On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:
This type of topic should be deleted by the moderators as its promoting slavery. English is not our language!!. It is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors when we were slaves, and as such, you shouldn't be proud speaking it.

Some of you often ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved? What they were doing is the same thing you're doing today when you promote English language or feel proud speaking it.

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. I regret to have learned to speak English in school. I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.
Your point is well understood.
But do you know I won't understand you at all if you type all these in Igbo language, Hausa or Yoruba language, as I am not from any of those three.
My brother, if a calabar man types his own, we may read till night o.
I believe we shouldn't forget our language, but English remains the unifying language we speak to understand one another. We have too many tribes in Nigeria
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:21pm On Feb 25, 2017
deathstroke:

Ghana Wetin? Even Liberia speak ;Dpass ghana sef
you are funny and the list is funny
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 1:23pm On Feb 25, 2017
vowsng:
U

So if there was no english language, after you finish learning housa, you will go and learn yoruba, anyday you want to travel to south africa or any foreign country, you will spent atleast 1 year to learn the language of that country and so on, also imagine as we have this platform, (nairaland) you are typing in igbo and another is typing in house and yoruba, how do you think there wouldnt be a bridge in communication?

Stop trying so hard to be wiser than your masters, a general language that makes it easier to communicate globally is a sinequanon. If an african country was opportuned to be the colonial master or country, they inturn would have enforced their language on their subjects, but nature did not permit them, instead, they were busy jumping with monkeys in the bush, and when you ask them, they will say that civilisation started in africa, i tend to wonder what has stopped them from getting more civilised even with the exit of the colonial masters.

You don't have to be a professor of English to travel to another country or comment on Nairaland.

If we were colonized by France we would be speaking French in Nigeria, and we would still have been able to travel to any country, like French people do. If we were colonized by Russia, we would have been speaking Russian, and we would still travel the world like Russians do. Then, brainwashed people like you would have argued Russia did us a favor.

Chinese people rule the world but their language is not spoken worldwide. You're not the one that have been helping them travel the world.

Yes, Africa is the mother of human civilization. But, something went wrong between 1400-1800 century when our lands were invaded and our ancestors taken to slavery. In the process too many people like YOU came along who got used to being slave, instead of rejecting it. The rest is history.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:25pm On Feb 25, 2017
Alphamale2017:
and everyone used to think its ghana. meanwhile, they are not even among the top 7. lol
cos everyone knows its Ghana and it's a FACT. we have the best pronunciations , even though English comes second or third to the most spoken languages in Ghana

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 25, 2017
venai:
just wondering what Naija music would have been without pidgin. I love pidgin. Na our own.
Yes oooo, it's our pride. Other countries love to listen to our pidgin
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by preselect(m): 1:28pm On Feb 25, 2017
African countries competing on who can speak a foreign language better. . . . . . . SMH

#BuhariGotNoBrains

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 1:28pm On Feb 25, 2017
DavidEsq:

Let's start with you: how well can u speak your native language or better, how ha u taught ur kids to speak it (if u don born pikin sha)

Why do you think I' am unable to speak my native language?
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:33pm On Feb 25, 2017
mccoy47:

Tah angry
U call dat dia nonsense english?
Calling "Police" .. "pe-lease"
and that is Correct
pəˈliːs

unlike the way you Nigerians call it
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 1:34pm On Feb 25, 2017
Heavance:

Your point is well understood.
But do you know I won't understand you at all if you type all these in Igbo language, Hausa or Yoruba language, as I am not from any of those three.
My brother, if a calabar man types his own, we may read till night o.
I believe we shouldn't forget our language, but English remains the unifying language we speak to understand one another. We have too many tribes in Nigeria

My brother, we get another language like Pidgin wey we fit use de communicate. Pidgin na language wey you go fit use talk to anybody for Nigeria and him go understand you well well pass English sef.

Na because our mind never open, we no no who we bi, na him mek we carry English wey bi another man language put for head.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by RichEstate(m): 1:37pm On Feb 25, 2017
I don't know the yard stick used in arriving at that but I want to strongly disagree with the list.
I interact on daily basis with Kenyans, Ethiopians, Ugandans, Ghanaians, Cameroonians, south Africans, Zimbabweans and of course Nigerians. All graduates of their different countries.
1. You can hardly understand what an Ugandan is saying because of their heavy accent.
2. Cameroon understandably is French speaking nation but those who speak English among do better than Uganda graduates
3. Ethiopians are not bad only that they have this kind of Hausa accent and therefore tend to pronounce words wrongly
4. Ghanaians speak good English, they are not forming only that they like competing with Nigeria but South Africa is better than them.
5. I still feel Zimbabwe speaks fluent, clear English than south Africa
6. Kenyans are a little better than Ghanaians
7. Nigeria has the best accent when it comes to speaking English. We like forming but Europeans and Americans feel comfortable when we speak compared to the aforementioned.

My list
Nigeria
Zimbabwe
South Africa
Kenya
Ghana
Ethiopia
Cameroon
Uganda
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:37pm On Feb 25, 2017
bujy:
very true cucumber they pronounce kukumba
this is the correct pronunciation
ˈkjuːkʌmbə and the Ghanaian pronunciation is the only one that comes near to this
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Feb 25, 2017
Damilare5882:
I think its Ghana
Don't let their intonation fool you.. I have Ghanaian cousins - I currently have spent the last 4 months with two of them (in Nigeria), I also had Ghanaians in secondary school . Their spoken English is terrible, intonation itself makes me want to slap the living hell off them
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:45pm On Feb 25, 2017
Jregz:

Don't let their intonation fool you.. I have Ghanaian cousins - I currently have spent the last 4 months with two of them (in Nigeria), I also had Ghanaians in secondary school . Their spoken English is terrible, intonation itself makes me want to slap the living hell off them
Because you have heard the wrong thing over and over and again , so you now accept it to be correct. so no matter how correct someone sounds, you will think it is wrong.
The fact is, You Nigerians have the worse pronunciations
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Butterworth: 1:48pm On Feb 25, 2017
Onyochejohn:
anybody you see type or mention afonja is a classic fools , afonja according to history was a local worrior who fought against Fulani rulership Ilorin kwara state, kwara state is a North Central Nigeria comprises of many tribes and languages

Afonja is a formal Yoruba king in Kwara state who sold the people of Kwara and their lands to Hausa/Fulani that's why until this day Fulani rules in Yoruba land of Kwara state.

Coward AFONJA sold his yorobba people to the Fulanis
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 1:48pm On Feb 25, 2017
RichEstate:
I don't know the yard stick used in arriving at that but I want to strongly disagree with the list.
I interact on daily basis with Kenyans, Ethiopians, Ugandans, Ghanaians, Cameroonians, south Africans, Zimbabweans and of course Nigerians. All graduates of their different countries.
1. You can hardly understand what an Ugandan is saying because of their heavy accent.
2. Cameroon understandably is French speaking nation but those who speak English among do better than Uganda graduates
3. Ethiopians are not bad only that they have this kind of Hausa accent and therefore tend to pronounce words wrongly
4. Ghanaians speak good English, they are not forming only that they like competing with Nigeria but South Africa is better than them.
5. I still feel Zimbabwe speaks fluent, clear English than south Africa
6. Kenyans are a little better than Ghanaians
7. Nigeria has the best accent when it comes to speaking English. We like forming but Europeans and Americans feel comfortable when we speak compared to the aforementioned.

My list
Nigeria
Zimbabwe
South Africa
Kenya
Ghana
Ethiopia
Cameroon
Uganda
your list is bullshit because
Nigerians have the worse pronunciations

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Iamthoney(m): 1:52pm On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:
While I was browsing the net this evening with my itel S31, came across this and decided to share.
Who speaks the best English in Africa? And the answer is Uganda. According to the world linguistic Agency, Uganda takes the cake for being the best English speaking African Nation.
First off, the idea behind the best English speaking African nation ranking is in no way to slight any nation. Africa is a country of an entirely different culture from the west. So, it is understandable that some African countries are still not fluent in them. As a matter of fact not all the nations of the world fancy the English language.
English language is the global/international language at the moment.
Like we say, anything worth doing is worth doing well. There are 28 English speaking African nations. From these 28, the World Linguistic Agency made a list of those who speak the best of English language in Africa.
Best English Speaking Countries In Africa:

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

It is also worthy to mention that as some countries were not colonized by the British, their Lingua franca differs. It will be asking too much to expect fluency from them.
Op beta go hide ooo cos Ghana people dey come for you oooo. So with all their gra gra, agidi and over sabi na 9 dem carry chai. Kenya even top dem. Charlie Ayam not understanding seriously
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by rhames(m): 1:54pm On Feb 25, 2017
MMMscam:

Nope! Namibians speak better. Ghanaians don't even come close to them.

Never encountered them so no arguments.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pictures Of Canaanland And Covenant University's 15MW Gas Plant / Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos / Difference Between "AM" And "I'M"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.