Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,560 members, 7,885,300 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 07:38 AM

The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? (2899 Views)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating / Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by snow123: 6:00pm On Dec 20, 2009
I thinks that parents should send their children to Nigeria to attend both primary and secondary school  before they comeback to attend colleges  .B/c i travelled to Nigeria and noticed that those  children are so good academically more than children  i see oversea. especially those in private schools. It will be wise idea since most parents abroad can afford the school fees for Private schools in Nigeria.
What do u think?
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 20, 2009
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by busybody20: 6:34pm On Dec 20, 2009
Infanct school - Abroad
Primary - Abroad
Secondary - Nigeria
University - Abroad

cheesy
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by DisGuy: 6:54pm On Dec 20, 2009
I think there was something like this in the family section before

snow123:

I thinks that parents should send their children to Nigeria to attend both primary and secondary school  before they comeback to attend colleges  .B/c i travelled to Nigeria and noticed that those  c[b]hildren are so good academically more than children  i see oversea[/b]. especially those in private schools. It will be wise idea since most parents abroad can afford the school fees for Private schools in Nigeria.
What do u think?

the kids that get straight As abroad are academically and creatively what?

moved to family
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by coolier(f): 8:16pm On Dec 20, 2009
Definitely Nigeria. No 4-yr old in Nigeria would touch beer not to talk of drinking it on the street!
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by ubiaa5(f): 9:32pm On Dec 20, 2009
coolier:

Definitely Nigeria. No 4-yr old in Nigeria would touch beer not to talk of drinking it on the street!
grin
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 20, 2009
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Sissy3(f): 2:39am On Dec 21, 2009
gosh i hate this search yahoo yahoo search engine angry. so not helpful embarassed

@ post

Blackspade discussed the same topic a while back. you might find more responses there

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-321501.0.html
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 6:18am On Dec 21, 2009
Home . . . it can be Nija and could be abroad, you have to be the one to make whereever you are to be home and make the kids belong.
There are kids in Nigeria that never seen the airport and yet they act like fools, and some are in America or western world and are so polite and nice.
It is never about the geographical place or location, but how connected is the heart of the parents to those of the kids.
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 21, 2009
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2009
^^^ seconded.
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by mamagee3(f): 9:45pm On Dec 21, 2009
First-Seconded. grin grin
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by OAM4J: 7:30am On Dec 22, 2009
chaircover:

Absolutely right Femi.

Personally as a product of boarding house myself, I have vowed never to let my kids school away from where I am. I saw & did things in boarding house that would have made my parents faint had they found out. I’m surprised at myself that I never became an Olympic high jumper at the speed and height I could jump the school walls LOL.

No disrespect to Inner Londoners, but some of the schools can be like war zones so I can see where the poster is coming from but as parents we need to get our priorities right.

If it means moving out of London to a better area, then do it. If it means ditching the Mercedes and working shorter hours so that someone is there to meet the kids after school then do it.

There is always time for everything and if you have decided to have kids, then your life is on hold until he/she becomes and adult and it is your responsibility as a parent to ensure that the kid is the best kid in the block.

The Truth.

1 Like

Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Joan4427(f): 4:59pm On Jan 12, 2010
snow123:

I thinks that parents should send their children to Nigeria to attend both primary and secondary school  before they comeback to attend colleges  .B/c i travelled to Nigeria and noticed that those  children are so good academically more than children  i see oversea. especially those in private schools. It will be wise idea since most parents abroad can afford the school fees for Private schools in Nigeria.
What do u think?

In most cases, especially where the kids are demonstrating head-strong behaviors, this may very well be a great idea.  Nigerian boarding schools, at least the ones I've heard of, help to clip a rebellious child's wings and teach them that they are not the most important thing on the surface of the earth.

These days, children bred in Western countries pick-up bad behaviors from their peers, internet, etc, and the easy availability of computers and cell phones are not helping matters. However, if willing to send your kid back to Nigeria for secondary school education, you ought to decide if boarding school may even be a better shelter for your kids than public or private day schools.

A good instance of where boarding school has helped a rebellious teen turn out good is well-documented in the "Feddie Girl" novel by Nona David. Check it out. It's about the hilarious adventures of an American teen in a Nigerian Federal School and documents the whole juicy details from a fresh angle you've never imagined.

Those of you considering whether or not to send your kids to boarding schools can make up your mind after reading through this book. It is a non-biased fictionalized recount of an American girl's experiences prior to, during, and after the boarding school exposure.

Novel Back Blurb:

FEDDIE GIRL is an international adventure/thriller about the experiences of an American teenager in a Nigerian boarding school. This novel offers a unique reading experience--witty, fun, and exhilarating. The masterful suspense, action, and sub-plot will curl your toes, keep you reading all night, and leave you thirsting for more.

Carlotta Ikedi (A.k.a Feddie Girl) has never liked school. Not in California. Not in Oklahoma. When her exasperated parents ship her off to boarding school–in West Africa–Carlotta faces a life, culture, and existence unlike anything she’s ever known.

School rules and regulations, rising bell, lights-out, manual labor, inspections, dining time, prefects, punishments, mean bunkmates, and visiting days–it’s all here. But author Nona David takes Carlotta’s story a step further when her adventures lead to unfortunate incidents that threaten to drive her American family into the clutches of infidelity and organized crime.

Boarding school doesn’t get any better than this…

For those who have experienced the boarding school life, the adventures of Feddie Girl will bring those memories crashing back… For anyone else, get ready to see the world as Feddie Girl.

This novel is available on the publisher's website: https://bernardbooks.com/links.html

Also available in Nigeria at an affordable price. See location and contact details on the publisher's site. (Use link above)

Read sample Chapters and reviews on the publisher's site or go to this thread on this forum: [url]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-365502.0.html
[/url]
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by tallgal(f): 6:24pm On Jan 12, 2010
My children are raised in the good old-fashioned Nigerian way. They are both born-again, attend church etc, yet can still 'happen'among their mates. I'm not saying they are perfect, but that as parents, we have not tolerated any nonsense from our kids and the kids have responded well. It's a mixture of talking to the kids and being strict when we have to. White parents send their kids to our house to learn how to cook, make their beds and to behave.
My son prostrates for his elders, my daughter kneels. We are not living ina ghetto, the children go to private schools, we are both working in top companies (I can't not disclose, but that is not the issue).

It's a shame most Nigerian parents abroad copy the 'ghetto behaviour' of bad parents abroad (the real posh ones still hold on to old-fashioned values), thinking they are being  sophisticated. The strange thing is that in the Western world, the trend is moving back to old-fashioned values.
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Joan4427(f): 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2010
tallgal:

It's a shame most Nigerian parents abroad copy the 'ghetto behaviour' of bad parents abroad.

Well-said. I agree.
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by beingme(f): 11:05am On Jan 19, 2010
Made In Nigeria
Finished abroad
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 6:58pm On Jan 19, 2010
beingme:

Made In Nigeria
Finished abroad

Come and see many made in Nigeria and finished in Abroad, they are roaming the street and some are in the shelter . . . . .
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by beingme(f): 1:59pm On Jan 20, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Come and see many made in Nigeria and finished in Abroad, they are roaming the street and some are in the shelter . . . . .
lol and ur advice is what?
Re: The Best Place To Raise A Child :Nigeria Or Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 7:08pm On Jan 20, 2010
beingme:

lol and your advice is what?

My advice is somewhere above . . . .it is not where you raise the kids that matters, but how and who

(1) (Reply)

Is It Too Late At 30? Can I Still Make It?? / For Guys Only!!!!!!!ladies Keep Off / I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.