Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,100 members, 7,887,186 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:23 AM

Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? (20314 Views)

The Black Billionaires 2019 - Forbes / Woman Kerosene Black Market Seller Opens Her Own Filling Station (pictures) / Naira Firms On Black Market After Central Bank Action - BDC Traders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by plaetton: 11:04am On Mar 05, 2017
HAH:

Why do we have the reserve? Is it just for fashion, a wise man will keep a percentage of his earning in his account and some to spend for his family day to day needs, this is what the FG is doing now, not everything earned is being used to match fx demand other are saved,

At $55 a barrel Nigeria earns and at production quota of 2M daily we make $110M daily from oil alone less about 40% for the JV, that will leave the nations with about $70M daily which can be split between savings and expenditure.

Nigeria earn it's money in dollars how does it spend it if not by pumping some through the banks in exchange for Naira in order to pay salaries and works.

To me the only people that are not ok with the current measure of pumping some percentage fx earning weekly are pessimist and fx speculators that want te green back to remain high in order to make supernormal profits

The government should be trying to curb fx demand, not matching it.
You can't eat your cake and still have it.

Curbing fx demand and the demand for foreign manufactured goods, and at the same time boosting exports should be the economic policy imperatives, not ad-hoc measures to match fx demand, that has ZERO long term economic value.

I support that users of forex should source their forex at market- determined prices whenever and wherever, not through wasteful government interventions, another word for dollar subsidy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 05, 2017
Firmjudge:

Greed, selfishnss and lack of patroitism from the elite is really a stumbling block..
Wanted to start exportation of benny seed, sheer butter and yams since we have these things in excess here and a tuber could cost as high as 14 to 20 dollars in the international market..
But,
I was given a criteria that even my capital wnt cover..
Talk about suffocation
I am with you on this..

Its truly disheartening..now alot of foreigners think the people should rise up in one voice and scream for change but alas i say again is this possible here? where the political elite use tribalism, and religious hate to separate the masses? and the hunger fueled masses keep falling for this gimmick?

for example look at this imp Mouthgag since morning posting tribalisctic hate posts, yet the political elite whose course it thinks its championing unite and loot the country irrespective of their different tribes? yoruba , igbo and hausa politicians are friends and loot together while a frustrated hungry buffalo like Mouthgag stays hungry avoiding the landlord due to no money to pay rent, is here spreading hate.

Gosh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by HAH: 11:14am On Mar 05, 2017
plaetton:

The government should be trying to curb fx demand, not matching it.
You can't eat your cake and still have it.

Curbing fx demand and the demand for foreign manufactured goods, and at the same time boosting exports should be the economic policy imperatives, not ad-hoc measures to match fx demand, that has ZERO long term economic value.

I support that users of forex should source their forex at market- determined prices whenever and wherever, not through wasteful government interventions, another word for dollar subsidy.
the government is not matching dollar demand but just supplying it because it earns in dollars, if it matches all dollar demand then dollar can be one naira, the government is not in any way subsidizing dollars but giving it at a true rate not rate set by economic saboteurs and speculators cos as it is even if government give dollars at 500 naira they will start selling theirs for 700 because of the demand and supply mismatch.

The government has no choice but to sell dollars to banks since the government needs naira equivalent to spend for local expenses, so selling a portion of what it earns weekly to banks inorder meet its local obligation is a very welcome idea.

My only problem is the supply-demand mismatch cos as it is only the government supply fx into the market, our other exports apart from oil is not good enough to even satisfy 10% of demand, but what the government is doing is good, commendable and can be sustain as long as we sell oil in dollars

4 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Firmjudge(m): 11:37am On Mar 05, 2017
lestat:

Its truly disheartening..now alot of foreigners think the people should rise up in one voice and scream for change but alas i say again is this possible here? where the political elite use tribalism, and religious hate to separate the masses? and the hunger fueled masses keep falling for this gimmick?

for example look at this imp Mouthgag since morning posting tribalisctic hate posts, yet the political elite whose course it thinks its championing unite and loot the country irrespective of their different tribes? yoruba , igbo and hausa politicians are friends and loot together while a frustrated hungry buffalo like Mouthgag stays hungry avoiding the landlord due to no money to pay rent, is here spreading hate.

Gosh

Very appaling state indeed.
Those keyboard warriors are really sick.
Mouthgag will soon realise hatered is a part of him which he development overtime. but it will be too late..
You will never see monickers like mouthgag contributing to content like this..

I think seun should get sub-moderator to recommend people for ban.

This forum is slowly encouraging anf brewing bigotism.

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Mouthgag: 11:46am On Mar 05, 2017
lestat:

Gosh
Let cum gag your mouth
Sick dumbo
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by porozhniy(m): 12:03pm On Mar 05, 2017
I believe a short term intervention by the CBN is the way to go since crude prices are above the 2017 budget benchmark.
Let's all hope that Dangote's refinery comes on stream by Q2 2018, else we are screwed.

3 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 05, 2017
plaetton:

But why do you reasonably think that CBN should roll out $350 per week to defend the Naira( more like SUBSIDIZING dollar purchases for a 'SELECT' group of Nigerians ) ?

For who's benefits, and at what economic costs ?
If our non-oil exports are ramping up as a result of the weak Naira, why do we want CBN to spoil that show ?

If the broad economic policy is to curb imports and boost exports, then a weaker currency is imperative, a sin qua non.
That's economics 101.

Ad-hocism , and the woeful inability to think long term is what kills this country.
Don't be naive, the real value of the naira (something called the Real Exchange Rate) is between 300-350 ₦ per $ and that's exactly why the CBN is holding out at that rate. The present rate is only down to the insidious activities of speculators and once the CBN demonstrates an ability to meet $ demand for a few weeks (which they now can as they've miraculously built up the reserves to about $29b), speculators will pack their bags and leave the Naira alone, then, we'll see the naira settle at its true rate.
Everything now depends on how patient currency hoarders are and how long the CBN can nourish the market, the first to blink losses. If speculators blink first, then the Naira will appreciate further as hoarders offload their stock leading to an oversupply but if the CBN blinks first, something that's sure to happen if the reserves begin to plunge below $25-20billion, then expect the naira to depreciate to at least ₦600 as speculators become enboldened seeing nothing but a hapless Central Bank.
The funniest part of all these is seeing Nigerians curse and cry because the Naira is making gains and they're about to suffer marginal losses! Which way my people? Some are already praying the intervention fails and have already resorted to hoarding, anticipating the CBN's failure. I ask again, which way my people? I thought a stronger Naira is desirable? Have you guys thought of the knock-on effects of a sudden fall in the exchange rate to the wider economy? It might take some time but trust me, a healthier overall economy is way more beneficial than the extra ₦50 you'll make per $.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 12:10pm On Mar 05, 2017
Truth234:
Amoto94 can you space it?

This is a general misconception, the CBN do not withdraw from the Foreign Reserves and in fact has added about $500 million in the last two weeks -- $75 million this week alone.

For the record, the money the CBN is auctioning is in accordance with 2017 budget provision -- official exchange rate of N305 with the oil benchmark pegged at $44 a barrel. Therefore, it is part of N2.2 trillion stipulated in the 2017 budget to come from oil revenue.

The subsidised rate is still above N305/$ official rate, commercial banks are directed not to sell more than 20% above the official rate, which is about N375/$. This fund is needed to fund capital projects in Naira and not dollars. Hence, the exchange.

So whether we can sustain it or not, 2017 budget must be funded, either through loan or revenue generation. Let just pray militants continued to yield to the agreement.

You get sense jare no mind those thinking it won't work not knowing it has been a plan of the Govt to start selling dollars immediately our reserve hit $30billion and that start now..
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 12:16pm On Mar 05, 2017
sholatech:

I really don't see the relationship you trying to enlighten us between the budget & defence of Naira with balance on the reserves. I indicated the defence of the Naira will slow down the growth of our reserves. I still maintain that our Naira is been defended by our foreign reserves & Cbn intervention is from this.

You are wrong here as i can tell you money CBN is pumping into the economy has nothing to do with our reserve, We are generating $127.600.000 daily from crude oil now selling at $58 per barrel..

Well my believe is half of that money will be saved weekly so as to meet the exchange rates demand and the rest added to our reserve..
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 05, 2017
Mouthgag:

Let cum gag your mouth
Sick dumbo

chei, see hunger, suffering, frustration, poverty, unemployment, anger, hatred.

men your village witches carry your matter for head o.

did you do something abominable?

na wa o. oya post your account number here let me send you N200 for agege bread and ewa

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 12:22pm On Mar 05, 2017
iPopAlomo:
This is the question everyone should be asking...

Can the CBN continue to pump $350 million dollars week in, week out...?!!!

If they can... then dollar shouldn't have a problem going back to #199...

But the cabals nko...?!!! won't they hijack it and stack dollars in safes and septic tanks somewhere in their grandpa's house...?!!!

Sure they can even more than that, We are generating about $127.600.000 daily so you should calculate what we can generate in a week and pumping half of that into the market won't affect our reserve. beside They will only sell and get back the money n Naira and will be use to finance the budget..
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by jconsulting(f): 12:23pm On Mar 05, 2017
Let us support this government irrespective of our political , religious and ethnic differences ,I believe they have us at heart kudos to the analysts on this topic.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by sholatech(m): 12:23pm On Mar 05, 2017
Please what is a foreign reserve?

To also make it simple for you, Our dear ISTANDWITHBUHARI, I'm sure you went through the budget that breaks down how Nigeria money(oil sales is major) will be spent. Please show me the page where you saw how Cbn will use these for Meeting forex demand?
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 05, 2017
Firmjudge:

Very appaling state indeed.
Those keyboard warriors are really sick.
Mouthgag will soon realise hatered is a part of him which he development overtime. but it will be too late..
You will never see monickers like mouthgag contributing to content like this..

I think seun should get sub-moderator to recommend people for ban.

This forum is slowly encouraging anf brewing bigotism.

yes oh my brother this s an example of how the political elite unitedly break us apart to ensure continued domination, they instigate the poor like Mouthgag to fuel riots, tribaistic killings and religious attacks so we can continuously be dominated.

If for the next couple of months naira keeps rising steadily and Minister ashola stabilizes power citizens in the north start gettig friendly both religions respecting each other this is not good for them because that way the peple can unitedly rise up and change a governor like El Rufia so they will instigate some northern youths like Mouthgag by telling them the igbos there are looking down on them, now these stupid boys willg and kill an igbo trader, now we have chaos, division, tribalism and religious hate.

Or lets say all of a sudden the igbos and niger delta start to get really close and become friendly all of a sudden this wont sit well with the political elite, quickly they will dispatch touts like Mouthgag there who will suddenly start spreading pro Biafra gathers claiming that the Niger delta belongs to the igbos knowing fully well ths is a lie and it will annoy the Niger delta people who will now start fighting Igbos.

Even in the south west if igbos and yorubas start getting along the political elite dont want this, they will send a governor to suddenly demolish an igbo market knowing well it will further ensure anger and hate between the two tribes.

i could go on and n but my point is the political elite play the poor masses like chess using imps like Mouthgag just to ensure we are divided along tribal and religious lines.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Mouthgag: 12:37pm On Mar 05, 2017
lestat:

chei, see hunger, suffering, frustration, poverty, unemployment, anger, hatred.

men your village witches carry your matter for head o.

did you do something abominable?

na wa o. oya post your account number here let me send you N200 for agege bread and ewa

[img]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/mtbu.gif[/ig]
Lol! Demented osu-alusi illegitimate Jobless troll

Keep living in denial and misery.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by plaetton: 12:40pm On Mar 05, 2017
HAH:
the government is not matching dollar demand but just supplying it because it earns in dollars, if it matches all dollar demand then dollar can be one naira, the government is not in any way subsidizing dollars but giving it at a true rate not rate set by economic saboteurs and speculators cos as it is even if government give dollars at 500 naira they will start selling theirs for 700 because of the demand and supply mismatch.

The government has no choice but to sell dollars to banks since the government needs naira equivalent to spend for local expenses, so selling a portion of what it earns weekly to banks inorder meet its local obligation is a very welcome idea.

My only problem is the supply-demand mismatch cos as it is only the government supply fx into the market, our other exports apart from oil is not good enough to even satisfy 10% of demand, but what the government is doing is good, commendable and can be sustain as long as we sell oil in dollars

I am sorry for your naivety in thinking that it is the government's job to sustain the value of the Naira with commensurate dollar supply. Nothing could be more foolis on the part of the government, and guaranteed to always fail.

The government's job is providing and maintaining policy initiatives that stimulates local productivity and that boosts confidence im the economy and the Naira. A nation's currency is a default measure of per capita productivity, not how much dollars it can sell to banks per week.

Haven't you heard of the forces of demand and supply ?
If it was as simple as you paint it for the government to sustain the value of the Naira through forex sales, then from what they have sold over the years, the dollar and naira should be at parity.

I don't understand why some of you who should know better choose to continually cast blames on invisible speculators ?
Who are these invisible speculators that you conveniently scapegoat for ad-hoc policy failures of the government ?

First of all, there are speculators in every currency.
That's why it is call the Forex MARKET.

It is a $6tr daily market that every country and every financial institution participates in.

Now, in the case of Nigeria, the government's haphazard, flip flop, schizophrenic policies create huge GAPS that inevitably attract and invite currency arbitrage, from the street malams, the businessman, the government officials and Banks, all seeking profit and self-preservation. That is the rule of the marketplace.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by plaetton: 12:50pm On Mar 05, 2017
papiforreal:

Don't be naive, the real value of the naira (something called the Real Exchange Rate) is between 300-350 ₦ per $ and that's exactly why the CBN is holding out at that rate. The present rate is only down to the insidious activities of speculators and once the CBN demonstrates an ability to meet $ demand for a few weeks (which they now can as they've miraculously built up the reserves to about $29b), speculators will pack their bags and leave the Naira alone, then, we'll see the naira settle at its true rate.

Laughing out really loud grin grin

Talk about being naive. undecided

Pls what exactly is the real value of the Naira, your so-called real exchange rate ?
From what manner of arithmetic or mathematical equations did you arrive at this value of N300-500 per $ ?

Was it decreed by imperial Fiat, legislative Fiat or administrative Fiat ?
In what economic universe do you reside or should I ask in what Voodoo school of economics are you an alumnus of ?
grin
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by cptshiver: 1:02pm On Mar 05, 2017
papiforreal:

Everything now depends on how patient currency hoarders are and how long the CBN can nourish the market, the first to blink losses. If speculators blink first, then the Naira will appreciate further as hoarders offload their stock leading to an oversupply but if the CBN blinks first, something that's sure to happen if the reserves begin to plunge below $25-20billion, then expect the naira to depreciate to at least ₦600 as speculators become enboldened seeing nothing but a hapless Central Bank.
The funniest part of all these is seeing Nigerians curse and cry because the Naira is making gains and they're about to suffer marginal losses! Which way my people? Some are already praying the intervention fails and have already resorted to hoarding, anticipating the CBN's failure. I ask again, which way my people? I thought a stronger Naira is desirable? Have you guys thought of the knock-on effects of a sudden fall in the exchange rate to the wider economy? It might take some time but trust me, a healthier overall economy is way more beneficial than the extra ₦50 you'll make per $.

At about 320 to the dollar, Nigeria's real effective exchange rate is closer to 97 which would mean that it is fairly valued at this price. But that is only if you truly believe the official statistics that inflation is close to 18.72%. Of course, this is nonsense. Inflation is much higher than this

That said, the best way to value a country's currency is at a liquid market of willing buyers and sellers. In Nigeria, this is the black market. Every single dollar that is being sold out by the CBN will eventually end up here where it is traded for its "true" value. There is a simple logic to this. The black market is the true market, where supply and demand is accurately gauged. Why should banks agree to sell dollars provided to them by the CBN for less than what they can sell it for at the black market? Why would a foreign investor agree to exchange his USD for Naira for a rate that is lower than what he can obtain at the black market?

This process will continue until the supply of foreign exchange in the black market outstrips its demand.

For now, the CBN is simply playing 2019 politics.

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 05, 2017
Mouthgag:

Lol! Demented osu-alusi illegitimate Jobless troll

Keep living in denial and misery.

Nouthgag if a big fagg hiya hiya ooo
Mouthgag is a big fagg hiya hiya ooo

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by solid3(m): 1:09pm On Mar 05, 2017
sholatech:
I think CBN should have waited till Reserves are up to 36/38 Billion USD before they struck.

Unmet demand is at least 2bn USD. Within one week, Cbn brought out 530 million USD from Reserves to defend the currency. More or less subsidising foreign Travels & foreign education. And some 'Forwards'. And you see, the banks were not even liquid enough to take all that the Cbn offered.

Last week, most people did panicked sales. Now, demand is picking up. Where you have 2bn USD demand & 530m USD supply, what happens?

Hey bro, can u explain more on the bolded above?
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 05, 2017
I don't think it's sustainable, it's more like a knee jerk reaction. As dollar has come down, there will be a surge in demand. Like it or not we are still a dollarized economy. If our exports improve than our imports then we can see the dollar cheque down to 200 sef.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by HAH: 2:00pm On Mar 05, 2017
plaetton:

I am sorry for your naivety in thinking that it is the government's job to sustain the value of the Naira with commensurate dollar supply. Nothing could be more foolish, and guaranteed always fail.

The government's job is providing and maintaining policy initiatives that stimulates local productivity and that boosts confidence im the economy and the Naira. A nation's currency is a default measure of per capita productivity, not how much dollars it can sell to banks per week.

Haven't you heard of the forces of demand and supply ?
If it was as simple as you paint it for the government to sustain the value of the Naira through forex sales, then from what they have sold over the years, the dollar and naira should be at parity.

I don't understand why some of you who should know better choose to continually cast blames on invisible speculators ?
Who are these invisible speculators that you conveniently scapegoat for ad-hoc policy failures of the government ?

First of all, there are speculators in every currency.
That's why it is call the Forex MARKET. Duuuhhhh !!
It is a $6tr daily market that every country and every financial institution participates in.

Now, in the case of Nigeria, the government's haphazard, flip flop, schizophrenic policies create huge GAPS that inevitably attract and invite currency arbitrage, from the street malams, the businessman, the government officials and Banks, all seeking profit and self-preservation. That is the rule of the marketplace.
I thought I was having a matured discourse with responsible person, the words you used has made me place you low, not anyone you see here is a nonentity or a teenager, you should stay in your lane and I stay In mine we belong to different worlds

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by HAH: 2:07pm On Mar 05, 2017
papiforreal:

is people like you I like having discourse with making your point without abuses, kudos

1 Like

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by plaetton: 2:13pm On Mar 05, 2017
HAH:
I thought I was having a matured discourse with responsible person, the words you used has made me place you low, not anyone you see here is a nonentity or a teenager, you should stay in your lane and I stay In mine we belong to different worlds
No doubts, you have misunderstood my post.
My vituperations were against the government's monetary policies, not your support of it.
I apologize if you feel offended.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by InvertedHammer: 3:26pm On Mar 05, 2017
Amoto94:
Forex: CAN CBN SUSTAIN THE BLACK MARKET ONSLAUGHT? ~ By Omoniyi Akinsiju
With the dramatic appreciation of the Naira against the dollar and other major international currencies starting Monday, February 20, there had been shifty discomforts as expressed by many Nigerians despite the unrestrained excitement that greeted the impact of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) recently introduced foreign exchange policy reforms.

Four days after the take-off of the policy, the Naira, at the black market, appreciated exponentially by more than 4% from N525 to a dollar to N480 to a dollar. As at Tuesday, a dollar was exchanging for N445, with even greater prospect of appreciating further against the greenback.

Of course, the market response is a testimony to the multiple layers of measures rolled out by the CBN to salvage a hitherto savaged foreign exchange market where the local currency had been on a free fall, especially at the black market.

Expectedly, the naira had been severely pummelled in the forex segment of the economy in direct consequence of an acute shortage of organically sourced dollars and a slowed down flow of the greenback from foreign investors.

However, the CBN, had through an insistence on managing the float of the Naira against other currencies sustained the naira/dollar rate at N305 to a dollar at the interbank forex market. This had drawn different hues of flaks from some commentators who insisted on a free float of the Naira even as some other commentators rallied to the support of the CBN, defending the apex bank managed float of the country's forex regime on basis of the lean foreign exchange earnings as a result of the combination of vastly reduced crude oil production and internationally compelled low price of crude oil.

Things started taking a perceptible turn for the good in November 2016 when militant activities in the oil producing Niger Delta area started petering out while the collaborative position of the OPEC and non OPEC member countries led by Russia, fired crude oil price over the $50 per barrel mark.

This was the needed elixir the Nigerian economy desperately needed, especially at a time inflation rate was looking runaway and productive activities were grounding to excruciatingly painful halt. Thankfully, the crude oil price spike and increased price provided the juice to the country's dwindling foreign reserve which had been decimated to as low as $23billion. The reverse of fortune soon commenced the consistent accretion to the foreign reserve. Within a twelve week period, starting November, 2016 to February, 2017, the foreign reserve added more than $8billion and hugged the $30billion psychological mark.

Apparently, this provided the impetus to the CBN to stream the 'meet all demand' measure. So now, the Personal and Business Travel Allowance that had hitherto had peripheral access to the foreign reserve, and payment of school fees plus medical treatment abroad were all brought in to banking circle thus vastly reducing the pressure points that led to the flourishing of the black market.

This is even as the CBN pumped more dollars into the interbank forex market at $6million daily intervention in the spot segment of the market. This compares with the miserly $1.5million daily intervention it used to undertake. This, combined with the clearing out of more than four billion dollar backlog of demand through its shorter 60 days maturing future market segment, were enough reasons for the Naira to start a sharp climb up against the dollar.

But now, a new concern seems to have emerged; can this new Naira virility be sustained? The first response to this is predicated on keeping the peace in the Niger Delta. It would seem the Federal Government has been able to persuade the Niger Delta of its seriousness to dialogue and impact a developmental agenda in the area.

In the matter of sustaining this marginal oil price increase, there's a growing international confidence that price of oil per barrel may hit the $60 mark. This is because critical stakeholders in the collaboration to cut down on oil between OPEC and non OPEC countries have started demanding for a push back of the six month due date for the expiration of the collaboration.

Iraq has been particularly loud in the call to extend the time period for scaling down national supplies for another six months with eyes set on $60 per barrel. Iraq is being joined by oil producing giant, Total, in this call. The prospect of this call being endorsed is said to be potent and so guarantees sustained high price.

As it were, it would seem this new forex regime is sustainable. CBN decision to heavily fund the supply side of the forex market is truly a welcome policy, however, substantial credit should be ascribed to the emerging culture of transparency and integrity that is defining government responsibility and service delivery.

Akinsiju, Public Policy Analyst, writes from Abuja.

It is a lost battle. CBN is only treating the symptoms but not the disease. Once the euphoria is over, naira will continue its trip towards N600/$. By all indications, the only hope for naira and other currencies against the US dollars will come from a shift in monetary policy by US. Globally, US dollar has appreciated very well against a basket of currencies. No currency is immune to that. The problem with naira is akin to sending a lightweight boxer into a heavyweight competition.
In such a scenario, CBN is playing a cornerman. Sure they will give the naira water and rub down during breaks, but once back in the ring, it will be beaten black and blue again.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by HAH: 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2017
plaetton:

No doubts, you have misunderstood my post.
My vituperations were against the government's monetary policies, not your support of it.
I apologize if you feel offended.
Apology accepted, that is the spirit,let have constructive discussion that we learn from each other. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by Mayflowa(m): 3:44pm On Mar 05, 2017
sholatech:

I really don't see the relationship you trying to enlighten us between the budget & defence of Naira with balance on the reserves. I indicated the defence of the Naira will slow down the growth of our reserves. I still maintain that our Naira is been defended by our foreign reserves & Cbn intervention is from this.

In drafting public policy, you have to consider all the externalities. The goal here is to ease the suffering of the people in those educational and travelling sector. Like it or not. Their demand has escalated the depreciation of naira to this level that a further free fall will resonate in the who of the economy. So this trade off must be made. What is the opportunity cost of shoring up the reserve? These are important economic question?
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by chukwuwike2ny(m): 4:14pm On Mar 05, 2017
Hello,

Do you have a Volkwagen Vanagon bus? Are you looking for an Honest person to manage your bus? Or are you intrested in getting into passsenger Transport Business?

Owning a 14 sitter Volkwagen Vanagon can be a money spinner if managed by Experienced. And Honest Person.

I have 1 that is mine and 2 others that I manage for people, and business is doing very good.

I thought I can earn more if I increase the number of buses I'm managing. So this is an opportunity for anyone who own or want to own a 14 sitter Volkwagen Vanagon.

Ajah-lekki is where my buses are plying and that's where all others will be plying too.

And like already stated, maintenance is on us and we pay N100K per Month

Or make guaranteed 5% ROI every month + 10% Principal/Capital Amortization/Repayment
Per month when you Part-finance the purchase of a bus.

This is the best offer you can get anywhere!!!

My contacts:
Click2ny@gmail.com
BBPin:2895029
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by 989900: 4:48pm On Mar 05, 2017
papiforreal:

We are our worst enemy.
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by shalomblue: 5:22pm On Mar 05, 2017
CBN is not planning to pump dollars forever into the economy,that will be suicidal.
The whole concept is to frustrate spectators,fill the whole place with dollars, bring down the rate and then 'float' or devalue naira to about 400 naira.
Not until we get things right,we will always be going through one fx policy or the other.
In the meantime,its dinner time for the banks and a great opportunity for the super rich to use all our money to pay
School fees and travel allowance
Re: Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? by mamajaz(f): 5:32pm On Mar 05, 2017
lifestyle1:
If they can sustain this for the next 10 months, speculators/hoarders will go back to village.
grin
lifestyle1:
If they can sustain this for the next 10 months, speculators/hoarders will go back to village.
I so like this prophecy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote Tops Forbes’ 23 African Billionaires List For The 7th Time / Jaiz Bank PLC (Islamic Bank) Opens For Business / Marilyn-Joan Obiora Of Diamond Bank Stole 125 Million Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.