Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,758 members, 7,875,903 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:20 AM

Overcoming The Initial Shock Of Being HIV Positive - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Overcoming The Initial Shock Of Being HIV Positive (400 Views)

How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! / Katie Kleinxo: Lady Who Is HIV Positive Tattooed 'HIV+' On Her Private Part / Help! Am I HIV Positive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Overcoming The Initial Shock Of Being HIV Positive by 3Hopeblog(m): 4:07pm On Mar 13, 2017
So you just confirmed you are HIV status and you feel it’s over for you. It feels like a death sentence has been handed over to you. You can’t stay for a second without thinking about it.

God! I’m going to die soon? Will I live a normal life again? How will I tell my loved ones about this?

Just stop for a minute and breathe slowly. I want you to know this:

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”

“Every day you live with HIV, you are a success”

Yes, that’s what I want you to bear in mind as you read through this article.
In this article, I will be sharing simple and effective steps on overcoming this initial shock you are experiencing. I can assure you that you will experience a mind shift that will make you realize you still have a wonderful life ahead.

Buckle up and get ready to conquer cool cool cool...

During the 20th anniversary of announcing his HIV status to the world, Magic Johnson was asked how he overcame the initial shock of knowing he is infected with HIV.

“I am a big believer in God, and I just prayed, and I just went out there. And I am not a guy who runs away from challenges; I meet challenges head-on. I am not a guy who stays down long. I have always been an upbeat person, so I just talked to myself and said, “Look, you’ve always been upbeat about everything; this is no different now.” And so I just went out there and did what Earvin Johnson should do and just shared with the world what has happened to me”

Accept your status and free your mind of any grudge towards yourself or another person.

This is the first step in moving on. Yes, it is not easy but this will make you focus on other important aspect of your life especially seeking for treatment.

You need to let go of the hatred you have for yourself and wholeheartedly accept your status. This is the number one advice by most HIV care and support medical experts. "Be honest with yourself," advises Angela Reynolds from the Terrence Higgins Trust (THT, a registered Charity Organization In England and wales). "You will have this for the rest of your life. But remember that although HIV is not curable, it is treatable."

Was your reckless past responsible for your infection? Forgive yourself. Was it the negligence of medical personnel? Forgive them. Was it that unfaithful partner despite your faithfulness? Forgive them and let go.

One good thing about Forgiveness is it frees you from worries and makes accepting your status easier. It gives clarity needed to think about your next action towards moving ahead. Living in denial hurts emotionally and prevents you from taking these actions that are beneficial.
Imagine if Magic Johnson continued in self-pity without taking an action? He would not have been this healthy even after more than 25 years of living with the virus.

Here is an affirmation that will help.

Use it daily especially when you feel down. “I forgive myself, a great future awaits me and going after it is what matters now”

Every battle in life is first won or lost in the mind. With time, you will get over the initial shock like many others before you. So forgive, get yourself together and focus on the wonderful future ahead.

For more information an coping with HIV, visit the link below.

https://3hopeblog..com.ng/
Re: Overcoming The Initial Shock Of Being HIV Positive by BlackDBagba: 4:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

A Brief Introduction Of Fallopian Tube Blockage / How To Prevent A Sickle Cell Crisis / Weak Erection, 1 Min Cum Busted...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.