Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,756 members, 7,886,001 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 07:23 PM

Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? (804 Views)

Never Wear Cloth That Contain These 10 Images For Heaven Sake / Good Morning Jesus;For Heaven Bound SOULS. / One Slot Left For Heaven: Bill Gates Or ADEBOYE? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by Chetachuku(m): 3:01pm On Dec 18, 2009
I am a christian but wants to marry up to twelve wives. This is not due to an insatiable desire for women but cos I have enough love for even twenty women. Even the twelve wives is a waste of love resources. Please advise me!
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by smooooooth: 3:03pm On Dec 18, 2009
no way, u going straight to hell, for a true xtian, its one man one wife.
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by Chetachuku(m): 3:07pm On Dec 18, 2009
smooooooth:

no way, u going straight to hell, for a true xtian, its one man one wife.
My problems now is that the one wife will have an overdose of love and affection from me. She could be suffocated. I will then be termed a murderer. Murderers go to hell as well!
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by smooooooth: 3:10pm On Dec 18, 2009
too much love can never kill a woman, thats all they want. go thru all the female post and see for ur self. she will be too glad to have a man like u.
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 18, 2009
You as a Christian can have only one wife. Anything more is sheer coveteousness. Don't be greedy.
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by KunleOshob(m): 5:50pm On Dec 18, 2009
I am yet to see a single teaching in the bible that a christian must marry only one wife. On the contrary several great men of God in the bible had more than one wife plus several concubines. grin
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by AKO1(m): 7:36pm On Dec 18, 2009
^ ^ ^

1 Cor 7
1Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. 2But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband

Most places in the bible where marriage is discussed, a monogamous picture is presented.

Even if you don't agree that this is a direct injunction, I am of the opinion that where there is no explicit biblical principle, it is wiser to stick to pattern(s).
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by olabowale(m): 8:43pm On Dec 18, 2009
@A. K. O.: Who is greater in the eyes of Christian God, Abraham the father of faith, or the nameless faceless author of Cor you quoted, who said, if he had his way, except that he knew sexual immorality abounded, he would have not advocated marriage, so to quell immorality, every man with his own woman. He did not say marry, and we see that many men introduce their women friends as "my woman, our women"! There are many things wrong with your Cor author;

1). He did not advocate marriage but that every man must have a woman. Proof me wrong.
2). He ignored the fact that every woman needs her own man, too, or even some men. I need correction.
3). Evidently, if he married he was immoral and not fit to give any injuction, since his desire was no marriage at all, if there wasnt immorality.
4). Do you realise that if the author prevailed that Christianity would have died off in a mere 3 to 4 generations of 20 years each? Okay maybe 5?
5). Was the author not an eunich who cant husband a wife, so he covered his track by going against what is natural in mankind; woman/man?
6). If Abrahim married more than 1 wife, Isaac married more than 1 wife, Jacob married more than 1 wife, and Jesus married no wife, why 1 wife?
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by AKO1(m): 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2009
^ ^ ^
Who is greater in the eyes of Christian God, Abraham the father of faith, or the nameless faceless author of Cor you quoted
The nameless faceless author is Paul, and all men are equal in the sight of God.

1). He did not advocate marriage but that every man must have a woman. Proof me wrong.
He did advocate marriage:  each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband

2). He ignored the fact that every woman needs her own man, too, or even some men. I need correction.
Its right there, every woman needs her 'own man' because he considers having multiple partners immoral.

3). Evidently, if he married he was immoral and not fit to give any injuction, since his desire was no marriage at all, if there wasnt immorality.
4). Do you realise that if the author prevailed that Christianity would have died off in a mere 3 to 4 generations of 20 years each? Okay maybe . . .
Ditto. Please re-read what he said well.

5). Was the author not an eunich who cant husband a wife, so he covered his track by going against what is natural in mankind; woman/man?
He was unmarried, but see what he says to the unmarried:  Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But[b] if they cannot control themselves, they should marry[/b], for it is better to marry than to burn with passion: 1 Cor. 7:7-8

A recurring theme. Marriage is encouraged to prevent/reduce tongue fornication.

6). If Abrahim married more than 1 wife, Isaac married more than 1 wife, Jacob married more than 1 wife, and Jesus married no wife, why 1 wife?
Again, the above passage explains it. Jesus probably did not marry because He could hold bodi, and it was not expedient for Him to.
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by KunleOshob(m): 9:03am On Dec 19, 2009
A_K_O:

^ ^ ^

1 Cor 7
1Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. 2But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband

Most places in the bible where marriage is discussed, a monogamous picture is presented.

Even if you don't agree that this is a direct injunction, I am of the opinion that where there is no explicit biblical principle, it is wiser to stick to pattern(s).

The problem i have with church doctrine is that preachers just take scrptures and build doctrines out of it without any sound basis. The fact that something was implied in a letter of Paul or some part of the scripture is not enough to make laws/commandments out of when there are a lot of obvious examples against even in the same bible. In my opinion, if God was against polygamy it would have been clearly stated in the bible and not subject to implied statements. Please note that i am not advocatng polygamy here as i detest it, i am only challenging the basis of a popular church doctrine which i don't beleive is biblically sound.
Re: Is Polygamous Christian Fit For Heaven? by Image123(m): 9:40am On Dec 19, 2009
All scripture is inspired and profitable for doctrine.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Bakare: The New Messiah Or What? / September 11: No True Christian Will Join Rev. Terry Jones To Burn The Qur'an / Is God Partial With His Favours?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.