Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,951 members, 7,973,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 12:48 PM

EXCLUSIVE: How NLNG Resisted Pressure To Release $2.1bn ‘for 2015 Elections’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EXCLUSIVE: How NLNG Resisted Pressure To Release $2.1bn ‘for 2015 Elections’ (356 Views)

How Buhari Resisted Urge To Rig Anambra Election – Lai Mohammed / How Jonathan’s Government, PDP Tried To Manipulate 2015 Elections – Jega / I Resisted Pressure To Charge Buhari With Certificate Forgery - Adoke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EXCLUSIVE: How NLNG Resisted Pressure To Release $2.1bn ‘for 2015 Elections’ by JFK68: 10:18am On Mar 06, 2017
Some “very senior officials” of the Goodluck Jonathan administration mounted intense pressure on the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) Limited to pay dividends and its 2014 company income tax and to government coffers just before the 2015 general election, TheCable has learnt.

But the then managing director of NLNG, Babs Omotowa, vehemently resisted the pressure and still believes he would have been sacked if Jonathan had been re-elected.

The payments were later made after President Muhammadu Buhari assumed office and shared as “bailout funds” to the three tiers of government to clear salary arrears.

The pressure to pay the dividends and the tax started in January 2015 — about one month to the initial February 14 date for the presidential election — and was intensified till April just before the elections eventually held.

Subsequent revelations have shown how the office of the national security adviser requested for and got $2.1 billion from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) around the same time.

A substantial chunk of the payments has now been traced to the financing of the elections.

Omotowa, now vice president of Shell Upstream at The Hague, told the story of the pressure he came under in an interview for a book on the history of the NLNG currently in the works.

COMPANY INCOME TAX

“My response when I was first asked in January 2015 was clear: we could not be in a position to (pay) and I was thus subsequently invited to Abuja on a number of occasions to meet with key officials in an effort to persuade me to pay the money,” Omotowa told his interviewers.

“I maintained same position through those discussions based on two perspectives: One, we could not make any payments from accounts that had not been audited by external auditors and approved by the board. Two, by legislation, we had till June, so why the pressure.

“This position was not viewed positively by the government officials. So, it was escalated and higher level government officials (ministerial) subsequently spoke with me on it. I explained and reaffirmed that we were not in a position to pay earlier than June, for those same two perspectives.

“These conversations continued through February and the elections got postponed, subsequent to which the request intensified. By April, just before the postponed elections were to hold, we held our board meeting where the board approved the audited accounts.”

The NNPC holds 49% of NLNG’s shares on behalf of the federal government.

NLNG’s deputy managing directors are seconded from the NNPC.

Thus, on the board, NNPC is represented by the NLNG DMD.

INTENSIFIED PRESSURE

“Immediately after that board meeting, the pressure from the senior government officials intensified since that was one of the reasons I had indicated for not making the payment earlier,” he said.

“But I reminded them of the second reason which was that by law, payment was with a June deadline, and as such I maintained we still had to wait until June before payment as provided for in the (CIT Act).

“Subsequently, the elections held in April; and rather than wane, having lost the election, the pressure intensified, albeit the tone changed, as I was now being requested to pay the money and that interest sums that would have accrued until June, if we had kept the money in our bank, would be refunded, to keep us whole. They highlighted urgent need to source money to pay fuel subsidies, etc.”

Omotowa did not budge.

“Obviously, this was not an easy situation and I could be fired, etc, because from the government’s perspective, I was stopping them from laying hands on a huge amount of money, especially at a time they needed money desperately. (But) I kept all shareholders informed of the situation.”

NLNG’s MDs are seconded from Shell Gas B.V, which owns 25.6% of NLNG’s shares. Total LNG Nigeria Limited owns 15% and Eni International (N.A.) N.V.S.a.r.l owns the remaining 10.4%.

In May 2015, Buhari became Nigeria’s president.

In June 2015, which was when Omotowa had promised to pay, he did.

More at thecable https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-nlng-resisted-pressure-release-2-1bn-2015-elections

Re: EXCLUSIVE: How NLNG Resisted Pressure To Release $2.1bn ‘for 2015 Elections’ by DozieInc(m): 10:23am On Mar 06, 2017
They wanted to eat their final cake before leaving office. Na so we for hear story untop $2.1b.

1 Like

Re: EXCLUSIVE: How NLNG Resisted Pressure To Release $2.1bn ‘for 2015 Elections’ by shukuokukobambi: 10:27am On Mar 06, 2017
Right thing you did Babs. Principled and morally strong men are made of this hue cool

Omoluabi representing very well grin
Re: EXCLUSIVE: How NLNG Resisted Pressure To Release $2.1bn ‘for 2015 Elections’ by giantstrides(m): 10:31am On Mar 06, 2017
The corruption level in 2015 is mind boggling, we are still suffering the effects .

(1) (Reply)

About Buhari's Health / Ondo Governor, Akeredolu, Freezes LG Council Accounts / My Govt Has Not Borrowed A Dime From Any Bank — Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.