Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,087 members, 7,970,329 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 07:00 AM

Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs (6286 Views)

Photos:see What Unemployment Has Caused In Our Country / Massive Bank Recruitment June/july 2012 / Ex Cbn Governor, Soludo Signs On =n=10 Polymer Note: Where Is Sanusi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by aimans: 2:59pm On Dec 23, 2009
1stly, we should stop sentiments & think objectively as nigerians who pray 4 d betterment of this country. It's a general fact that lapses of a leader can be easily covered up while in office.

Soludo is an academician, a prof. of economics. His facts of live about finances is book and not really what is happening in reality. Sanusi is a co-banker right away from beginning of his career. Soludo was a lecturer b4 his tenure at CBN while Sanusi has been in banking system as a risk analyst & credit management officer. Soludo had little intrics of banking system b4 he moved 2 CBN but Sanusi is more acquinted with the system.

Base on the above view points, there were lapses in Soludo's administration while he was in office as CBN Governor. Virtually all banks in nigeria did cook their books. Surprisingly, Soludo & his management team couldn't un-cover one despite the credit crunch that hit the global economy during his tenure. All what our then CBN Gov could say was that Nigeria would not be affected as if we were living in another planet different from other worlds. Definitely, he covered up his ass & patch the path.

Let's look @ it from another angle. I believe we all did economics while we were in secondary school. In the subject, we have a topic called Commerce which is simply defined as Trade & Aids to Trade. Trade means Manufacturing & Producttion while Aids to Trade  means Services. Manufacturing & Productions are the bed rock of economic development while service firms oil the bed rock for easy growth. Banking falls under services.
But the "reality" then in Nigeria was that our manufacturing companies were collapsing while bankings were thriving up. Meaning that foundation is collapsing but surface is rising up. Without production NO service. Nigerian economy is a funny where foundation collapsed but top "rised firmly" surviving global economy crisis.

Soludo has failed in discharging his duty as CBN Gov. who ought to regulate nigerian economy through commercial banks. What the man end up doing was to be wining & dinning with "Bank-thieves" who, obviously had given him his own share of "Bad-Debt Planned Profit Sharing Surplus Declaration".

Fellow Nigerians, let's put sentiments aside. I can't praise Sanusi for now, cos he's still in office. I give lots of credits to Tinubu & little to Fashola. This is because if Tinubu's administration had not been good, Fashola would have been able to perform to this level. That's the way we should look at it.

God bless our father land, NIGERIA.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 23, 2009
@ Metal-gong, I'll answer your 4th question only. I have answered the others earlier in the thread. It's simply because our leaders lack shame while their conscience has been seared with hot iron of greed and people like you refuse to hold them accountable for their actions. If Soludo is the best you guys have for 2010 then may God help this country.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by bidemi12(m): 3:05pm On Dec 23, 2009
aimans:

1stly, we should stop sentiments & think objectively as nigerians who pray 4 d betterment of this country. It's a general fact that lapses of a leader can be easily covered up while in office.

Soludo is an academician, a prof. of economics. His facts of live about finances is book and not really what is happening in reality. Sanusi is a co-banker right away from beginning of his career. Soludo was a lecturer b4 his tenure at CBN while Sanusi has been in banking system as a risk analyst & credit management officer. Soludo had little intrics of banking system b4 he moved 2 CBN but Sanusi is more acquinted with the system.

Base on the above view points, there were lapses in Soludo's administration while he was in office as CBN Governor. Virtually all banks in nigeria did cook their books. Surprisingly, Soludo & his management team couldn't un-cover one despite the credit crunch that hit the global economy during his tenure. All what our then CBN Gov could say was that Nigeria would not be affected as if we were living in another planet different from other worlds. Definitely, he covered up his backside & patch the path.

Let's look @ it from another angle. I believe we all did economics while we were in secondary school. In the subject, we have a topic called Commerce which is simply defined as Trade & Aids to Trade. Trade means Manufacturing & Producttion while Aids to Trade  means Services. Manufacturing & Productions are the bed rock of economic development while service firms oil the bed rock for easy growth. Banking falls under services.
But the "reality" then in Nigeria was that our manufacturing companies were collapsing while bankings were thriving up. Meaning that foundation is collapsing but surface is rising up. Without production NO service. Nigerian economy is a funny where foundation collapsed but top "rised firmly" surviving global economy crisis.

Soludo has failed in discharging his duty as CBN Gov. who ought to regulate nigerian economy through commercial banks. What the man end up doing was to be wining & dinning with "Bank-thieves" who, obviously had given him his own share of "Bad-Debt Planned Profit Sharing Surplus Declaration".

Fellow Nigerians, let's put sentiments aside. I can't praise Sanusi for now, cos he's still in office. I give lots of credits to Tinubu & little to Fashola. This is because if Tinubu's administration had not been good, Fashola would have been able to perform to this level. That's the way we should look at it.

Thank you jooo. this is another sane person in our midst. Hunger has deprived most people of logic in Ngeria. But hunger shall not win.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by bidemi12(m): 3:08pm On Dec 23, 2009
stealth01:

@ Metal-gong, I'll answer your 4th question only. I have answered the others earlier in the thread. It's simply because our leaders lack shame while their conscience has been seared with hot iron of greed and people like you refuse to hold them accountable for their actions. If Soludo is the best you guys have for 2010 then may God help this country.

Na waoh!! another sane person in our midst. It seems there is still hope for Nigeria. We are not all crazy.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by denzel2009: 3:08pm On Dec 23, 2009
[b]
[/b]

Are you being sarcastic?
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by axeman85(m): 3:11pm On Dec 23, 2009
thanks guys who have commented positvely on this tread. we need to put sentiments aside and be realistic and true with ourselves here. we al have friends and families who have also lost their job or about to loose theirs of gotten a salary reduction. i for one looking back to work in naija preferrably banking sector. but  despite what is going on now meaning probability of getting a job now is low doesnt mean i will come and justify or support soludo for his wrong doings neither will i praise sanusi as the end justifies the means time will tell. but for now i tell him sanusi well done.

we are saying sanusi is bad soludo is good despite the rot he covered up , we will still be the same people to start cursing and shouting if sanusi had also followed in soludos footsteps and the banks collapses in the future with depositors funds trapped in it.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by babalawo(m): 3:17pm On Dec 23, 2009
babalawo:

@stealth01

While you made a lot of sense about your views and I truly see the angle that you are coming from I will be more comfortable with a topic heading like
' Of Soludo's reforms, Bank massive Layoffs and soludo's timing and integrity as a Guber.Candidate".-To say Solodu is the CAUSE will be wrong.It will be right to say he wasn't responsible enough as a CBN Governor to have managed our banks.While I view his consolidation agenda as laudable he did poorly and he did great injustice to his academic and professional pedigree in the manner in which he handled his job when it mattered most.

In Time of crises you know what a man is made of. Soludo was the CBN governor when the global economy was booming. Between 2002 and 2007 nearly all economies in the world witness a robust boom.It was easier to consolidate banks then-and it was the right thing to do but as an Economist I had expected him to know that business boom and bust cycles applied to the broader economy.-Just like the proverbail Joseph in the Bible who dreamt of seven years of excessive wealth followed by seven years of great famine.-But our Soludo was not as smart as Joseph,aside from the excess crude account consolidate account accurals,soludo maybe was carried away by the boom in the banking sector that he threw sound and risk management pratices to the winds.

The CBN under soludo did liitle or nothing to regulate the banks!-now I wonder why some Nigerians attached emotions to issues.Soludo as competent as he was did say all was well with the banks-while its was obvious to discerning analyst that there was fire on the mountain.The CBN under him even went as far as making advertorials in favor of intercontinental shedding the truth from us when it was obvious to us that foreign investment in the bank has been repatriated and the bank had made a lot of losses due to high exposure and an unregulated exposures to the Oil price surge.

I have noticed that any body that tries to put the point straight about Soludo is quickly painted a Sanusi apologist.This view,which depicts a very hollow reasoning is not surprising bearing the culture of mediocrity that holds our political culture sway in the country .Sanusi the clean-up master has made some mistakes in his clean up approach which has also given credence to tag some of actionshighly questionable.

Now the big one ,is it morally right for solodu to now come out immediately after a messing ending of his CBN career to seek political post? This action to me gives up a clearer picture of the man Soludo. Alan greenspan former FED chairman under which the seeds of the present Subprime crises were sown has in a couple of time come out to admit some inadequacies on his part when he was the FEd chairman. Greenspan will not seek a political office while the US still battles out of recession.One is quick to ask that are we sub -humans in this part of the world

I understand while some people, particularly anabarians are blindly supporting Soludo.This is under the quise of '' the crip of Chris UBA must be broken '' .Now we have a new tandem that is the DEVIL you know Is WORST than the Devil you dont know!!! But for even minded person a spade is a spade,Soludo is not the type of leader that will take anambra out of its current quarmires.

I have strong reservations againts Soludo:

1.Soludo is not a level -Headed Individual-He took all the glory with the banking consolidation-great job! but we should all remember that the world economy was really expanding then now the world is in recession he's detaching himself from his inaction's.Is this the type of leadreship we want in Nigeria?

1.Soludo is not just a common politician but a desperate one-He came out like all other politician has been saying'the people pressured me to contest".we are tired of this story we need people who believe in themselves and will come out and say I want to be governor because I have prepared myself to be governor not people who dont have direction in life and will always claim my people asked me to contest.-Nobody will go for a job interview and answer to a question in such manners!
Secondly on this point, there is nothing to suggest intelligence in his approach,and speeches so far in his quest for the government house in anambra. his campaigns has been what we have been used to- sycopancy and empty promises -making anambra dubai while not telling us how he will get the power supply to build and sustain his dubai,where he will get the police to police the dubai.

1.Soludo has no moral conscience- a Soludo that those not have the guts to accept his inadequacies whilst as a CBN governor is not cultured enough to lead Anambra.

I would have viewed him a man of content and character if he has been sending his time oustide office highlighting on what went wrong with his reforms,and how to cope with the damaging effect of a world recession on Nigerians banks.

I can only pray for those that have lost jobs- the courage to forge ahead.

Reposted!!!
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by spiderman(m): 3:19pm On Dec 23, 2009
stealth01:

Jodeci it is because of psychofans and praise singers like you that this country is yet to be developed and the sooner we start holding our leaders accountable for their actions and non-actions the better for all of us and if you are well informed you would have heard the present governor admit the failure of the regulatory framework of the previous CBN administration

Fire007 On the contrary, I am not a fan of your so called “silly mallam” neither do I approve of his recent unreserved comments in the media (considering the sensitive nature of his office), I also do not support the manner in which the banking reform was executed as there was obviously some selective justice in the decisions that were taken but the truth of the matter is that “if wasn’t broken in the first place there wouldn’t have been any need to fix it”

Before you come out to make public comments like “the banks were all fine” you need to have sufficient information to prove it. There’s enough data to show that these stressed banks were frequent borrowers in the Expanded Discount Window of the CBN (created by Charles Soludo) which is more than enough reason to tell you these banks were virtually struggling to meet their obligations locally and internationally

Also, if Mr. Akingbola’s bank was fine before Sanusi Lamido took over affairs at CBN and he has nothing to hide why hasn’t he surrendered himself to the authorities for investigation up till now?

The problem with us Nigerians is that we celebrate mediocrity in the lives of our leaders but until we make our leaders accountable for their actions we cannot make headway.
We need to put in place systems that would make anyone seeking political offices understand that such positions are meant for service and not to feed their greed

Ceebee I agree with you that we may be heading for a negative progression but you should note that the seed Soludo sowed while in office was that of bad leadership which must not be celebrated both in the past and recent CBN administrations

I am not from the eastern part of the country neither am I a northerner but I foresee a Soludo if elected to be governor of any state in this country would not represent the interest of the people but choose to pursue a selfish agenda

The harm he caused the industry and society at large due to his lax supervision while at the Apex bank is enough reason for him to drop his political agenda if he has an atom of conscience left in him.

i must say, ur' observations are spot-on and it appears u have a sound understanding of the issues at hand. I find Soludo a big disappointment especially coming from the back-drop of his "achievements" with capital base consolidation; (though even that could be called to question now). He toyed with the life-savings of Nigerians to cover-up the iniquitous acts of members of his "gang"(bank chiefs). I dont think he deserves to hold any public office but the decision lies with his people and we should respect how they vote regardless of our opinions.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by StEdwin(m): 3:30pm On Dec 23, 2009
Well, One thing about this discussion is that Those blaming soludo for the banking woes are those who were once bank workers and have lost their jobs or are related in one way or the other to sacked bank workers on the other hand those in support of soludo are Anambrians who believe that their salvation lies in Soludo hands.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/color]

Let's analyse this properly, when the going was good for those in the banking sector, no one said a thing or made a comment about Soludo's ineffectiveness. Being a bank worker was like an equivalent of working in an oil company but now it seems things have fallen apart.

I urge Nairalanders to pray for the country at this moment cos the politians u guys are exalting or critising have deaf ears. Only God can heal them and forgive them of their faults.

MERRY CHRISTMAS[color=#000099]
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by babalawo(m): 3:40pm On Dec 23, 2009
St. Edwin:

Well, One thing about this discussion is that Those blaming soludo for the banking woes are those who were once bank workers and have lost their jobs or are related in one way or the other to sacked bank workers on the other hand those in support of soludo are Anambrians who believe that their salvation lies in Soludo hands.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#006600][/color]

on which premise is your argument based
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by aimans: 3:43pm On Dec 23, 2009
@ denzel20009

We are not arguing nor fighting over this issue. But I will keep saying it; Let's be analysing issue from objective viewpoint. I'm not going to answer ur question nor fire back.

All contributors should know that the bets analysts over this issue are people from financial world. And the issue requires simple wisdom & analysis.

Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by denzel2009: 3:54pm On Dec 23, 2009
aimans:

@ denzel20009

We are not arguing nor fighting over this issue. But I will keep saying it; Let's be analysing issue from objective viewpoint. I'm not going to answer your question nor fire back.

All contributors should know that the bets analysts over this issue are people from financial world. And the issue requires simple wisdom & analysis.

We are on thesame page mate, one luv!
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by Katsumoto: 3:55pm On Dec 23, 2009
We have to look at Nigeria as a whole before passing judgement. Nigeria is one of the countries in the world where incompetent people hold office (both elected and appointed) due to nepotism. Both Soludo and Sanusi are not competent enough for that position. If they re the best that Nigeria can offer, then Nigeria is in trouble.

Soludo
Despite the praises he received for the consolidation exercise, it is obvious that he was negligent in his duties. Like a previous poster noted, he was busy receiving awards from banks while the banks cooked their books. Cooking books was not the biggest offence of the banks under Soludo's reign but poor corporate governance, gross mismanagement, and fraud. How was Ibru able to grant 70% of loans to her family and friends? Easy, a lack of monetary governance. A competent governor would have checked the excesses of these banks. It was either he let it happen because he was receiving brown envelopes or he did not have the competence.

Sanusi
He should be praised for identifying the flaws within the system but I must say, he seems to be out of his depth. Did he not realise that his fire brigade approach would not only erode consumer confidence but investor confidence as well? Did he inject enough funds into each bank to have the power to fire the bank chiefs? I don't think so. Removing those chiefs and charging them was the right thing to do but it should have been done systematically and quietly to prevent panic in the economy. But he probably did not realise the effects of his actions or he was more concerned with being a false hero.

To those arguing that EFCC would have gone after soludo if he did wrong, they conveniently forget the fact that it is not a crime to be negligent. Negligence is not a crime; you only get fired if you do your job badly. Sanusi can and will only go after Soludo if there is evidence of collusion between Soludo and the disgraced bank chiefs.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by saltnsugar(m): 3:57pm On Dec 23, 2009
Its appalling to discredit the gains in the banking sector during Soludo's tenure.In Nigeria ethnicity,Religion and the pull him down syndrome reign supreme.One person asked a question what was the banks like before he came into office,what was it when he was in office,and what was it when he left.If soludo is still in the office will there be all this banking crisis?
In Nigeria its easier to cast doubt on your predecessor when you cant match his  good deeds in the office eg. Modibbo on El rufai etc. For Sanusi's sychophants what will he say he has achieved,is it lack of confidence in the banks,lay offs of breadwinners {in Nigeria an average breadwinner is taking care of 10 persons}.The whole story has been Sanusi's story.We hope the story stands after he has left office.
During Abacha regime there were explosions in Nigeria and he blamed it on the opposition but the truth came out when he left or died.
@ poster you can blame soludo all you want but the truth remains,what is the state of the bank as we can see when he was there and now.

Well, One thing about this discussion is that Those blaming soludo for the banking woes are those who were once bank workers and have lost their jobs or are related in one way or the other to sacked bank workers on the other hand those in support of soludo are Anambrians who believe that their salvation lies in Soludo hands

The above statement is ludicrous, So Soludo was working for the Anambrians,or that Anambrians dont work in the bank or are immuned to Sanusi's actions? The opposite is the case because those affected by the layoffs will blame Sanusi because if Soludo has been in office they will still have been providing for their families.With the above statement i conclude that there alot of ill informed people on this site.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by StEdwin(m): 3:58pm On Dec 23, 2009
babalawo:

Why is everyone crying foul now when jobs are being lost. Must things always happened before we find out why they sholud happen.
I'm not from Anambra neither a banker but I think lets be objective about this for once and not be sentimental.
Soludo did his best, Sanusi is in charge now. Lets' see how things will take shape and not point accusing fingers.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by aimans: 4:04pm On Dec 23, 2009

Prof. Soludo should had used a simple approach of definition of commerce to look into banks financial statements that were submitted to CBN during his tenure.
In developed nations, what make them to be so is Production which serve as bedrock and not services like banking.

This remind me of my HOD while in the university. He said nigeria economy is a funny where companies are dying but banks are thriving up to declare huge profit in their income statement, so from where have they been making the profits?

GOD bless our father land, NIGERIA.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by otukpo(f): 4:30pm On Dec 23, 2009
babalawo:

@stealth01

While you made a lot of sense about your views and I truly see the angle that you are coming from I will be more comfortable with a topic heading like
' Of Soludo's reforms, Bank massive Layoffs and soludo's timing and integrity as a Guber.Candidate".-To say Solodu is the CAUSE will be wrong.It will be right to say he wasn't responsible enough as a CBN Governor to have managed our banks.While I view his consolidation agenda as laudable he did poorly and he did great injustice to his academic and professional pedigree in the manner in which he handled his job when it mattered most.

In Time of crises you know what a man is made of. Soludo was the CBN governor when the global economy was booming. Between 2002 and 2007 nearly all economies in the world witness a robust boom.It was easier to consolidate banks then-and it was the right thing to do but as an Economist I had expected him to know that business boom and bust cycles applied to the broader economy.-Just like the proverbail Joseph in the Bible who dreamt of seven years of excessive wealth followed by seven years of great famine.-But our Soludo was not as smart as Joseph,aside from the excess crude account consolidate account accurals,soludo maybe was carried away by the boom in the banking sector that he threw sound and risk management pratices to the winds.

The CBN under soludo did liitle or nothing to regulate the banks!-now I wonder why some Nigerians attached emotions to issues.Soludo as competent as he was did say all was well with the banks-while its was obvious to discerning analyst that there was fire on the mountain.The CBN under him even went as far as making advertorials in favor of intercontinental shedding the truth from us when it was obvious to us that foreign investment in the bank has been repatriated and the bank had made a lot of losses due to high exposure and an unregulated exposures to the Oil price surge.

I have noticed that any body that tries to put the point straight about Soludo is quickly painted a Sanusi apologist.This view,which depicts a very hollow reasoning is not surprising bearing the culture of mediocrity that holds our political culture sway in the country .Sanusi the clean-up master has made some mistakes in his clean up approach which has also given credence to tag some of actionshighly questionable.

Now the big one ,is it morally right for solodu to now come out immediately after a messing ending of his CBN career to seek political post? This action to me gives up a clearer picture of the man Soludo. Alan greenspan former FED chairman under which the seeds of the present Subprime crises were sown has in a couple of time come out to admit some inadequacies on his part when he was the FEd chairman. Greenspan will not seek a political office while the US still battles out of recession.One is quick to ask that are we sub -humans in this part of the world

I understand while some people, particularly anabarians are blindly supporting Soludo.This is under the quise of '' the crip of Chris UBA must be broken '' .Now we have a new tandem that is the DEVIL you know Is WORST than the Devil you dont know!!! But for even minded person a spade is a spade,Soludo is not the type of leader that will take anambra out of its current quarmires.

I have strong reservations againts Soludo:

1.Soludo is not a level -Headed Individual-He took all the glory with the banking consolidation-great job! but we should all remember that the world economy was really expanding then now the world is in recession he's detaching himself from his inaction's.Is this the type of leadreship we want in Nigeria?

1.Soludo is not just a common politician but a desperate one-He came out like all other politician has been saying'the people pressured me to contest".we are tired of this story we need people who believe in themselves and will come out and say I want to be governor because I have prepared myself to be governor not people who dont have direction in life and will always claim my people asked me to contest.-Nobody will go for a job interview and answer to a question in such manners!
Secondly on this point, there is nothing to suggest intelligence in his approach,and speeches so far in his quest for the government house in anambra. his campaigns has been what we have been used to- sycopancy and empty promises -making anambra dubai while not telling us how he will get the power supply to build and sustain his dubai,where he will get the police to police the dubai.

1.Soludo has no moral conscience- a Soludo that those not have the guts to accept his inadequacies whilst as a CBN governor is not cultured enough to lead Anambra.

I would have viewed him a man of content and character if he has been sending his time oustide office highlighting on what went wrong with his reforms,and how to cope with the damaging effect of a world recession on Nigerians banks.

I can only pray for those that have lost jobs- the courage to forge ahead.

Very sensible post.

Johnpaul88:

Lets be sincere for once. During the time Soludo held sway at the CBN, banking is one of the best job in the country. Are we arguing that monies used to pay the numerous workers never existed or did it suddenly grew wings and flew away as soon as Soludo completed his term in office ? I find it difficult to appreciate the magnitude of blame being heaped at his head, as the masterminder of these present plight. Again,Where did these "troubled banks" get the money they used in multiplying their branches' strenght or don't they have them ab initio ? In as much we keep holding Soludo culpable for the present travails, let us not lose sight of the fact that he actually iniated the audit process,on the premise that he will be given second tenure to implement them. Not withstanding the foregoing, presence of a few cobwebs and rats in a 50-storey building, is not an indicator that the building is near-collapse or have collapsed, as we are being mearnt to understand. I know if it were under Soludo that the audit process was actually implemented, not too many people will know that it took place b/c it will not hold the media frontburner like this. If it were Sanusi that was at CBN when Soludo did his consolidation exercise,i bet u he will never have handled this situation thus. He's just in a hurry to create an impression.

U are so naive. I don't even know where to start answering u.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by babalawo(m): 4:37pm On Dec 23, 2009
saltnsugar:

Its appalling to discredit the gains in the banking sector during Soludo's tenure.In Nigeria ethnicity,Religion and the pull him down syndrome reign supreme.One person asked a question what was the banks like before he came into office,what was it when he was in office,and what was it when he left.If soludo is still in the office will there be all this banking crisis?
In Nigeria its easier to cast doubt on your predecessor when you cant match his  good deeds in the office eg. Modibbo on El rufai etc. For Sanusi's sychophants what will he say he has achieved,is it lack of confidence in the banks,lay offs of breadwinners {in Nigeria an average breadwinner is taking care of 10 persons}.The whole story has been Sanusi's story.We hope the story stands after he has left office.
During Abacha regime there were explosions in Nigeria and he blamed it on the opposition but the truth came out when he left or died.
@ poster you can blame soludo all you want but the truth remains,what is the state of the bank as we can see when he was there and now.

Well, One thing about this discussion is that Those blaming soludo for the banking woes are those who were once bank workers and have lost their jobs or are related in one way or the other to sacked bank workers on the other hand those in support of soludo are Anambrians who believe that their salvation lies in Soludo hands

The above statement is ludicrous, So Soludo was working for the Anambrians,or that Anambrians dont work in the bank or are immuned to Sanusi's actions? The opposite is the case because those affected by the layoffs will blame Sanusi because if Soludo has been in office they will still have been providing for their families.With the above statement i conclude that there alot of ill informed people on this site.

Nigeria will continue to be impossible if  in anything that we do we narrow it to religion and ethnicity.people have the right to expression without prejudice to all these.
A country is like a coach of trains while  a leading coach will be in front- we all move together.No body no ethnic group can really move and leap above the other.Just like the banking  industry,when it was booming some of us noted that no sector can outpace her immediate environment now we all see that the correction has taking its toll.We either grow together as a people or fall together any temporal distance by a subset or group will always correct towards the critical mass.

To your question :what was banking b4 during after soludo.-this is not an intelligent question for the mindset of the inquirer is far from basic corporate and business sense.For me its just like asking this question: you rush an accident patient to an hospital your patient has no external injury but deep internal cuts.Unfortunately your patient dies under the surgeon knife.then you ask what was the condition when you brought the patient to the hospital!!!For all you care your patient was alive when he got to the hospital and it is beyond reason for you to see any reason why he should die.
It takes industry watchers and not the general public to know what has been happening underneath.

It doesnt take a second thought that you too might be suffering from the ill -informed glut.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by Katsumoto: 4:49pm On Dec 23, 2009
babalawo:

Nigeria will continue to be impossible if  in anything that we do we narrow it to religion and ethnicity.people have the right to expression without prejudice to all these.
A country is like a coach of trains while  a leading coach will be in front- we all move together.No body no ethnic group can really move and leap above the other.Just like the banking  industry,when it was booming some of us noted that no sector can outpace her immediate environment now we all see that the correction has taking its toll.We either grow together as a people or fall together any temporal distance by a subset or group will always correct towards the critical mass.

To your question :what was banking b4 during after soludo.-this is not an intelligent question for the mindset of the inquirer is far from basic corporate and business sense.For me its just like asking this question: you rush an accident patient to an hospital your patient has no external injury but deep internal cuts.Unfortunately your patient dies under the surgeon knife.then you ask what was the condition when you brought the patient to the hospital!!!For all you care your patient was alive when he got to the hospital and it is beyond reason for you to see any reason why he should die.
It takes industry watchers and not the general public to know what has been happening underneath.

It doesnt take a second thought that you too might be suffering from the ill -informed glut.  

Very good reply.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by BIGERBOY1: 5:03pm On Dec 23, 2009
I have noticed that the argument here is caused by misunderstanding especially by those with non finance background, thats why some keep arguing that durring soludo things were good. Here is a crash coures in Finance;

1 No doubt soludo did a good job in consolidating the banking sector, but that was just half of the job

2 When u create banks that 'big' u need to monitor them moren (regulate), that second part soludo did not do

3 I just did a thesis on the consolidation and I found that some banks had negative working capital as early as 2005, the implication is that they were definately taking on more risk than they could handle

4 Here is a finance Basics Leverage (which the banks r guilty of having too much) creates abnormal profits, but so is the other side of it (losses)

This is where risk mgt comes in, Soludo should have known better as a financial economist that those profits the banks were making dont justify the excessive gambling and risk taking of those banks giving the vital role banks those banks play in the economy.

Looking at it in another angle we r lucky the productive economy (if we even have one!) dont depends on these banks coz they neva granted loans to the small bizs, But if it had depended the story would have been worse coz not just bankers will be loosing jobs, but the entire economy will be shedding jobs, and then we will start demanding our leaders be hanged for their omissions or commissions
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by babalawo(m): 5:09pm On Dec 23, 2009
BIGER BOY:

I have noticed that the argument here is caused by misunderstanding especially by those with non finance background, thats why some keep arguing that durring soludo things were good. Here is a crash coures in Finance;

1 No doubt soludo did a good job in consolidating the banking sector, but that was just half of the job

2 When u create banks that 'big' u need to monitor them moren (regulate), that second part soludo did not do

3 I just did a thesis on the consolidation and I found that some banks had negative working capital as early as 2005, the implication is that they were definately taking on more risk than they could handle

4 Here is a finance Basics Leverage (which the banks r guilty of having too much) creates abnormal profits, but so is the other side of it (losses)

This is where risk mgt comes in, Soludo should have known better as a financial economist that those profits the banks were making dont justify the excessive gambling and risk taking of those banks giving the vital role banks those banks play in the economy.

Looking at it in another angle we r lucky the productive economy (if we even have one!) dont depends on these banks coz they neva granted loans to the small bizs, But if it had depended the story would have been worse coz not just bankers will be loosing jobs, but the entire economy will be shedding jobs, and then we will start demanding our leaders be hanged for their omissions or commissions

Gbam!!!
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by Specialist900(m): 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2009
some responses points hope for this country. it shows us that some people really went to sch. and learnt something while some just wasted their time going to sch. have you ever seen a smoke without a fire or any shadow without an object? How on earth can pple say the crises started today. Soludo tried by leaving all the problems for sanusi to solve.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by bidemi12(m): 6:09pm On Dec 23, 2009
Specialist900:

some responses points hope for this country. it shows us that some people really went to sch. and learnt something while some just wasted their time going to sch. have you ever seen a smoke without a fire or any shadow without an object? How on earth can pple say the crises started today. Soludo tried by leaving all the problems for sanusi to solve.

GBAM!! GBAM!!! and another GBAM!!
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by GNBohr: 6:26pm On Dec 23, 2009
Pathetically most posts on this thread are uninformed. It portrays the daftness and dullness of most Nigerians when it comes to finance management and corporate governance. No wonder, the so called executives were those that failed woefully in the practical challenge of managing a corporate entity.

No wonder, Nigeria is yet to have a corporate behemoth like Toyota, Hyundai, Saipem, Shell, Emirates Airlines, Sony, Samsung, Procter and Gamble, Tata, Huawei, Ericsson, etc. The one that was formed by Obasanjo to give Nigeria the corporate lever in the comity of multinationals, is already on its knees. You all know the story of TRANSCORP.

We can not manage success, no wonder we can not run our refineries, we can not operate our Steel Mills at Ajaokuta, less wonder our PHCN is promoter of darkness. No wonder Concord is dead, African Ocean Line is no more, National Bank went into oblivion, Ibru Fisheries is in the graves, Okada Airline belong to history.

No wonder we heard the story of Bunmi Oni of Cadbury, no wonder almost all multinational corporations in Nigeria replaced all Nigerian MDs with expartriates. When you read comments like those posted you puke at the generic nature of our failures. I wonder if any one posting would allow his/her business to collapse because he want to do father christmas with business by carrying overheads that are not sustainable. Business is simple:

[list]
[li]Income>Expenditure = Profit
Income<Expenditure = Loss
Income=Expenditire = Break Even
Income = Sales = Revenue
Expenditure = Overheads + Operation Costs
Overheads = Personnel Costs + Management Costs
Operation Costs = Resource (material/equipment) utilisation costs
[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
I want you to proffer solution to a situation of LOSS in your business or family finances. If you are faced with  a situation of Excessive Expenditure, what measures would you take to keep your business afloat or keep your family finances tidy.

There is no room for sentiments or any BIGOTRY reasoning. Until we take sentiments away and do business plainly and absolutely proper, then we will solve all our problems in all the sectors of the economy.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by Specialist900(m): 6:31pm On Dec 23, 2009
@bidemi, seriously we need to educate these pple. about the issue of mallams, i can say boldly that there are mallams that are better than the ndi-igbos.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by bidemi12(m): 6:36pm On Dec 23, 2009
Specialist900:

@bidemi, seriously we need to educate these pple. about the issue of mallams, i can say boldly that there are mallams that are better than the ndi-igbos.

for people that did not understand what specialist900 just posted let me break it down. "It does not matter which tribe, religion or political affiliation you belong too, the bottom line is to perform when the lives of Nigerians is entrusted to you."
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by Specialist900(m): 6:43pm On Dec 23, 2009
@gnbohr, i suspect you hold a PhD degree in economics
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by Specialist900(m): 6:49pm On Dec 23, 2009
@bidemi, you shall live long
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by BabaOnileK: 6:54pm On Dec 23, 2009
Leadership is a difficult task  and it is said that the buck stops at the highest table in the office. Soludo  did some things right - Consolidation was necessary but
[list]
[li] there should have been a more thorough review of the management team after consolidation. A team managing less than NGN4 billion suddenly finds itself managing more than NGN30 billion and no one asks if the team was competent enough to handle the excess funds moreso when most of the offers were well oversubscribed[/li]

[li] it is a general norm that regulators do not hobnob too freely with those they oversee but Soludo was more a darling of the bankers than not. He became so close that even when CBN decided that a common year-end was in order for the industry, he backed down when most of his banker-CEO friends found fault with it. [/li]

[li] In the light of the dwindling value of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, quite an appreciable number of commentators wondered aloud at the positive reports from the banks given the huge exposure to margin loans yet the CBN under Soludo saw nothing wrong. He even permitted banks to declare their exposures beyond the accounting year. I am not an accountant but I took a basic accounting course and I know that losses/profits must be booked when incurred.[/li]

[li] There is a fundamental problem in the thinking of the management team of most banks else why would Zenith Bank own branches/offices on more than half of Ajose Adeogun. How come we only started having branches in far-flung places like Isolo, Ikotun and Egbeda in the past four years while some streets in the Ikeja or Ikoyi or V.I have two or more branches of the same bank irrespective of the length of the street. UBA has two branches on Idowu Taylor, Oceanic has two branches on Awolowo Road. Come to think of it a friend just told me last night that the Oceanic Bank at Ile-Epo bus stop on Ikotun road had 32 staff and was recently cut down to 15 staff on Monday. In these days of ATM usage, how many people go into the banking hall to withdraw sums or require banking services that will require such a branch have such a huge overhead? Least anyone tell me that the bulk of them were marketers, how much was the bank lending to the depositors to warrant such a huge overhead in the branch?[/li]

[li] If these guys were doing their jobs including CBN, it would have been noticed that the amount lent to SMEs/real sector had reduced compared to the amount of capital available to the banks. I did my masters in UK and could apply for a credit card of GBP500 after six months as a student. In retrospect a family friend with an established business that had been running for upwards of four years needed an overdraft of N100,000.00 and the branch manager asked for N10,000.00 to facilitate the loan approval process.[/li]

[li] Anyone complaining of the take-home pay of the bank workers should consider the hours they put in and the fact that there is no over-time pay in any of the local banks even if you have to come for weekend banking. Infact a friend told me that if she does not get to her office at least 15 minutes before opening time on Saturdays she has to pay NGn1000.00. In UK banks close their doors at the right time and in less than 30 minutes after the branch is locked up, not so in Nigeria here. My grouse is with the improper human capital appraisal process that does not even account for technological adavances and usages. You do not computerise your operations and maintain a structure that was in place when paper filing was the order of the day[/li]
[li] Sanusi might not be the angel - I question some moves of his but we needed the reforms[/li]
[/list]

I agree with the summation provided by GNBohr ,
No wonder, Nigeria is yet to have a corporate behemoth like Toyota, Hyundai, Saipem, Shell, Emirates Airlines, Sony, Samsung, Procter and Gamble, Tata, Huawei, Ericsson, etc. The one that was formed by Obasanjo to give Nigeria the corporate lever in the comity of multinationals, is already on its knees. You all know the story of TRANSCORP.

We can not manage success, no wonder we can not run our refineries, we can not operate our Steel Mills at Ajaokuta, less wonder our PHCN is promoter of darkness. No wonder Concord is dead, African Ocean Line is no more, National Bank went into oblivion, Ibru Fisheries is in the graves, Okada Airline belong to history.

No wonder we heard the story of Bunmi Oni of Cadbury, no wonder almost all multinational corporations in Nigeria replaced all Nigerian MDs with expartriates. When you read comments like those posted you puke at the generic nature of our failures. I wonder if any one posting would allow his/her business to collapse because he want to do father christmas with business by carrying overheads that are not sustainable. Business is simple:

Income>Expenditure = Profit
Income<Expenditure = Loss
Income=Expenditire = Break Even
Income = Sales = Revenue
Expenditure = Overheads + Operation Costs
Overheads = Personnel Costs + Management Costs
Operation Costs = Resource (material/equipment) utilisation costs
[li][/li]
I want you to proffer solution to a situation of LOSS in your business or family finances. If you are faced with a situation of Excessive Expenditure, what measures would you take to keep your business afloat or keep your family finances tidy.

There is no room for sentiments or any BIGOTRY reasoning. Until we take sentiments away and do business plainly and absolutely proper, then we will solve all our problems in all the sectors of the economy.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by drchucks: 6:59pm On Dec 23, 2009
Really,i think the management did
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by mekusxxx: 7:15pm On Dec 23, 2009
Competence is all about clearing the mess that an incompetent predecessor left behind. If Sanusi is better than Soludo (which of course I doubt 100000000x) left him clear the mess and etch his own name in gold (at least Soludo's name is etched in silver, if not gold, in the annals of CBN banking in Nigeria). Until then, Soludo is gone and Sanusi is in now charge. He takes the heat, just like Obama is taking the heat for George Bush's incompetence.
Re: Soludo Caused The Massive Bank Layoffs by babalawo(m): 7:31pm On Dec 23, 2009
mekusxxx:

Competence is all about clearing the mess that an incompetent predecessor left behind. If Sanusi is better than Soludo (which of course I doubt 100000000x) left him clear the mess and etch his own name in gold (at least Soludo's name is etched in silver, if not gold, in the annals of CBN banking in Nigeria). Until then, Soludo is gone and Sanusi is in now charge. He takes the heat, just like Obama is taking the heat for George Bush's incompetence.

If competence is all about clearing the mess of an incompetent predecessor then competence can't also be the fueling of a big mess for one's successor I think the greater challange for sanusi is for him to create a better CBN as an institution that is trully regulatory and supervisory.

I think you also missed the point of the whole argument-get to read the initiator's post-we all know that sanusi is in chagre now( its no news) and no body is is here to pity him for accepting the job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Very Urgent / Pictures Many Nigeria Peace Corps Members Can Relate To / Ascentech Services Limited Job Recruitment (5 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.