Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,312 members, 7,943,761 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 12:30 AM

Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories (2416 Views)

FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities / Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU / Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 6:43pm On Mar 08, 2017
Nowadays, if you happen to be an academic researcher you will discover the trends by which most Nigerian universities are publishing huge numbers of research papers on "many Trashy and unverified publishers ". What amazes me most is on how our university professors are publishing as many as 30-40 papers yearly to either gain promotion or increase their academic egos. Then you asked? Are these papers of international standard? Funny enough, most of these papers appears in so many junks international publishers with fake impact factors that will make you think they are of high quality, but when you read through, they are all trash!

Our mistakes

What If I told you that 90% of Nigerian journals online are embedded with plagiarism, junks and verbatim. How do I know this? The truth is that many of our universities cannot distinguish between plagiarism, originality and verbatim (I will explain this in my next articles). To buttress my points, I have published more than 15 well cited academic journals that can be found on "google scholars and other common open access site's but unfortunately, only 2 of those papers actually meet the requisite standard of a "proper journal", others were rejected by many indigenous universities abroad for plagiarism and not meeting international standard. I know many will be quick to highlight the word "plagiarism from the text, but if I ask many what plagiarism actually is, I won't be surprised if I got a response of "copying others eoples work".

But far from it, Plagiarism is more than that, which is the greatest mistake we are making here. Copying other people's work is plagiarism but it is far more than that in the context of research (I will talk about it on my next articles).
At a certain time, I was arguing with one of the editors in a popular university in Australia about what I understood as plagiarism before I was calmly schooled with facts, analysis, contents on what it actually was, that made me realize my complete ignorance on the subject matter.

Many at times when I Read most thesis, journals online by a Nigerian author, I feel bad on the quality of their works. In fact, if am to be a lecturer in most Nigerian universities, many student will fail their final year project. Universities abroad are now making use of a powerful anti-plagiarism software called "Turnitin" to checkmate plagiarism or verbatim among students. When an assignment is given, it must be submitted online through their school website embedded with the powerful software to checkmate "irregularities ". Hence, any student guilty of plagiarism are either rusticated, suspended, payment of fine or outright failure. Nigeria need to grow up!

Many university lecturers are lazy

The policy of promoting university lecturers with the highest numbers of papers is destroying our education and the quality of papers published. Have we ever care to check the quality of their works before promotion? Do we bother to investigate the impact factor, duration of acceptance, pedigree of the editors etc of the online publishers accepting such work? What is their ranking, is their name among the internationals listed publisher a? What significance does such papers bring to the academic environment? What is the contribution to knowledge? Is there any presentation of such paper to a selected audience before accepting it as a mode of promotion? The fact that the person is of high knowledge is not a guarantee for a quality work. Our academic environment needs a revolution!

Have you ever tried to examine most research title of our authors? It is nothing new but a topic that had been previously researched upon more than a million times elsewhere. A close look on the paper will show no traces of "contribution to knowledge " but a plagiarized and outdated findings. Nigeria with a mitigated problems need a problem solving research work geared across inter-discipline and academic context and not a "large base research work with no significance!!

Kinibigdeal

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 08, 2017
hmmm... interesting
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Eddygourdo(m): 8:11pm On Mar 08, 2017
Mr man if truly you are a researcher in nigeria, you wwill understandd how difficult it is to publish a paaper of repute due to lack of certain factors. Don't blame everything on the so called lazy lecturers. There is an international bias against black research done in third wworld countries. Only papers in humanities, mathematics and the likes can be valued here. Note that this research fraudd you mentioned is more prevalent in many other climes than nigeria, if you really an ardent researcher, you will attest to what I have said

3 Likes

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Nobody: 9:12pm On Mar 08, 2017
In Covenant university I know that 'Turnitin' is well used and the promotion requirement I think is more about Citation than Volume. As regards ur last paragraph I agree completely. It seems what we are doin in Nigeria is regurgitating Knowledge. I picked up a concept from CU a while ago which I believe all Nigerian unis should adopt. And it's called 'Glocal' coined from the words global and local. The idea is to produce Journals that are of immense Local relevance that I meets up with international Standards and would be published in Reputable First Quartile Journals.

1 Like

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2017
Bro, there is nothing like international bias when it comes to research work. The quality of your work is what matters. I can refer you to a repute publisher that accept quality works from black authors
Eddygourdo:
Mr man if truly you are a researcher in nigeria, you wwill understandd how difficult it is to publish a paaper of repute due to lack of certain factors. Don't blame everything on the so called lazy lecturers. There is an international bias against black research done in third wworld countries. Only papers in humanities, mathematics and the likes can be valued here. Note that this research fraudd you mentioned is more prevalent in many other climes than nigeria, if you really an ardent researcher, you will attest to what I have said
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 10:34pm On Mar 08, 2017
Both citations and volume is not a good requirement for promotion. If you publish your papers in an cheap 'open access' journal, an sundry can have access to them. If Turnitin is used in covenant university, thats a welcome development but i will like to know if it is used for assignment or research work only
Statsocial:
In Covenant university I know that 'Turnitin' is well used and the promotion requirement I think is more about Citation than Volume. As regards ur last paragraph I agree completely. It seems what we are doin in Nigeria is regurgitating Knowledge. I picked up a concept from CU a while ago which I believe all Nigerian unis should adopt. And it's called 'Glocal' coined from the words global and local. The idea is to produce Journals that are of immense Local relevance that I meets up with international Standards and would be published in Reputable First Quartile Journals.

1 Like

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Eddygourdo(m): 10:47pm On Mar 08, 2017
kinibigdeal:
Bro, there is nothing like international bias when it comes to research work. The quality of your work is what matters. I can refer you to a repute publisher that accept quality works from black authors
in what field. Science and engineering ? You must be kidding. What contributions can an african do in his third world country that will survive all the scrutiny.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 10:56pm On Mar 08, 2017
Both! You have to change your mindset bro
Eddygourdo:
in what field. Science and engineering ? You must be kidding. What contributions can an african do in his third world country that will survive all the scrutiny.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 08, 2017
kinibigdeal:
Both citations and volume is not a good requirement for promotion. If you publish your papers in an cheap 'open access' journal, an sundry can have access to them. If Turnitin is used in covenant university, thats a welcome development but i will like to know if it is used for assignment or research work only
Well I know that some reputable foreign universities recently scrapped the use of citation and volume of research work as criteria for promotion. However, I can't seem to remember the reason(s) for the move. But I would like to ask, what criteria would you rather use for promotion instead of research work?
Truth be told i think it's easy to differentiate between crappy and quality research simply by using indices as provided on Researchgate for instance E.g Citations by Country and Citation by University. For instance a conference paper submitted by a lecturer in CU as at Oct 2016 as garnered about 60,000 reads already with the highest reads coming from Nigeria>USA>India in that order - this is a strong pointer to the value of the work and i believe should be allowed to contribute to as persons promotion in the academia.
As regards Turnitin. The university mandated all departments to use it for our final year project work which was done. However, the major emphasis was for ppl who were going to publish their works in Journals. Also, i know some lecturers request that an assignment must go through turnitin but i don't believe it was a university-wide policy to mandate assignment go through turnitin. However, things could have changed by now as i only graduated in 2015.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by LLSAINT(m): 11:17pm On Mar 08, 2017
I concur with your position but I must stress that when you have half-baked lecturers, you will produce same as students. I have attended Dissertation defence for Ph.Ds and their presentations were alarming and yet, they were awarded. The question is, how can such lecturers impact/lecture students? We used to have exchange of lecturers in those days but now .
I think, the problems are multifaceted. First, there is the lack of fund to sponsor research work in Nigeria. Second, most persons in the academic setting are there because there is no job not because they love the profession. Third, there is the unavailability/scarcity of working/reference materials for research. I can go on and on but they all boil down to the faulty system/structure we found ourselves. smiley

1 Like

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 7:30am On Mar 09, 2017
Statsocial:

Well I know that some reputable foreign universities recently scrapped the use of citation and volume of research work as criteria for promotion. However, I can't seem to remember the reason(s) for the move. But I would like to ask, what criteria would you rather use for promotion instead of research work?
Truth be told i think it's easy to differentiate between crappy and quality research simply by using indices as provided on Researchgate for instance E.g Citations by Country and Citation by University. For instance a conference paper submitted by a lecturer in CU as at Oct 2016 as garnered about 60,000 reads already with the highest reads coming from Nigeria>USA>India in that order - this is a strong pointer to the value of the work and i believe should be allowed to contribute to as persons promotion in the academia.
As regards Turnitin. The university mandated all departments to use it for our final year project work which was done. However, the major emphasis was for ppl who were going to publish their works in Journals. Also, i know some lecturers request that an assignment must go through turnitin but i don't believe it was a university-wide policy to mandate assignment go through turnitin. However, things could have changed by now as i only graduated in 2015.

You have said a lot, am not against the use of research work for promotion. Far from it, my query is only on the quality of work. Do you know you can have a million citations and yet your paper is not in comformity with international standard? You have actually highlighted a key requirements, the country where people are citing your papers, the reputations of the school referencing your work is key to a standard work. Most open access journals are usually cited in Asia, middle east and few from south American countries. I actually have two of my papers on 'researchgate' too. I think i terms of quality paper, covenant university is coming up! I have a paper am planning to submit to them online

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 7:42am On Mar 09, 2017
You actually just summarized the problem in a simple text. But i wont agree on the issue of funding, it will shock you to note that the federal government of Nigeria through the minister of education are budgeting a certain sum yearly into our educational system for 'research' but they keep making us believe 'research' is being underfund! With the once they are getting, are we getting a quality work? Many of our lecturers dont understand the tenets of research work, some cant even write any without plagiarism
LLSAINT:
I concur with your position but I must stress that when you have half-baked lecturers, you will produce same as students. I have attended Dissertation defence for Ph.Ds and their presentations were alarming and yet, they were awarded. The question is, how can such lecturers impact/lecture students? We used to have exchange of lecturers in those days but now .
I think, the problems are multifaceted. First, there is the lack of fund to sponsor research work in Nigeria. Second, most persons in the academic setting are there because there is no job not because they love the profession. Third, there is the unavailability/scarcity of working/reference materials for research. I can go on and on but they all boil down to the faulty system/structure we found ourselves. smiley
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 09, 2017
kinibigdeal:

You have said a lot, am not against the use of research work for promotion. Far from it, my query is only on the quality of work. Do you know you can have a million citations and yet your paper is not in comformity with international standard? You have actually highlighted a key requirements, the country where people are citing your papers, the reputations of the school referencing your work is key to a standard work. Most open access journals are usually cited in Asia, middle east and few from south American countries. I actually have two of my papers on 'researchgate' too. I think i terms of quality paper, covenant university is coming up! I have a paper am planning to submit to them online
Pls do so and thank you so much. I have learnt a lot.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Ademat7(m): 11:15am On Mar 09, 2017
@kinibigdeal are u a lecturer? What field are u
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 09, 2017
kinibigdeal:

But is it that Covenant university has a journal you are planning to submit to.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 12:10pm On Mar 09, 2017
Yes boss, they have. You can check journals.covenantuniversity.edu.ng
Statsocial:

But is it that Covenant university has a journal you are planning to submit to.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 12:12pm On Mar 09, 2017
Questions coming from the boss himself. Whatsapp me
Ademat7:
@kinibigdeal are u a lecturer? What field are u
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by TheVictorious(m): 6:52pm On Mar 09, 2017
kinibigdeal:

Turnitin is used For every single thing. Just that assignments have a bit higher percentage for acceptance (usually 20%) compared to projects (10%)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by TheVictorious(m): 7:04pm On Mar 09, 2017
Statsocial:

It is. Was made a university-wide policy last year. In fact once you click submit button - for assignments, turnitin checks it automatically and shows the plagiarism level. Leaving you with the option of recalling or proceeding!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by TheVictorious(m): 7:40pm On Mar 09, 2017
kinibigdeal:
You actually just summarized the problem in a simple text. But i wont agree on the issue of funding, it will shock you to note that the federal government of Nigeria through the minister of education are budgeting a certain sum yearly into our educational system for 'research' but they keep making us believe 'research' is being underfund! With the once they are getting, are we getting a quality work? Many of our lecturers dont understand the tenets of research work, some cant even write any without plagiarism

Even though I agree that majority of these research funds are being mismanaged, I beg to differ on your stance concerning availability of funding. Inadequate funding is a serious set back for research in certain levels in this country. Majority of our federal government research institutes do routine tests. How many instrumentation labs are in the country, how many scanning electron microscopes, molecular assemblars, nanotechnology devices, etc. can we boast of as a nation? As it stands now, it might be best for our varsities to pull resources together and develop fully equipped research facilities that will be useful for all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
Please moderator move this to front page. @ op you haven't define or explain what's plagiarism
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 09, 2017
TheVictorious:

It is. Was made a university-wide policy last year. In fact once you click submit button - for assignments, turnitin checks it automatically and shows the plagiarism level. Leaving you with the option of recalling or proceeding!
Wow Nice.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Ugosample(m): 11:05pm On Mar 09, 2017
You raised a very valid point @OP

1 Like

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 12:13pm On Mar 10, 2017
TheVictorious:

Oh really!
Turnitin is used For every single thing. Just that assignments have a bit higher percentage for acceptance (usually 20%) compared to projects (10%)
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 12:16pm On Mar 10, 2017
Covenant university should be the first university in Nigeria to adopt that then. Am impressed
TheVictorious:

2 Likes

Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 12:20pm On Mar 10, 2017
Bro! When you examine the breakdown of allocation set aside for education and research, and what is coming out from our institutions. You will agree with me that lack of funds is not the problem but poor laziness and mismanagement
TheVictorious:

Even though I agree that majority of these research funds are being mismanaged, I beg to differ on your stance concerning availability of funding. Inadequate funding is a serious set back for research in certain levels in this country. Majority of our federal government research institutes do routine tests. How many instrumentation labs are in the country, how many scanning electron microscopes, molecular assemblars, nanotechnology devices, etc. can we boast of as a nation? As it stands now, it might be best for our varsities to pull resources together and develop fully equipped research facilities that will be useful for all.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 12:21pm On Mar 10, 2017
I will in my next piece. Thanks
asuustrike2009:
Please moderator move this to front page. @ op you haven't define or explain what's plagiarism
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by TheVictorious(m): 2:19pm On Mar 10, 2017
kinibigdeal:
Bro! When you examine the breakdown of allocation set aside for education and research, and what is coming out from our institutions. You will agree with me that lack of funds is not the problem but poor laziness and mismanagement

Well if you say so. I have preferred what I think is the best way out; collaboration in establishment of equipped and functional research facilities.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by TheVictorious(m): 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2017
lalasticlala, Mynd44, seun; I think this is FP worthy, please do something!
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 5:31pm On Mar 10, 2017
I agree
TheVictorious:

Well if you say so. I have preferred what I think is the best way out; collaboration in establishment of equipped and functional research facilities.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by Ugosample(m): 6:06pm On Mar 12, 2017
This is something we need to look into.
Re: Paper Publications - How Our Varsities Are Turning Into Junk Factories by kinibigdeal(m): 10:20pm On Mar 12, 2017
Ugosample:
This is something we need to look into.

Exactly

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest Ranking: Top 10 Best Polytechnics In Nigeria / Udusok 2017/2018 Admission List Is Out / All Prospective Oau Students Post Post-ume 2009 Comment Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.