Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,331 members, 7,881,235 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:52 PM

Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart (725 Views)

"Apart From Sex, Women Have Nothing To Offer In A Relationship." / 5 Things That Are Hurting Your Partner And Killing Your Relationship. / I Had A Bible Oath With My Babe To Stay Together, Now Things Have Fallen Apart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by don9ja: 2:09pm On Mar 13, 2017
It might have been a huge blow-up where you and your partner both said awful, hurtful words. It could have been a slow-building tension that brought coldness and distance. The effects are the same… your relationship feels like it has collapsed. The strong foundation of trust, communication, respect, and even love has been shaken and feels destroyed.

You might be very upset, not sleeping or eating well and fearful about your future. You may also be feeling justified about what you’ve said or done. After all, your partner did something awful!

When your relationship has fallen apart, try this:
1. Be honest with yourself about what happened.

The first thing we recommend you do after a relationship collapse is to assess the state of your union. If your mind is racing ahead to what you think the future might hold or to what you guess your partner will do next, stop. If you’re replaying in your mind your version of what went down between you two, stop. Slow down your thinking and, instead, get very clear about literally what happened.

This is going to be your biased perspective, so be as choosy as you can about what you believe is true. Think about what was actually said and the actions that really happened. Go with observations and verifiable information when at all possible.

If, for example, you’re “sure” about your partners intentions or feelings, ask yourself if you really know this. Keep returning to what was said, what was done, and how you feel about it.

2. Be honest with yourself about what’s in your best interest.

Next, we invite you to consider the wisdom of repairing your relationship. We do NOT think that people should throw away a perfectly good relationship just because mistakes (even big mistakes) were made or an argument happened.

But, we also know how important it is to make conscious choices about one’s life…this includes the conscious choice to stay in or to leave a relationship.

Think about what is in your best interest. Think about where you stand right now with your partner and also about where you want to go in the future. Remind yourself that you deserve to have the relationship you truly want.

It’s also helpful to review what you know about your partner’s actions and stated intentions.

For instance, if your partner had an affair, get clear about whether or not the affair has actually ended. If it hasn’t, do you have any indication that your mate is planning to stop cheating? If he or she has vowed to end the affair but has done nothing to follow through, consider that as well.

The decision to stay in or leave a relationship is yours to make.

3. Be willing to own your role.

You’ve probably heard the saying that it takes “two to tango.” As uncomfortable as it is to admit, this is almost always true. What your partner said or did may have been a huge betrayal, but there is probably a role you also played in the relationship collapse. With gentleness and self-love, try to determine what your role was and is.

This isn’t about you taking the blame or being the only one at fault for what happened. That’s not helpful either! This is about you owning the part in your relationship that contributed to the collapse.

This might have been your tendency to say “yes” even when you mean “no.” This may be your habit of jumping to conclusions or to shutting down and withdrawing when things got tense. Find out what your role is and ask yourself if you are willing to make some changes.

4. Take your next best step.

The advice we’ve given you so far has all been what we call “advance work.” This is vital if you truly want to repair the damage of the relationship collapse. It is rarely a wise idea to rush to any action without taking some amount of time to get clear within yourself about where you stand, what your role is, and what is beneficial for you.

When couples have the same argument or they break up and reunite over and over again, it’s often because neither of them has done the advance work. They are merely repeatedly reacting to one another and building up even more hostility and pain. As you do the advance work we’ve recommended, you’re going to begin to know what is your next best step.

This might not be an action or decision that you are necessarily happy or comfortable with, but it will feel certain and right for you. Your next best step might be to offer your partner a heartfelt apology, to set a firm boundary, or to seek help from a professional.

Whatever it is, take your next step and keep checking in with yourself as you take another and another. This is the way to rebuild trust and connection and to re-discover your love for one another.

Source:http://www.don9ja.com/2017/02/24/things-to-do-went-your-relationship-has-fallen-apart/[url]

Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by Nobody: 2:30pm On Mar 13, 2017
Okay.
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by subtlemee(f): 2:35pm On Mar 13, 2017
I wish there was a way one can stay without a relationship
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by Uchesis: 2:51pm On Mar 13, 2017
subtlemee:
yes there is a way

become a rev. sister
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by subtlemee(f): 2:52pm On Mar 13, 2017
Uchesis:

yes there is a wa

become a rev. sister

Too late...I've tasted the fruit in the center of the garden
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by ferrari45: 3:01pm On Mar 13, 2017
subtlemee:

Too late...I've tasted the fruit in the center of the garden

relationships are great... just focus on ur sch or career for now. the right person will change your mentality. I pity the dude tho kiss
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by subtlemee(f): 3:07pm On Mar 13, 2017
ferrari45:

relationships are great... just focus on ur sch or career for now. the right person will change your mentality. I pity the dude tho kiss

Lol grin
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by ferrari45: 3:11pm On Mar 13, 2017
subtlemee:

Lol grin
all the best..but try and have an open mind.
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by enuk80(m): 3:15pm On Mar 13, 2017
op nobody get time for all this sitting down thought..d major objective is pursuing your goal and dreams in life because relationships most time is a distraction from attaining your goals and aspiration in life especially when you are in love...it brings you down and it makes one lose track..when everything was going on smooth, it makes you think you have achieve your goal in life when you have not..when things fall apart, it also makes you think you cant achieve your goals in life because you think your dreams and even your life depend on your partner..you become scared..its better it falls apart than trying to fix things you can never change.it better it falls apart so you can be move to make it in life and achieve that goal...

#there are other things that are more important than love (things like your career"dreams" which is the first priority in life, getting or making that money, your family "blood", and so on..).

God help us from this so call love that deviate people from achieving it in life

1 Like

Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by Alphamale2017(m): 4:31pm On Mar 13, 2017
subtlemee:
yes there is a way, 2 yrs and still counting and i have never been this happy all my life, now i have lots of female frnds wishing we are 2gether, ( i can see it from there actions ) but naaah, i will still gaurd my happiness for some time smiley
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by Alphamale2017(m): 4:33pm On Mar 13, 2017
enuk80:
op nobody get time for all this sitting down thought..d major objective is pursuing your goal and dreams in life because relationships most time is a distraction from attaining your goals and aspiration in life especially when you are in love...it brings you down and it makes one lose track..when everything was going on smooth, it makes you think you have achieve your goal in life when you have not..when things fall apart, it also makes you think you cant achieve your goals in life because you think your dreams and even your life depend on your partner..you become scared..its better it falls apart than trying to fix things you can never change.it better it falls apart so you can be move to make it in life and achieve that goal...

#there are other things that are more important than love (things like your career"dreams" which is the first priority in life, getting or making that money, your family "blood", and so on..).

God help us from this so call love that deviate people from achieving it in life
very true smiley
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by subtlemee(f): 5:14pm On Mar 13, 2017
Alphamale2017:
yes there is a way, 2 yrs and still counting and i have never been this happy all my life, now i have lots of female frnds wishing we are 2gether, ( i can see it from there actions ) but naaah, i will still gaurd my happiness for some time smiley

When I grow up I want to be like you
Re: Things To Do Went Your Relationship Fall Apart by Alphamale2017(m): 5:46pm On Mar 13, 2017
subtlemee:

When I grow up I want to be like you
lol. Nor make me laugh

(1) (Reply)

6 Places You Should Never Toast A Nigerian Girl / Men - Things Ladies Wish You Know / GAME TIME: What I Would Love To Do To You............+18, -60 Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.