Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,461 members, 7,940,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 11:21 AM

3 Types Of ''degree Arrogance'' That Is Killing Our Educational Sector - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3 Types Of ''degree Arrogance'' That Is Killing Our Educational Sector (608 Views)

Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? / How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths / 10-Hour Lecture In Engineering Course In AKSU Ahead Of Degree Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Types Of ''degree Arrogance'' That Is Killing Our Educational Sector by kinibigdeal(m): 2:58pm On Mar 11, 2017
I will start by explaining what i mean by ''educational arrogance''. Educational arrogance according to me is defined as 'Feeling that you better than someone else because of the degree that you received or the school you attended''. I think this syndrome is mostly common among our private and federal government universities. What are the three major ''degree arrogance'' affecting our educational system

1. CGPA/COURSE CREDIT ARROGANCE

If you have ever gone to a polytechnic, colleges or monotechnics, you may have experienced ''CGPA or Credit arrogance''. For instance, if you decide to transfer to another institution (though not common in Nigeria), you may suddenly discovered that your former ''course credit'' are discounted. Why? Because the school you are trying to transfer to will say ''our standards are higher than theirs or rather if a polytechnic graduates is trying to get a ''direct entry (DE)'' into any of this universities, the school he or she choose might reject him/or her not because he/she cannot cope but because of ''their so call ego on standards'' which is never in comformity with international standard. This also applies to WAESCE results where a ''harsh'' requirements will be set out for prospective candidates seeking admission in their school. I have seen student with ''Credits(C) all through is paper but denied admission in a particular university. Are we helping the system or frustrating the system? Will your requirements guarantee a job in future or teach about ''financial management''?

Why are our Universities not adopting ''credit transfer''?

I will say ''ego''.............Nothing but ego (i stand corrected if am oblivious of any). Many modern universities and colleges all over the world are adopting credit transfer where a students can change institutions based on ''course credit''. Why is our universities adopting different curriculla? That am also confused of! have you ever asked why a department in UNILAG will have 18 course unit and same department in UNIBEN will have 26 course unit in the same semester (Just for illustration) then you wondered, if Benin and Lagos(same federal) are acting on different educational protocols. Will the graduate of that similar course bear different title when they graduates from school? Our educatiional problem are id-infinitum. You asked again, is our universities operating under different system approved by the federal ministry of education? What kinds of standards are we making emphasis on when some of our graduate's are almost ''half baked''. Why cant a 200L UNILAG student transfer to OAU based on credit transfer?

2. DIPLOMA ARROGANCE

my ph.D degree trumps your ed.D degree. My engineering degree is better than your social science degree. My MBA degree is worth more than your M.sc degree. What an exclamatory nonsense! Nigerian universities are working real hard to inculcate a sense of superiority that is based on degrees they are giving us. Every HOD will always tell you why their degree is better than other's degree. Infact, i have even heard that a 5years degree programme is better than a 4year degree programme with same course but different university or rather they say a Bsc holder is smarter than an HND holder. They would even show you a trotted chart of how a degree is earning more than an HND holder or a phD earning better than an M.sc. The truth is, i'm not encouraging anyone to fight the system, if you do, then forget earning a degree because the system will overwhem you; of all our educational degree, what has it beneffited our society and life? Ekiti state have the highest percentage of professor's in Nigeria, while Anambra has the highest numbers of skilled men in Nigeria. Sentiments apart, is Ekiti better than Anambra today? As a matter of fact, i'm a proud Yoruba man before anyone start using vague terms like 'IPOB'.

3. INSTITUTIONAL ARROGANCE

UNILAG is better than UNIZIK, UNIZIK is better than covenant university, covenant university is better than UNILORIN. Infact the more prestigious the school, the more renowned its academic reputation and tuition fees. If you went for a cheaper'' less prestigious school, the first argument you might hear about such a choice would concern the ''quality'' of education you would receive. Who will choose ''LASU'' over Covenant university or UNILAG over OOU? That's our current metality. See, all this top notch schools are not better than your average school education, the only reason they turn out the best graduates is because of name recognition, and for that reason, they attract the top secondary school leaver.

1 Like

Re: 3 Types Of ''degree Arrogance'' That Is Killing Our Educational Sector by damilolammm(m): 3:07pm On Mar 11, 2017
shocked
Re: 3 Types Of ''degree Arrogance'' That Is Killing Our Educational Sector by kinibigdeal(m): 3:11pm On Mar 11, 2017
CONCLUSION

Our desire for more stuff, more prestige, more money leads to an unbriddled arrogance that stop everything really important in our nation. Where is the room for passion, where is the room for dreams and vision, where is the room for valuing the things that will lead to a fulfiling life. The dream of getting a ''name'' brand degree trumps all the real values and meaningful goals in life. Our graduate has now become a ''Corporate person'' and not a ''Passionate citizen''. Our universities perpetrate this arrogance because it comforms to their desire to enroll you in their school and be able to charge a hafty fee that Nigerians will unhesitantly accept. Only few of us are questioning the values of this degree

1 Like

Re: 3 Types Of ''degree Arrogance'' That Is Killing Our Educational Sector by ashewoboy(m): 5:56pm On Mar 11, 2017
nice.
Re: 3 Types Of ''degree Arrogance'' That Is Killing Our Educational Sector by BodePolScience: 6:49pm On Mar 11, 2017
Summary of op epistles is follow your passion and let education sharpens your passion. Hence, the only reason for going to school (irrespective of the nature and class of degree of the school) is to allow the school spurs up or sharpens one's passion.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rip Ui Vc And Bursar- Nasu Displays / Jamb: Pls Help / LASU: Lagos State Indigenship Verification Exercise – 2017/18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.