Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,226 members, 7,964,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 05:03 AM

We Are Not Born Atheist - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / We Are Not Born Atheist (2497 Views)

We Are All Born Atheist / Can A Person Be A Christian And Not Born Again? / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by Rrankdonga(m): 12:23am On Mar 01, 2017
Empiree:
Where is your brain sir?
I don't see how that is the answer to the question. Would God show up? That's our debate.
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by Nobody: 6:17am On Mar 01, 2017
Yes, Good can show up if he wants to. And when you screamed for help from your mom as a child and she didn't up, does that she doesn't exist?
Rrankdonga:
this is nonsense! When he screams God........ Are you saying God will show up? Please there is no God.
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by originalKsp(m): 6:46am On Mar 01, 2017
Empiree:
Where is your brain sir?

We need to grow past this 'make-stupid' apprpach of arguments. This is one reason atheists and religous folks here continue to involve in bitter argument. Each group's goal is to make the other look stupid. You can not correct someone expecially an adult by making them look stupid. It leads to each person trying to save his/her face by arguing blindly rather consindering the fact presented inorder not to look stupid.Make-stupid argument is dangerous, because it wounds a person’s precious pride, hurts their sense of importance, and arouses resentment.

Sure, we cannot all sleep facing the same side, but we should not be insulting when presenting our views.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by pressplay411(m): 6:55am On Mar 01, 2017
originalKsp:
You see the problem with religion and atheism is that religioous people are divided and against each other, we only "speak in one voice" when attacking atheists. If Children were not born atheists then which god/God idea were they born with? Why is it that they grow up to take up the religion of people around them and not the one they were born with?

See, I think we were born without knowlwdge of any religion or God, we grow up to acquire religion. Just as no one is born with knowledge of physics but acquires it. Religion is not an inborn talent like singing or drawing.

But if there is any other prove for your claim except for the op, I will be glad to know.

#Shalom

You said it.
We were born with a blank slate.
A canvas to draw art as we chart our own course in life.
A blank page to write our story albeit influenced by everything around us.
Like a computer. Everything we know and believe is as a result of the programs installed in us by our parents, religion, education, society, hearsays, teachers, books, movies, music, etc.

Which explains why people of same background share similar belief system and people of different backgrounds share conflicting beliefs.

The kid in OP's little scenario has been "taught" about ghosts, witches, etc in movies, in school, etc and She exhibited a natural human emotion "Fear" when such is replicated. Neither she nor Op has apparently seen a ghost which could easily buttress Op's point.

1 Like

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by AgentOfAllah: 7:22am On Mar 01, 2017
Rilwayne001:

No doubt, I goofed here, thanks for correcting me. I've never seen a ghost to have make such ridiculous assumption about their sounds, my assumption was based on nollywood movies. Lol. In short, i made some sort of scary sound, which i am certain you got my point clearly.
There's something refreshingly admirable about your self-deprecating approach to concession. Well done!

From the article: By the age of 2, a child's imagination kicks into gear as she imagines things she can't see, which opens the door to fear of the dark and monsters.

My points is where do these imagination come from?
This is a good starting point! I can't give a specific answer to your question, but I look forward to reading your well articulated theory about this in the future.
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by AgentOfAllah: 7:34am On Mar 01, 2017
Empiree:
I have alwyas thought "AgentofAllah" was muslim until now. undecided
Yes, "WAS" being the operative word!

Does he mind telling us how he acquired his moniker?
I think you meant to ask why I acquired the moniker. Simple: It's a reminder of the purpose for which I was religiously indoctrinated. Analogous, in some sense, to Agent Smith in the Matrix; who found freedom in deconstructing the system he was invented to protect. Although, the movie characterised Smith as the antagonist, all Smith really wanted was to become human!

1 Like

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by AgentOfAllah: 7:39am On Mar 01, 2017
Empiree:
Ha i see. If you want to know if he is truly atheist, buy him a plane ticket. When he reaches 35000 above sea level, instruct pilot to nose dive the plane and see how "agentofAllah" would scream God God God to rescue him kiss kiss
Lol...adorable! The funny thing is you're probably right! A few years of self re-programming cannot suddenly undo the damages from decades of indoctrination. However, my screaming for help would not do anything to ascertain the existence (or lack of) of god.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by AgentOfAllah: 7:46am On Mar 01, 2017
Seun:

Yea, it boggles the mind. Rilwayne001 should be ashamed of himself. I admire AgentOfAllah for having the patience to explain why it's wrong.
After many sessions of introspection, I've come to accept the sour truth that my capacity for critical analysis is often undone by my own routinely obstinate credulity. As such, I kind of empathise with the religiously inclined when they draw conclusions from faulty or incomplete reasoning; so I can only try to be patient.

4 Likes

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by analice107: 8:38am On Mar 01, 2017
enshy:

Jesus loves everyone; please give him a thought!
You will surely not deny at Judgment seat that you were not told...Please I beg of you all 'give God place in your heart'
If you plead with humans to come to Jesus then you did not know who Jesus is and the depravation and helplessness of Man.
Jesus does not beg anyone to come to Him, he invites and leaves the choice to them.
Man looses all if he doesn't come, Jesus looses nothing if man doesn't come.
Pls my brother, i know you mean well, but pls, let's understand who our master is.
What makes Him God is complete whether or not we go to Him.
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by enshy: 8:49am On Mar 01, 2017
analice107:

If you plead with humans to come to Jesus then you did not know who Jesus is and the depravation and helplessness of Man.
Jesus does not beg anyone to come to Him, he invites and leaves the choice to them.
Pls my brother, i know you mean well, but pls, let's understand who our master is.
Thanks alot.
However, Jesus isnt the one pleading, Im the one pleading.
I plead for all to flee from the wrath to come. Did you not read Paul say 'ministry of reconciliation has been committed to believers'? Ill by all means preach to all men, if by any means I save some!
If I need to plead, I will. If Ild be harsh, I will. If Ild weep nd pray my life out, I will. All I want is to see souls saved and cause some joy in Heaven! All I want is to see lives regenerated and live for God! I want to see the devil frustrated at Gods last day revival when several souls will surrender to Jesus!
I will employ all means and strategies to see souls come to Christ!
He is complete without me yet He planned redemption without my consent, God loves us beyond measure! He wont beg indeed. But Ild beg God for man and man for God! Believe, thats the ministry of reconciliation!
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by originalKsp(m): 11:17am On Mar 01, 2017
analice107:

There is nothing wrong in begging people to accept Jesus na, the apostle themselves do use, "I beseech you..." when talking about Jesus.
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by analice107: 4:41pm On Mar 02, 2017
originalKsp:

There is nothing wrong in begging people to accept Jesus na, the apostle themselves do use, "I beseech you..." when talking about Jesus.
Pls quote the whole of that verse. I beseech you to do what?

Apst Paul wasn't talking to unbelievers there, he was admonishing the church. The brethren.

Jesus, never begged anyone to come to Him. He invited.

Pls, do not beg people to come to Christ. They must see their sinful state and seek for salvation. If you beg them they will come thinking they are doing you a favour and you can't tell them the hard truth.

That's why the Church is full of sinners. Our Pastors are patronizing sinners to stay and bring money. If hard truth is spoken, they'll either repent or get out.

No sinner shd feel comfortable in Church.
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by originalKsp(m): 4:50pm On Mar 02, 2017
analice107:

Apst Paul wasn't talking to unbelievers there, he was admonishing the church. The brethren.

Pls, do not beg people to come to Christ. They must see their sinful state and seek for salvation. If you beg them they will come thinking they are doing you a favour and you can't tell them the hard truth.

That's why the Church is full of sinners. Our Pastors are patronizing sinners to stay and bring money. If hard truth is spoken, they'll either repent or get out.

Ok
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by realmindz: 4:51pm On Mar 02, 2017
Omudia:
Yes, Good can show up if he wants to. And when you screamed for help from your mom as a child and she didn't up, does that she doesn't exist?

mom won't show up because she's not omnipresent nor omnipotent.
She would ve surely shown up if she were

1 Like

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by realmindz: 5:00pm On Mar 02, 2017
Rilwayne001:

This is not always true. Like i said, this little girl is not up to 2 years, she's just a year and half. And due to the nature of her mum's business, they are not always at home except Sundays, they hardly have time for TVs talkless scary nollywood movies.

Why don't you try scaring a 2 month old baby??

You can carry out this simple imaginative experiment.

Have a new born baby, isolate him completely from religion.

Keep him in a closed system, completely away from every form of religious message, doctrine, or teachings including religious stories, religious sign posts etc.

What will the child grow to be? A muslim or a Christian ??

And will the child need religion to be morally upright?
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by realmindz: 5:02pm On Mar 02, 2017
analice107:

Behold the most intelligent girl on NL

From the back of course...

1 Like

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by analice107: 7:09pm On Mar 02, 2017
realmindz:

Behold the most intelligent girl on NL

From the back of course...
Lord, shd i respond to this reprobate? No.
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by realmindz: 7:36pm On Mar 02, 2017
angry
analice107:

Lord, shd i respond to this reprobate? No.

Continue running your mouth, wait till I catch you in hell sad
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by HardMirror(m): 7:09am On Mar 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:
Here you prove that kids can be afraid of the dark. Nothing new! Even adults are afraid of the dark! It's a vestige of our evolutionary reflexes from times we lacked the night vision advantage that our nocturnal predators had. Darkness impairs our most useful senses and leaves us vulnerable.

Here, you have shown that kids are comfortable with familiarity, and can quickly get uncomfortable when an unexpected, unfamiliar perturbation affects their safe place. Your voice may have sounded scary, but it most definitely did not sound like ghost murmurings since you've probably never heard a ghost murmur before, so this is pure speculation. There are many perfectly natural phenomena that can make scary sounds which kids are hard wired to fear, and you just may have hit one of those frequencies. Especially, you underestimate the imaginative creativity of a 2 year old!

Your conclusion is faulty. It does not follow from your limited observations. Moreover, there is a 2014 study1 by K. Corriveau et al., which disproves the notion that kids are hardwired to be religious.

In conclusion, you have made some well-known observations about human behaviour, which are robustly addressed by evolutionary biology and attempted to link these to the idea of a supreme god. You have not made clear how the fear of darkness or of strange sounds (which you purport, without evidence, to be ghost murmurs) imply belief in a supreme god. You may want to reformulate the procedure of your experiments and come up with a more appropriate conclusion than this shoddy job.

1 K. H. Corriveau, E. E. Chen, and P. L. Harris, "Judgments About Fact and Fiction by Children From Religious and Nonreligious Backgrounds," Cognitive Science, vol. 39, pp. 353-382, 2015.
Now this is intelligent argument.
OP hope you can reason with this.

1 Like

Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by HardMirror(m): 7:11am On Mar 03, 2017
Seun:
It's difficult to imagine what made the OP think that his ability to scare a toddler implies that "kids believe the idea of a supreme God"
It is sometimes depressing to see that theists here find it difficult to see the absurdity in their "logic"
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by HardMirror(m): 7:19am On Mar 03, 2017
Empiree:
Ha i see. If you want to know if he is truly atheist, buy him a plane ticket. When he reaches 35000 above sea level, instruct pilot to nose dive the plane and see how "agentofAllah" would scream God God God to rescue him kiss kiss
I have been I 2 car accidents and I never thought of God. I wonder where this idea comes from. I know atheists that are not scared of death.
Even when I was a kid we nearly had an accident and I was not scared of dying, same with my brother in the vehicle. But others were screaming. I was a christian then. Not everyone is lilly liver
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 7:54am On Mar 03, 2017
Empiree:

can you open a thread on this? I've seen these kinda ideas thrown around a lot and it would be great for it to be a thread on its own

it'll be one of those few threads that both Christians and Muslims would unite in one voice on
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by Tamass: 10:42pm On Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm....Okay oo, I have read comments... May Allah guide us all.
Re: We Are Not Born Atheist by Aipete2(f): 10:52am On Nov 02, 2017
Rilwayne001:
I've been studying kids these days, i wanted to know if really they believe in some sort of supernatural powers or something, then i remember as a kid, i often get scared whenever its dark— it's always like some forces are coming to carry me away, and so because of that, i remember I'm always holding on tightly to my dad whenever its dark,and in Most cases whenever there's no light, what could have warranted this fear? i don't know.

there's this niece or mine that's quite stubborn. she will be 2 by July , although she's not a coward like me as a kid, she doesn't get scared whenever its dark, but she did something that made me conclude that kids believe in some sort of higher forces in our world.

Last week, i was studying in my room, her mum was in her room sleeping, and while she was playing, she just went to the backyard, i could see her from my window, i notice she was going to play with water and so i shouted her name to desist from going there, she couldn't see me, but she knows i was the one — being a stubborn girl, instead of her to go back, she just smiled to my calling and went ahead to play with the water. I shouted at her again, this time, she was just laughing at me. Then i decided to be murmuring like a ghost, this time, she got terrified, she was so scared that she started running back inside. She started crying loudly at the same time and woke her sleeping mum. The mum asked who beat her, she couldn't talk, all she did was hug her.

This got me thinking, this is a girl that can barely talk nor understand clearly what you are saying talkless understand the Idea of a God or satan or any supernatural forces we believe in.

For the record, kids believe the idea of a supreme God and that automatically makes the claim of us being born atheists a wrong notion.

Cc: seun, johnnydon, hahn, akintom, jackbizze, deepsights, pastoraio, sarrasin, agentofAllah
Mtchew
Atheist
So disgusting

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apostle Johnson Suleman Scandal: Accusers And Conspirators Finally Exposed / End Of The Year Prayer Point. / Why I Always Said No Truth In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.