Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,933 members, 7,896,020 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 12:25 AM

Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria (8870 Views)

Anambra, ABX-World, Begin Agro-Allied Exports To Europe Worth Over $5 Billion / Onshore Oil Fields They Don't Want You To See / Maps Of Oil Fields In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 10:52am On Dec 21, 2009
oyb:

there is no way to debate with kooks

grin grin grin grin . . . and who is the kook

Oyb:
let me break it down for you

for some people - protecting the environment etal is a religion. they have made it their life's work. they belive that the earth is in grave danger from man made activities. as with fanatics everywhere, they will ignore any information that goes against their beliefs. they will even suppress such information if they can, because they belive that they are right, and that the right information is just around the corner

all your blathering about a new world order  grin grin grin - the same oil companies you are making noise about are in the business of gas flaring which greenpeace etal claim contribute to global warming.

long before these mails came out , there was already a lot of controversy about global warming - state of fear by micheal Crichton addressed the exact issue - no one really knows if global warming is due to human activity or not - but the beleivers will attack anyone who contradicts such assertions as belonging to the establishement

three or so years ago a Norwegian scientist published a book that contradicted a lot of beliefs about global warming

if asians were making noise about 'global warming fraud' aimed at holding back china or india - you might be making some sort of sense. africa is too far behind to be of any concern

only paranoiacs looking for conspiracies everywhere will see a ''global world order" in everything they see on the news.

Sincerely speaking I am lost cus I am not even following what you are talking about . . . undecided :

- Are you saying Global Warming is not a fraud

or

- Are you saying Global Warming is a fraud but you don't care cus of Asians . . .

or

- Are you saying you do not give a hoot about whether Global Warming is a fraud or not . . .

Please clarify so that I can even know how to respond to your statements  . . .  grin grin grin
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by breathless(m): 10:57am On Dec 21, 2009
I've been saying recently that Oil will soon become a USELESS commodity in dis country. This is just d beginning. With Shell's exit, others will follow, revenue from oil will drop to an all time low if not roded which will negatively affect our foreign reserve, the politics of petro-dollar will sing a different song, the north will suddenly wake up to "aggressively pursue agriculture and harness other natural mineral resouces in that region" (leading to transfer of economic power to the north after bastardly raping the south), then they'll clamour for true federalism and resource control with constitutional amendment overnight. The guess what? They will start pursuing a seccessionist agenda. That time, the whole "nation" will realise the fooley that we've been subjected to over the past years. No serious nation will want to invest in this part of the world anymore.

Other foreign interest in other aspect of the Nigerian econmy are also gearing up to "offload their assets" and leave as well. Like they say in foreign policy strategy, "no permanent friends only permanent interests".
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 21, 2009
sad that the only thing that makes sense to you or that you can comprehend is posts containing the words 'new world order'

there is a lot of debate over whether global warming is man made, or a natural process

there are two parties with opposing views

the environmentalists are on one side of the ring
big business is on the other side

the environmentalists fervently believe the world is in danger - and will do anything in their bid to save the earth . tree huggers, attacking oil tankers -

ignoring/overlooking information that does not agree with their hypothesis  - people do that all the time i mean look at you claiming that hiv was invented by white men to suppress
the black race

its only a truly warped mind that can link organisations like greenpreace, who have been fighting the establishment from their inception, as part of a 'new world order'

as to your ridiculous claims of 'global warming fraud ' intended to hold back blacks

you may have missed it, but there is no industrial revolution taking place in africa. in most cases we are regressing. so any treaties make absolutely no difference to us because we are producing practically nothing.

the nations with the most to lose from any treaties /protocols are the emerging growing economies, china, india, brazil - not any african nation.

if they were screaming agenda , it would make sense

i understand that you hate the white man, and that you have a need to make up even more reasons to fuel your hatred.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 11:30am On Dec 21, 2009
oyb:

sad that the only thing that makes sense to you or that you can comprehend is posts containing the words 'new world order'

there is a lot of debate over whether global warming is man made, or a natural process

there are two parties with opposing views

the environmentalists are on one side of the ring
big business is on the other side

the environmentalists fervently believe the world is in danger - and will do anything in their bid to save the earth . tree huggers, attacking oil tankers -

ignoring/overlooking information that does not agree with their hypothesis  - people do that all the time i mean look at you claiming that hiv was invented by white men to suppress
the black race

its only a truly warped mind that can link organisations like greenpreace, who have been fighting the establishment from their inception, as part of a 'new world order'

as to your ridiculous claims of 'global warming fraud ' intended to hold back blacks

you may have missed it, but there is no industrial revolution taking place in africa. in most cases we are regressing. so any treaties make absolutely no difference to us because we are producing practically nothing.

the nations with the most to lose from any treaties /protocols are the emerging growing economies, china, india, brazil - not any african nation.

if they were screaming agenda , it would make sense

i understand that you hate the white man, and that you have a need to make up even more reasons to fuel your hatred.

once again what you are talking about . . . undecided :

- Are you saying Global Warming is not a fraud

or

- Are you saying Global Warming is a fraud but you don't care cus of Asians . . .

or

- Are you saying you do not give a hoot about whether Global Warming is a fraud or not . . .

Please clarify so that I can even know how to respond to your statements . . . grin grin grin
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 21, 2009
^^^^

conspiracy troll

fortunately there are others whose lives don't revolve round conspiracy theories
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by nuesaweso(f): 11:41am On Dec 21, 2009
angry
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 11:42am On Dec 21, 2009
oyb:

^^^^

conspiracy troll

fortunately there are others whose lives don't revolve round conspiracy theories

grin grin grin
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 11:50am On Dec 21, 2009
@oyb

wats your xbox live gamertag . . . grin grin grin
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by obailala(m): 12:08pm On Dec 21, 2009
People keep crucifying shell and the other foreign oil companies for their heartless environmental crimes and they want these foreigners to be replaced by indigenous companies. . .I just Laugh!

I just laugh at the people that think local companies would be any better in terms of environmental pollution.

If shell has an oil spill, the news is heard allover the world and even in their 'so called' callousness, the global hype forces them to clean up fast.

Has any one ever heard of a single oil spill from NPDC?. .is it that NPDC is so careful or is it that their story is never heard? even when the story is heard, it takes donkey years b4 there's a clean-up and the communities are hardly ever compensated. The community behind the refinery in warri has been in ruins for as long as i can remember and i've never heard of it in the news.

People complain that shell & co connives with FG and cheats the communities and these same people believe that replacing shell with Nigerians and Nigerian govt will bring better bargains for the communities. . .I laugh again!

My simple conclusion is that "IF these foreign companies leave, Niger-Delta should be prepared for the WORST holocaust in its environment; and to talk of hunger, there would be serious Wahala cos over 80% of the residents of the niger-delta feed directly or indirectly from the crumbs that drop from these companies.

Finally, I laugh at those people that still believe in this project called NIgeria
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by tennis: 12:09pm On Dec 21, 2009
To me this is a good thing.

Firstly, let's talk about domestic control, it will be better for us to control the oil fields, if things work out right, more of the revenue will stay or be re-invested in Nigeria. Let's face it, crude oil has been like cocoa. We export them on the cheap, and those who refine them into consumable products sell them back to us in multiples of cost price.

Secondly, let's assume Nigerians take control, but cant run their refineries or whatever? Less crude oil is mined, more crude oil is saved for the future generation, who hopefully will be better managers of Nigeria's resources.

Thirdly, less crude oil being mined is better for the environment. This is my best one personally. It's time we start looking at our physical environment and what effect our actions are having.

Fourthly, if they shut down or reduce production in the oil sector, maybe, just maybe we start paying attention to our other industries.

But then, right now the question is not about shutting down the oil sector is it? It is about who gets control of our oil. Shell selling out doesn't mean it's coming to Nigeria people, there are lots of other foreigners still interested. Did I hear you say "The Chinese"?

Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by heilige(m): 12:17pm On Dec 21, 2009
They should sell and leave ASAP. The time has come for us to wake up and handle our own issues.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by blackasia: 12:24pm On Dec 21, 2009
who go suffer am me and u
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by nuesaweso(f): 1:12pm On Dec 21, 2009
angry
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by londoner: 1:35pm On Dec 21, 2009
Many others are waiting to take their place, let them leave.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by nuesaweso(f): 1:50pm On Dec 21, 2009
londoner:

Many others are waiting to take their place, let them leave.

Thats not the problem, the problem is that the Waste Cycle has just begun!
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by connkg(m): 2:15pm On Dec 21, 2009
Hello,

Logging in to say what has not been mentioned,

1. Western intervention in various levels of our government was primarily because of "interests", a good deal oil-related. Pulling out from upstream and foremost exploration will severely restrict their 'need' for any politico-economic intervention. The effects - good or bad - of any and all open and clandestine foreign interventions at various times are key markers in the nation's history.
Q: Handing this over (since it has been attached post-independence) will probably draw a new graphline for Nigerian politics; but without intervention who mediates the churning of a regionalistic country? NIPSS must prepare to lead, even taking on the challenge of a constitutional repair and enforcement. Will a hero rise?

2. The immoral profits, made largely by poor CSR, government connivance, inadequate use of local technology and manpower and excellent political foreplanning make this move seem more than a business decision.
Q:What methods failed when they were tried to result in this?
Given the pull-out of other companies, the foremost multinationals, which contribute chiefly to the nation's budget cannot be left to create a vacuum. With presidential elections in just over 12months and a budget dependent on oil exploration, there is a specific time-period for the creation of either a political solution for economic growth, or a forced (hopefully, not violent) peace, which may deteriorate budding democratic gains.
Q:Again, in view of the national political climate, are governmental structures ready?

3. The Chinese, with a foot inthe door in terms of technological contributions to Nigeria - see Nnewi, CCECC/ Railways, and private coys - are no pace-setters in political interventions, whether good or bad.
Q: Will they be ready to deliver on the demands of continuing oil exploration in a militancy-ridden region without political guarantees? They have not really delivered in other areas of national magnitude.

The potential for rapid, distinctive self-development is here. It is an opportunity of sorts. It requires politically savvy Nigerians, who should be waiting in the woodwork about now,
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by debosky(m): 2:20pm On Dec 21, 2009
obailala:

People keep crucifying shell and the other foreign oil companies for their heartless environmental crimes and they want these foreigners to be replaced by indigenous companies. . .I just Laugh!

I just laugh at the people that think local companies would be any better in terms of environmental pollution.

It is highly presumptive to assume that the local companies will be worse than Shell. The local operators who have recently started operations such as Afren and Oando have learned from the mistakes of the multinationals and are putting systems in place to involve local communities far more than their foreign counterparts. Even recent Shell endeavours such as the NLNG project has been executed with a view to avoiding previous mistakes by the foreign multinationals.

If shell has an oil spill, the news is heard allover the world and even in their 'so called' callousness, the global hype forces them to clean up fast.

This is not true - there is noise for a brief period and then it dies down - there is no follow up to show that spills have NOT been cleaned up and that they simply pay off communities and leave the ground contaminated. Besides, any local companies that take over will have a greater local workforce component than Shell thereby getting more community ownership of oil and gas assets and less motivation for sabotage.

Has any one ever heard of a single oil spill from NPDC?. .is it that NPDC is so careful or is it that their story is never heard? even when the story is heard, it takes donkey years b4 there's a clean-up and the communities are hardly ever compensated.

NPDC's footprint is minuscule compared to Shell - they don't have the legacy of pipelines from the 50's to fail regularly hence they cannot have the same liability levels. Granted there is less international noise from local companies, this 'noise' has not really made Shell clean up it's operations.

People complain that shell & co connives with FG and cheats the communities and these same people believe that replacing shell with Nigerians and Nigerian govt will bring better bargains for the communities. . .I laugh again!

There will be an improvement - there will be a fresh negotiation and the communities are much wiser than they were previously. Though there is no guarantee of this, there is a good chance. I don't believe Shell/foreign companies give the best deal to communities - local companies can do as well.

My simple conclusion is that "IF these foreign companies leave, Niger-Delta should be prepared for the WORST holocaust in its environment; and to talk of hunger, there would be serious Wahala cos over 80% of the residents of the niger-delta feed directly or indirectly from the crumbs that drop from these companies.

Let's wait and see - it all depends on who is sold to, the pre-conditions attached and the determination of the communities to use this period to secure a better deal for themselves.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by edoyad(m): 2:25pm On Dec 21, 2009
What i'd like to hear is what $5 billion worth of oil assets translates to ? For all we know that could just be 10-15 % of their total crude assets in Nigeria making all these talk of pullout a bit premature.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by DOAweb(m): 2:28pm On Dec 21, 2009
smiley smiley Good Riddance!!

About time we rip the old colonial contract and take matters into our own hand - though that itself is a dangerous option!!   cheesy cheesy
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by debosky(m): 2:33pm On Dec 21, 2009
edoyad:

What i'd like to hear is what $5 billion worth of oil assets translates to ? For all we know that could just be 10-15 % of their total crude assets in Nigeria making all these talk of pullout a bit premature.

It is definitely not a pullout. I suspect it will involve onshore assets where it has had a lot of trouble with the community or require significant expenditure to keep running. Assets such as the Ogoni fields and other troublesome Rivers state assets.

The assets I'm sure Shell will NOT let go of are the production sharing contracts offshore - Bonga, Bonga SW, EA amongst others.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by edoyad(m): 2:41pm On Dec 21, 2009
@debosky, so you can definitely see It's a tactical business move more of. I know shell pulled out of ogoni land in the mid ninties after the Abacha-Sarowiwa affair, so this is not exactly new.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 21, 2009
debosky:

It is definitely not a pullout. I suspect it will involve onshore assets where it has had a lot of trouble with the community or require significant expenditure to keep running. Assets such as the Ogoni fields and other troublesome Rivers state assets.

The assets I'm sure Shell will NOT let go of are the production sharing contracts offshore - Bonga, Bonga SW, EA amongst others.

u do have a point - i shld have realized that their total assets in nigeria cannot be 5billion

i wish the buyers all the best sha - i'm sure those assets they are selling off are radioactive - probably include all those pipelines mend keeps bombing.

It is highly presumptive to assume that the local companies will be worse than Shell. The local operators who have recently started operations such as Afren and Oando have learned from the mistakes of the multinationals and are putting systems in place to involve local communities far more than their foreign counterparts. Even recent Shell endeavours such as the NLNG project has been executed with a view to avoiding previous mistakes by the foreign multinationals.

don't count on that - just as in the banking sector - there's a lot of hype/flossing in the local oil and gas industry that cannot be lived up to.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by debosky(m): 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2009
edoyad:

@debosky, so you can definitely see It's a tactical business move more of. I know shell pulled out of ogoni land in the mid ninties after the Abacha-Sarowiwa affair, so this is not exactly new.

It is definitely tactical - Shell worldwide is undergoing DRASTIC restructuring - they've let go close to 10,000 people worldwide, forced another 15,000 to reapply for their jobs and are seeking to cut running costs by billions of dollars.

They have simply realised that holding on to sub-optimal assets that are either shut in or to expensive to produce cannot continue in the current environment.

oyb:

u do have a point - i shld have realized that their total assets in nigeria cannot be 5billion

i wish the buyers all the best sha - i'm sure those assets they are selling off are radioactive - probably include all those pipelines mend keeps bombing.

I am certain it will be the dodgy assets to be sold - they won't sell Bonny Terminal after just refurbishing it massively, neither will they sell their shares in NLNG, or Soku gas plant which is the largest in Africa, nor Gbarain-Ubie gas project where they plan to spend $1.6 billion over it's lifespan.

don't count on that - just as in the banking sector - there's a lot of hype/flossing in the local oil and gas industry that cannot be lived up to.

I'm sure there is, but there are also some high quality local operators - Afren for one has impressed me massively with the structured approach to build up it's portfolio. Firms like Conoil are also quietly doing their thing while Oando's capability is increasing as well. In the end, the quality of the buyers will determine what we can expect.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by nuesaweso(f): 3:12pm On Dec 21, 2009
angry
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 3:18pm On Dec 21, 2009
oyb:

how would u realise it wen r busy antagonising me

don't count on that - just as in the banking sector - there's a lot of hype/flossing  in the local oil and gas industry that cannot be lived up to.

Good points . . .

debosky:

It is definitely tactical - Shell worldwide is undergoing DRASTIC restructuring - they've let go close to 10,000 people worldwide, forced another 15,000 to reapply for their jobs and are seeking to cut running costs by billions of dollars.

They have simply realised that holding on to sub-optimal assets that are either shut in or to expensive to produce cannot continue in the current environment.

I am certain it will be the dodgy assets to be sold - they won't sell Bonny Terminal after just refurbishing it massively, neither will they sell their shares in NLNG, or Soku gas plant which is the largest in Africa, nor Gbarain-Ubie gas project where they plan to spend $1.6 billion over it's lifespan.

I'm sure there is, but there are also some high quality local operators - Afren for one has impressed me massively with the structured approach to build up it's portfolio. Firms like Conoil are also quietly doing their thing while Oando's capability is increasing as well.  In the end, the quality of the buyers will determine what we can expect.

Sounds like you are an insider Debosky . . . how dey do am . . . are you working for shell in the uk or wetin or how come you have all this inside info . . .cus knowing the location, details and cost of a project has to be an inside job. . .

I guess those that are bound to have more job security are the operations guys that usually go to deep offshore kinda thingy . . . those ones have been invested in a lot hence more difficult to find . . .

most job loss are bound to come from mostly the administrative and onshore areas . . .just a guess  grin
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 3:25pm On Dec 21, 2009
I just checked the link provided by Debo . . .

Since it has to do more with restructing then it means that the Nigeria license renegotiation is bound to not affect it that much cus the bottom line is that they themselves are the ones doing the restructing hence the contract renegotiation within nigeria is just an addition constraint that they have to deal with. . .

Hence my guess is that they are certainly not pulling out of nigeria they are just shedding off old skin kinda . . . which invariably means that it leaves Nigeria in a strong position during the contract renegotiatino with Shell.

Lets hope our government takes advantage of that sha and lets hope they do not just collect bribe to do something shaddy.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by debosky(m): 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2009
nues aweso:

Good points debosky, seems u're in the system.

But why do you think they wont sell E.A.? That field is in shallow waters and was always in the line of fire during Militancy days. Think Its the most attacked offshore platform in Nigeria.

And are you actually based at that fractured reservoir in the east of england owned by something-P?

No comment to the final question  grin. . .I don't think they'll sell EA because it's fairly new and started producing in 2002/2003 with significant production potential left, 110k+ barrels per day from a single field is no joke.

No2Atheism:

Good points . . .

Sounds like you are an insider Debosky . . . how dey do am . . . are you working for shell in the uk or wetin or how come you have all this inside info . . .cus knowing the location, details and cost of a project has to be an inside job. . .

Ol boy there are no secrets in the oil industry. . . .apart from uninterpreted seismic data of course.  grin If you follow trends closely enough you'll arrive at similar conclusions.

I guess those that are bound to have more job security are the operations guys that usually go to deep offshore kinda thingy . . . those ones have been invested in a lot hence more difficult to find . . .

most job loss are bound to from the administrative and onshore areas . . .just a guess  grin

I suspect so as well - the amount of trouble Shell is getting onshore is simply not worth it in many cases. These multinationals are similar in many respects - any assets that are unduly costly or have significant image impact will be sold sooner or later.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2009
I am absolutely in favor of shutting down every oil field in that country.

Let the oil dry up.

amen.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by ono(m): 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2009
Debo has posted quite a lot of the juicy stuff. . . . . . . .sometimes, I wonder where he gets his facts.
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by edoyad(m): 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2009
angry @tpia for every barrel drop in production we experience, there'll be a pint drop your blood production.
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Shell Plans $5 Billion Sale Of Oil Fields In Nigeria by trooperz(m): 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2009
Pls dont let the Chinkos get it oooooo. Their profit orientation na die. In Dafur (Sudan), there are various conflicting parties in THE NATION e.g. Sudanese govt, supporter of APC, Sudanese Liberation Army (S.L.A), white arabs, black arabs. e.t.c. Guess who supplies Ak47s, and every, to these parties, and the major supplier is , the Peoples Republic of CHINA, 4 them to kill themselves bah, No CSR, they dont give 2 F**ks !!!!
wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Men Die Faster Than Women (hillarious Pictures) / No One Is Above The Law Including Patience Jonathan, Says APC / 'buratai Must Account For Spending On Lafiya Dole, Crocodile Smile’ - SERAP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.