Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,005 members, 7,970,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 08:01 PM

Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign (30574 Views)

Charly Boy, Jim Iyke, Aisha Yesufu At Anti-Buhari Resume Or Resign Protest (Pic) / Charly Boy Collapses At The Resume Or Resign Protest In Abuja / Resume Or Resign Protesters Attacked By Police In Abuja, Journalist Injured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by 4C2215131: 10:39am On Mar 11, 2017
yashau:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/power-failure-fashola-gets-30-day-ulti

matum-revive-power-sector-resign/

You know, it's very easy to cast aspersions, point fingers, place blames and whatnot when you're not the one under fire.

Now, he's been given the ring, the crowd is waiting, expectant but lo and behold...silence

The booing begins.
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by emmy02(m): 10:39am On Mar 11, 2017
Na wa o. And the pple in kebbi don't know what to do with light again. Light too much here
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by 4C2215131: 10:40am On Mar 11, 2017
sinistermind:
This man should have done the honourable thing since and resigned. I don't hate Fashola but the statement he made about a serious govt fixing power within 6months shot him in the foot.

More like a Head Shot!
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Saintp(m): 10:40am On Mar 11, 2017
If we must make progress on power, we must disband national grip and allow different areas to manage power any how the want it. Nobody can make any tangible and enduring difference with our current power structure .
But I don't pity oga Fash, Na him mouth put am 4 under pressure
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by diegwu01: 10:46am On Mar 11, 2017
Power has seriously improved. I was in Portharcourt for a Week with a friend in Oraze area rumuola, i couldnt recall if we experienced a single interruption all week.
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Sabergol99(m): 10:47am On Mar 11, 2017
It's funny. The same people who ignorantly criticised the GEJ administration are now defending this present one over the exact same issues. Power generation, while not rocket science is a complex and expensive process. It can be generated from nuclear, gas, hydro, coal, solar, wind and biofuels. Nigeria has comparative advantage in gas to power because it has the 9th largest gas reserves in the world. However, a major setback for our gas pipelines has been the endless state of sabotage/vandalism since time immemorial. I remember when Prof Chinedu Nebo constantly cried out that Vandalism is the major problem facing the sector which is almost impossible to tackle due to the vast areas pipelines cover and the random nature of attacks. It was however used as a cheap political gimmick to score points by the ruling party today.
Consequently, a look at our other energy sources show that the hydro dams in kainji, jebba and shiroro are the most stable sources of electricity for the country but they generate just about 1000mw of electricity combined. The mambila hydro power project, a massive project expected to generate more than 3000Mw of electricity from Taraba state has been proposed for more than 30 years but is still in its infancy due to Military dictatorships, corruption and lack of political will. That single project has the potential of solving 10% of Nigeria's total power demand for contact electricity. Till today, the project has been marred in bureaucracy and despite being 'revived'by this current administration, work is yet to commence.
Other renewable sources like solar and wind, while expensive to install (1MW of solar is about $1.2 million) , provide realistic and fast alternatives to solving our pathetic power issues. Particularly in the North, where they have competitive advantage. This is yet to be seen however as most investments are still few and far between. It must be stated though that the Bank of industry has been supportive in providing off grid solar power to remote areas in the country.
Issues with coal to power arise from lack of investments due to a global commitment to cleaner energy sources. However, being a relatively underdeveloped nation, we must find a means in exploiting this God given natural resources to solve our power problems either by encouraging local investors or providing massive incentives for foreigners with sufficient investment capital.

Finally, I personally feel it is unfair to criticize the GEJ administration over power because I have monitored the power sector closely and to little extent, understand it's dynamics. The GEJ administration expanded Nigeria's total power capacity to 11, 700MW (with 6900MW available for generation) Compared to the less than 5000 MW total he met (despite the reported $16billion sunk during Obasanjos terms)
It must however be stated that the GEJ much publicised 'privatization solution' was inefficiently done as they were sold to local investors, with little expertise and not a lot of capital for investments.
In conclusion, to get power right in Nigeria would mean a stable supply of gas (no more vandalism) , the completion of the Mambila power project and encouraging private investors to set up their own independent power plants (IPPs)

3 Likes

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 11, 2017
Well there isn't much that can be done in 30 days

1.The transmission system is worn out, dilapidated and needs repalcing completely. And that is going to take years and trillions of naira to acheive.That cannot be achieved in 30 days.

2.Currently we generate 4000MW. We need at least 80000MW to see light 24/7. One expert even put it at 160000MW. That cannot be acheved in 30 days.

3.Like I have said many times, Nigeria owes the DISCOS and GENCOS millions of Naira. Most Nigerians, government agencies, private companies do not pay their power bills as and at when due. Where are the DISCOS and GENCOS and TCN going to get the money to make things better.? Is it in the next 30 days?

I am sorry, and I am not pro govt, but these people giving the ultimatum are just jokers. They want magic to happen.....based on what? On zero cash? They want our govt to suddenly find trillions of naira....and to fix problems that are over 4 decades in 30 days.

Nigerians should stop expecting free lunch. Until my eyes were opened in 2014....and I saw why we did not have light...I would have agreed with the CD 's ultimatum. I don't agree with them now. And anyway....all govt runs now is transmission. Generation and distribution have all been privatised.

2 Likes

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by barrysome001: 10:47am On Mar 11, 2017
I like reading the criticism of Nigeria's economy done by experts of finance/economics, I read and affirm that the OP/writer knows what he/she is talking about.
But in this case,I doubt if the so called CD spokesman knows how the power sector runs.
I am not defending Fashola o,but haba! He has no control over the decline of the power generated that's transmitted to the grid!

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Nobody: 10:51am On Mar 11, 2017
bantudra:
what the hell is a disco...

we should take back the power sector by force from private people..

privatization was a scam...

The problem with that is that govt would have to pay heavily in compensation to the DISCOS for taking over again.

That is why APC had nothing to say about DISCOS in the run up to the 2015 election.

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by doubleportion: 11:00am On Mar 11, 2017
Now that Buhari had arrived, attentions has to be shifted to somewhere grin
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by desiredmee(m): 11:01am On Mar 11, 2017
It's not about how it works rather it's about making it work fine and better play no defence game man if he can't take the heat he should get off the kitchen it's long past six months already

Ajibel:
Obviously, these guys are very ignorant of how Power generation and distribution works in the country.

Resign my foot.
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Kiakia(m): 11:02am On Mar 11, 2017
yashau:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/power-failure-fashola-gets-30-day-ultimatum-revive-power-sector-resign/
Fashola should have resigned long ago. This ultimatum is coming rather late.
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by uzoexcel(m): 11:08am On Mar 11, 2017
Worst example of clickbaiting I have ever seen

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Uniquejames(m): 11:09am On Mar 11, 2017
This hating is becoming too much....., if they is actually any positive change in dis present era of governance in SE, it is actually in the power sector.

Beside who dem be to ask our own BRF to resign?
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Ajibel(m): 11:19am On Mar 11, 2017
desiredmee:
It's not about how it works rather it's about making it work fine and better play no defence game man if he can't take the heat he should get off the kitchen it's long past six months already

Who told you he can't take the heat?

And what's up about the six months?

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by anonimi: 11:21am On Mar 11, 2017
sinistermind:
This man should have done the honourable thing since and resigned. I don't hate Fashola but the statement he made about a serious govt fixing power within 6months shot him in the foot.

In life you have to COMPARE what your options are.
Compared to the JagaBandit who is raising up proxies to attack him, Fashola is an angel of smart, hard work.
First it was Ambode, now CD Eastern Nigeria. Watch out who will be the next.
And they are all spurious claims in true propaganda mode of Pull him Down, PhD as they used on Jonathan to rubbish his achievements grin angry
Not unlike the True Face of Lagos that our Asiwaju Asiwere of touts and thugs tried to use in 2010/11 to unsettle Fashola's second term bid because he reduced the amount of money Ogbeni Ojuyobo was chopping from Lagos treasury.
On this point, one has to defend Fashola AGAINST the games of the JagbaJantis of Bourdillon.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2147911_cymera20150222114530_jpegbb7cc5a3cc7ccee7c2b50b7bb8f36287

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by 12bolakale: 11:23am On Mar 11, 2017
We are having Steady power supply in Sari-Iganmu in Lagos State.as well as Ganmo,Amoyo area of Ilorin so that's my Area Fashion is trying he should just continue the good work.

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Joephat(m): 11:31am On Mar 11, 2017
Fashola resign ko....

The money he gets every month is greater than his good name. So make una take good name so he gets his money..

Half-dead buhari has not resigned is now a healthy man like fashola that they are making noise updan

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by HonabFaj(m): 11:37am On Mar 11, 2017
Who are those that brought the 60% percent share of the power sector privatization

What have they done to change the sector

We were told power sector was privatized
Why can we make this so called private sectors step up there game.

At least when telecommunications sector was privatized ,there is room for competition and we all go for different choices

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by bantudra: 11:52am On Mar 11, 2017
9jakohai:

The problem with that is that govt would have to pay heavily in compensation to the DISCOS for taking over again.

That is why APC had nothing to say about DISCOS in the run up to the 2015 election.

tahh..we just nationalize everthing again..what the discos want to do??..declare war
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by bantudra: 11:56am On Mar 11, 2017
HonabFaj:
Who are those that brought the 60% percent share of the power sector privatization

What have they done to change the sector

We were told power sector was privatized
Why can we make this so called private sectors step up there game.

At least when telecommunications sector was privatized ,there is room for competition and we all go for different choices

you were awaiting for the private sector to build everything for una...

that is not how privatization works..
privat companies want to make money,they normaly dont invest...jonathan lied to una...

telecom sector is not working either...

nigerians are still using massively prepaid internet...
were is the broadband internet??..
practicaly none..

in 2017 you are still using prepaid...

that is not improvement...

2 Likes

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by burkingx(f): 12:18pm On Mar 11, 2017
SamuelAnyawu:
grin grin grin

Propaganda Goverment cry cry cry 2019 where art thou? cry
.... grin

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by hiyarnuh(m): 12:29pm On Mar 11, 2017
lf you apply for OAU 2016/17 Masters ln Public Administration let's meet When is the test?
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by hiyarnuh(m): 12:29pm On Mar 11, 2017
hiyarnuh:
lf you apply for OAU 2016/17 Masters ln Public Administration let's meet
When is the test?
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by xdos(m): 12:41pm On Mar 11, 2017
Fashola really made a careless statement. Now he wears that same shoe.

I think most or our problems are the DISCOs and that is why we do have grid collapse. They dont fully utiize power generated.
Infact right now as I type, the grid frequency is high over 51Hz. Someone seeing this will think Nigeria is generating plenty power but this is simply because the DISCOs are not evacuating the already generated power and this creates heavy load on the grid which results in power collapse.
The DISCOs reject power generated and give the excuse that people are not paying up when they have refused to meter people and have relied on Estimated billing. This estimated billing is a way of making people pay for darkness (the light not given to them). The FG needs to force the DISCOs to meter every house so that these DISCOs will stop stealing from people and also stop rejecting power from Generation.
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by fuckingAyaya(m): 12:51pm On Mar 11, 2017
karma karma karma
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by AreaFada2: 1:00pm On Mar 11, 2017
bantudra:

give him more money...and stop criticizing the guy on wrong reasons....

jonathan had surplus of money but nothing happend...

Jonathan complain after two years? Una nor get shame?

When APC were making promises did they put any clause like "provided oil price remains same, provided we do not fail to calm ND situation, provided our economic/fiscal policies do not turn out to be a disaster, provided we do not fail to recover "loot", etc?
capital no.

So why suddenly introduce clauses?

They also told us money they will recover from loot & save from corruption will easily do the projects, so what is the problem now?
I had 16 to 18 hours light under GEJ. I have mentioned it at least for over two years now on NL threads here.

You people easily forget that fighting Boko, 14 new universities, almajiri schools, bringing back railway, economic boom policies, organising free and fair elections, farming promotion and others cost money during GEJ time.

To begin, whatever oil price, oil only flowed because GEJ knew how to pacify ND and keep oil flowing.

APC excuses are becoming too many. Like a lazy worker blaming his tool. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Koleman(m): 1:13pm On Mar 11, 2017
baylord101:
Na wa oooo, Light de waste here in Makurdi ( High level)
walahi. I no understand again o. average of 21hrs per day for more than a month now
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by bantudra: 1:15pm On Mar 11, 2017
AreaFada2:

Jonathan complain after two years? Una nor get shame?

When APC were making promises did they put any clause like "provided oil price remains same, provided we do not fail to calm ND situation, provided our economic/fiscal policies do not turn out to be a disaster, provided we do not fail to recover "loot", etc?
capital no.

So why suddenly introduce clauses?

They also told us money they will recover from loot & save from corruption will easily do the projects, so what is the problem now?
I had 16 to 18 hours light under GEJ. I have mentioned it at least for over two years now on NL threads here.

You people easily forget that fighting Boko, 14 new universities, almajiri schools, bringing back railway, economic boom policies, organising free and fair elections, farming promotion and others cost money during GEJ time.

To begin, whatever oil price, oil only flowed because GEJ knew how to pacify ND and keep oil flowing.

APC excuses are becoming too many. Like a lazy worker blaming his tool. grin cheesy

promise my foot...

jonathan lied to una so much...una believed it..

ofcourse apc had to go dirty too...

we only believe corrupt people...if apc would have played fair,una wouldnt have believed them anything anyways....what should apc say??..hardship is coming before it gets better??...tahh...
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by AreaFada2: 1:24pm On Mar 11, 2017
bantudra:

promise my foot...

jonathan lied to una so much...una believed it..

ofcourse apc had to go dirty too...

we only believe corrupt people...if apc would have played fair,una wouldnt have believed them anything anyways....what should apc say??..hardship is coming before it gets better??...tahh...

Well, enjoy the result of the lies. Hope you spend less on food/necessities & your friends/relatives find life easier now. grin cheesy

You mean GEJ did not do what I mentioned above?

That no universities, train, booming economy then, good light, almajiri schools etc?

Make no mistake, I wanted Jonathan to go.
Because I thought the tribalists and born-to-rule people of Nigeria might conspire to take him out.

I also knew all along that APC were promising nonsense. They needed to be exposed by letting them rule.

I have long proposed a 6-year single term presidency/governorship system. In my opinion, he spent nearly 6 years. Enough for one person.
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by bantudra: 1:30pm On Mar 11, 2017
AreaFada2:

Well, enjoy the result of the lies. Hope you spend less on food/necessities & your friends/relatives find life easier now. grin cheesy

You mean GEJ did not do what I mentioned above?

That no universities, train, booming economy then, good light, almajiri schools etc?

Make no mistake, I wanted Jonathan to go.
Because I thought the tribalists and born-to-rule people of Nigeria might conspire to take him out.

I also knew all along that APC were promising nonsense. They needed to be exposed by letting them rule.

I have long proposed a 6-year single term presidency/governorship system.

and jonathan didnt lie??..

why was boko getting stronger??...
why was their still no electricity??..
giant of africa,but the masses were still suffering...

remember in the bible that story about that guy that said he will wipe them with rattle snakes??..
did they choose him??..no,they choosed the person that promised them everything nice...

how did it end..??
Re: Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign by Funseyi(f): 1:32pm On Mar 11, 2017
And the charges is increasing by the day, commercial unit that he met at 16.77 per unit is now 29.93 per unit, Mr Fashola you and your party talks too much with less or no work to show for it, you guys should better brace up and meet up with your promises.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attacks Troops In Borno, Kills 5 Soldiers, 3 Vigilantes, 1 CJTF / APC CRISIS: Tinubu Gains Upper Hand, NWC to be Dissolved Next Week / El Rufai Has Been Quiet About The Nigerian Military Victory Over Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.