Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,194 members, 7,903,931 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 02:15 AM

Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? (1025 Views)

Difference Between Holy Spirit And Holy Ghost Fire / Difference Between Holy Spirit & Holy Ghost / "Buhari Will Bring Doom To Nigeria": Father Obimma, What Holy Spirit Told Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by akintom(m): 2:20pm On Mar 17, 2017
The Christians claim that Holy Spirit helps/empowers them to have self control, but a look at the logic below, the Holy Spirit turned out to be an irrelevant factor, as far as behavioural control mechanism is concerned.

If,

* Christian + self control = moral

* Non-Christian + self control = moral

But,

* Christian + self control + holy ghost = moral

* Christian - holy ghost + self control = moral

Hence,

* Holy ghost is irrelevant factor.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by wordbank(m): 2:32pm On Mar 17, 2017
It's not by power, not by might but by my spirit says the Lord
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by akintom(m): 2:40pm On Mar 17, 2017
wordbank:
It's not by power, not by might but by my spirit says the Lord
OK, what's the relevance of the spirit of your Lord?
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by wordbank(m): 2:46pm On Mar 17, 2017
akintom:

OK, what's the relevance of the spirit of your Lord?
Without His Spirit, we won't be in existence in the first place. Gen 1.
Knowledge is power in human knowledge
Read man
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by tripplephi: 3:23pm On Mar 17, 2017
lols bros you were schooled wrongly o

THE HOLYSPIRIT IS NOT FOR SELFCONTROL RATHER FOR LIFE-CONTROL

PLS IT IS RUDE TO UNDERESTIMATE THE HOLY SPIRIT O

ALL YOUR LOGIC IS USELESS COS THE ESSENCE OF THE HOLYGHOST IS NOTHING LIKE SELF CONTROL

How can God in HIS wisdom give us a holyspirit for what our human will can do... MORALITY is relative and doesn't impress GOD. you can abstain from all evils and still go to hell.

USE THE BIBLE NEXT TIME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE HOLYSPIRIT.... in the OLD testament there was no HOLYSPIRIT and people still had self control.
AM NOT A CHRISTIAN but I HAVE THE HOLYSPIRIT and he is so precious to me... HE EXPLAINS THE BIBLE TO ME AND EMPOWERS ME TO CONTROL LIFE AND ITS OUTCOMES.... so pls next time have relevant facts before speaking such things.

akintom:
The Christians claim that Holy Spirit helps/empowers them to have self control, but a look at the logic below, the Holy Spirit turned out to be an irrelevant factor, as far as behavioural control mechanism is concerned.

If,

But,

Hence,

Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by GodsMopol: 3:36pm On Mar 17, 2017
tripplephi:

ALL YOUR LOGIC IS USELESS COS THE ESSENCE OF THE HOLYGHOST IS NOTHING LIKE SELF CONTROL

How can God in HIS wisdom give us a holyspirit for what our human will can do... MORALITY is relative and doesn't impress GOD. you can abstain from all evils and still go to hell.

USE THE BIBLE NEXT TIME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE HOLYSPIRIT.... in the OLD testament there was no HOLYSPIRIT and people still had self control.
AM NOT A CHRISTIAN but I HAVE THE HOLYSPIRIT and he is so precious to me... HE EXPLAINS THE BIBLE TO ME AND EMPOWERS ME TO CONTROL LIFE AND ITS OUTCOMES.... so pls next time have relevant facts before speaking such things.

in the first place, what's your definition for a Christian, you might probably mean you have not attained the fullness of Christ, if that's what you mean, I won't flog you
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by tripplephi: 4:06pm On Mar 17, 2017
read your bible well... PAUL never even called us CHRISTIANS... it was UNBELIEVERS THAT DID.... so how can they NAME us

GodsMopol:

in the first place, what's your definition for a Christian, you might probably mean you have not attained the fullness of Christ, if that's what you mean, I won't flog you
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by enshy: 4:07pm On Mar 17, 2017
akintom:

If,

But,

Hence,

Fundamentally, the Holy Spirit doesnt usurp authority or possess to make you do things without your consciousness - thats the operation of a demon!
The Holy Spirit has the gentle nature of Christ, He instructs, teaches, guides, comforts, empowers, strengthens and leads!
All these He does through His Word, inner conscience, the still small voice, visions & revelations, messages of annointed men of God e.t.c.
A man who would be so influenced with the Holy Ghost is one who has so submitted the entirety of His Will to Him.
Self control is in the submission criterion of being influenced by the Holy Ghost...The Bible says 'walk in the spirit, you wont fulfill the lusts of the flesh'
Selfcontrol is a work of Grace started at salvation and at sanctification, the flesh is nailed! Amen!!
***Pls note Holy Ghost is not same as speaking in tongues***

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by akintom(m): 6:04pm On Mar 17, 2017
tripplephi:

What's the difference between your "self" and your "life"?
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by tripplephi: 11:52pm On Mar 17, 2017
GUY STOP DECEIVING YOURSELF...

when u r looking for JOB and you can't get it.... do you blame yourself?

WHEN U R BORN BY A POOR FAMILY, do you blame your self?

IF you cant see that LIFE is bigger and broader than SELF then walk away in your ignorance... I HAVE GIVEN YOU TRUTH But you still want what you are used to... pls check a dictionary. THE HOLYGHOST BRINGS A NEW LIFE INTO OUR SELF.
self is d actor LIFE is the drama stage..

akintom:

What's the difference between your "self" and your "life"?
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by akintom(m): 11:57pm On Mar 17, 2017
tripplephi:
GUY STOP DECEIVING YOURSELF...

when u r looking for JOB and you can't get it.... do you blame yourself?

WHEN U R BORN BY A POOR FAMILY, do you blame your self?

IF you cant see that LIFE is bigger and broader than SELF then walk away in your ignorance... I HAVE GIVEN YOU TRUTH But you still want what you are used to... pls check a dictionary. THE HOLYGHOST BRINGS A NEW LIFE INTO OUR SELF.
self is d actor LIFE is the drama stage..

Now i commit your mind into the hands of FSM, who shall guide your mind back to reason and coherence.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by ministerk(m): 4:39am On Mar 18, 2017
I'd like to add to this discussion. The sinner sins. That's what he does. All humans sin.
All humans were born with free will. We are all given the right to choose. Man chose to distance himself from God(Genesis 3). Usually that is what we do - we sin. Why? Because we are guilty of sin from birth, a sinner the moment our mother conceived us (Psalm 51:5). The only way to be free from the chains of sin is to become a "child of God" - one must be born again (John 3:3-6). Otherwise, because we are innately sinful we cannot help ourselves.
We will keep on sinning. Galatians 5:19-21 shows you how bad we can get. The opposite of self control is self-indulgence, un-restraint or even indiscipline. We act this way when we do not have the Spirit of God in us. We sin. But when we become believers, the same God who created heaven and earth resides in us, guiding us into "truth". He becomes our self-control. So notice, Christians will sin, and sometimes badly! But that is when they do not allow the Spirit of God to guide their words thoughts and actions. When a Christian obeys the Word of God and listens to the Holy Spirit, they absolutely cannot sin. It is then that they can have real self-control, because self control is a FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT (Galatians 5:23). When you have the Spirit of God working in you, He restrains your appetites, your passions and your desires. That's why Christians can find strength to remain faithful to their husband and wives. When we refuse to listen to the spirit, we can do all sorts of evil - that's when we have No Self - Control. But first, a sinner needs God to have real self control. Other than that they are disciplined enough to do good (works) with God's Spirit. Even the devil can do good. But real Self-Control is found In-Christ Jesus.

Someone in this thread said it well "Self Control is a work of Grace". Yes! We nail our flesh to the cross!
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by akintom(m): 7:02am On Mar 18, 2017
ministerk:
I'd like to add to this discussion. The sinner sins. That's what he does. All humans sin.
All humans were born with free will. We are all given the right to choose. Man chose to distance himself from God(Genesis 3). Usually that is what we do - we sin. Why? Because we are guilty of sin from birth, a sinner the moment our mother conceived us (Psalm 51:5). The only way to be free from the chains of sin is to become a "child of God" - one must be born again (John 3:3-6). Otherwise, because we are innately sinful we cannot help ourselves.
We will keep on sinning. Galatians 5:19-21 shows you how bad we can get. The opposite of self control is self-indulgence, un-restraint or even indiscipline. We act this way when we do not have the Spirit of God in us. We sin. But when we become believers, the same God who created heaven and earth resides in us, guiding us into "truth". He becomes our self-control. So notice, Christians will sin, and sometimes badly! But that is when they do not allow the Spirit of God to guide their words thoughts and actions. When a Christian obeys the Word of God and listens to the Holy Spirit, they absolutely cannot sin. It is then that they can have real self-control, because self control is a FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT (Galatians 5:23). When you have the Spirit of God working in you, He restrains your appetites, your passions and your desires. That's why Christians can find strength to remain faithful to their husband and wives. When we refuse to listen to the spirit, we can do all sorts of evil - that's when we have No Self - Control. But first, a sinner needs God to have real self control. Other than that they are disciplined enough to do good (works) with God's Spirit. Even the devil can do good. But real Self-Control is found In-Christ Jesus.

Someone in this thread said it well "Self Control is a work of Grace". Yes! We nail our flesh to the cross!

*How is "self-control" different from "real self-control"?

*can i have self control without holy spirit?
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by GodsMopol: 2:47pm On Mar 18, 2017
tripplephi:
read your bible well... PAUL never even called us CHRISTIANS... it was UNBELIEVERS THAT DID.... so how can they NAME us

Well, I see reasons to your sayings, but all the same, its the generally recognized term used in referring to those who are the followers of Christ,

PS, you don't have to be insultive before you drive your point, all the same, your view is a personal one, I look forward to sharing the same view with you
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by cooncudee(m): 9:25pm On Mar 18, 2017
ministerk:
All humans were born with free will. We are all given the right to choose. Man chose to distance himself from God(Genesis 3). Usually that is what we do - we sin. *Why? Because we are guilty of sin from birth, a sinner the moment our mother conceived us (Psalm 51:5). The only way to be free from the chains of sin is to become a "child of God" - one must be born again (John 3:3-6). Otherwise, because we are innately sinful we cannot help ourselves.
We will keep on sinning. Galatians 5:19-21 shows you how bad we can get. The opposite of self control is self-indulgence, un-restraint or even indiscipline. We act this way when we do not have the Spirit of God in us. We sin. But when we become believers, the same God who created heaven and earth resides in us, guiding us into "truth". He becomes our self-control. So notice, Christians will sin, and sometimes badly! But that is when they do not allow the Spirit of God to guide their words thoughts and actions. **When a Christian obeys the Word of God and listens to the Holy Spirit, they absolutely cannot sin. It is then that they can have real self-control, because self control is a FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT (Galatians 5:23). When you have the Spirit of God working in you, He restrains your appetites, your passions and your desires. That's why Christians can find strength to remain faithful to their husband and wives. When we refuse to listen to the spirit, we can do all sorts of evil - that's when we have No Self - Control. But first, a sinner needs God to have real self control. Other than that they are disciplined enough to do good (works) with God's Spirit. Even the devil can do good. But real Self-Control is found In-Christ Jesus.

* pls which sin did you commit in your mothers womb, or while you were a 'baby'.

**Not true, a lot of holy ppl that submit to the holyspirit and listen to it still 'sin', (then they realize that they've sinned and ask for forgiveness.) You can't run away from 'sin'. Stop fooling yourself.

Free yourself from mental slavery.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by orisa37: 8:53am On Mar 19, 2017
Holy Ghost is Holy Spirit and The Totality of The Righteousness of Jesus Christ. It's also The Grace of Jesus Christ out of which Self-control is a subsidiary mini spirit.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by orisa37: 8:54am On Mar 19, 2017
Yes.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Holy Spirit And Self Control? by Aquiprsy: 9:30am On Mar 19, 2017
akintom:

If,

But,

Hence,

What an interesting logic here. Well, this reasoning is coming from a mind that's not cultured in spiritual things.

Yes, there's difference between self control and Holy Spirit. Self control is an innate behavioral moderating mechanism. It's natural to every normal human beings. Although it's relative.

Holy Spirit is the influencing power, that created a new nature (spiritual) in the Christians. The holy spirit helps the believers to adjust gradually to the culture of the Kingdom of God.

(1) (Reply)

Is Tithe Necessary For Salvation Or Just For Prosperity? / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 22/08/2017 / Snippet: Concrete Reasons Why The Noahs Ark Story Is False

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.