Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,162 members, 7,887,385 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:02 AM

10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken (69101 Views)

12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures) / 12 Beautiful Resorts In Nigeria Where You Can Enjoy Your Honeymoon / 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by legicash: 2:24am On Mar 08, 2017
warri no dey carry last

now request for an outstation,courier service, full day/half day for cab within lagos or outside lagos at great prices!

0 8 1 0 5 8 3 2 1 9 3

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by gerg: 2:34am On Mar 08, 2017
martineverest:
are u from delta aor edo?...NO...i am an EDO/DELTA BREED.born in one,schooled in the other.

Edo state has more languages than delta.......a village in edo has more potential to speak more than one language than those in delta..my mother is ishan,they have huge variety of ishan.its pidgin that bound every edo tribes together......in delta,its only 'edo speaking' part ,urhobo,that speak full pidgin.....the ijaw and itshekiri speak their languages first,while the aniomas speak ibos first and pidgin far less....i was in edo 2 weeks ago,i could count the number of ppl that spoke their languagesothers rocked pidgin.....
Point of correction, Anioma doesn't speak Igbo. Even all Enuani don't speak the same. We speak pidgin in Anioma because we don't have a central form of speaking. likewise other parts of Delta. When an Ika and an Enuani meet, they don't speak Igbo, what we speak is pidgin because nobody wants to speak in the other's language. and you're wrong.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by swizzdre(m): 2:50am On Mar 08, 2017
Lokoja's official language is pidgin, some don't even understand any other language

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by CHARLOE(m): 2:55am On Mar 08, 2017
Ovokoo:

This is exactly why it was included just to make up the numbers. Which major cities do you think can replace Owerri in the 10th position?
Sapele suppose dey number 2 if not 1. I was born & bred in warri but i cut for saphy pidgin!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by math2000: 3:48am On Mar 08, 2017
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 4:48am On Mar 08, 2017
Heavance:
All cities in the south south occupy 1-9...
Warri, Ughelli, Sapele, Asaba, full PH, Benin (B-side), Yenagoa....

Ibadan should stay out of that list, please, abeg, e jo, biko.

Well said.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Probz(m): 5:11am On Mar 08, 2017
ezeagu:

I've been telling people this and they've been doubting me.

See: https://www.nairaland.com/3484784/real-originator-these-popular-words/4#51990394

Probz
Was there any need to drag my name into this?
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Teacher1776(m): 5:17am On Mar 08, 2017
Ovokoo:

Bayelsa is not a city. Yenagoa is already on the list. As far as adding Iom goes, i restricted the list to major cities else about 5 towns in Delta state such as Ughelli, Sapele etc would have made the list. Ibadan and Owerri are really just there to make up the list.

which Ibadan? The same Ibadan where they reply u in Yoruba even when u speak to the person in Pidgin? Remove it from the list joor.

And is it not the same Owerri where bus preachers and and traders announce their businesses in Igbo language, assuming we all speak Igbo?
Towns like Makurdi, Jos and Lokoja will thrive better in that list than Owerri and Ibadan

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Rozaystunna(m): 6:07am On Mar 08, 2017
Built2last:
Most Igbos based in the east are not good with pidgin English.

I disagree with Owerri on the list
fukk you
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by paulavon: 6:18am On Mar 08, 2017
harizonal123:
Warri, Sapele, Benin are 123 for me in that order. I put Sapele ahead of Benin cos they don't make use of their local dialect there unlike Benin u see people speaking beinn everywhere. In pH they speak pidgin,I agree but a very simple and diluted form of it

Guy you have said it all. It is sad to see people mention Lagos, PH, Abuja,Owerri, when it comes to Pidgin.Lagos wants to claim top in everything even when they know they stand no chance. When you hear I Go Die speak pidgin and you hear Seyi law or someone from PH that is when you know who speak the real Pidgin. Lagos population does not matter, a small city like Sapele speaks one of the best Pidgin in Nigeria.Effurun/Ekpan are on another level.Warri should come top, followed by Sapele,Effurun and Benin.All other cities are not worthy of mention as far Pidgin is concern.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by pinkygurl(f): 6:22am On Mar 08, 2017
Lagos should not be on this list.if lokoja is not included.op has never been to lokoja.
The post also did not say 10MEGA citiespidgin is mostly spoken.Thus SAPELE should be in this list.MEGA CITY NI.MINI CITY Ko.
ANY POST ABT PIDGIN ENGLISH WITHOUT SAPELE D MOTHER OF EVERYTN PIDGIN.B4 WARRI TI TAKE OVER IS DEAD.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by pinkygurl(f): 6:26am On Mar 08, 2017
WHERE IS SAPELE AND BENIN AND LOKOJA RANKING IN THIS LIST? shocked grin
IGNORAMUS POST
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by UnknownT: 6:31am On Mar 08, 2017
OoniOfIfe:

What's the meaning of MAVO?
how are you?
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 6:32am On Mar 08, 2017
martineverest:
are u from delta aor edo?...NO...i am an EDO/DELTA BREED.born in one,schooled in the other.

Edo state has more languages than delta.......a village in edo has more potential to speak more than one language than those in delta..my mother is ishan,they have huge variety of ishan.its pidgin that bound every edo tribes together......in delta,its only 'edo speaking' part ,urhobo,that speak full pidgin.....the ijaw and itshekiri speak their languages first,while the aniomas speak ibos first and pidgin far less....i was in edo 2 weeks ago,i could count the number of ppl that spoke their languagesothers rocked pidgin.....

And you're proud of it

1 Like

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by InvestinOwerri(m): 6:39am On Mar 08, 2017
Built2last:
Most Igbos based in the east are not good with pidgin English.

I disagree with Owerri on the list
Owerri & Ibadan should be removed from that list immediately. I live in Owerri & I have been to Ibadan. In the former pidgin is only widely spoken in the higher institutions that dot the city while in the streets, markets or offices, it is strictly English or Igbo at the ratio 30/70. Yoruba is predominantly spoken in Ibadan, whether in the streets, markets or offices! I had a hard time communicating with the locals when I went there. They always think that everybody knows yoruba & many cant speak either English or pidgin!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 6:43am On Mar 08, 2017
aewhydot:
Op av u ever been 2 Lokoja?
pidgin is more popular in lokoja than owerri and ibadan combined.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by ruggedized1: 6:43am On Mar 08, 2017
OP, your report has been spoilt with the mention of Owerre. Owerre is at best a local town filled with local poorly unpaid civil servants that only speak their local terrible Igbo dialect that the core Igbos can't even understand. Owerre does not have people from other states living in it except 100% locals. Nobody visits Owerre as it has nothing to offer anybody except that the town is filled 100% with cheap commercial se.x hawkers and armed robbers that harass people.

Ovokoo:
In Nigeria's multi ethnic society, we have come to embrace pidgin English to be able to communicate effectively with one another. The use of pidgin in different Nigerian cities vary due to several variables. So, these are the cities in Nigeria wehre pidgin engish is most spoken.

1. Warri: Warri is reputed as the capital of pidgin English in Nigeria and there’s word going around that pidgin English actually started there. We’re not sure of that but what we’re sure of is the fact that pidgin made in warri is a delight to other pidgin speakers throughout the country. Pidgin Englsh has eclipsed other languages such as Urhobo, Isoko, Ijaw, Itsekiri which are indigenous to Warri and it's environs.

2. Port-hacourt: It is not surprising that port-hacourt is in the number 2 position considering the fact that the state that houses the city is made up of several ethnic groups like the Ikwerres, Ijaws, Igbos, Ogonis and pidgin English is an easier way for a lot of people to communicate with one another.

3. Lagos: Lagos is reputed as one of the most cosmopolitan cities not just in Nigeria but Africa. Despite the fact that English is the predominant languages being used in the state of excellence, especially in official capacities, pidgin English is one way for the different ethnic groups that call Lagos home can effectively communicate to one another and is has arguable surpassed the ethnic Yoruba language in terms of use.

4. Benin: The ancient city of Benin just like it’s neighbour, Warri is a home of pidgin English and people who live in Benin speak it so well due to the convergence of different tribes in the ancient kingdom.

5. Yenagoa: The capital of Bayelsa state despite being an almost all Ijaw speaking is reputed as one of the places in Nigeria with a strong Pidgin English base. This may e unconnected with the fact that it is sandwiched by states with different ethnicities.

6. Abuja: Abuja represents the crème de la crème of Nigerian cities and despite how posh a lot of people tend to appear, you cannot take away pidgin English from a city that refers to itself as the city of unity. The city is represented by people from different backgrounds ranging from Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Efik/Ibibio, Igala, Egbira, Idoma and so on.

7. Calabar: The major language spoken in Calabar is efik but due to the fact that cross river state is a multi ethnic state, there;s an adoption of pidgin English by a lot of these people who live in Nigeria’s first capital city.

8. Asaba: Asaba has grown from a small Igbo town on the western side of the Niger to what is seeming as a conglomeration of not just Igbos from different parts but for people from different parts of Delta state who have to adopt pidgin English to be able to communicate effectively.

9. Ibadan: The reputed largest city in west Africa is a hub of modern day Yorubanism. It’s a city that reflects what the Yorubas have been able to do for themselves and this has attracted people from all over the country to add their flavour to the city. So, whenever you find yourself in Ibadan, apart from the dominant Yoruba language, you’ll see people communicating in urbanized pidgin English.
[s]
10. Owerri: Owerri, which is often reputed as the las vegas of Nigeria is a tourist hotbed for people from different parts of southern Nigeria who want to escape the busy life in places like Port-hacourt and Lagos and have a nice time in Owerri. It’s also the city that boasts of one of the largest number of tertiary schools in Nigeria and has attracted people from cosmopolitan backgrounds from all over the country, so it’s no surprise really that pidgin English is almost as common as Igbo language.[/s]

Source: http://ovoko.com.ng/top10-nigerian-cities-pidgin-english-spoken/

3 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by KillerBeauty(f): 6:47am On Mar 08, 2017
Seriously did Ibadan just make the of pidgin English speakers. Can you enter a commercial bus or an okada man or a market woman see you and the first thing start speaking pigdin with you? Never they only speak Yoruba so please op remove Ibadan from that list.

And you even put Lagos before Benin. Lagos that bus conductor always speak Yoruba to their passengers. No bus conductor can ever try to speak Benin language to its passenger in Benin unless he is not ready for business.

Also people in owerri and most IBO land speak IBO more than pidgin. In fact they speak correct English more than pidgin

3 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Drienzia: 6:55am On Mar 08, 2017
martineverest:
mtcheww..ogbeni goan sidan....even who u epp,u don baff is a binin slang....we have been using it before olamide popularised it......pidgin in lagos is rubbish
WHO u EPP... Na warri song o. Shun bebe...

1 Like

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Drienzia: 6:56am On Mar 08, 2017
martineverest:
my own list:

.BENIN
:WARRI
:SAPELE
:UGHELLI
:PORTHARCOURT
LAGOS

others are not worth it
Ur head de shake abi? Fear no catch u put Warri for 2nd? Warri na the centre of pidgin, no need arguing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by aewhydot: 6:59am On Mar 08, 2017
Topman0001:

I served in lokoja during my NYSC, some people speak pidgin but we have plenty other languages too that are widely spoken: Hausa, igala and Ebira most especially.

Did you also realized that pidgin is their lingua franca? If u didn't, it means u r not very observant
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by tollytexy(m): 7:00am On Mar 08, 2017
kuuljay:
are you high? Am in Enugu right now and I can tell you 95% of communications in Enugu is in Igbo,
no vex jare . i was high last night. Are u happy now? Lol
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by LadyH(f): 7:16am On Mar 08, 2017
Ovokoo:

I needed to add one city from the east and one from the west, hence the reason for Owerri and Ibadan.
There was really no need. Ngwa look for a northern city and add too.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by LadyH(f): 7:17am On Mar 08, 2017
KillerBeauty:
Seriously did Ibadan just make the of pidgin English speakers. Can you enter a commercial bus or an okada man or a market woman see you and the first thing start speaking pigdin with you? Never they only speak Yoruba so please op remove Ibadan from that list.

And you even put Lagos before Benin. Lagos that bus conductor always speak Yoruba to their passengers. No bus conductor can ever try to speak Benin language to its passenger in Benin unless he is not ready for business.

Also people in owerri and most IBO land speak IBO more than pidgin. In fact they speak correct English more than pidgin
Well said madam. Everything well said.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by TheMOBag: 7:28am On Mar 08, 2017
Ibadan??, lol how many people dey speak pidgin in that ewedu city

1 Like

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:32am On Mar 08, 2017
Ovokoo:

I needed to add one city from the east and one from the west, hence the reason for Owerri and Ibadan.

You don't need to add one city from the easy. This is not federal character.
Your list could have stopped by 9.
Writing false stuffs to 'make up' a list can make it invalid and untrustworthy
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Uniquejames(m): 7:33am On Mar 08, 2017
folarinmiles:
What of maiduguri
Are you seriously serious?
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by erico2k2(m): 7:49am On Mar 08, 2017
martineverest:
my guy,EDO state is number one pidgin state in nigeria...no one,not even delta is close to edo.........every nooks and cranny of edo speak pidgin....the edo north u talked about speak more pidgin than lagos....urobosare the only ppl that compete with edos...ijaws and itshekiris are close,but they speak their native tongues first...aniomas are not even counted in delta...edo north has the one of the highest concentration of pidgin in naija
For yoy own church mind you k ow say nah lie U just dey lie 4 yoyrsef .
1 Warri
2 sapele
3 Benin (not Edo)
4 PH
5 Lasgidis
6 ABJ
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by erico2k2(m): 7:52am On Mar 08, 2017
pinkygurl:
WHERE IS SAPELE AND BENIN AND LOKOJA RANKING IN THIS LIST? shocked grin
IGNORAMUS POST
The list wrong
1 warri
2 sapele
3 the rest
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Theelove(f): 7:55am On Mar 08, 2017
na wah oh....benin na number 4 keh? Dem don still sly us again....
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Heavance(m): 8:00am On Mar 08, 2017
nathpope:

Wetin dey wory u? U think say baba moshudi and iya kafaya no dey sabi speak pidgin ni?
Enta market mk u hear correct ibadan pidgin..
grin. grin grin
Except na joke you dey joke..
I no hear one single pidgin from anybody there, all through service.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Truck Moving Damaged Osinbajo's Helicopter Spoilt In Kogi (photos) / Ariel View Of Ibadan Explosion before and after(picture) / See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.