Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,854 members, 7,922,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 05:23 PM

The Rise Of Neo Fascism In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Rise Of Neo Fascism In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions (392 Views)

2018 FG Scholarship Awards For Students In Nigerian Tertiary Institution / 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Rise Of Neo Fascism In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by dagama49(m): 2:21am On Mar 15, 2017
THE RISE OF NEO-FASCISM IN NIGERIA TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS

By Egbeolowo Olaitan

Tertiary institutions, the backbone of the society is now the irony and shadow of itself. It is appalling to witness the gestapo style employed by those at the corridor of education in order to get rid of radicals in our tertiary institutions. This is a simile to the horrifying and inhumane events in nazi germany during the world war 2 when the fundamental human rights of the citizens were trumped upon.
In fact, the world war 2 was triggered by political, economic and religious factors. This same war was responsible for the murders of six million jews during the 'Holocaust'. Adolf hitler was of the opinion that he would conquer the world thereby capturing and subjecting the people to his control in order to be a powerful and incomparable ruler in the world.
The world war 2 is one of the most bloodbaths war in human history, headed by the one and only fascist- adolf hitler of germany; this same war was responsible for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki(the largest city in japan). Up till now, the two places became deserted after the nuclear bomb explosion.
it is regrettably lugubrious to see the same style being adopted by scholars in our ivory towers. The victimisation of radicals who protested against poor welfarism in our ivory towers is a perfect embodiment of tyranny. It is observable as students in our tertiary institutions are being rusticated or victimised for protesting against bad management via social media.
Henceforth, I doubt the integrity and supremacy of the constitution itself. How can I be rusticated because I want a good welfare? even in the 1999 constitution, section 14(2)b says " the primary purpose of government in a country is to provide a good welfare and security for the people. I laugh in chinese!

A university is meant to be the most dogged defenders of democratic principles, and to uphold democratic values. But the contrary action came up, the same university where we have professors, doctors, msc holders e.t.c became tyrants by adopting the style of a fascist such as Hitler, mussolini in order to devalue democratic values and hallmarks of democracy.
Donald trump in one of his speeches acknowledged the fact by saying "peaceful protest is one of the hallmarks of democracy". A society or institution that tries it best to frustrate or condemn a peaceful protest and cannot withstand criticism does not deserve to exist. Am I making sense? May be I need to constitutionally entrenched my point, now that the gospel of rustication is the order of the day in nigerian tertiary institutions.
Imagine the following injustice(s)
(1) In Unilag> Olorunfemi adeyeye was rusticated because he wrote an article. This is the same university where a lecturer asked some of his students to kneel down before the class. Are they in secondary school?

(2)In kwara state poly, a student who has finished his project was expelled by the school management for standing for the welfare of the students as the student welfare secretary. Which one is ineffable for me to mention here?
Is it the hike in fee in ekiti state university? Or how the FUTO students pay to register courses after registering online. education is now a business enterprise(that is a write up for another day)

Yet, the constitution says the following

* section 38(1)> every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions without interference.

* section 40> every person shall be entitled to freedom of association, including freedom of assembly.
Note: not in the case of secret society

As you can see, there is no basis for their actions. They just feel like oppressing we the nigerian students because they know that their brothers and sisters are in control of (the) judicial system. Is this a country or zoo? Truth be told, I have not gain anything from this system of education. If not for personal development that assist me a lot just like most of us do, I don't know what would have happened to me.

With all the proves in this article, it shows that our so called scholars do not understand the tenet of democracy. As we fold our hands and watch tyranny prevail because of fear of the uknown, radicals are being oppressed and suppressed by our educated illiterates who claims to be scholars. One may wonder if they are ignorant of democratic values or they are in a state of self denial.
The only way forward in getting rid of this social and academic malady is to reform our education sector and other social institutions. Dictatorship style such as hitler's or mussolini's should not be found in our ivory towers as its defies the primary purpose of such institution.
If this act of tyranny continues in our citadel of learning, we will only be successful in educating robots and anti- intellectuals.

If I am rusticated or expunged tomorrow, you shouldn't be snoring because you can be rusticated or expunged in the evening. Little wonder, rustication or expulsion cannot change my predestination. Predestination can only be delayed.

Egbeolowo olaitan is a proficient writer, editor and orator. He is a prominent member of ANSA(alliance of Nigerian students against Neo- liberal attacks)

E SOWETO E AFRICA> E AFRICA E SOWETO

(1) (Reply)

If U Have The Jamb App Get In Here / Photo: 500 Level LAUTECH Student Commits Suicide Inside His Hostel Room In Oyo / Jsk Etiquette/access Bank Mentorship Bootcamp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.