Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,055 members, 7,906,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 06:25 PM

At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... (1191 Views)

I Still Steal From My Parents At The Age Of 35 / Parents Buy Daughter A Car For Her Graduation As A Doctor In South Africa (Photo / 17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... by lalabrother: 7:04am On Mar 23, 2017
Was thinking about the fellow that jumped into the lagoon the other day and I just couldn't help but feel sad... I spent time wondering what could have moved the young man to such an action. Heard on radio that he was just 35 years...

At 35 he was a doctor... Had a car, and even a driver... from the Nigerian standard that sounds like a successful young man in all ramifications.

There probably were lots of his secondary school mates or his university mates envying him.
But truth is no one knew what he was going through...

I concluded that he was having a bout of depression and it took a bad turn.

I will ask some pertinent questions.
When last did we check on a friend that we haven't heard from in a while?
When last did we visit some one we knew was finding things difficult?
When we see someone who had it going so well and all of a sudden is finding it hard to make ends meet, do we make fun of them?
When was the last time we called the names of particular people in our circle during our prayers with our creator, to intercede on their behalf ?
The economy is tough and truly people are finding it more difficult to survive.
I have noticed personally an increased number of destitutes in Lagos lately.

We need to watch out for each other... We need to call, we need to visit. I am hoping we check in on others from time to time(physically).
We never know who needs just an ear to listen to all the problems he/she is going through.

Let's be more caring... To at least call someone per day just to say hello!

Lets ponder on this for a few seconds and decide to assist each other psychologically& spiritually today.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... by Truesapiosexual(f): 10:20am On Mar 23, 2017
Nigeria a country were a problem shared is a problem gossiped. May God help us BUT suicide should never be an option!!!

1 Like

Re: At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... by lalabrother: 9:12am On Mar 24, 2017
That's why you have to select your friends carefully.
Re: At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... by Acidosis(m): 9:50am On Mar 24, 2017
Owing a car at 35 as a Doctor is not new and depression has nothing to do with money. If you graduate at 22, and get a job that pays at least N180,000-N200,000 monthly, you can own an SUV before 25 years.

Why haven't all the almajiri and IDPs committed suicide if poverty is a leading cause of depression?

I'm only surprised because as a Doctor, he should know more about depression and mental health than any other person.

The same way a voice tells someone to go na.k.ed and walk in rags on the street (those we called ma .d men) is the same way a voice spoke to the Doctor to jump into the lagoon. Google hallucinations, clinical depression and psychotic depression.

These guys hear voices, they see stuffs other people can't see. It has nothing to do with money, although a feeling of hopelessness and worthlessness may be a causative factor of depression.

Like you said, we need to be watchful and take good care of those around us by keeping a close watch. What led to the suicide mission started a long time ago, those around him should have seen all that, but they were blinded by the flashy car and driver... You see why I said it has nothing to do with money?

Nigerians worship money a lot, and immediately we see rich men, we assume all is well with them. Some wealthy folks are unhappy and depressed. Meanwhile, some poor men are happy. Go to the IDPs and watch 'hopeless' kids play football.
Watch their parents live happily in harmony with their peers.

As a country, we need to practise and preach contentment. When you fail to meet up with the standards you set, manage what you have and continue to strive. If all these fail to change the feeling, visit a psychiatrist immediately. Nigeria has over 16 specialized psychiatry institutions with over 20 other psychiatry units in all tertiary health institutions in Nigeria.. They are not built solely for the so called unclad "ma. d" men on the streets, they are meant for everyone, including those on suit and tie.

As the body gets weak and sick, so do our minds. The Doctor failed to treat his mind.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... by greatgod2012(f): 9:56am On Mar 24, 2017
Acidosis:
Owing a car at 35 as a Doctor is not new and depression has nothing to do with money. If you graduate at 22, and get a job that pays at least N180,000-N200,000 monthly, you can own an SUV before 25 years.

Why haven't all the almajiri and IDPs committed suicide if poverty is a leading cause of depression?

I'm only surprised because as a Doctor, he should know more about depression and mental health than any other person.

The same way a voice tells someone to go na.k.ed and walk in rags on the street (those we called ma .d men) is the same way a voice spoke to the Doctor to jump into the lagoon. Google hallucinations, clinical depression and psychotic depression.

These guys hear voices, they see stuffs other people can't see. It has nothing to do with money, although a feeling of hopelessness and worthlessness may be a causative factor of depression.

Like you said, we need to be watchful and take good care of those around us by keeping a close watch. What led to the suicide mission started a long time ago, those around him should have seen all that, but they were blinded by the flashy car and driver... You see why I said it has nothing to do with money?

Nigerians worship money a lot, and immediately we see rich men, we assume all is well with them. Some wealthy folks are unhappy and depressed. Go to the IDPs and watch 'hopeless' kids play football.

As a country, we need to practise and preach contentment. When you fail to meet up with the standards you set, manage what you have and continue to strive. If all these fail to change the feeling, visit a psychiatrist immediately. Nigeria has over 16 specialized psychiatry institutions with over 20 other psychiatry units in all tertiary health institutions in Nigeria.. They are not built solely for the so called unclad "ma. d" men on the streets, they are meant for everyone, including those on suit and tie.

As the body gets weak and sick, so do our minds.

100% correct!

1 Like

Re: At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... by lalabrother: 6:00pm On Mar 24, 2017
Acidosis:

Nigerians worship money a lot, and immediately we see rich men, we assume all is well with them. Some wealthy folks are unhappy and depressed. Meanwhile, some poor men are happy. Go to the IDPs and watch 'hopeless' kids play football.
Watch their parents live happily in harmony with their peers.

As the body gets weak and sick, so do our minds. The Doctor failed to treat his mind.

You made a valid point
Re: At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... by lalabrother: 6:03pm On Mar 24, 2017
Lalasticlala, Mynd44
lalabrother:
Was thinking about the fellow that jumped into the lagoon the other day and I just couldn't help but feel sad... I spent time wondering what could have moved the young man to such an action. Heard on radio that he was just 35 years...

At 35 he was a doctor... Had a car, and even a driver... from the Nigerian standard that sounds like a successful young man in all ramifications.

There probably were lots of his secondary school mates or his university mates envying him.
But truth is no one knew what he was going through...

I concluded that he was having a bout of depression and it took a bad turn.

I will ask some pertinent questions.
When last did we check on a friend that we haven't heard from in a while?
When last did we visit some one we knew was finding things difficult?
When we see someone who had it going so well and all of a sudden is finding it hard to make ends meet, do we make fun of them?
When was the last time we called the names of particular people in our circle during our prayers with our creator, to intercede on their behalf ?
The economy is tough and truly people are finding it more difficult to survive.
I have noticed personally an increased number of destitutes in Lagos lately.

We need to watch out for each other... We need to call, we need to visit. I am hoping we check in on others from time to time(physically).
We never know who needs just an ear to listen to all the problems he/she is going through.

Let's be more caring... To at least call someone per day just to say hello!

Lets ponder on this for a few seconds and decide to assist each other psychologically& spiritually today.
Re: At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... by thorpido(m): 7:34pm On Mar 24, 2017
He actually didn't own the SUV,it belonged to his mom and the driver was employed to take him around.
There are indications the family knew all was not well because the mother visited him often while at work.The driver was for someone to be around him.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Ways To Get Your Parents To Say Yes To Anything You Want! / How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly / I Have A Lot Of Reasons To Thank God (photos)*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.