Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,316 members, 7,943,781 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 01:24 AM

Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 (650 Views)

A Nairalander Pictured With The Tallest Woman In Kogi State (see Pics) / Fuel-Carrying Tanker Hits Shops In Calabar (Photos) / BREAKING: EBOLA Hits Nigeria Again, Disease Break Out In Calabar- THENEWS.NG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 by MrCartha: 11:00pm On Dec 20, 2009
Lorry hits Nigeria Kogi state market killing up to 100

Up to 100 people have been killed after a runaway truck ploughed into a crowded market in Nigeria.

Officials said 55 people died, but a BBC reporter at the scene, in Kogi state, counted at least 100 corpses.

Kogi state police said the lorry hurtled down a hill at speed, smashing cars and motorcycles then crashing into the market, injuring up to 40 people.

Traffic accidents are common in Nigeria because vehicles and roads are badly maintained.

"I can only confirm that 55 people were killed. The driver of the truck lost control and ran into a group of people moving in a procession along the road," a senior police officer told AFP news agency.

Burned beyond recognition

Kogi state commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission, Yomi Asaniyan, said brake failure was the cause.

Declaring three days of mourning, Ibrahim Idris, the governor of Kogi state, expressed his sadness and offered to pay the medical bills of those injured.

Eyewitnesses told Nigeria's Sunday Trust newspaper that the market in Allo village in the Dekina area was filled to capacity when it was rammed by the lorry.

A number of vehicles caught fire, burning people beyond recognition. It is not yet clear whether the accident happened on Friday or Saturday.

Last week, more than 20 people burned to death when a bus carrying mourners to a funeral collided with a truck on a road in Oyo state, south-west Nigeria.

Guyz, all should watch their back while walking da stritz of 9ija. No road rulz!!!
Re: Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 by skfa1: 11:06pm On Dec 20, 2009
RIP. May the Lord help us in Naija cry cry
Re: Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 by MrCartha: 11:32pm On Dec 20, 2009
skfa1:

RIP. May the Lord help us in Naija cry cry

Amen! sad
Re: Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 by dominique(f): 11:32pm On Dec 20, 2009
awww!!! what a tragedy sad sad cry
could this be the myth about the year ending curse where people succumb to violent deaths? i hope not
Re: Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 by arsenal4va(m): 8:50am On Dec 21, 2009
Re: Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 by mamagee3(f): 7:19pm On Dec 21, 2009
I heard this news Last Night,
May their souls rest in peace
!!! cry
Re: Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 by slimes(m): 9:55pm On Dec 21, 2009
mama-gee:

I heard this news Last Night,
May their souls rest in peace
!!! cry

Amen!
Re: Lorry Hits Nigeria Kogi State Market Killing Up To 100 by Dannyboyz(m): 4:48pm On Dec 22, 2009
Oh! Guusssssssssssssh! God help us oo. May their soul rest in peace.

(1) (Reply)

Analysing The Role Of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab / How Do I Deactivate My Account On Nl / On The Subject Of S: E: X

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.